SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The dreaded shimmering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jymp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The dreaded shimmering
    Posted: September-11-2012 at 7:21pm
Is there any way to stop the shimmering in FSX with a GTX285 video card ?, I'm using Nvidia Inspector per Nicks instructions, but cannot use 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling, it kills my frame rates, any ideas are welcome, thanks.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2012 at 9:49am
not sure what shimmering you are referring to.

There is autogen shimmer, cockpit shimmer, fence shimmer..   these all are controlled with different settings. Typically cockpit and fence shimmers are controlled by using 2x Sparce Grid but there is always a give and take

there is no magic setting to kill all shimmers without removing performance

autogen shimmer is 'mostly' dampend down with Combined 8xS but 2x Sparce Grid will also clamp it further.

If you question that NV Inspector is working correctly, you can manually DELETE the FSX profile in NV Inspector and select to create a NEW profile, browsing NV Inspector to the location of FSX.exe, then set it up again as I outlined. Make sure you follow that outline for all settings espcially AA behavor flag set to NONE and also make sure AA in FSX is unchecked and flitering trilinear.

Jymp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jymp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2012 at 6:34pm
I'm referring to pretty much all shimmers, I see it at a distance in the planes, cockpits, buildings, not so much in the trees, but your right Nick, 8xS with 2x Sparse Grid SS does kill most of the shimmers, but 2x Sparse SS also kills my framerates, maybe I need to go ahead and buy the GTX570 you told me about, thanks for your input Nick, much appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic