SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Flight One Product Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[Solved] SKY UNLIMITED P-38

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Solved] SKY UNLIMITED P-38
    Posted: April-21-2017 at 12:10am
I recently purchased the sky unlimited p-38. I downloaded it and installed to my FSX program. My computer said the installation was successful. However, when I open FSX, the airplane is not there. I re-installed the airplane several times checking that the installation path was correct. I got the same results. No airplane. I went to the sky unlimited web site and ordered the program directly from them thinking this would solve the problem. IT DID NOT! The same problem exists. When I tried to go to the support page, I  got another search page. it is impossible to E-mail these people. I have paid for 2 of these programs and have nothing to show for it. If you think I'm angry, your right.  Ouch  I even tried to submit a complaint with the better business bureau but sky unlimited lists no location,address or phone number. The site only lists the owner/operator as Jesse Lambert. This guy is something else. He's impossible to contact.  If anyone can help with this situation, I would appreciate it. Cry  Thanks___ Pete
Pete
ubersu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubersu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2017 at 6:28am
Have you checked the "show all variations" box at the bottom of the FSX aircraft selection screen? Is there a folder for the aircraft in the FSX\simobjects\airplanes folder?

DJ
Pete1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2017 at 11:48am
Hi____ I can't select "all variations" because the airplane is not in FSX. I need to find a way to contact SKY UNLIMITED support. This seems to be impossible but thank you for your reply.  Cry
Pete
Pete1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2017 at 11:51am
There is no p-38 in the sim-objects folder. Confused
Pete
ubersu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubersu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2017 at 12:44pm
If there is no P-38 entry in the SimObjects\Airplanes folder then the aircraft was not installed in the correct location. What path did you give the installer and did you run the installer from the right click "run as administrator". You can and must select the FSX "show all variations" in the aircraft selection menu regardless of the P-38 or you will not see all aircraft or liveries that you may install.

DJ
Pete1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2017 at 8:52pm
I checked the installation path when I re-installed it again. The path is as follows.  C:\program files\microsoft games\ microsoft flight simulator X. I also removed McAfee from my computer. Smile
Pete
ubersu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubersu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2017 at 10:41pm
If you installed FSX to the default path it should be C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X - the program files path is only correct if you are running XP or Win7 32bit. If program files is correct then something is blocking the installation.

DJ
Pete1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 5:13pm
Thanks again for your reply. I noticed the note on the installer about the program (86) folder. I re-installed the airplane with the additional folder hoping it would solve the problem but it didn't. Something else is causing the problem but I can't think of what it might be. I'll keep trying, making sure the program (86) files are included. Confused
Pete
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 10:44pm
Have you run the installer by right-clicking on it and selecting "Run as administrator"? If you are running on a Windows OS of Vista or newer then you may be running into an issue with its user access control (UAC) which looks to protect things being written into folders like Program Files (whether the x86 version or not).

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
Pete1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 11:43am
Hi Jeff____ thanks for our reply. I haven't tried that but I will. I was not aware of this particular issue. Smile
Pete
Pete1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 12:10pm
Jeff____ I tried opening with "run as administrator" like you said but it didn't work. Still no airplane in FSX.
Pete
Pete1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2017 at 5:49pm
I have received a backup disk and used it to try to install the p-38. I installed it as "administrator" and added the program (86) files. Once again, my computer said the program installed correctly. Once again, when I  opened FSX the airplane was not there. Cry Now I'm really ticked off. I still cannot find a way to contact support at SKY UNLIMITED. I have tried everything I can think of but no success. OuchThumbs Down
Pete
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2017 at 8:14pm
As I own a copy of this software but haven't re-installed it on my FSX system after I swapped hardware I could give it a go and see how I get on with it.

A few questions for you ahead of time:

- What OS are you using? Windows 7/10? 64-bit or 32-bit?
- What version of FSX are you using? FSX Boxed? FSX Steam?
- Where did you get the Sky Unlimited P-38 download from?

Jeff

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2017 at 10:37pm
I dug this out of cold-storage and installed it with no issue on FSX boxed on a 64-bit Windows 10 system. The only thing I can see which would get in the way is if you do not correctly enter/select the correct path for your main FSX folder and do not run the installer using the right-click administrator method.

- Exactly what path are you entering in the installer when it displays where it wants to install it?
- Does it complain whether that folders exists or not?
- Where do you have FSX installed i.e. the path to the folder where the FSX.exe is?

Jeff

Pete1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 4:12pm
Hi Jeff______ I have windows 7 premium and the path that I''m using to install is C:\program files(x86)microsoft games\microsoft flight simulator X. I am also installing as administrator. The computer says the folder exists. Confused Smile
Pete
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 10:21pm
Just double-checking that you missed a space and one of the '\' in that path i.e. you are really trying to install to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X". Note the space between the "Program Files" and "(x86)", and the additional "\" between "Program Files (x86)" and "Microsoft Games".

Small differences like this could mean the difference between things working and not.

If you do have the correct path as I indicated, for it not to be working is very strange. It starts to get into things like folders potentially being write protected, an anti-malware tool stopping the installation, corrupt installer, etc..

Unfortunately as the obvious things have been covered, it now gets tougher to continue to troubleshoot without access to the system but will keep on trying.

Jeff

Pete1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2017 at 4:38pm
Hi Jeff_____ thanks for another reply. Smile I double checked for additional spaces ad there are no additional \.
    You mentioned files being write protected. When I install, there is a note that says "one or more files are write protected. Do you want to overwrite them now?" If I select yes, the program proceeds to install. If I select no, the program will not install.
    All my anti-malware has been turned off.
    I have downloaded the program several times and also used a backup disk so I don't think it could be a corrupt installer. Confused  Strange indeed.
Pete
rarmstr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rarmstr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2017 at 5:05pm
I am having the same problem. Windows 10 - 64 bit, FSX Steam edition.

It asks for 2 folders during installation. What should they be set to? I am guessing the second folder is the location of FSX within steam?? Is there an install document somewhere? This is one of the most non-standard install processes I have ever seen with very little help.

For more than $50, I would expect a little better.
rarmstr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rarmstr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2017 at 5:29pm
I just asked for my money back. I can't believe that the installation process is so difficult (or impossible in my situation). I've just wasted 5 hours I'll never get back. 

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2017 at 11:04pm
rarmstr,

Unless they have recently updated the installer as this aircraft was developed way back in 2010 long before there was a Steam version of FSX it is not surprising that it will not install in that version of the sim.

I just checked their web-site and it notes that is is for FSX SP2 or Acceleration and does not mention Steam. Did you check the requirements before purchasing? It is important to do when it comes to older add-ons like these.

Jeff

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2017 at 11:07pm
Pete1,

My previous reply to you indicated that the path you supplied in your post was incorrect. There should have been an additional space and there should have been an additional '\' i.e. you need to guarantee that you have the following as the install path (without the quotes):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X"

If you have anything else is not surprising that it is not installing correctly.

If you are also getting warning about write-protected files then this is an indication that there is something wrong with the folder/file permissions in your FSX folder tree and/or some anti-malware tool is locking a file. You should not be getting any warning if your system is setup OK and FSX is not running when you try to do the install.

Jeff

Pete1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 11:20am
Hmmmmm. Guess I got that all wrong. Will try again and see what happens. Embarrassed
Pete
Pete1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 11:46am
OK_____I tried installing again and used the path exactly as you outlined it. Just to verify___ this is what I used.  C:\programfiles (x86)\microsoft games\microsoft flight simulator X  Big smile Is this correct?
Pete
Pete1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 11:48am
Forgot to mention____ I got the usual same results. no airplane in FSX.
Pete
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Pete1 Pete1 wrote:

OK_____I tried installing again and used the path exactly as you outlined it. Just to verify___ this is what I used.  C:\programfiles (x86)\microsoft games\microsoft flight simulator X  Big smile Is this correct?

No. You missed a space between "Program" and "Files".

Do a copy and paste of the path I provided in my previous message.

Please can you also check that if you go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X" that this is where the FSX.exe is.

Jeff

Pete1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 11:41pm
You want me to copy and paste but I don't know where it's supposed to go. Please show me how to do this. Embarrassed
Pete
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 10:30pm
It goes in the text entry box on the dialog in the installer which asks for the path to the installation folder i.e.

Jeff

Pete1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 9:06pm
    I re-installed the airplane utilizing all the indicated spaces and still got the same results. NO AIRPLANE. I double checked the installation path and it was OK. Confused I don't know what else we can do. I'm sure if you were controlling my computer, you would have all this solved in about 2 minutes!  Cry  LOL
Pete
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 10:50pm
While it is rare to end up remotely controlling a customer's system to troubleshoot things, I have done it in the past. If you are open to doing that let me know in this thread.

If it is a go, then I'll contact you via a private message with further details on what is needed at your end.

Jeff

Pete1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2017 at 10:50am
It's OK for you to control my computer.
    By the way, last night I purchased another airplane, downloaded it and installed it to FSX. The installation went perfectly and I noted the path was exactly as you had previously mentioned in this thread. It's a Milviz F-100. It flies great. I wanted to see if I would have the same problem as with the P-38, but such was not the case. Confused
Pete
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2017 at 3:46pm
Just a follow up for anyone else following this thread. Remote control initiated and was able to make sure that the aircraft was installed and visible.

Jeff

Pete1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2017 at 5:09pm
    You're a genius_____ airplane flies great. Thank you so much for your time and patience.SmileSmile
Pete
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic