SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Setup Tool critical error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john1154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setup Tool critical error
    Posted: January-10-2017 at 9:07am
product - Ultimate Terrian X SE, Europe v2.1.0
UAC switched off
UtSetup run with administration
Windows 10
Steam FSX edition

Hi, The setup tool is throwing a critical error saying it cant find the SCENERY.CFG. Initially this was because it was seaching a path for microsoft FSX but I have the steam download. So I went into the PRODUCT.cnf file and made the following change highlighted in red below.

[Product]
Region=EUR
Version=2.1.0
Platform=FSX_SE
Product=Ultimate Terrain X SE- Europe
[Settings]
NoWarningCheck=0
Developer=1
DefaultWaterTextures=0
DefaultTextureRes=1024
HaloTexture=0
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX
Registry=Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0
SceneryCfg=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SCENERY.CFG
FsxCfg=Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG
TerrainCfg=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX
Exe=Fsx.exe

However, when setup runs it trys to seach the path:
C:Users\john_znthtx0\AppData\Roaming\C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SCENERY>CFG

I have no idea why it stuffs in the leading path. Can you help please?
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 10:20pm
If things installed correctly there should never be a need to manually edit entries in an internal installation configuration file.

Did you run the installer by right-clicking on it and selecting "Run as administrator"?

Have you ever had the boxed FSX installed on your system and then removed it? This is known to leave garbage behind in the Windows registry and manual steps are needed to fix it.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
john1154 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john1154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 10:51pm
Yes I installed under admin and its a new computer no previous versions.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2017 at 12:15pm
OK, if you have never installed boxed FSX on that system there are a few things you need to know to try to understand what might be going on.

- On a system which has never had boxed FSX and that you install FSX-SE on, the FSX-SE installer and FSX.exe themselves do a lot of things to make it look like it is a boxed FSX. While it may put the game itself in the FSX-SE specific Steam program files location, it will put many configuration files in the same location that boxed FSX would put them and they will (correctly) just have FSX and not FSX-SE in the folder path to them. It only uses an FSX-SE folder path when installed in co-existance mode (which is not your case). It is therefore correct that you see just FSX mentions in some locations.

- While there is a SCENERY.CFG in the main FSX-SE (or FSX) games folder where the FSX.exe is this is NOT the one used to add third-party scenery into. The one in the main games folder is just a starting template for the real one used and is copied to the active location when FSX first runs. The SCENERY.CFG file which is used is located somewhere else i.e. under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX. You should go and check that the file is there.

- Some of the paths listed in the UTX internal installation configuration files are absolute paths and some are relative paths. In your hack of this internal file you went and put an absolute path where a relative path is used. This why you are getting the UTX Setup tool looking at the strange path you listed as it is appending your absolute path onto the end of another path it uses internally.

At this point as your installation is non-standard with manually modified installation files your best bet is to do the following:

- Use the provided uninstaller to remove UTX Europe.
- Make sure that FSX-SE has been run at least once and locate where the SCENERY.CFG which is used (not the template version in the main game folder) is located. Let us know where this is. It should be where I indicated above.
- Run the UTX Europe installation again. Make sure that you run all steps of this by right-clicking on the executables and selecting "Run as administrator". Just running from an admin account is not enough.
- Run the UTX Setup Tool for UTX Europe (again by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator"). Report back if it complains during its self-test.

Jeff

john1154 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john1154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2017 at 12:30pm
Hi Jeff I will do a search for all SCENERY.CFG files on my system and get back sortly. However, your config file also wants to reference FSX.CFG. This file does not exist on the steam version as they named it FSX_se.CFG.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2017 at 2:18pm
The FSX config file is not named fsx_se.CFG unless FSX-SE has installed in co-existance mode i.e. it thinks it is running alongside FSX boxed. It will also be located in that case under something like C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE.

On a system which just has FSX-SE on it and never seen boxed FSX the file will be called fsx.CFG and be located under C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX. As noted in my previous message this is because FSX-SE tries to look as much like FSX boxed in this case.

I have a reference laptop with only FSX-SE on it to check this against, while my main system is a co-existance mode system.

Jeff

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic