SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain Series > Support for all the 'Ultimate' Series of Terrain Products
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[Solved] UTX street lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsvette12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Solved] UTX street lights
    Posted: April-12-2011 at 11:08pm
May be a crazy question but wondering if only the lights can be used in conjunction with gex, reason for this would be the fps hit you take when flying a pmdg product like the 747 can be a bit much even on my 6 core with the best video card, so wondering if I could disable all the data from loading except the lights as the software has been created now, if not that might be an interesting addon for buyers who need to cut down on all the addons creating a big hit on fps, I run gex - rex - ut2 - would luv to reload utx but fsx runs smoother with out utx but miss it and my street lights also, thank you.
Rich
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 5:17pm
As noted in the sticky post on Diagnosing UTX Performance Issues, apart from the night lighting and additional vehicle traffic, the rest of the UTX features have minimal performance impact.

You would therefore gain almost nothing by just keeping the lights and dropping other features (if that can be done - I've never tried it - and would likely require some strange configuration choices in both the UTX Setup Tool and the FSX Scenery Library).

Note - as FSX is primarily CPU bound, has minimal use of additional cores apart from loading scenery, and does not make much use of extended rendering ability by high-end graphics cards, in general it would come down to the CPU speed for the main core which determines the framerate you see in FSX.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
rsvette12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsvette12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 6:54pm
Hi Jeff:

Thanks for the reply Big smile I have a gigabyte x58 extreme mb with a i7-970 6 core with 1600mhz 12 gig of corsair dominator ram and a evga gtx580 and I do see a performance hit with utx us and canada, not sure why but would like to use it but with 747 seems to make a difference without utx, dont like the idea of it but I have checked out forum for a resoulution, I think your right about the lights being the bigger hit, well anyway any ideas of loading it on another hard drive maybe or things like that would be appreciated, I am also running windows 7 ultimate x64 if that helps, take care.

Regards, Rich 
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 12:00am
Have you checked out NickN's FSX Tuning Guide here? It has a lot of good pointers on getting the best out of OS and hardware for FSX.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
rsvette12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsvette12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 12:28am
Yes sir, seems to be better trying everything, thanks Jeff.

Regards, Rich
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 4:43am

The primary performance killer in UTX is the UTX lights..   so it seems to me you are asking for the same problem without the other perks

Items that cause UTX perf reductions (other than Alaska) are;

1. Street/intersection lighting (intersection lighting the least of the two)  I use intersection lighting without the street lights

2. Road/car traffic in the USA/Canada products and must be disabled in the UTX config tool, not set to zero in FSX

3. Bridge objects..  the more of these enabled in a single area, the harder the perf impact. Generally, Europe is effected by this far more that North America

even if you shut off bridges and cars, none of them impact perf as hard as major road lighting so your request is asking the UTX devs to crush your perf about the same without the other benefits of UTX which mean corrected shorelines, urban landclass, rivers, streams, roads, etc would be lost.

rsvette12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsvette12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 7:37am
Hi Nick got yah pal appreciate the explanation, I will look into making your changes, thank you.

Regards, Rich
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic