SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Screenshot Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 69th Doolittle Raiders Reunion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 69th Doolittle Raiders Reunion
    Posted: April-17-2011 at 1:35am
Just thought I would share a few from my flight on a B25 "Show Me"

Beer
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 8:27pm
I hate you.Wink

I'm kidding of course. What a sweet ride!
John Patterson
Grandepuffo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grandepuffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 4:39am

I envy you!
Claudio
woodhick803 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodhick803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 6:47am
How lucky you are!!  Incredible!!  Like Cal says...
Jetline Hellfire GTO
Intel I7 960 quad core processor O/C'ed to 3.7GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX570 1.2Gb video card
6 Gb Muskin DDR3 CL 6 RAM
300Gb VelociRaptor dedicated hard drive
Win 7 Home Premium
Jeff Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 12:39pm
Wow! Great shots... I bet that was a lot of fun!
Keep the Blue Side UP! - Flight1 Sales / Customer Support

My Blog - http://somewheresimulated.blogspot.com
luap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 12:54pm
I was meandering around KRAC one day.  Somebody asked me if I felt like a plane ride... sure... it just happened to be a B-17.  What lousy timing.

Paul Scott Bartelt

The grass is always greener over the septic tank

DEaD View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 1:55pm
2 points....
1, As I hemmed and hawed over the cost, the wife said "when will you get another chance", so after I had my arm twisted I went... married the right one  Thumbs Up 

2, I left the ride feeling respected by the crew Beer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodhick803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 2:16pm
I rememberize once some years ago when the Commemorative (Confederate) Airforce B-17 came to our area.  i didn't even ask about going for a ride--I think it was something like $400 (can that be right?) and when  they flew out my good wife mentioned how much she had wanted for both of us to go for a ride.  Oh well, the road not taken...

Killer shot of the crew.  That guy in the way?  Not so much LOL
Jetline Hellfire GTO
Win 7 Home Premium
luap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 2:39pm
The rides are not inexpensive. These planes cost a lot to maintain, no less than the insurance costs associated with them, I imagine. They are flying museum pieces.

Paul Scott Bartelt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodhick803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 2:42pm
Oh yeah, I fully unerstan (sic).  My point being that it would have been a thousand dollar day by the time we drove to Charleston WV, spent the day etc.  Probably would have been worth every penny too.  So much for those cheap-o $100 hamburgers.
Jetline Hellfire GTO
Win 7 Home Premium
luap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 3:30pm
All I can tell you is there is nothing quite like being stuck between a couple of rumbling radials in a cramped bubble nose looking out over the landscape on all sides and watching is disappear beneath you.

Strange how we get to enjoy them, unlike the kids who went to work (and very often didn't come home) in them.  If you ever do get the chance, sit in that seat and think about that for a moment.  Kinda hits home.

Paul Scott Bartelt

DEaD View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 8:13am
Originally posted by luap luap wrote:

All I can tell you is there is nothing quite like being stuck between a couple of rumbling radials in a cramped bubble nose looking out over the landscape on all sides and watching is disappear beneath you.

Strange how we get to enjoy them, unlike the kids who went to work (and very often didn't come home) in them.  If you ever do get the chance, sit in that seat and think about that for a moment.  Kinda hits home.

sitting behind the windscreen with the gun all I could think is this keeps the wind out of your face and the bugs out of your teeth and ain't going to stop much... soboring
GlennC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlennC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2011 at 10:17pm
I have been only two places on earth I could feel the ghosts - Dachau and the Arizona Memorial.  I have had the honor (and the cash) to fly in three of the Collings Foundation aircraft, over a period of about five years. The B-17, the Huey, and the Mustang.  As Luap says, there was a great feeling of awe for the people that flew those machines when it really counted.  The flights were all high points of my life, especially the Mustang, in part from the realization of what they represented.  When I took the B-17 ride, it took me a couple hours to make up my mind about spending the money.  Part of what helped me make that decision was a guy who had to be in his mid-80s that I got to talking with.  He was a ball turret gunner during the war.  He was still there after I landed and asked my what I thought.  As I drive home, the thought hit me that I almost wished I had given him the ride.
Partly due to sticker shock, I thought about the Mustang for years before I did it.  It was money VERY well spent. To be able to actually fly the airplane thru some maneuvers, including a couple rolls, was literally priceless.

Glenn

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic