SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed[SOLVED] Weird day/night Texture

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: [SOLVED] Weird day/night Texture
    Posted: August-18-2017 at 9:24pm
Hi,

I recently installed Ultimate Terrain USA for P3Dv4 and it was installed correctly. I recently installed Ground Environment X and I am having a weird night texture in some areas and I cannot even figure out how to solve it. I took a shot day and night so you know what I am talking about. How can I fix my issue?

Thanks!
Brian

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2017 at 11:16am
Originally posted by flyingpogo22 flyingpogo22 wrote:

I recently installed Ground Environment X

Could you please tell me what GEX 'region' and version of 'Ground Environment X' you installed?

It may help to isolate and figure out what texture you might be seeing.
flyingpogo22 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2017 at 1:39pm
Hi,

I'm using ground environment P3d and I have version 1.10 installed.

Thanks
Brian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 12:24pm
Hello,

I think two textures that shows very bright textures are from UTX custom textures because when I turn them off it goes away but the textures are not there anymore.

Two textures I show are:
Forest
Golf courses.

I am using Ground Environment X World Edition for Prepar3dv4.and I have the latest version installed which is 1.10.

Please let me know what you find on your end?

Thanks!
Brian
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 1:22pm
There wont be any night lights on forest textures. Your first image above does not look like a golf course but the altitude may be skewing the image. It may be a park tile

I will look over the golf and park tiles and see if I spot any problem.

From now on when you come across something like this its best to drop the altitude to a point where it can be positively identified visually. Usually between 3-5K will do the trick.

It is also best to provide LON LAT MAG data that way I can go to the exact location and see if an issue shows up and can isolate specifics if it does.

UTX does not provide golf and park tiles they only place them based on landclass information.

Originally posted by flyingpogo22 flyingpogo22 wrote:

Hello,

I think two textures that shows very bright textures are from UTX custom textures because when I turn them off it goes away but the textures are not there anymore.

While I go through the checks here, if you can find the issue in the sim and give me location data that may help speed things up.  LON LAT MAG data

I do not see any problem with the 1st shot you show, that may be a park and UTX is placing the park where that park belongs. I will look at the night tiles for them and the golfs but if I do not find a problem I will need specific location data from you to look at here

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 2:22pm
I have gone through our masters as well as the release version tiles for parks and golf courses. I am not seeing any issues here.

I also flew several night flights in different cities looking for night tile issues with them. I could not find any problem or what you are seeing.

It may a rouge tile I have not come across and can not locate. There is also the possibility of some kind of corruption on your end.

At this point will need you to locate this issue like you did in the first post, but this time grab images from a lower altitude, and also, post specific LON LAT MAG ALT information (SHIFT+S) so I can recreate the exact location on this end and check it.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 2:58pm
Sure,

I'll take more shots and I do know there is a big one in north of Tampa. I will post all the screenshots with the lat and lot and altitude too.

Thanks for your help.

Brian
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 4:30pm
I did a nighttime flight with search from Tampa International, north. A good grid search.

I found no issue with tiles that appear at night like you show in your 2nd shot.

I will definitely need location data for what you are seeing.

And to be sure we are not dealing with another addon..  

Do you have any Orbx products installed?

Are you only using UTX USA for the landclass or do you have anything else installed that changes vector landclass?

Do you have any other texture products installed?

Any lighting type programs?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 4:52pm
Hi Nick,

I only have UTX USA and Canada installed for P3Dv4 and recently bought GEX World Edition for P3D. No other add ons beside only have PMDG ngx.

I will post more pictures this evening and I will list exactly location day and night so you can research it on your end.

Thanks,
Brian
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 5:26pm
Thanks..  that should get me to what you are seeing. If it isn't showing here then I would suspect a corrupt files on your end but at least I can ID what files are in use.

No one else has reported it and I would think someone else would have come across it by now.

Lets get the exact tile ID'd and go from there.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 6:24pm
Okay, here are more screenshots. Looks like it's forest/park file. Golf course seem to be ok.

I am only using UTX (landclass by UTX) and GEX World Edition P3D.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 6:46pm
Ok I will look here

One thing I do notice about your night shots is the lighting is exceptionally burned and blotchy as in the gamma or some other setting is being pushed too high.

Do you change monitor or driver settings for night flight?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 7:18pm
I increased my contrast to get rid of that annoying night textures. If I put the gamma and contrast in normal range it looks like white box.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 7:22pm
This is what have here...  and by the looks of your images something is being pushed far over bright on your system at night which may be triggering a distortion with the park tiles..

I think we are looking for something on your end based on how burned and bright the night lighting is in your images.

I do not touch anything but Nvidia Control panel brightness..  I set it to 35% (normal 50%) for night flying but even if I leave it alone and don't touch it, I still do not see what you do.

Same as your 1st location:

NOTE: That hard strait edge is just the way the tiles will appear. There are no masks involved with the park files so the hard edge that you see is simply how those will show in many circumstances.

2nd location

So.. here is my assessment. Your night environment render has some kind of excessive setting that is overdone and it is possible the park tiles may be a hair out on 0-0-0 RGB black. They are in SDK specification regardless.

No one else has said anything about those night tiles in the years since we released them, you are the first, therefore I must assume your system is being pushed to make night lights far brighter and more intense than they would ever show in real life and in doing so it may be tipping the scale on the park tile night maps.

Solution...  readjust your driver or monitor correctly for night flying. Those lights are so bright and causing them to look muddy with no clarity.

I could try adjusting the park LM night tile black level, but if I did, it would only be for you as no one else has ever posted this issue and I doubt we would ever see it. I am not even sure that is the problem.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 7:25pm
I think I solved my problem. It's the PTA! I reset it and night textures looks back to normal. I'm going to play around. I am so sorry for your time but I do appreciate your help!!
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 7:37pm
I asked if there were any other addons running
Here is another shot of your 2nd location

I posted yours first here and mine 2nd

I noticed you do not have UTX roads with the night maps for them enabled nor do you have UTX road night lighting enabled..  none the less, please look at the intensity of your night lights, they are so intense they look muddy with no details clarity in them.

That's quite ridiculous for night lighting.. GEP3D night lighting is exceptional for clarity and in this shot below I left the brightness at 50%

Your night environment is just plain nasty and over exposed.  I find addons that manipulate the lighting and shaders to be .... iffy at best  but people use them and this is what happens

They not only trash things like this they change color/tone/hue/contrast and the true colors usually go to near cartoon levels, or in some cases the addon washes color out. Unless the user understands exactly what they are doing and what real color looks like, I suggest avoiding them.   I even find the P3D HDR to be pretty bad in what it does to the tiles and never enable it.

We will call this resolved

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 9:07pm
As a frame of reference...   this is your image at night with the crazy PTA lighting changes and below is the GEP3D under normal conditions. You can see all the details in the lit parking lot and other locations where with yours its just a overblown, overexposed, muddy blotch with no details.

I am surprised you didn't see that yourself.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 11:53pm
Nick,

I want to tell you that I am trying to make city lights looks just like real life. They are bright enough. I have a real photo of night lights and it's very similar to my setting in my simulator. Your lights looks too soft and too low brightness, not close to real life. We all have our own preferences.

I don't use autogen at all because all of my flights are in high altitude flying. FPS in my simulator is so super smooth without autogen.

So tonight I've been playing around in the settings in the UTX software and I found this texture is the only problem I'm having is city park under other textures. I turned it off, viola, that annoying bright texture is gone and now my night flying is much better.

Do you want to check that out and find out if that was converted to night correctly? This is the only texture, everything else is perfect.

Thanks!
Brian
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 11:58pm
Well I'm not sure where you get 'real world' from...   I have been a pilot for years and the lighting looks nothing like what you show

Night aerial photos are altered for artistic look... they are usually long exposure and color enhanced.  Although I do agree the sim programming could push the illumination levels higher, nothing like what you show. At night a camera lens is highly sensitive to light sources and will overexpose if the person taking the image does not know how to compensate

Then there are the art directors for TV and movies that love to boost and enhance city lights.

At least now you know what it is, and it isn't GEP3D or UTX

If you want more intense lights without the crazy wildfire fireball effect, drop brightness, raise contrast some and perhaps add some gamma

I am not changing tiles for one person and issuing a patch however I will look at dropping the RGB on the parks for the next patch update

Regardless your night images look terrible. If that is what you prefer, then so be it.

You should be able to see the cars and other details in parking lots at night. Your settings look like such areas are being napalmed by the air force LOL

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 12:11am
I am sorry but I don't appreciate your comments at all.

Not what I expected as a support. For $89.95, I might have to reconsider this add on.

I'm outta here. You do not need to respond anything.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 12:15am
Please get a refund if you think what I am saying is inaccurate...   My comments are spot on

It doesn't matter what texture product you use, at the levels you are pushing they will all look the same.

As I said, I will look at reducing RGB on the parks for the next patch later this summer but I cant issue a official patch for one individual whereby the images in this thread show one person is pushing the shader and lighting changes too far.

This is real image of a city at night without any over exposure or color enhancement a bit blurry because of the aircraft movement....  

I know there can be differences from city to city and from different camera angles, as well as different exposures and lens manipulations but none of them are flaming like this:

The parking lots look like massive forest fires

This is LA from 30,000ft in P3Dv4 with UTX USA and GEP3D. There is no autogen in this shot because P3D removes it above a certain flight level. Only city models remain with the night tiles, and, the parks are shown in this image in many places. They do not display any unusual glow.

Nvidia driver settings:  Brightness 35 <---- controls the over-bright night in the sim   Contrast 55 <---- increases black level and color   Gamma: 1.10 <--- controls brightness intensity

And, correctly using the UTX road night light imprints and the UTX night lighting, which as I recall is also removed at this flight level. There is nothing wrong with that image for lighting.

....we don't get parking lots that have been napalmed by the air force  LOL   all the details can be seen when flying low.

This is NYC from 40,000ft using the same Nvidia driver and UTX road setup as outlined above. There is a park smack dab in the middle of the shot, and it does not glow.

You are trying to overcompensate using a shader hack tool instead of properly using scenery lighting as well as the proper driver changes for night flying.

You should be able to see the details in the night tiles without using a hack tool that flames them to the point where they appear to be on fire and overexposes tiles that would never be seen otherwise.

Get a refund if you must but there is nothing wrong with GEP3D night tiles or lighting. The primary issue is the sim itself (always has been a problem at night) and learning how to use addons correctly as well as driver settings to obtain proper night lighting.

Topic closed

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic