SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Small streams Disappear with UTX enabled + OpenLC?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Small streams Disappear with UTX enabled + OpenLC?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markm75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small streams Disappear with UTX enabled + OpenLC?
    Posted: August-23-2017 at 1:32pm
I just happened to notice a subtle difference with p3dv4 and the latest UTXUSA v2.3.. just striving for accuracy and curious why this is (utx data overrides what should be?)  I did notice that if i uncheck UT exclusions for default, then the stream appears, but this isnt supposed to be done..

I do have OPENLC installed, but in this test i turn off OPENLC and leave UTX as the only product active  (when i run them both i have the utx entries below the openlc in the library order.. i've experimented with turning off the custom landclass options (all 4) in the UTX interface but this doesnt seem to do much..  specifically under landclass/waterclass.. LC9 Vegetative.. LCX urban.. LUX Custom  (i would think if these are left on then for areas where OpenLC NA doesnt cover, UTX would show through?)

So if OPENLC is the only thing enabled (or default)..
You'll notice the small stream on the right.. in this original photo and in the "OPENLC/Default" only shot..(near pittsburgh downtown)

Photo:

Here is openlc only (where the stream is visible and it is in default as well):

Here is UTX by itself 

And just for completion sake.. UTX + OPENLC combined

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
http://tech-stew.com
http://flight-stew.com
Z170-a; SL Delid 6700k 4.7 F4-3200C15D-16GVK @1.40; Evga 1080FTW Hy
markm75 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markm75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 2:11pm
I should mention.. if i leave UT exclusions for default scenery on, but move it up to like the 3rd entry from the bottom, just above default scenery, instead of clustered with the rest of the utx entries.. i get that stream to appear, however roads are doubled up.
markm75 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markm75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 5:55pm
I got this working for now.. but with a combination of UTX + Vector.

I turned off ALL roads in the vector settings (except tertiary roads).. left vector enabled in the library..

However.. i put ORBX!Vector_EXX at the bottom of the listing (doesnt matter though, that i moved it).. key was i disabled the entry.. then after this.. just above Bathymetry, I have enabled the UT Exclusions for Default Scenery.

I think in doing this this makes only scenery from there down get the UTX version over default.. before having that entry above vector would nullify features of vector.

In doing this i get the same load times as no vector.. but i get the extra (missing streams).. i get a few extra roads too.

If there was a fix from UTX for the missing streams that would eliminate the need for vector i think.. but maybe its based on flawed data, unsure.

I've also ENABLED minor urban roads (residential).. i feel this gives it a more realistic appearance.. i'm not seeing an autogen or fps drawback to doing so.

**The only issue i'm having right now is i dont seem to be seeing traffic/cars on the roads.. i have traffic at 5% in sim, but i've tried higher numbers to no avail (i have it off in UTX but i've tried turning on utx traffic too)
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 8:58pm
I think that you are causing some confusion with yourself of what things do and also with changing priorities of scenery layers when you do not know how things are intended to work.

Firstly, streams are vector scenery just like roads and railroads. They will always appear on top of ground textures which are controlled by landclass (the landclass is like the 'number' in a paint by numbers picture, while the ground texture is like the 'paint'). Therefore unless you have exclusions caused by incorrectly layered content or have features disabled, streams should always appear over graound textures.

Next, it is highly unlikely that you will ever get a combination of vector scenery and landclass/ground textures to match a real world photograph because of the limitations of how these features work in sim.

Running two vector products is always going to be an issue. They are trying to do the same thing and therefore will cause visual issues depending on the accuracy of the data used to produce the vectors i.e. it is either UTX or ORBX Vector but not both.

As noted in the manual which installed with UTX the "UT Exclusions for Default Scenery" is the most important layer. It has to be below all UTX layers and above anything default in the sim. Moving it around without knowing exactly what the impact will be is almost guaranteed to cause issues.

In summary:

- You should NOT use two vector products for the same area.
- Streams will NOT be hidden by different landclass.
- Moving the "UT Exclusions for Default Scenery" around without understanding exactly what it will do will cause issues.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic