SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - [Solved] UTX USA V2 Steam Edition Install Issue
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[Solved] UTX USA V2 Steam Edition Install Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattsimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Solved] UTX USA V2 Steam Edition Install Issue
    Posted: February-23-2017 at 10:01am
I bought UTX yesterday for the first time with the USA Version 2 package.  However it wont install.  After attempting to install multiple times and re-downloaing I get the same issue.  Error Message saying "CANT FIND SCENERY.CFG.  I have read the posts here and they don't seem to help.  Here are the issues I am having...

I am installing on FSX SE.  The first installation goes perfect.  After the first instalation a second box appears asking to install in FSX Steam Edition.  I click ok.  A few clicks later this window appears asking me to choose a directory (this path is originally blank).  Not seeing any instructions on this I choose the FSX SE path (Steam/steamapps/common/FSX)

It then tells me its been successfully installed and we do the second part of the install the same way.  Seems to install fine until the "setup Tool" program opens directly after that install.  It comes up with an error message of "Scenery.cfg or other scenery files could not be located".

I have tried the "Run as administrator option, and no luck.  I have only a few months of experience dealing with FSX and the files but it appears to me like it is looking in the wrong path.  The path it lists is c:\users\owner\appdata\roaming\microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg, however when I manually look up the path the FSX part should read FSX-SE.  Is it possible that its not looking for the steam edition?

I cant seem to change this.  And the product wont work.  I have been working on this for two days and no luck.  Could anyone help me?  Im about so frustrated and almost just want my money back at this point.  Unless I can get it to work.  Any ideas?
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 12:01am
Did you ever have FSX boxed installed and then deleted it? The reason I ask is because the FSX boxed uninstaller does not correctly remove all traces of itself from the Windows registry. This causes issues when FSX-SE is then installed.

When you say "The first installation goes perfect" what do you mean?

If you do not see the correct path presented to you in the install dialog box it is an indication of problems reading the Windows registry entries.

As for the "when I manually look up the path the FSX part should read FSX-SE" is not always true for FSX-SE. It will only use the FSX-SE if it sees that FSX boxed was already installed (or there are registry entries still left behind for it or incorrectly created by some add-on) otherwise on a system which has never had FSX boxed FSX-SE will do everything it can to look like FSX boxed as far as configuration files and folder paths.

On the "Run as administrator" option you need to do that the first time. If you try it after that the re-installation may not go correctly until you uninstall any previously installed versions.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
mattsimm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattsimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 1:09pm
Yes, I have had the boxed edition of FS installed before and later uninstalled. Is there a way to fix this at this point? I have had FSX Steam Edition for some time now and have added a lot to it already.

When I say that the first installation went perfect I mean it seemed to install with no issues. This would be the installation that installs the program into the program 86 files under its own name. After this a instal manager appears and you have to select the game to install it into. For me it is FSX Steam Edition (only option present).

Since I have previously had the box version installed (and later uninstalled), is there something I can do to fix this issue?
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by mattsimm mattsimm wrote:

Yes, I have had the boxed edition of FS installed before and later uninstalled. Is there a way to fix this at this point?
As noted in a previous post the uninstall of the FSX boxed edition will not have completely cleared out all the Windows registry entries it created. As such depending on when you installed FSX-SE and uninstalled FSX boxed the Windows registry entries and configuration file locations will be in a complex state which can cause issues with products with multi-platform aware installers.

While it may be possible to sort this out you'd need to be very good at editing the Windows registry and have a thorough knowledge of where all the current configuration files really are. Trying to do this by back and forth messages in a forum will just make it a bit more challenging.

If you're good with regedit we could start with getting some current information on how your system is configured.

Jeff

mattsimm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattsimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 6:43pm
Well, I can't say I have any experience with regedit however I would like to give it an attempt.

If this is to much of a task then I understand however I would rather like to get this issue fixed, not only for this issue but any other issues I may have down the road with FSX.

I am running FSX on Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64Bit OS.  I have an NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M Graphics Card.

If this is something too much to explain then I understand but I would love the opportunity to try.

Thank you for your help

-Matt
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2017 at 1:04am
As incorrect use of regedit can render your system unusable I'd be very reluctant to get you to try this for the very first time unless you have a reliable method to do a full system backup and restore.

Jeff

mattsimm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattsimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 2:56pm
I have and will create backups of all the files.  I do wish there was someway that I could get this fixed however.  Could you point me in a direction that will help me solve this problem if you are unable to tell me.  

I do and will accept all responsibility for what I change/do on my computer to any and all files.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 3:11pm
Make sure that whatever your backup tool does that it backs up your Windows registry as well and not just files. It would be better to make a full disk image and do a Window system backup as well.

To start with you'd need to read up on regedit. Once you see what that is and are comfortable navigating the Windows registry, I can point you to where the FSX boxed and FSX Steam entries are so you can tell us what you currently have.

Jeff

mattsimm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattsimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 5:30pm
I am performing the backups now.  The registry files have already been backed up onto a separate disk.  I do been researching the regedit tool and believe I have found the FSX files.  I have not changed anything however.  I have found them under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft_Games.  There are two files, Flight Simulator and Flight Simulator Steam Edition.  The Flight Simulator file has nothing but the "default" file in it and the picture below shows the Flight Simulator Steam Edition.

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 10:07pm
Just because the "Flight Simulator" tree only has the default file in it does not tell the whole story. As shown by the part of the "Flight Simulator - Steam Edition" registry tree in your screenshot you can clearly see that the "Co-existance" mode is set to "1" which means that FSX-SE believes that it is running alongside FSX boxed when it is not. This is why it went and created FSX-SE folders for configuration files when it would normally not have if it was installed on its own (in which case it actually pretends to be FSX boxed and does not create the Steam Edition registry tree or configuration folders).

You'll need to provide screenshots, with the columns expanded so that you can see the complete field names for all the sub-trees under Microsoft Games.

Jeff

mattsimm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattsimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 9:38pm
This image shows everything in the Microsoft Games folder.

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2017 at 10:42pm
I should have made myself clearer. I need to see everything at every level under the Microsoft Games tree i.e.

- What's in "Flight Simulator".
- What's in "Flight Simulator -> 10.0".

- What's in "Flight Simulator - Steam Edition".
- What's in "Flight Simulator - Steam Edition -> 10.0".
- What's in "Flight Simulator - Steam Edition -> 10.0 -> Launch".

Jeff

mattsimm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattsimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 9:18am
I'm sorry, I misunderstood.

So this is the Microsoft Games folder.

This is the Flight Simulator Folder

This is the 10.0 folder for Flight Simulator

This is Flight Simulator - Steam Edition

10.0 Folder within Steam:

and the Launch Folder within the 10.0 in Steam
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 11:09pm
We're getting there slowly but you will need to expand the width of all the columns in the regedit locations to show us all of the information in the fields. The most important one which is truncated is the AppPath in the screenshot for the "10.0 Folder within Steam".

You also need to tell me if you have FSX and/or FSX-SE folders in the following locations:

C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft

Also do you have "Flight Simulator X Files" and/or "Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files" folders in:

C:\Users\<yourusername>\Documents

Jeff

mattsimm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattsimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2017 at 8:19am
I am sorry, here are the two images that truncated anything.

Steam Edition Folder:

10.0 Folder in Steam

In the following folders I only have FSX-SE Files.

And I only have Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files in my documents folder.  I do have a file titled "Flight Sim X Downloads" but I believe that was a folder I created way back in the day to just save my downloads.  There is nothing in that folder except third party downloads. 

and in case you need to see inside the Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files

And some other saved flights below that.

Thank you again for all your help.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2017 at 11:15am
Jeff, I can see something that might not be right...

Coexistence without FSX box needs to be corrected since his isn't configured as such, however the path might also need a look.

OP:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\...

should read:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\

backslash without the 3 periods. Don't know how those ended up in that key or if they may be causing a problem..

just an observation

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2017 at 9:44pm
Nick,

Thanks, I had already noticed the Co-Existence entry but sadly that would be too easy if that was the only change. In a true FSX-SE only install some of the entries which are under the "Flight Simulator - Steam Edition" tree need to move. I am working on a full list of what is needed based on the registry and folder/file locations/names.

Note that the '...' is also normal.

Jeff

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2017 at 10:03pm
Here's the initial instructions on what things should look like in a FSX-SE only installation.

The following are just an indication of what the registry entries should be in that case. You will need to make all the necessary changes (deletions and creations) on your system to mirror the screenshots below.

Again, make sure that you have made full backups of your registry and system before doing this.

Note:

- To delete a current registry entry, right-click on the entry in the right-hand side and select 'Delete'.
- To add a new entry (which you will need to do as moving an entry is not easily done) right-click on the registry tree area you want to add a new entry to on the left and then select 'New->String Value' if you need a new REG_SZ type or 'New->DWORD (32-bit) Value' if you need a new REG_DWORD type. Change the 'Name' in the right-hand side to match the one required, and then change the 'Data' to match.
- To modify 'Data' for an entry just double-click on the entry in the right-hand side and then enter in the correct information in the 'Value data:' field.

Details on folder/file name changes to follow in the next post.

Jeff

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2017 at 10:27pm
Here are the instructions for folder/file name changes needed for an FSX-SE only type installation:

1) Under 'C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft' change the name of the 'FSX-SE' folder to 'FSX'.

2) In the newly renamed 'C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX' folder, change the name of the 'fsx_se.CFG' file to 'fsx.CFG' if not already named that.

3) Under 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft' change the name of the 'FSX-SE' folder to 'FSX'.

4) Under 'C:\Users\<yourusername>\Documents' change the name of the 'Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files' folder to be just 'Flight Simulator X Files'.

That should be everything but as it is quite a re-arrangement going on under the covers I may have missed something.

After you have completed all the above try to start FSX-SE and see if it does OK and/or if there are any error messages.

If things don't seem to be going right please follow the simple rule 'When you have dug yourself into a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging' i.e. don't try anything else until you report back here with details.

Once we have FSX-SE at least up and running OK again, we'll then move on to trying an uninstall/re-install of UTX.

Jeff

mattsimm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattsimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2017 at 8:52am
So far so good.

I made all the changes and the program is running good.  The only issue I had is that I had a saved flight set to open when FS opens and it said that it couldn't find the saved flight or the file is corrupt.  However, when I loaded it from the menu it loaded without any issues.

I have opened FSX and tried different planes and different locations.  All seems to be loading as normal after making the changes you showed.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2017 at 5:28pm
That's great news that it's mainly holding together.

What I would suggest now is that you uninstall UTX USA V2 (if it is still installed) and after this is done make sure that FSX SE stills runs.

Once you've confirmed that, you can then try to re-install UTX USA V2. Make sure that you run the installer and setup tools by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator". Double-check that when the multi-platform installer starts that it lists FSX-SE as a platform it can install into. Also make sure that the location which it gets from the Windows registry is auto-populated and is correct.

If at any stage things don't look right, stop, and send screenshots and details of what steps you had taken to get to the point you were at when you encountered something strange.

Jeff

mattsimm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattsimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2017 at 8:20pm
So, everything went smoothly this time during install.  It showed me both the boxed version and the steam edition on the install manager.  I selected steam.  It auto-populated all the fields and the install seemed to work just fine.

Then the setup tool (which starts directly after install) game me this same error message that it can't find the scenery.cfg.
mattsimm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattsimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2017 at 10:14pm
In case you need pictures of what I am seeing through the install process.

After the installation of the manager I see this screen.  (I didn't see the box option before I changed the registry.)  I select FSX Steam

Then the next option shows up and is now auto populating an address in the box.  I don't change anything I just click next.  The process installs and then a second installation starts right after following the same process.

After the installation the Setup Tool attempts to open and thats when I get the no scenery.cfg image.  (this time it describes the path as "FSX-SE" when before I changed the registry it shows the path as "FSX".  I think it just hates me.  HAHA (just kidding).
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2017 at 11:14pm
This is very strange. The SCENERY.CFG is not supposed to be anywhere under AppData at all. It should be under "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX".

You should also not be seeing a Boxed FSX Version choice in the Ultimate Terrain Install Manager. This is likely owing to something in the registry not being quite right after the manual edits or some locations which have not yet been corrected. I'll have to think about this for a bit and do some further investigations on my system which just has FSX-SE on it.

After you did the uninstall of UTX USA are you sure that there were no old UT install manager folders/files related to it left on the system?

Jeff

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2017 at 11:29pm
Can you double-check that the Co-Existance registry value under 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition' is set to 0x00000000 not 0x00000001.

Also can you go to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games' and take screenshots with all columns expanded so we can see the full values for any Flight Simulator related sub-trees and any sub-trees inside them. They may be for FSX and FSX-SE.

Go to 'HKEY_USERS'. In it you should see a number of sub-trees. There should be a pair of longer named ones, one which ends with '_Classes' and one which does not. For the one which does not, go into it and navigate to 'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games'. You should see a set of entries for 'Flight Simulator' and 'Flight Simulator - Steam Edition'. Make sure that everything in there exactly matches the same structure, files and values as the ones you modified under 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\'.

Jeff

mattsimm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattsimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2017 at 12:34pm
After the un-install I did look to see if I could find any left over files/folders.  I did not.  May have missed some but I did look within the FSX Steam folder as well as the program 86 folder.

I double checked the registry key and it is infact set at 0. (see image below)

Under the Local Machine\software....reg folders there is nothing but "Default" in the Microsoft Games folder and nothing in it to expand.  (See Below)

In the HKEY_USERS folder there are two options like what you are describing.  One ends in 1000, the other in 1001.  There is no Microsoft games folder in 1000 but there is one in 1001 and it does match the files that we edited in the Current User\Software folder.  (See images below) 

Below are the paths in the folder ending in 1001

Although it may be time consuming...would the best option here be to delete everything from my computer (All add-ons and FSX Steam edition itself to include all files it may leave behind) and start over from the beginning.  If this is an option, is it okay to delete any registry files it may leave behind?

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2017 at 3:41pm
Based on the latest screenshots you posted it is clear that you did not make all the required changes as I indicated in the three screenshots I posted as to what should be in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry section for Microsoft Games.

What I indicated were the only things that should be there i.e. there should be no "10.0" sub-tree under "Flight Simulator - Steam Edition". There should be no "Launch" sub-tree under "Flight Simulator".

Delete these listed HKEY_CURRENT_USER sub-trees and their contents to make sure that you only see what I indicated in the 3 screenshots.

Once that is done, try doing an uninstall of UTX USA V2.x again and then re-install to see if the UT Install Manager just lists FSX - Steam Edition.

As for doing a complete uninstall and re-install, that is an option, but would be the last one I'd consider as it too will need lots of work to make sure that all folders/files and registry entries have been completely removed before starting an install. As there as still noted issues with how you have your current registry entries, these should be corrected first to see where that gets you.

Jeff

mattsimm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattsimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2017 at 9:34pm
Success!!!

It works!  I even ran FSX Steam for a while in a few different areas and I can tell it is working!!  Thank you so much for the time you took to help me!!  Your help is greatly appreciated!!!!  Clap

Thanks again so much!  

-Matt

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2017 at 9:41pm
Smile

Jeff

astroavion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astroavion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 1:01am
6 months later, and I had the same problem, Jeff. Been working on it for about 48 hours, now. I finally found this article, followed it to the letter, and it also worked for me. Much thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic