SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

(Solved) Ultimate Alaska X & FSX Steam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookiephd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (Solved) Ultimate Alaska X & FSX Steam
    Posted: June-12-2017 at 3:04pm
Hello,

I've seen this asked once, but that thread did not take me any further as the guy had a different setup.
I have both FSX and FSX Steam Edition installed on my PC and I want to install VAX for FSX-SE.

I chose the FSX-SE folder manually during install, also changed it in the settings window (it defaulted to FSX based on registry I guess). It seemingly did install the content (Ux... folders in Scenery, I also see new entries in terrain.cfg), but it's not picked up by FSX-SE.

Is there any way to make this work? I consider myself a power user, so I'm happy to change registry settings / update config files manually if that helps.

Many thanks in advance
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 10:43pm
Ultimate Alaska X is designed only for use in FSX Boxed. The installer for Ultimate Alaska X was created at a time when there was no FSX Steam Edition. It does not know how to correctly install to it even if you point it at the FSX-SE location as other configuration entries need to get written to various files which are in different locations for FSX-SE (and different again when in co-existance mode with FSX boxed).

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 11:34am
To add to what Jeff said, Ultimate Alaska is basically going to need a complete redesign from ground up.   The interface is different from the Ultimate Terrain products, which is why it is technically not named Ultimate Terrain Alaska.

We do have plans for an updated Ultimate Alaska later this year.
Allen

patful View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 8:57pm
I bought GEP3D World, UTX Canada v2, and UTX TAC v2 this week to add to my UTX USA v2 in P3D4. Will the new Alaska (and the Express Sim products) blend in with the UTX areas? Thanks.

Pat
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 9:41pm
XpressSim works perfect in all P3D versions Pat. I helped Allen make sure of that.

UT Alaska has not yet been incorporated to Preapr3D and may not since it is old technology Allen prefers be upgraded

Unlike UT Alaska technology from years back, XpressSim does not hit frames and allows an incredible amount of scenery be displayed with minimal frame hit and high quality at the same time.
patful View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 11:38pm
Thanks, Nick. There's plenty of North America for me to explore, just a little sad to be missing that one piece. Alaska's not the same without the UTX touch. Once my wallet recovers I'll start looking at ExpressSim offerings.

Pat
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 2:37am
I do agree.

It would be awesome if Allen did a XpressSim collection of the prime cities/areas and scenery features the UT AK product provided.

Those are high interest areas.

Unfortunately and I really do not understand why, the low price incredibly detailed XpressSim scenery isn't selling as well as hoped.

I think folks have stupid over the top scenery addons on their brains and just cant get past the mob-mentality about it.

:)
patful View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 11:00pm
Ha! I don't really get the need for the super-detailed airports, it's a flight simulator. I don't want to see a guy grilling burgers for his bikini-clad wife while his children chase a squirrel across the runway into the natural-looking grass. Smile I just want to fly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic