SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain Series > Support for all the 'Ultimate' Series of Terrain Products
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[Solved] Scenery.cfg File error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bystander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Solved] Scenery.cfg File error
    Posted: December-27-2010 at 7:18pm

With my present setup I have been running FSX with FS acceleration and FS Genesis without any problems and not stuttering. Global texture: High, Level of detail radius: Large,  Mesh Complex: 78, Mesh Res: 5 m, Scen. Complex: Very Dense, and Autogen Density: Very Dense. I was setup with Nickn’s Tweaks and with a FPS limited to 25 FPS the FPS stayed locked on to that.

I installed UTX – USA default location and I get stuttering and sluggish A/C controls that I can not tune out.  Now I get from 7 to 9 FPS. On a hunch I downloaded and attempted to install Patch 1.4 exactly as per directions.  I extracted UtxPatch.exe and  UtxUsaV14.exe to my F:>Flight Simulator X (Which is where my FSX install is located – I hope that this wasn’t a mistake) When I tried to extract  the UtxPatch.exe it could not locate the FSX install folder so I browsed and entered that.  The Patch Install evidently installed the Patch although I can’t locate it after installed. I figured that it was in the UTX file.  The installation validating appeared to be OK, and the Setup Tool activates.

Now the real problem. After the Patch install when I opened FSX I get the warning: “ SCENERY.CFG file error. Invalid Remote scenery path in Scenery Area.115. Click OK to continue”. Area .115 is Addon Scenery. The stuttering problem continues. UTX takes the first 12 priorities in Addon Scenery. When I click on that and go to F>Flight Simulator X> Scenery UT files take the last 12 slots (above) World.

I would like to resolve the cfg file error but don’t know what to look for. If not, can you tell me if I uninstall UTX – USA will it take the patch with it, leaving me more or less clean on that.  Then I will start over. Thanks for the help.

Intel e6600 Core 2 Duo @3.6 GHz
ASUS P5Q Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
WD Black Caviar 1TB SATA II
WD VRap 150 GB SATA
Corsair CMPSU 550W
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2010 at 11:46pm
Based on your description you have a number of issues.

Firstly it could be that you at one time installed some other add-on scenery and then removed it. Sadly this other add-on had a poorly written installer/uninstaller and it went and deleted a default FSX folder and/or its contents. This is what is causing the scenery.cfg area. Luckily there is a simple solution to this if you have done anything more after you sent in this post.

You need to go to your main FSX folder (which is likely "F:\Flight Simulator X") and check to see if there is a folder called "Addon Scenery". If this folder does not exist create it. If it does exist go inside it and check that you have two sub-folders called "scenery" and "texture". If they do not exist (and if you had to recreate "Addon Scenery" itself) create both of them. This should fix the scenery.cfg error when you start FSX if it is caused by these folders being missing.

Another possible cause for the error is that when you manually selected the location for the update you did not point it at the main FSX folder i.e. "F:\Flight Simulator X", but instead went and incorrectly selected something like "F:\Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery". I'm not sure what this could have done to the scenery.cfg. I suspect nothing as the original entries for UTX USA would already been in it, but if new entries were written they would have been incorrect.

I would not have advised extracting the UTX patch files directly into the main FSX folder (best to keep them in a temporary folder outside as they do not need to stay around after the patch itself is applied) but it will cause no issue. You can tell if the patch was correctly applied by running the UTX Setup Tool and it will tell you the version number in the title bar or if you select "About the Setup Tool" from the Help menu. Full details about this and other information related to the Setup Tool and updates can be found in the various UTX FAQs e.g. UTX Setup Tool FAQ and UTX Updates FAQ.

You also have an issue in that your Windows registry does not contain the necessary or correct information about the FSX installation. If it had been correct then the UTX patch would have been able to find this information during its installation. The UTX USA Setup Tool has an option to identify where the registry does think FSX is installed and can also fix this if it is correct. Select the "Change FSX Location" option from the UTX Setup Tool "FSX" menu. The registry entry for FSX should point to "F:\Flight Simulator X" (assuming that is where the FSX.exe is on your setup.

In general UTX should not cause any major negative framerate impact for most of its features. The two which can impact them are night lighting objects and vehicle traffic. See our sticky post in this forum on Diagnosing UTX Performance Issues for more information. Now unless you are flying at night with AI road traffic (and other AI) pushed way up and are flying in one of the complex FSX locations such as Seattle or New York in a complex add-on aircraft, you should not be seeing such low framerates unless you have something significantly wrong with your system and/or FSX installation/configuration.

To uninstall UTX USA just use the supplied uninstaller. This can be located from your Windows Start Menu in "Flight One Software->Ultimate Terrain X - USA".

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
Bystander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bystander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 4:57pm
Jeff, I indeed had the Addon Scenery Folder, and in it was the sub-folders Scenery and Texture.  In the scenery folder there were many .bgl files which all appeared to be FSGenesis .bgls. The UTX Setup tool showed the Version 1.4.0. The registry entry and the UTX entry both showed F:\Flight Simulator X.  Let me mention again that the "SCENERY.cfg File Error did not appear until after I had installed the 1.4 patch if that means anything.

ASUS P5Q Pro
WD VRap 150 GB SATA
Corsair CMPSU 550W
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 6:53pm
I think that the scenery.cfg warning happening after installing UTX is purely coincidental but we can still look to get it resolved. We need to find out where the FSX Scenery Library thinks the entry for 'Addon Scenery' is pointing to as it currently does not seem to be matched with a physical folder on your system.

- Start FSX.
- At the main screen select 'Setting' and then 'Scenery Library'.
- Scroll through the list of available scenery areas until you find 'Addon Scenery' and select it (click once on the line in the list).
- Click the 'Edit Area' button.
- If it is configured correctly, it should say 'Addon Scenery' in the 'Directory' field and 'Flight Simulator X' in the 'Look in' field. You should also see a folder named 'Addon Scenery' at, or near the top of the list in the folder picker.
- If things are correct then just press 'Cancel' and then 'Cancel' out of the FSX Scenery Library.
- If it is not correct then you need to fix the error. First make sure that the 'Look in' field is pointing at your main FSX folder i.e. 'F:\Flight Simulator X'.
- You should now see the folder 'Addon Scenery' listed at, or near the top of the folder picker. Click on it once and press the 'OK' button.
- You should now see 'Addon Scenery' listed in the 'Look in' field, see folders 'scenery' and 'texture' listed in the folder picker, and see 'Addon Scenery' in the 'Directory' field. If this is the case just click once in the white space in the folder picker area directly under the 'texture' folder. This should take you back to the main FSX Scenery Library listing.
- Press OK to get back to the main FSX window and start a flight. The warning should no longer appear if the steps were completed correctly.

Jeff

Bystander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bystander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 7:57pm
Jeff when I click Setting and Scenery Library and click Addon Scenery And Edit button I get I get New Volume F in the "Look in" which of course is my F drive. In the folder list there is Flight Simulator X is in the no Addon Scenery, and when I click on Flight Simulator X in the list, I get Addon Scenery which contains Scenery and Texture sub-files.  I clicked once in the white space as directed but when I clicked on OK it would not take me back to the library listing. 

ASUS P5Q Pro
WD VRap 150 GB SATA
Corsair CMPSU 550W
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 11:26pm
When you click in the white space it should automatically take you back to the main FSX Scenery Library i.e. you should not need to press OK if you are clicking in the right location.

If this is where you are clicking then you may not have followed the above instructions exactly as noted. For example, if you are double-clicking on the 'Addon Scenery' folder name when you see the list of folders in the 'Flight Simulator X' folder rather than just single-clicking on it and then pressing OK, then you will not be able to click in the area indicated.

Jeff

Bystander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bystander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 11:55pm
I'm Sorry.  I am clicking in the right place and I have tried it three times with the same results. Does the fact that it starts with New Volume F in the look-in field have anything to do with it?

ASUS P5Q Pro
WD VRap 150 GB SATA
Corsair CMPSU 550W
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2010 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Bystander Bystander wrote:

Does the fact that it starts with New Volume F in the look-in field have anything to do with it?

No, that is just an indication that the current setting in the FSX Scenery Library for the 'Addon Scenery' layer is incorrect, and hence giving you the warning.

I am wondering if you have any folder permissions of user access control (UAC) issues preventing the FSX.exe making changes to the scenery.cfg file.

Try this, right-click on the icon you use to start FSX and select "Run as administrator". Follow the steps described previously to try and make the changes to the 'Addon Scenery' layer in the FSX Scenery Library.

Jeff

Bystander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bystander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2010 at 6:26pm
I tried it as you suggested however it did not make any difference.  Just out of curiosity, tried it again and double clicked and then clicked OK and it worked?  Completely fixed as far as I can see.
To return to the first part of my original question., I ran the Nickn tweak for UTX and my performance returned to where it was.  I even started getting the 25 FPS as before. I have found that when I try to run the addon Corenado Cessna C-182Q it goes back to the stutters. I hate that because I thought that it was an excellent addon.
Thank you Jeff for your patience and expertise.

ASUS P5Q Pro
WD VRap 150 GB SATA
Corsair CMPSU 550W
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic