SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[Solved] UTX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippo2glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Solved] UTX
    Posted: August-06-2017 at 12:14am
Hi,
I am still struggling with some UTX USA issues
(subsequently, appears to affect UTX Europe & Canada also).

Below is an image showing some road vectors I have encircled where they show the behaviour as expected with the more accurate UTX roads and FSX autogen.
However, this image (KHFR, San Juan Island, WA) was obtained with UTX USA disabled via the setup GUI (as administrator) and the Global UTX elements deselected in the scenery library.
Are these UTX roads, because they look like they are and should they be there when only default FSX scenery is active?

NB: I have GEX N. America (v2.1) but this was disabled also (through the GEX GUI) and prior to disabling UTX (via it's GUI), I also checked for duplicate scenery files using ...+R proceedure (no duplicates) and applied "set UTX to initial values".

Other anomalies I have noticed, relate to the UTX Setup GUI.
On opening (as administrator) and after validation checking (all OK) it will state 'UTX is Active [OK]' and then when I check with the quick enable/disable UTX facility, it states it is disabled, do I want to enable it? Sometimes vice versa. It also happens inconsistently, as on some occasions when opened it says it is disabled when previously I had disabled it.
On another occasion, I set minor and major rural roads inactive, only to see those roads present and then when checking through the GUI, they were still showing as active.
I can't modify Sim Settings from within any UTX GUI (Europe, USA or Canada) - it responds with UTX Setup is not working and close the program.

Another anomaly relates to using the GEX GUI and UTX for GEX as follows:
1) UTX USA & Canada enabled and GEX N. America (v2.1) enabled in FSX
2) UTX Europe (v2.1) enabled and GEX Europe (v2.5) enabled in FSX
3) GEX Europe disabled via GEX GUI  and after uninstalling then proceeds to install GEX N America and UTX for GEX USA and Canada when already enabled.
4) UTX Europe GUI shows UTX inactive but terrain enable/disable says enabled - disable it?

A while back I had a CPU (Intel Skylake - vanilla & liquid cooled) meltdown, so after replacement and stress testing by retailer, I reinstalled all the flightsim software. The system is FSX dedicated (FSX Deluxe has its own SSD) and on very rare occasions connected to the internet for direct Flightsim downloads - no virus software active (only use verified sites such as Flight 1) but windows firewall is active as it connected via ethernet cable to another PC with REX - this PC is also used for downloads (wireless), running ESET NOD and checked before transferring any files to my FSX dedicated PC - such as addon scenery objects stored on a seperate HDD, like Don Grovestine's airfield addons for Victoria, BC.

I am completely at a loss as to what is happening and what else I can do - can you please help?
Best regards
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2017 at 1:48am
Please deal with UTX issues separate from what you think are GEX issues... different products and different developers however I will answer the GEX inquiries here....

1) UTX USA & Canada enabled and GEX N. America (v2.1) enabled in FSX

That is impossible unless you are really using the 2008 product (old blue interface) along with a 2015+ product..  GEX USA/Canada was completely replaced by GEX North America many years ago circa 2011.. v2.0-2.1 are 2015. 

There is no such thing as 'GEX USA & Canada' anymore, has not been for a very long time, none the less what you are showing has nothing to do with GEX.

You should ONLY be using GEX North America V2-2.1, no older GEX product.

3) GEX Europe disabled via GEX GUI  and after uninstalling then proceeds to install GEX N America and UTX for GEX USA and Canada when already enabled.

This is by design..  you disabled GEX Europe which shares files with GEX NA. When you disabled GEX Europe the interface will remove all the files in GEX Europe which do include shared files, and then will reinstall GEX NA to ensure all the files including the shared files used in North America are restored.

I don't know why you would disable GEX Europe or any GEX product when looking at roads..  GEX does nothing with roads.

Last.. your info has a typo.. no KHFR in FSX..  KFHR is San Juan Island

I will let the UTX developers take from here. Beer

zippo2glide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippo2glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2017 at 4:27am
Hi Nick,

Many thanks for the response. Sorry just wondered if something weird was going on with my PC.
I was trying different scenarios including enabling/disabling GEX regions because I noted there is an option in the GEX GUI to enable UTX for GEX for specific regions and wondered if that had had any influence on the roads (thinking UTX roads) I was seeing in the image (despite UTX USA disabled).

Regarding item 1), I was referring to having enabled UTX USA (v2.2) and UTX Canada (v2) via their respective GUIs before enabling GEX N.America (v2.1) and UTX for GEX N.America via the GEX GUI.

Regarding item 3), I didn't realise there were shared files and so your explanation makes total sense and now I am much the wiser.

Typo noted.

Again many thanks for your inputs.
Regards
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2017 at 10:55pm
Firstly, thanks Nick for the answer to the GEX questions.

On the UTX side, it makes it very difficult to trouble-shoot when you are switching things on and off without understanding what this does/does not do.

Firstly, unless specifically noted in the manuals for the UTX products, you should never manually turn any UTX layers on/off via the FSX Scenery Library. Make sure that all UTX layers are on in the FSX Scenery Library before doing any further testing/trouble-shooting and that all UTX regions are set to 'enabled' via the 'Quick Ultimate Terrain Enable/Disable' option under the Setup Tool's 'Terrain' menu.

UTX can be shown as 'enabled' when the UTX Setup Tool starts and runs its self-tests i.e. noting that required FSX configuration file entries and folders for UTX are correctly installed, even if the scenery files are disabled via the 'Quick Ultimate Terrain Enable/Disable' option under the Setup Tool's 'Terrain' menu. This is how it is designed to work.

If you have 'disabled' a UTX region via this option then the UTX Setup Tool will do all necessary changes to the UTX layers in the FSX Scenery Library and to individual files in any shared UTX Scenery layer to turn them off and let the default scenery show instead of UTX. Again you should not be making manual changes to UTX layers in the FSX Scenery Library.

If you have disabled a UTX region via the 'Quick Ultimate Terrain Enable/Disable' option under the Setup Tool's 'Terrain' menu then you should not see any UTX features for that region. If you do it would indicate some sort of issue ranging from manual enabling of UTX scenery files outside of the UTX Setup Tool and/or incorrect installation leading to duplicate UTX scenery files in both an enabled and disabled mode. This may be what is happening in your case as you note that in cases when you deactivate features in the right-hand feature set of the UTX Setup Tool they still show as active.

What to do in cases like this is covered in our UTX Setup Tool FAQ i.e.
Quote Q. When I click on a feature's Active/Inactive button to try and change it, the progress bar moves but the button stays the same. How can I fix this?
A. If you are not able to enable/disable a UTX feature in the UTX Setup Tool, this is usually caused by duplicate scenery files with both a .BGL (active) and .XXX (inactive) file extension. We have a diagnostic feature built into the UTX Setup Tool to correct these sort of things.

- Start the UTX Setup Tool
- After the initial self-validation checks have been completed hold down the CTRL+SHIFT+R keys at the same time.
- Follow the instructions to let it look for and fix up any duplicate files.

I see that you have said you tried this but it should only be done after you have made sure that all UTX layers in the FSX Scenery Library are on and that you have made sure that you have used the UTX Setup Tool 'Quick Ultimate Terrain Enable/Disable' option under the UTX Setup Tool's 'Terrain' menu to enable UTX.

Once you have done all of this should you then try to deactive the road features via the UTX Setup Tool to make sure that things do correctly work.

Always make sure that you run the UTX Setup Tool by right-clicking on it and selecting "Run as administrator".

In summary, before we can do any real testing you have to make sure that all UTX entries in the FSX Scenery Library are on, and that you have enabled the UTX region via the UTX Setup Tool 'Quick Ultimate Terrain Enable/Disable' option under the UTX Setup Tool's 'Terrain' menu.

Finally if the UTX Setup Tool stops working when you try to modify FSX sim settings via the UTX Setup Tool it means you have manually, or some other add-on you have installed has changed values in the FSX.cfg to ones outside of what the FSX settings UI would be able to set. If this is the case, then you should not use this option in the UTX Setup Tool until you make sure all values in the FSX.cfg are within the defaults allowed by FSX settings UI. Again this is noted in our UTX Setup Tool FAQ.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippo2glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 9:21am
Hi Jeff,

Many thanks for the explanations. Sorry I haven't been back to you earlier but I have been away.
It might be worth explicitly stating in a revised version of the UTX manuals that UTX scenery layers should ONLY be activated/deactivated via the UTX Setup tool and NOT through the FSX Scenery Library (unless specifically instructed to do so in the manual), as this is not clearly stated at present.
OK. So I have done the following for each UTX region (Europe v2.1, USA v2.2, Canada v2.0) using their GUI as administrator:
  1) enabled via the 'quick enable/disable' option under the Terrain tab
  2) applied the 'restore UT to initial settings' under the Terrain tab
  3) closed the GUI using EXIT
Established in the FSX scenery Library that all UTX entries were activated.
Restarted the PC.
For Europe and USA when their respective GUI was opened and layers validated, they each showed UTX as inactive. I OK'd it then applied CTR+SHIFT+R - no duplicate scenery files found and then checked the 'quick enable/disable' option and it said it was enabled - answered no to change.
Restarted PC.
Europe and USA now both showed UTX as active, after layers validated. Now in all UTX GUIs I selected 'modify Sim setting/Performance report'  and got a response of UTX Setup not working, close the program.
I checked the UTX Setup FAQ for this but don't understand the 'note' regarding the texture resolution size.
I opened the USA UTX Setup GUI and disabled all roads except freeways and highways. On looking at the same area as in the photo above, all what appeared to be UTX roads have disappeared. Great news then.
So still there was the inconsistancy on whether the region was active or not when the GUI booted up - any ideas?
Furthermore, the issue of of modifying the sim from within the GUI and the texture resolution size - would you be kind enough to educate me on this please.
Many thanks.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 9:46pm
The strangeness you were seeing at the start with things being inactive then active could be caused by things settling back down to the way they should and also you did things in the reverse order i.e. I noted to do the changes in the FSX Scenery Library first and then do the UTX Setup Tool work while you did them the other way around.

If it continues to happen when you are not doing anything then something else is going on i.e. you are not remembering to right-click and "Run as administrator" every time (you can set this to be done all the time on the 'compatibility' tab of the Windows 'properties' dialog for an app). or something on your system is blocking file changes such as some anti-malware software.

On the UTX Setup Tool quitting when you select the 'Modify Sim Settings/Performance Report' as noted in my last reply, if this is happening some value in the FSX.cfg has been changed outside of its normal limits so do not use this option in the UTX Setup Tool. The texture resolution change was one such thing which we know about, some other FSX add-on is likely changing something other than this which we do not know about.

Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippo2glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 2:17am
Hi Jeff,

Once again many thanks. I don't mean to be pedantic but for us lesser mortals, I would have prefered you had sequence numbered the actions or said 'do this first" then after that, 'do this'.
FSX has a long learning curve and I am at the stage with computers where a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous but I try to do the right thing.
I'll give it some time to see how it goes over the weekend. I had set the properties for 'run as administrator', prior to opening the GUIs and enabling them.
I'm not running any virus or malware programs or automatic updating al la proceedures in Nick N's bible. Occasionally when FSX is not running, I run Malwarebytes and even less occasionally, run ESET NOD 32 via my other networked computer.
No problem not using the mod sim..... from within the GUI.
Again thanks.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 2:50am
overthinking can lead to stupid assumptions 

The only way to disable UTX <region> is to use the UTX interface and disable UTX <region> from there, never the scenery library.

And if you are using Windows above 7, (means 8-10) there is no getting around "right click" RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippo2glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 3:19am
Hi Nick,

I am suitably chastised and will only ever use the UTX GUIs.
Im running W7 Pro and FSX, all UTX, GEX etc are all set to 'run as administrator' under properties. I'm assuming it actually does under W7 Pro.
Cheers
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 3:48am
OK then I have no idea how or why you ended up with the issues in this topic other than the instructions for the product are clear. If you want to disable UTX for whatever reason, it must be done from the UTX <region> interface.  Not sure how that was not made clear

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippo2glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

..... If you want to disable UTX for whatever reason, it must be done from the UTX <region> interface.  Not sure how that was not made clear

Not sure what you mean by this Nick.
From when Jeff said only use the UTX Setup Tool to enable/disable UTX and not the FSX Scenery Library, that is what I have been doing.
Furthermore, only opening it as administrator (set under the Compatability Tab of Properties) and only using the UTX GUI to activate/deactivate UTX items such as roads.
In conclusion, can you please show me where in any UTX manual, it specifically says to only use the UTX Setup tool to enable/disable UTX and do not use the FSX Scenery Library to activate/deactivate UTX layers.
Moreover, how does that fit with your specific reference to deactivate roads in UTX Europe? Quote, "To completely eliminate Europe roads quickly without changing UTX options: Go to the Scenery Library. Scroll down and locate the line UT EUROPE ROADS and UNCHECK this feature....." - in the document you authored "SETUP UTX ALL VERSIONS UPDATE NEW LIGHTS SETTINGS" posted June 23 2013.
That's why previously I thought it was OK to use the scenery library.
Or is that only applicable to UTX Europe and why would that be different to any other UTX region and if so, how would we know that?
Please advise.
Cheers
PS all UTX products downloaded from Flight1 with no anti-virus running and installed as administrator per instructions.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 10:40pm

The Europe roads do deactivate, all of them, including the FSX default roads if the library is used. If the tool is used, the UTX roads are disabled and the FSX roads return, that's why I outlined that for Europe only.

The old Roman road type design in Europe cuts roads across tiles that land in a grid. In Europe that can remove a massive amount of autogen and visually impair a scene. Some people prefer to have roads for VFR and do not care about scenery or autogen, others find the road removal, or, partial road removal, works best. Myself, and in Europe, I turn them on in the scenery library for night flying to obtain all the lighting that comes with them and uncheck them in the library during the day.

Others prefer to use the UTX tool as I also outlined in that write-up, to limit roads down to the major highways or primaries in order to have road system show but not chop the autogen off the tiles in major cities.

I have never unchecked roads using the scenery library in the USA/Canada/Tropics only used the UTX tool for that. Since roads in most of North America follow a grid like the tiles and designed, if the residential roads are disabled (which they are by default) the result is a realistic looking environment without massive and obvious visual loss of autogen as happens in Europe. Roads line up very realistically with the autogen: https://tinyurl.com/y9oy79tw

As long as its all figured out now, that's all that matters.  I wasn't chastising you. Beer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippo2glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 11:22pm
Hi Nick,

Thanks for that.
So if I understand correctly for UTX Europe, if the FSX Scenery Library is used to uncheck UT Europe Roads, then no roads at all will be seen when flying over European land but if the UTX Europe GUI is used, then only UTX activated road elements will be seen along with the FSX default roads - which in some cases will be aligned (i.e. UTX road masks default FSX) and in others both show because the FSX default are not as accurately positioned as UTX.
Correct?
Cheers
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 11:33pm
The choices Nick suggests in his guide are his personal choices and are not what we recommend for UTX where we of course want to show of the features it provides.

Again, DO NOT USE THE FSX SCENERY LIBRARY TO TURN OFF UTX SCENERY LAYERS. Use the UTX Setup Tool to do things, whether that be an individual feature or all of them. Playing around with UTX layers in the FSX Scenery Library if you do not have a good understanding of exactly what this will do only leads to protracted support issues when things stop working as they should or anomalies are seen.

Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippo2glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 11:52pm
Hi Jeff,

OK. No worries - I intend only ever using the UTX GUI.
It was a case of pointing out an inconsistency of advice and to understand why. For those of us without almost decades of knowledge and expertise with FSX and it's addons, it is important we understand what is specific advice.
UTX USA now appears to be behaving and over the weekend I also looked at Europe - still got issues - a post with pictures and explanation will follow.
Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippo2glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 9:37am
Hi Jeff,

OK. So UTX Europe. I had a look at it with a flight in a familiar location of the UK - remembering it had been enabled via the Europe UTX GUI as administrator after confirming in the FSX Scenery Library that ALL UTX items were selected (Europe, USA, Canada & Global), CTR+SHIFT+R (no duplicates) and had invoked Restore UT to initial settings.
All I was investigating was Freeways/Highways, Major Rural roads, their respective Bridge Objects, Encasements and road colours via the GUI. All other bridges and roads inactivated, everything else as default under the feature tree.
Other changes via the GUI - Wave Effects (all no waves except Ocean Sandy & Rocky shorelines = small waves) - Water tint (muddy and algae).
Moved to another familiar location - Chambery, France - went aloft. Didn't like some of what I was seeing so came out of FSX and did the following via the GUI:
1) inactivated under the Feature Tree:-
   a) ALL items under the Road Surfaces except Sports Tracks
   b) named and unnamed streams and small rivers
   c) small water bodies
   d) small water body shorelines
   e) exited GUI
2) Restarted computer just in case it is required to implement changes
3) Started FSX and loaded 'My Restart' flight (shouldn't affect UTX textures should it?)
This is what I saw

Is that larger than a small river, otherwise it shouldn't be there? Railway lines and siding OK.
NB: no UTX roads as expected.
4) closed FSX
5) opened UTX GUI - validated and UTX active
   a) disabled UTX
   b) exited GUI
6) restarted computer - see 2 above
7) opened UTX GUI - validated and UTX active despite being disabled in 5 above - quick enable/disable stated it was disabled - didn't change and exited GUI
8)Started FSX and looked at scenery library
   a) all UT Europe items NOT selected ...........but
   b) 2 global UTX items were now NOT selected - UT FSX Waterclass and UT FSX Object Repositioning
   c) items in 8)b) changed to active
   d) exited Scenery Library
9) see 3) above and this is what I saw

River or stream has disappeared, railway lines still there but no siding area - all as expected.
Where did those roads come from? Look like UTX roads to me.
10) closed FSX and restarted computer
11) opened FSX scenery library - as expected and no changes
12) see 3) above and saw the same as in 9) above
13) opened UTX GUI - see 7) above and checked the feature tree everything as expected from 1) above.
Shut everything down until this morning - all settings as night before.
UTX still saying active when disabled and when loading My Restart flight there were even more of those roads.
The only European addons I have are UK2000 VFR Airfileds vols 1 to 3, a couple of other UK airfields, some UK landmarks by Earth Simulations, a revised UK airspace addon - all of which are not activated in the scenery library - and GEX Europe (disabled).
I'm starting to think this is all more bother than it is worth and dumping UTX, GEX and disappointingly just running vanilla FSX.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 3:24pm
3) UTX does rivers via multiple methods. Smaller rivers and streams are done as vector lines which will have the same width along the length of the river/stream. Larger rivers are done as vector polygons which will change in size along the length of the river. This is what you are seeing. Therefore it looks like it is working as designed.

7) As noted in previous messages in this thread, the UTX 'active' you keep referring to means that UTX is correctly installed. If the quick enable/disable says it is 'disabled' then that means that UTX scenery is not being displayed.

8b) That is a real issue with the UTX Europe quick enable/disable. It should not be turning off shared scenery layers.

9) When you clicked the UTX quick enable/disable it put up a dialog box informing you of the following:

As clearly noted "The default FSX scenery will now be displayed!".

What you are seeing are therefore the default FSX scenery roads and railroads.

Jeff

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 3:52pm
Turn off UTX from the UTX config tool  i.e.; QUICK ENABLE/DISABLE, the FSX default roads shows up

With UTX ENABLED, Uncheck UT Europe Roads in the library, all roads UTX and FSX are taken out

As Jeff said..  they have their own way to do things, what I suggest is based on what I just posted.

Rail yards and railroads are not automobile roads.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippo2glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 12:59am
Hi Nick and Jeff,

Many thanks for sticking with me on this.
So if I have got this straight:

a) regarding item 3)-
if a river/stream has a consistent width along it's length, then it is a small river or stream (vector) and if the width varies along its length, then it is a larger river (v/polygon) and is showing because I only deactivated small rivers/streams (named & unamed) in the feature tree
b) regarding item 7)-
the dialogue box which states 'UTX is active [OK]' does NOT mean the UTX items for that region are selected (ticked) in the FSX scenery library.
Consequently, no matter what the quick enable/disable status is, that dialogue box will say "active"
c) regarding item 8)b)-
this is a known issue with UTX Europe and shouldn't be occuring
d) regarding item 9)-
the roads I have indicated in the third picture (2nd of Chambery) are FSX default European roads (cutting through autogen).
Nick - I know railways etc are not roads even in UTX/FSX. I pointed them out as an item for consistency purposes with UTX enabled/disabled and if I was seeing a small river/stream and  UTX roads when comparing pictures 2 and 3.Wink
Assuming I have understood all the above correctly, why does UTX Canada consistently produce a dialogue box (immediately after validation) saying UTX "Enabled" (different terminology!) when it is enabled under the quick UTX enabled/disabled and items are selected (ticked) in the FSX scenery Library; then saying UTX "Disabled" when it is disabled under the quick UTX enabled/disabled and items are deselected (unticked) in the FSX scenery Library?
My analytical mind finds it confusing if it doesn't relate to the enable/disable status and/or scenery library status - except it appears to with UTX Canada - and perhaps isn't necessary.
Now I have a dilemna. Do I accept Nicks's advice about UT Europe Roads and deselect in the FSX scenery Library to show no roads (vector?) or at the risk of eternal UTX damnation, never deselect an UTX item in the scenery library?
Testing UTX GUI 'quick enable/disable UTX' and the status of UT items in the FSX scenery library has shown that ALL my regions, when any one of them is disabled, also deselects those 2 global/shared items mentioned in 8)b); enabling a specific region thereafter, reselects those 2 items.
Finally, can you specify for me which road categories 'Encasements' (RCX) are applied to, for UTX Europe and Canada, and how these are different from the USA (RCX = Urban Road Encasements). With only Freeways, Highways etc and RCX Encasements active in the feature tree for UTX Europe, I was seeing empty encasements here and there and appeared to be related to other major roads not active in the feature tree.
Cheers. I believe I am learning some valuable lessons and expanding my knowledge beyond what the manuals provide.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 2:40pm
You have to decide what works best for you.

When UT Europe roads are unchecked in the library it also removes all the roads, their encasements and the FSX default roads at the same time for that region which is one of the reasons I prefer to do it that way, one click.. all gone.

When you disable roads in the UTX tool, the encasements can still display which means those have to be turned off as well if the roads associated with them are turned off.

I know Jeff may not like the method I use for Europe but its how I get rid of them all and their encasements, and the default FSX roads with one click in Europe, AND, that can be done in-sim without exiting the flight, AND, they can all be turned back on that way if I want the roads, or, I want the road lighting for night flying..   one click, no flight loss, switch it in-sim.

As I said, I don't use that method for any other UTX region and just like you, if I disable a class of roads in the UTX tool that have encasements, the encasements must be disabled too. And as I recall if any FSX default roads are associated with the roads that were disabled in the UTX tool, they will then appear, ....again the reason I use the library for Europe, one click.. all gone.

In the USA/Canada I run the default road setup by UTX except I change feature widths because I found them to be a bit out of scale. The SIM is out of scale, not UTX, but to make the roads and other features visually appear more in line with the sim, I listed a set of width reductions. This allows more autogen to appear even with the roads following a grid and if the roads are used in Europe it helps somewhat there too.

Those width adjustments change the width of all UTX regions at once so if you have UTX USA, UTX Canada and UTX Europe, those changes only need be made in one of the UTX configuration tools, any region. The down side is if you install another UTX region after making those changes they will all get reset back to their defaults and must be redone.

That being said, in the same write-up I made for how I use UTX Europe roads I also included the option below which is done from the UTX Tool and NOT from the scenery library:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANOTHER OPTION: In Europe you can opt to leave the roads enabled in the FSX scenery library and instead DISABLE the following in the UTX Europe config tool: ROAD SURFACES

RCX Road Encasements
Urban Major and Secondary Roads
Urban connecting and important Roads
Minor Rural Roads  <--- optional, you may want these enabled for the Alps and other such locations.

Leave "All Freeway Highway, Interstates, Motorways"   ENABLED

BR1- BR2 - BR3 Bridge Objects (you can experiment with disabling/enabling these as they CAN be performance killers in larger cities. Leave then enabled first and if you have no issues with performance leave them enabled.

This will leave the primary roadways enabled but eliminate the major autogen loss the Europe roads can cause in cities and around them. It is a good trade-off from eliminating roads all together. Of course both suggestions above are optional but DO KEEP THIS IN MIND with Europe..   the BRIDGE objects in Europe that are removed when roads are DISABLED in the scenery library and that will increase performance by quite a bit in cities such as Amsterdam. Bridges in the larger cities in Europe can create quite a performance drop with slower computers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippo2glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 8:59pm
Hi Nick,

Massive thanks for this.
Given your extensive knowledge and expertise with FSX, I feel confident in following your advice concerning UTX Roads in Europe and the FSX Scenery Library, if I feel it is the look I prefer.

I have already implemented the width adjustments etc as you prescribe - shame settings like those can't be saved in an associated utility program, such that they can be easily re-instated after a re-install of UTX.

Thanks again for all your inputs and advice.
Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippo2glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 8:13am
Hi Jeff or anyone else from the UTX team.
Any response to .....

[QUOTE=zippo2glide]
Assuming I have understood all the above correctly, why does UTX Canada consistently produce a dialogue box (immediately after validation) saying UTX "Enabled" (different terminology!) when it is enabled under the quick UTX enabled/disabled and items are selected (ticked) in the FSX scenery Library; then saying UTX "Disabled" when it is disabled under the quick UTX enabled/disabled and items are deselected (unticked) in the FSX scenery Library?
My analytical mind finds it confusing if it doesn't relate to the enable/disable status and/or scenery library status - except it appears to with UTX Canada - and perhaps isn't necessary.

Testing UTX GUI 'quick enable/disable UTX' and the status of UT items in the FSX scenery library has shown that ALL my regions, when any one of them is disabled, also deselects those 2 global/shared items mentioned in 8)b); enabling a specific region thereafter, reselects those 2 items.
[/QUOTE

I guess maybe you are on summer holidays as only NickN seems to be posting recently in this forum
Cheers
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 9:09pm
I am not sure how anything else I post will change things to make you happy. I have clearly stated what the various enabled/disabled and active/inactive comments mean in the UI. This is just how it works. Maybe in version 3 we can try to change some wordings.

There is a lot of complexity and flexibility in the UTX interface and you can do a lot of things to make things active/inactive, enabled/disabled, on/off, right/wrong, etc.. Yes, you can spend a lot of time finding individual cases where this can create confusion if you try to overthink things.

In general, when the product is in proper usage you do not have it disabled via the quick enable/disable and you do not manually turn off UTX scenery layers in the FSX Scenery Library. Run things as they are meant to be used and there is no confusion.

Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippo2glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 9:38pm
Hi Jeff,

I get what you are saying and generally I am happy.
I just wondered if you had any thoughts as to why disabling a region, results in those 2 global layers being deselected in the scenery library, whether this is expected and can be reproduced by you guys.

Cheers
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2017 at 4:30pm
As I noted in a previous reply the deselection of the 2 global UTX layers is not working as designed and will be on the list of things to look at when we work on UTX V3.

Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippo2glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2017 at 9:43pm
Hi Jeff,

Many thanks for all your help consider this topic solved.
I had seen you previously said those shared layers shouldn't be deselected by inactivating/disabling a region but you hadn't clarified it was a software bug and not something specific to my system.
Until version 3 is released perhaps it should be flagged that all of those shared layers need to be active in the scenery library at all times. Just a thought.
Once again many thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic