SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[SOLVED] Backup deleted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asquel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [SOLVED] Backup deleted
    Posted: January-08-2018 at 1:32pm
Hello,
By error, I have deleted the BACKUP_REGIONS folder. It is completely deleted, I do not  have access to it anymore. The GEX interface is blank and does not allow me to do anything. What can I do ?
Thanks for any help !

Alain
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 3:25pm
If you had deleted the backup through the GEX interface which is a function provided, the issue you are seeing would not have happened. The GEX manual outlines how to delete the backup using the interface.

The directory name is: GEX_REGIONS_BACKUP

At this point and since you manually deleted the backup and have no way to recover it, you can manually edit the configuration file so the interface runs...

1. Browse to: C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Flight One Software\GEX

2. Open the following file in NOTEPAD: GEX_config.ini

3. Edit the file at the bottom of the list with this text: DeletedBackup=1

4. Save and close the file

The GEX interface will now open and run as it should without any backup search.

Your backup is gone and assuming you can not go to the recycle bin and restore it to its original location, the process above will allow the interface to run without a backup present.
asquel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asquel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2018 at 6:18am
Hello Nick,
Thanks a lot, I have recovered the GEX interface. Anyway, I did not plan to use again the default FSX textures.
Last night, I thought to another solution : I have an old PC with a basic FSX installation. If I install GEX on that computer, I assume it will generate a GEX_REGIONS_BACKUP folder, which I then would copy to my operational FSX computer. Is this a workable procedure ? How many regions would I have to install to recover a complete backup folder ? Just to see...

Thank you again for the help !
Alain
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2018 at 1:18pm
If you wanted to have an entire backup you would have to install all the GEX regions you own into the 2nd system and allow the interface to run the backup operations for each region you have.

Once that is done you can copy the entire GEX_REGIONS_BACKUP directory, which is by default set to be created on C:\ unless you instruct the interface to move it, over to the system missing the backup. You can store it anywhere.

You will need to manually edit the DeletedBackup=1 out of the GEX_config.ini file and resave it.

When you open the interface and if the backup is not located the interface will ask you to browse to the directory location. NOTE: That is the location of the directory, not the directory itself.

ie: Lets say you put the GEX_REGIONS_BACKUP folder in a directory on the F:\  drive named 'Storage' - F:\Storage\GEX_REGIONS_BACKUP  you would browse the interface to F:\Storage and it will locate the folder.

If you never moved the backup in the past and to make it easy I would just put the GEX_REGIONS_BACKUP on the C:\ drive and after editing the INI file the interface will find it.. one of the options in the interface is MOVE BACKUP, you can use that function to move the backup where ever you want to store it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic