SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSETTING UP FSX and HOW TO TUNE IT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Topic: SETTING UP FSX and HOW TO TUNE IT
    Posted: January-05-2009 at 1:16pm

NOTICE: THIS THREAD IS VERY OLD AND ALTHOUGH THE INFORMATION IN IT REMAINS VALID AND THE LINKS PROVIDED DIRECTY BELOW ABOUT WINDOWS 7 AND FSX REMAIN VALID, THE INFORMATION NEEDS TO BE UPDATED.

THE NEW BIBLE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION 

AND THIS ENTIRE POST AND THREAD ARE BEING REPLACED SHORTLY

=============================================

NV INSPECTOR SETTINGS: SUPPORT FOR DRIVER 257.15 AND ABOVE

NHANCER IS NO LONGER USED

http://www.simforums.com/forums/fsx-and-nhancer-settings-for-new-drivers-updated_topic36586.html

There is a change/edit log at the bottom of this thread which will show the date and subject of change. Please refer to it when you may revist this list to be sure you have the most up to date infomation.

This thread includes more than FSX installing/tuning information. You will find information about hardware choices and installing/servicing the OS as well.

What I have posted in FSX tuning is to get people in the RIGHT ballpark so they can tune their system in with a good methodology in starting off. There can be differences and there can be some variations but for the most part what I posted should get most systems tuned correctly.

Your Mileage May Vary

SETTING UP FSX and HOW TO TUNE IT 

This information is a complete guide to installing, setting up and tuning FSX. It will cover everything you need to know about how to get the most out of your simulator.

DO NOTE: The results good or bad depend on the type and condition of your hardware, your ability to run a clean, spyware, virus free system, a reasonable amount of boot programs in your OS, and, your ability to maintain good maintenance on your system

And please excuse typos in this.. I put this together very fast LOL

Anyone is welcome to use (without duplication) the information in this thread and supporting links however like anything else you read, you use this information at your own risk.

F1 nor myself is responsible for anything that may go wrong.

FSX INSTALLATION

It is VERY important that you heed this install method. You can not install FSX patches back to back without first booting FSX and its default flight, then close the sim, reboot the computer and install the next patch.

To install FSX from the DVD and not follow this list may result in performace issues, scenery issues and errors

NOTE: If you are not having any problems with FSX you can not seem to lock down and did not follow the correct method of install you do not need to reinstall FSX however DO keep this list in mind should you ever find yourself in a position where you are reinstalling the software and use it.

1. Install form the DVD, fire up the sim and let it complete the install and then boot the default flight.

2. Close the sim

If you have the Deluxe version and want the SDK installed, install it off the DVD now.

3. Reboot the computer

4. Install Acceleration which will install SP2 automatically. Boot the sim and allow it to complete the install and boot the default flight.

5. Close the sim

If you want the Acceleration SDK install it from the disk.

6. Reboot the computer

Make sure you have the latest DirectX UPDATE installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

Make sure you have the C++ library update installed.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB961894/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=2067

You want to download and install:

ENU (vcredist_x86.exe) NOTE: Or the one which is right for your OS language   ENU= ENGLISH

The C++ Library update is needed for some 3rd party support and is installed with Acceleration. The link above is to the LATEST update which did not ship with Accel

I suggest you install the update regardless of what version of FSX you run to be sure you are covered as you may add items to your sim over time.

It will NOT change performance

You can activate FSX at anytime

8. Start the sim, set up the sliders/checkboxes as you had them. Close the sim

9. Install your addons one at a time, reboot in between and make sure you have the updates for them.

DO NOT MIGRATE or use a old FSX.cfg file!

Use it to copy/paste edits but do not overwrite the new file.

Acceleration takes care of both SP1 and SP2 in one shot

If installing for a 'non' Acceleration with SP2 its the same process except:

After you complete STEP 1, 2 and 3 above, replace STEP 4 with: 

Install SP1, boot the sim default flight, close and reboot the computer

Install SP2, boot the sim default flight, close and reboot the computer

USING MORE/LESS or EQUAL to 2GIGS OF SYSTEM MEMORY IN WINDOWS XP x32 OR VISTA X32 with OOM

-OR-

HOW TO PROPERLY TUNE VIRTUAL ADDRESS SPACE IN WINDOWS (x32) FOR OUT OF MEMORY ERRORS

x64 operating systems do not need the following changes

BE ADVISED OUT OF MEMORY ERRORS CAN ALSO DISPLAY GRAPHIC ERRORS IN FSX ON THE SCREEN WITHOUT ANY SYSTEM ERROR MESSAGE. SEE THIS THREAD FOR DETAILS:

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1233114601

YOU MAY NEED TO TUNE THE AMOUNT SET FOR ADDRESS SPACE AS DESCRIBED BELOW IF THE PROBLEM PERSISTS WITH THE SETTING OF 2560

PLEASE NOTE: This section is for anyone who sees out of memory error while using FSX. It applies to ALL circumstances.

To clear up confusion about this change.. the amount reserved for the cache is NOT and DOES NOT have anything to do with the amount of memory in the system or how much memory you are allowing access to the system!!

This change only tweaks the address space, relieving the OOM error. The 32bit system will use the physical memory installed up to 4GB regardless! 

ONLY FSX SP2 HAS THE ABILITY TO ADDRESS MORE THAN 2GB OF SYSTEM MEMORY. THE DVD AND SP1 VERSIONS CAN ADDRESS MORE THAN 2GB HOWEVER IT REQUIRES MANUAL EDITING OF THE DVD OR SP1 FSX.EXE FILE USING SPECIAL SOFTWARE WHICH WILL ALLOW >2GB SUPPORT.

The method of removing out of memory and other errors on a 32bit Operating system and allow fsx access to memory amounts greater than 2GB is listed here:

For XP:

disable hidden files and folders (including hidden OS files), then on the root C:\ you will find a file named: boot.ini

Open it in notepad and add the following to the end of the OS boot line:

/3GB/Userva=2560

EXAMPLE LINE EDIT:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professsional" /fastdetect /3GB /Userva=2560 <---- add it here

save and close the file

reboot

to set that back to default, simply remove the edit

If you are using XP SP2 and are running a dual, quad, OR a single core Intel HYPERTHREAD processor, make sure this update is applied

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C2AB5A48-8240-4934-BBD8-34FB8A0FCE3B&displaylang=en

XP SP3 users do not need that update

For Vista:
WINDOWS VISTA ONLY:  

1. Open a command prompt with Administration rights. You find the command prompt box under "Programs-Accessories-Command prompt"  

2. Right Click the command prompt and select "run as administrator".  

3. Enter in the box at the prompt: (copy/paste if you wish)

bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560  

and press enter  

4. Reboot  

TO set that back to default in VISTA just start the command line prompt with Admin right again and type:  

bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2048  

Hit enter and reboot  

NOTE: It is possible you may need to TUNE this value if out of memory errors still display, especially with large video memory video cards (640mb and above)

If you sill see OOM errors, do the following:

Depending on your OS follow the directions above about editing the system for the cache value. What you will do is LOWER the value edited to the system originally. The amount should be DROPPED in lots of 64.

EXAMPLE:

Original Edit = 2560

LOWER this to 2496, reboot and retest.

If OOM still appears

LOWER the edit to 2432, reboot and retest.

If OOM still appears

LOWER the edit to 2368, reboot and retest.

If OOM still appears

LOWER the edit to 2304, reboot and retest.

If OOM still appears, one of 2 problems are possible

1. There is a addon in FSX which is not made correctly or has an error in it forcing the OOM.

2. Your system (motherboard) simply does not play well with this edit and possibly more than 2GB in the system.

The solution to #1 is to locate the addon causing the error through a process of elimination. See if you can ID what addon be it aircraft or scenery may be in use with the error appears and eliminate them as possibilites.

The solution to #2 when the memory and the motherboard memory slots are confirmed as correct in use is switch to a 64bit (x64) OS (Vista or XP) which I suggest eveyone use anyway for FSX

ABOUT ADDING MEMORY TO A SYSTEM

FSX will run better on greater than 2gigs of memory in a 32 or 64bit OS and you should select the right memory to do the job based on your system

Do note that some motherboards do not play well with more than 2GB of system memory and a 32bit OS.

As for adding memory.. this is one you MUST be careful with

Typically when you add memory your motherboard will automatically try to DOWNCLOCK the memory and RAISE its timing. This is true of going from one stick to two, two sticks to three, etc

HOWEVER

There is such a thing a DUAL CHANNEL memory operation which kicks in when you installed a MATCH SET of memory sticks. (2 or 4)

When ever you consider a memory upgrade you should try to follow this guideline:

NOTE: This is NOT for the new i7 systems or newer DDR3!

1. NEVER install more than 2 sticks of memory, be them 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 unless you need the system for engineering purposes and are running a 64bit OS (you will lose performace for >4GB)

2. Always check to be sure you are running the highest memory SPEED your system will allow with the clock and processor you are using. This means if you motherboard will support and run higher memory speeds with the processor clocked, or not clocked such as Nvidia, the highest speed with the lowest timing is the best choice.

If you do not wish to overclock the system at all, or, your motherboard will not support faster memory speeds then you do not need memory that exceeds FSB/2 of the processor. In example, if your processor is a 1333 QDR FSB processor then your un-clocked memory speed should be 1333/2 or DDR2-667 which has a dram frequency of 333.5MHz

But do be aware with FSX memory speeds of 266 (DDR2 533) and 333 (DDR2 667) are slow. You should strive for at the very least 400Mhz (DDR2 800) with a timing of 4-4-4, no higher on the DDR2 800 timing. In reality the days of DDR2 are coming to an end so if you intend to build a new system I highly suggest you skip DDR2 and build a Intel i7 940 running 3x2GB of DDR3 1600 and plan on clocking it.

Make sure you understand how your motherboard works and if it supports higher memory speeds, use them. CPU and memory clocking in FSX is practically a prerequisite if you wish to obtain high scenery and visual goals

3. Always purchase the LOWEST timing memory possible for the memory speed you wish to purchase in the amount you wish to purchase

4. Always purchase the memory in SETS and never singles

OVERCLOCKERS: When you purchase memory you should follow the same basic guidelines however you MUST calculate the memory speed you need to purchase based on your clock. That calculation is based on the CPU speed you will run, what FSB it will take to run it, the CPU STRAP setting and finally what the BIOS will allow in memory speed at clocked settings.

In example, if you wish to clock a Q9650 to 3.6-4GHz you want your memory to run as fast as possible. In the case of DDR2 that would be DDR2 1066 (or higher). The same guideline for purchasing memory is followed. The LOWEST timing at the speed you wish to run is how it is selected but you should always purchase 2x1 or 2x2GB product.

With 1st Generation DDR3 (not i7) an example of a good CPU and memory system for FSX would be a Q9650 running a 400MHz FSB (3.6GHz) @ DDR3 1600 (2x2GB) and 7-7-7 timing. That processor can run 4GHz if the user runs FSB at 450 but the memory must then be DDR3 1800 to match the speed in relation to FSB/STRAP. In a overclock one must know how to calculate their memory for clock needs.

If a system is to be used for engineering or other which requires higher memory amounts than 4GB you MUST be using a 64bit (x64) OS. Windows (XP or VISTA) x32 CAN NOT USE more than 4GB.

When purchasing more than 4GB, the same guidelines apply from above however you will need to purchase MORE than 2 sticks. Be aware that WILL MEAN timing and speed will most likely be affected and you do want to purchase 4 matched sticks (4x2GB) not 2x2GB + 2x1GB for dual channel operation.

Some motherboards will allow dual channel operation with mismached memory installed, some will not. Some motherboards will run lower timing and higher speeds with all 4 memory slots populated however many will NOT. You must research your motherboard and memory to decide what is best for your needs when running >2 or >4GB

However., If you are building or upgrading a gaming rig DO NOT RUN more than 4GB for best performance in x32 OR x64! (i7 excluded)

Intel i7 - YOU CAN run more than 4GB without the performance loss and the same applies to the timing/speed as I posted above except you are working with TRI CHANNEL instead of DUAL. With i7 unclocked you want 3x1 or (prefered)3x2 DDR3 1333 memory on the LOWEST timing possible.

When clocking - 3x2GB DDR3 1600 to DDR3 2000

NOTE: WITH i7 YOU MUST PURCHASE MEMORY DESIGNED FOR i7 IN TRI-CHANNEL KITS RATED AT NO MORE THAN 1.65V

FSX is a 32bit application and as such even when run in a 64bit operating system memory amounts greater than 4GB will be of little use to FSX directly, however, when applied with a 64bit OS and i7 FSX SP2 (or RTM/SP1 with edited fsx.exe files) will be allowed access to a full 4GB with other processes and applications running along side having access to more (over and above). Therefore 6GB (3x2GB) i7 systems as addons and aircraft become more complicated will benefit FSX on a 64bit OS. If you switch to i7 you are far better off on 3x2GB than 3x1GB in system memory.

SAMPLES OF MEMORY SPEED/TIMING

Here is a list of MAX memory timing per speed a user should strive for.. lower than posted is better and there are memory product out there that run lower timing than posted.. they are typically expensive and that is what you pay for

DDR2 800 4-4-4

DDR2 1066 5-5-5

DDR3 1333 6-6-6 (1st or 2nd Generation)

DDR3 1600 7-7-7 (1st or 2nd Generation)

DDR3 1800/1866 8-8-8 (1st or 2nd Generation)

DDR3 2000 (and up) 9-9-9 (1st or 2nd Generation)

That being said here are the values a user SHOULD look for in order to obtain highest FSX performance with respect to CPU/Memory communication

DDR2 800 3-3-3

DDR2 1066 4-4-4

DDR3 1333 5-5-5 (1st or 2nd Generation)

DDR3 1600 6-6-6 (1st or 2nd Generation)

DDR3 1800/1866 7-7-7 (1st or 2nd Generation)

Note: 1800/1866 is really useless compared to 1600 with respect to the right memory timing. If a user wishes to run very high memory speed, opt for 2000 with tighter timing especially running i7. 1st generation DDR3 has issues with the northbridge running large amounts of memory (2x2GB or more). i7 D0 stepping processors and the x58 chipset do not have those issues but still typically requires a higher QPI/DRAM (over 1.37v) to accomplish which can be dangerous to the life of a processor.

DDR3 2000 7-7-7 (1st or 2nd Generation) 8-8-8 can be used however 7-7-7 is FAR better.

=======================

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL YOUR CRITICAL WINDOWS UPDATES AS SEVERAL OF THEM DO ADDRESS MEMORY AND PERFORMANCE ISSUES

You are now ready to make your FSX.cfg edits and TUNE FSX

What I have posted in FSX tuning is to get people in the RIGHT ballpark so they can tune their system in with a good methodology in starting off. There can be differences and there can be some variations but for the most part what I posted should get most systems tuned correctly.

Your Mileage May Vary

But do try to follow along without adding in any tweaks off the net. Try this and then after should you find what you had ran better, simply restore your FSX.cfg file

PLEASE BACK UP YOUR CURRENT FSX.CFG SO YOU MAY RESTORE QUICKLY

The FSX.cfg file and how I set up a system

If you do not know where the FSX.cfg file is:

NOTE: You must have HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS disabled in Windows

XP

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR ACCOUNT NAME\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg

VISTA

C:\Users\YOUR ACCOUNT NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG

Right click the FSX.cfg file, select OPEN WITH and in the box that appears select NOTEPAD. You may opt to 'ALWAYS USE THIS PROGRAM TO OPEN THIS FILE TYPE From that point on it will open by double clicking the file.

NOTE: IN VISTA editing the file may require ADMIN RIGHTS. Right click the file and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR or DISABLE UAC in VISTA to get rid of such nags.

As for FSX.cfg edits.. these are the only ones I use:

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=XX I use 70 to 80 depending on the system

NOTE: I have never set up a system that I did not use either 70 or 80 for TBM. This setting is always changed before I tune the system however I may drop or raise it while tuning to find which one works better (70 or 80)

IMPORTANT: This setting IS NOT THE SAME AS FS9! The amount of data being tasked is MASSIVE compared to FS9.

DO NOT SET THIS TO 400! SETTING THIS TO 400 IS A MYTH IN FSX!

Even the best quads and cards should only run between 70 and 90

However I HAVE seen a few older systems use 100 with good results.. I would not run 100 or higher on modern systems which are pushing higher autogen and scenery

If you set that to 400 you will NOT be able to tune the system correctly as I have specified below. 70 to 80 should get you in the ballpark and most will run 70

NOTE: THE ONLY EXCEPTION TO THE 70-80 LIMIT POSTED ABOVE IS WHEN USING PHOTOSCENERY WITHOUT ANY TEXTURES INVOLVED. IT IS POSSIBLE TO OBTAIN A CLEARER RESULT WITH PHOTOSCENERY USING HIGHER TBM VALUES BUT THE SUCCESS IN DOING THAT DEPENDS ON THE INSTALLED HARDWARE AND THE SPEED OF THE STORAGE SYSTEM.

IF YOU DO NOT USE TEXTURES AT ALL AND ONLY USE PHOTOSCENERY THEN A VALUE OF BETWEEN 250 AND 400 MAY PRESENT A CLEARER IMAGE.

IF YOU HAVE SOME PHOTOSCENERY AND STILL FLY TEXTURES FROM TIME TO TIME YOU CAN MAKE A CUSTOM FSX.CFG FILE AND LOAD IT FOR PHOTSCENERY FLYING USING A HIGHER 'TESTED TO WORK' TBM VALUE

REMEBER THAT INCREASING TBM WITH PHOTSCENERY REQUIRES A TRIAL AND ERROR TEST TO FIND THE VALUE THAT WORKS BEST.  THERE IS NO VALUE SET IN STONE FOR THIS

DO NOT INCREASE TBM WITH TEXTURES. THE HARDWARE MATH DOES NOT SUPPORT USING HIGHER THAN 100 TBM AND TEXTURES

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=254672&view=findpost&p=1605085

FOR THOSE WHO USE PHOTOSCENERY WHICH COVERS A LARGE AREA AND ALSO USE THE STANDARD TEXTURE SYSTEM FOR OTHER AREAS TO MAKE THINGS MORE SIMPLISTIC YOU SHOULD CREATE DIFFERENT FSX.CFG FILES (ONE FOR FOR PHOTO SCENERY AND ONE FOR TEXTURE SCENERY) AND LOAD THEM DEPENDING ON THE TYPE OF SCENERY YOU INTEND TO FLY.

YOU CAN NOT USE A HIGH TBM WHERE ONLY SPOTS OF PHOTOSCENERY SHOW WITH TEXTURE/LANCLASS IN THE SAME SCENE. HIGH TBM CAN ONLY BE USED WHERE THE PHOTOSCENERY COVERS THE ENTIRE AREA.

---------------------------------------

WideViewAspect=True Because I use a widescreen monitor.

If you do not use a widescreen monitor that should be set to FALSE

DisablePreload=1 Which disables FSX from loading the default flight when FSX is first launched

Unless you fly the same extact flight over and over every time you boot the sim (DAY-DATE-TIME-WEATHER-HUB all the same), setting this to 1 offloads the memory from preloading that flight when FSX boots.

Bufferpools: Poolsize=xxxxx Which is the bufferpool reserved video memory for scenery geometry around the aircraft. 512 cards really cant make much use of it and should never reserve more than 15MB, 640 cards 35MB and 768 cards 70-80MB. 1GB cards can reserve more.

Many find leaving this edit out of the config is the best way to run. You must experiment with this setting to see if it will or will not help.

640MB and above cards CAN take advantage of Bufferpools however do be careful with this edit.

Bufferpools added to the fsx.cfg file can cause scenery 'spikes' even if the card has enough video memory. This edit to the configuration file works for some and does not work for others. If you see strange graphics errors that do not clear up by visually panning around the outside of the aircraft then you should REMOVE the bufferpool entry from your config file.

Do note that with SP2 for FSX running high sliders depending on the drivers may bring on visual graphic 'spikes' from autogen when a flight is first loaded. If visually panning around the aircraft does not clear them, the bufferpool entry should be reduced or removed completely.

NEW:

SOUND CRACKING AND DISTORTION – SMOOTHER FLIGHT

Based on research done by Sargeski on sound crackle issues and latency, he discovered raising bufferpools on a 1GB single core Nvidia card will eliminate such sound problems. They are related to high autogen slider and latency on buss.

To resolve the issue the user MUST have a 1GB SINGLE CORE Nvidia card such as the GTX 280 or GTX 285:

[Bufferpools]
poolsize=490000000    <--- that will be somewhere between 450 and 490MB

NOTE:

A side effect to this discover is that larger VM cards which DO NOT display the sound crackle issue may RAISE bufferpools for a smoother flight result. For larger VM memory cards (1GB) this value can be anywhere from 100000000 (100MB) to 400000000 (400MB)

It is a ‘trial and error” setting. Most find 200000000 (200MB) works very well.

NOTE:

THE HIGH BUFFERPOOL SETTINGS MENTIONED ABOVE ARE NOT TYPICAL. IN MANY CASES SUCH HIGH SETTINGS (ABOVE 100MB EVEN WITH LARGE VM CARDS) CAN CAUSE VISUAL GRAPHIC ERRORS IN FSX.

NOT EVERYONE WILL SEE SUCCESS WITH TRYING BUFFERPOOLS ABOVE 100MB

YMMV!

---------------------------------

For visuals I also use the 4 RUNWAY_LIGHTS_ edits we know from FS9 to make airport light more realistic in scale with my resolution and monitor

other than that the FSX.cfg file never gets touched

Here are how the edits are used in the FSX.cfg file as you scroll down the file:

NOTE: SOME YOU EDIT THE VALUE AND SOME YOU ADD THE ENTIRE LINE AS SHOWN BELOW UNDER EACH HEADING

[Main]
DisablePreload=1

[Display]

WideViewAspect=True   //If widescreen monitor in use otherwise False

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=xx  //Most will use 70 to 80

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2 //adjust values to suit your scale
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0

[BUFFERPOOLS]
Poolsize=XXXXXXXX   // 10000000 - 15000000 for 512MB cards, 35000000 for 640MB cards, 70000000 for 768MB cards and between 100000000 and 490000000 (100 to 490MB) for larger VM memory SINGLE CORE video cards.

NOTE: Please remember! BUFFERPOOLS only helps with smoothness in banks/turns when flying low over urban autogen and flying low in bush over large amounts of autogen trees.

I highly suggest on a 512MB card you LEAVE BUFFERPOOLS out of the config file and after everything else is tuned, then try adding it in. For higher memory cards you can use the scale I posted however DO be aware this setting can be LOWER than the MAX values I posted. In some cases adding this to the config file causes stutters however I have yet to find that the case on any 640-1GB video memory card.

And do remember... Your Mileage May Vary with Bufferpools! Some cards simply do not like the edit in the config file no matter how much video memory they have and I have seen this vary from driver to driver as well.

AFFINITY MASK:

This is ONLY for quad core processors. I have never seen a dual core make use of this tweak

i7.. Do not bother setting more than a 4 core affinity mask

Please reserve using this tweak until you have completed all other tuning. Once you have your sim running the best you can, then you may try this. It tends to not work well with Intel i7 and DO NOTE, Hyperthread is USELESS to FSX and therefore trying to set a high affinity mask for 8 cores is USELESS. 4 of the 8 i7 cores are virtual and FSX will not use them, at all, regardless of what you see on the CPU monitor.

In the FSX.cfg add the following if it is not already there

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=n

use these settings for N as you test and you must EXIT the sim and relaunch between changes

n=14

n=7

Here is how it works.. the setting converts 1s and 0s representing you processor cores. 4 cores active are 'binary' 1111, two cores 11

With a setting of 14 that means we convert 14 to binary or 1110

The LAST value is the FIRST core.. its backwards!

Therefore a setting of 7 or binary 0111 means the LAST core is disabled to FSX and with 14 1110 the FIRST core is disabled to FSX

I have never needed this tweak in any system I have tuned however with all the different hardware out there the tweak does have merit and it is a 'try and see' tweak for smoothness. However please DO reserve this test for last after all other tuning is complete.

FIBER FRAME TIME FRACTION - With ANY multicore processor AFTER SP1   USELESS WITH TEXTURES However this can be used with systems that run TILE PROXY

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=27540&PID=170479#170479

Save and close the FSX.cfg file

Set up you Nvidia video adapter using the tool Nv Inspector using this post as a guide:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/fsx-and-nhancer-settings-for-new-drivers-updated_topic36586.html

ATI Video Cards in FSX

AMD/ATi also announced directly they will not develop nor will they make any effort to accommodate the older rendering engine MSFS uses

If you use ATi with FSX you will end up being forced to install hacked shader files in order to come close to Nvidia performance which means you will effectively be forced to deal with nonsense issues to correctly all sorts of glitches that come with that hack

Nvidia is the card to purchase for MSFS... always has been, always will be

======================================  

FSX TUNING

The Primary Performance Killers in FSX and How to work them for your system

1. SET UP FSX EXACTLY AS I POSTED BY THE IMAGES BELOW

2. USING THE INFORMATION ABOVE, and, BELOW THE IMAGES TUNE YOUR SYSTEM BASED ON THE SUGGESTIONS FOR LOW-MED-HI PERF COMPUTER

3. BE AWARE THAT THE SUGGESTED SETTINGS AND YOUR SYSTEM MAY STILL NEED A BIT OF TWEAKING. FSX TUNING IS ALL ABOUT RESOURCES AND EVERY SYSTEM (EVEN THOSE WHICH HAVE AN EXACT MATCH FOR HARDWARE) WILL DISPLAY DIFFERENT RESULTS 

4. THERE IS A FLIGHT I USE FOR TUNING THE SIM.. IT IS LISTED BELOW THE NEXT SECTION UNDER: FLIGHT CHECK DURING TUNING

These are listed in the order of performance loss from the highest performance loss to the lowest depending on how high your sliders are set and which checkboxes are enabled

Window mode is problematical in FSX. I always run full screen however tuning should be done full screen first to make sure you have properly set up the application... after that if Window Mode presents issues you will know what the problem is

Window mode WILL NOT ALLOW Vsync to work in FSX which means you can get tears and jitters in Window mode you wont get in full screen

DX9 and BLOOM/ shader passes #1

We all know that bloom is a 800lb gorilla for DX9. That is just the way it is however all the shader passes involved add up.

Water has 4 primary shader passes involved. Keeping water at 2XLow is the best way to gain looks and perf. Boosting that to 3/4 in bush flying is possible on better system however forget bloom and high water in just about any other situation. Those on older systems (very old without the reflection/shader support) should keep water at 1xHigh and there are replacement water maps for 1x I posted here:

http://www.fswaterconfigurator.com/downloads.htm

Nick's edited ENV Water Reflection maps

They will not change the color just help get rid of the digital look. They are ONLY for 1x water.

Ground Scenery Shadows (Checkbox on the SCENERY TAB) should be disabled on everyone’s system

Aircraft shadows are discussed further down and equate to another shader pass

DX10 will allow much greater use of these features without the cost in performance however we all know DX10 has its own issues and primary are the lack of AA control. In DX10 Nhancer will not help and AA must be set VIA the FSX graphics tab along with filtering.

I personally do not run DX10, only DX9 in Windows XP x64

GLOBAL TEXTURE RESOLUTION in the FSX GRAPHICS settings is ALWAYS 100% ...   no exceptions!

Advanced Animations is required for many animated functions.. very slow hardware may DISABLE this however you may not like the visual result

Set your MONITOR RESOLUTION up correctly. This should be the same as the Windows Desktop. Forcing higher will result in perf loss. You should always run the NATIVE resolution of your monitor in Windows and in FSX

Clarification/Example: If your monitor is designed for 1920x1200x32 from the factory and you are 'down-sizing' it in Windows for your visual needs, thats fine and it will work, my point was to say that you should not force the monitor to run higher than the factory designed it to run by default in FSX. Forcing higher than the native resolution can be done but it may come with a performance cost.

Unless running DX10 leave AA UNCHECKED and Set Filtering to Trilinear. (DX10 requires AA be checked in FSX) These settings are made so NHANCER (Nvidia cards only) can take control and deliver a better image on the screen.

NOTE TO SLI USERS: THAT SLI DOES VERY LITTLE WITH RESPECT TO RAISING FSX FRAME RATE PERFORMANCE. IT DOES ALLOWS 16-32AA ON HIGHER THAN 2xxxx RESOLUTIONS AND IN THOSE RESOLUTIONS ASSISTS TO MAINTAIN A GREATER FRAME RATE THAN A SINGLE CARD. OTHERWISE DISABLE SLI BEFORE USING FSX

NOTE: Nvidia has released SLI drivers which may help you muilti-monitor SLi users... the 181.xx drivers introduced that support

SLi is primarily in the driver and not the application however the application itself can drive success with its use. FSX is not very SLi friendly in that respect due to how CPU bound the application is designed as Phil Taylor explained in his blog. You may find with newer drivers that SLi could provide a 'small' FPS increase however if you are building a system specifically for FSX and will not be running massive resolutions then purchasing two very expensive video cards in the hopes of seeing 10+ more FPS in FSX, that WONT happen. For systems that will be dedicated to FSX in which the user does not need massive resolution support, my advice is to run a SINGLE video adapter in FSX and save your money.

Dual core video cards are going to provide little or no benefit to FSX.

FRAME LOCK:

The suggestions about frame lock have nothing to do with what the human eye can or can not see they are about how you push your hardware to place priority on keeping things smooth while the PCIe buss is saturated by FSX especially with autogen. The scene and your sliders will make that call. In the same flight on the same settings you can go from a partially saturated PCIe buss to a completely saturated buss as the scenery changes and you fly from one place to another. In that the frame lock may need to be changed IN MID-FLIGHT

In most systems I have usually found 2 frame options that work best (switched to as needed in-flight) especially with LCD monitors

Locked 30 - outside of large airports and cities (Note: may need to be trimmed to between 24 and 30 depending on the system)

Unlimited - usually best around airports and large cities but may ALSO be of benefit in heavy weather in areas with a large amount of autogen trees

that is a 'try and see' setting and success with it depends on the system

In FSX there were changes to the rendering engine and unlike FS9 a lower frame rate can be used and still maintain a smooth visual result. FSX and FS9 are different in that respect.

In FS9 many claimed you had to see at least 35-45FPS for smooth flight and the reason for that was simple they were robbing Peter to pay Paul and were losing elsewhere for that high frame lock. Its the same with FSX but unlike FS9, with FSX UNLIMITED frame lock sometimes works to smooth out the image when the buss is saturated in large urban areas depending on the system

You can be running 35-45FPS and stutter or 24-30 and run smooth and with FSX and the changes to the rendering engine even UNLIMIED FPS can present a smooth solution when certain criteria are being rendered to a scene.

Driver Setting, Vertical Sync in FSX:

MYTH: Turning Vsync OFF will increase frame rates

FALSE

Turning Vsync off creates image tears and microstutters in FSX and DOES NOT increase performance.

If you are correctly set up in your drivers with Vsync enabled your frame rate will never go over the refresh rate of the monitor. With LCD that refresh rate is typically 60 (meaning 60FPS is the highest FSX will run) and that is the correct way to run FSX, with Vsync always ENABLED. Vsync locks the image and keeps it from jittering and tearing in FSX.

The only time Vsync OFF may present an advantage is with SLi. Because of how Sli works running with Vsync disabled may help as Phil Taylor pointed out quite clearly in SLi FSX is throttling you with Vsync enabled and frames locked.

Also, I dont care if the frame counter says 145FPS.. with a 60Hz LCD monitor you are only 'visually' seeing 60FPS with Vsync disabled... The frame counter number is not what is being shown on the screen above the refresh rate of your LCD

SHUT DOWN TOOTIPS: KNOWN BUG When switching from VC to 2D this fixes the 'hang' and white 'flash' that can occur

Aircraft Shadows are another shader pass. Aircraft casting shadows on itself are very hard on the system. Casting shadows on the ground produces much less of an impact and a good trade for those setting. Those on slower systems should disable all aircaft shadow features

WEATHER (clouds) #2

There is no such thing as a FREE LUNCH and this is especially true of weather in FSX.

Clouds in FSX are much more complicated than they were in FS9 but they did make some changes in that area in which cloud rendering is much better optimzed than it was in FS9.

Cloud cover and weather is a primary performace killer. Increasing anything in this area is going to result in a loss.

Addons that install 2048 and 4096 cloud textures come with a perf price. How much depends on your installed hardware, possibly drivers in some cases, level of AA in use (I refuse to use less than Combined 8xS to control shimmer) and, how low you are willing to reduce other settings, and, where you typically fly.

If you are running 2048-4096 cloud textures you are going to pay the price of running them and large hubs in heavy weather on high scenery settings will definitely prove what I said about them is true.

They are beautiful in many scenes and impressive but like most perks in life, they do cost. Be aware of that when tuning. I use 1024 textures when tuning but you may do as you like.

If you wish to run hi res clouds (2048-4096) all the time I suggest you tune your system with them installed to be sure your tuning includes higher resolution texture use around your favorite hubs in weather conditions.

While tuning the system please make sure the edit:

[GRAPHICS]
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=xxxx (xxxx= 1024 - 2048 - 4096 depending on the resolution of cloud texture you use)

That edit will change BACK to 1024 while you are testing and making changes in sliders which sometimes makes it difficult to tune a system and maintain the correct resolution in real time

It is my undestanding FEX will automatically re-edit that line when the FEX Interface is booted and run... Since we do not usually launch FSX from our addons I would verify it in the config file before restarting a test flight the correct resolution for TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD= is in place since you may be making changes in-flight that could alter the setting.

WEATHER TAB -

Leave the distance slider at 0 or 60 Miles

THERMAL EFFECTS can hit slower systems HARD. I run NATURAL however this can be set to OFF

The best perf change you can make on that tab is the CLOUD COVERAGE DENSITY. Setting it down to HIGH can deliver a nice boost in weather and not remove the visual impact however better systems can run 100%

Another trick: you can reduce this setting in the FSX.cfg file

[Weather]

CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=x

X= 1 or 2 (40-50mi) instead of 3 (60mi)

1 = 40mi

2 = 50mi

3 = 60mi <----------------- ZERO SLIDER

4 = 70mi

5 = 80mi

6 = 90mi

7 = 100mi

8 = 110mi <----------------100% SLIDER

DO BE AWARE that any change made in the FSX SETTINGS in ANY area will revert this back to 3 (60mi) or ZERO slider and the setting must be made again manually

I DONT USE THAT TWEAK.. its only for VERY OLD SYSTEMS

POPPING or ANNOYING CLOUDS APPEARING IN/OUT OF THE SCENE AS YOU FLY

HOW TO FIX:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24830

AUTOGEN #3:

FSX is strange when it comes to autogen simply because they have changed how it works 3 time now, from RTM to SP2

I can relay this advice:

One of the biggest mistakes people make is the thought that lower sliders = better perfomance. FSX is NOT a game, its a simulator and requires thinking a bit outside the box to tickle the hardware by the software settings and get it to run sweet

1. DO NOT use the autogen restriction lines in the configuration file for buildings and trees if you are using SP1/SP2. In most cases those lines will throw off the priority system and make the sim run/stutter worse.

2. Believe it or not, ZERO autogen slider can make frames drop, how? Same reason as above. Try to maintain at least 50+% (DENSE) however very slow systems may need to limit that to NORMAL/SPARCE or even OFF (off = rare must be very slow hardware)

Keeping the autogen slider at DENSE or greater actually tends to raise frames. Going too high for the installed hardware and Scenery Complexity/weather is where perf starts to really drop

Many can run a 3/4 (very Dense) Scenery Complexity with a 3/4 (very dense) autogen silder however your mileage may vary.

The important part about this slider is if your hardware is not very slow, keep it at a minimum of DENSE

This slider can also be changed mid-flight as well. There are times when you may fly out of a scenery friendly hub, into a very large urban area hub which may require this slider to be dropped a notch

Good systems can run 3/4 to 100% depending on the scenery involved and GEX USCAN can go a long way in helping with that performance. Autogen was laid out in a optimal way to reduce CPU overhead.

TRAFFIC #4:

Default AI hits a system hard. Replacing the AI with friendly models that do not use the gate 'jetway' calls and are much easier on the system can go a long way in perf

I do not use replacement AI simply because I must develop GEX for everyone and not just myself

The Scenery Complexity slider is tied DIRECTLY to traffic, how? If the SCENERY COMPLEXITY slider is set to 3/4 or higher the sim will automatically scan a radius around the aircraft for all gates at every airport around you and not only calculate the jetways but update that information constantly. The gate/jetway calculations are based on the EXIT section of the aircraft configuration files.

If the EXITS for AI aircraft are not in their configuration files the sim will skip those calculations and therefore replacement AI such as WOAI will not hit a system like the default. Yes, the models are also less complex but a primary perf issue with default AI is not only the models, its the calculations going on behind the scenes in FSX to make it 'as real as it gets' with higer scenery complexity.

With default AI and very slow systems... 15-20, typical systems 25-35 and better systems 40-59 (MAX)

NOTE: If you do replace AI with another package make sure the DEFAULT AI is disabled correctly. Most professional packages do this automatically however freeware may not and if you do not disable the default AI you are simply compounding the problem.

LEAVE aircraft labels OFF. Unless you absolutely must have them on, that is another source of 'strange' stutters and perf changes that varies with the scene. Its best to disable those labels

AIRPORT VEHICLES #5:

These little buggers when you add in the AI and the complexity around a hub will also nail a system. The primary problem is if you wish to have 'services' such as fuel and baggage you must be set to MEDIUM which will add another hit to perf. These items can also be a reason why when you enter a final for a hub the perf may start to drop, be aware of that. LOW is a give and take setting however you can not use any services at that setting

The slower the system, the LOWER that slider should be set with MEDIUM being the MAX on most high end hardware right now.

CARS BOATS AND SHIPS #6:

Cars are the primary perf killer. Ships and boats do present more for the system to deal with but most can run ships and boats between 15-25% without any problems. Cars on the other hand will create micro stutters in some areas depending on the hardware and addons like UTX must be used with caution due to how they can change car traffic behavior with their updates. Their UTX USA 1.2 update added cars to all side roads and in order to make that work they had to deal with a bug in FSX which removed the ability of FSX to take the footprint of cars off the system with the slider set to ZERO, therefore with UTX USA/CAN you must DISABLE ALL moving traffic in the UTX configuration tool to check or eliminate the source of micro stutters related to car traffic. If you find your sim smooth with it DISABLED in UTX then you need to evaluate CAR traffic use with your hardware.

Typically I suggest a MAX of 2-5 for slower systems (or OFF/ZERO), 5-8 for medium systems and 8-12 for very high end systems. This is a TEST AND SEE setting. I would not run it any higher than 12 until next gen clocked hardware is in your tower

PLEASE SEE THE UTX SECTION AT THE VERY END OF THIS LIST FOR SPECIFIC UTX SETTINGS I USE FOR BEST PERFORMANCE

WATER SLIDER:

As I mentioned above keeping water at 2XLow is the best way to gain looks and perf. Boosting that to 3/4 in bush flying is possible on better system however forget bloom and high water in just about any other situation. Those on older systems (very old without the reflection/shader support) should keep water at 1xHigh

SCENERY COMPLEXITY #7:

Scenery Complexity is actually a cross between large city and airport scenery and AI traffic. Lowering this below 50% tends to display erratic perf behavior and at ¾ and above it affects default AI or any AI traffic that uses the jetways and EXIT data. Most should be able to run ½ to ¾ with exceptions for those who are running clocked hardware in the 3.6-4GHz range and/or clocked i7’s who can stretch that to 100% depending on the scene and hub.

IF you run replacement AI traffic most on modern Core2 and quads should be able to run 3/4 to 100% but this may need to be tweaked in flight a bit.

Do not set this slider to less than 50%.. most can run at least 50% with autogen at 50% as well.

SCENERY RADIUS #8:

This one is a combination of just about all of the above however unless you are on a VERY slow system and refuse to drop a slider mentioned above to compensate, leave it at 100%!

SOME systems MAY benefit by editing the FSX.cfg file to 5.5000000 instead of 4.5000000. You must experiment to see if this may or may not work for you. In some cases increasing this in the config file may help with distance scenery however I would use it in combination with the TEXTURE BANDWITH MULTIPLER being 70 or 80 (MAX)

NOTE that if you enter the FSX settings this will REVERT to 4.5000000 automatically and must be manually re-edited into the FSX.cfg file.

And do remember.. there is NO SUCH THING as a free lunch. To increase this radius manually in the config will increase the terrain and autogen load on a system

I do not run extended past 100% slider

MESH COMPLEXITY #9:

To be quite honest.. unless you are really running slow hardware, leave it at 100%. 85 would be the lowest I would set it and even with very slow systems, 70 is rock bottom. I have rarely set this to less than 100 on any system I have tuned in the last 2 years

Texture/Mesh Resolution:

MYTH:

The texture and mesh resolution sliders above 36m/1m will hit perf

FALSE unless you are on hardware even FS9 would have trouble with in performance

You can run 7cm texture and 10m mesh resolution unless you are on hardware better suited for FS9

You will NEVER see a performace hit at 10m mesh resolution if the installed mesh is the default 38m, why? Because if the mesh resolution does not exist.. there are NO calculation taking place.

So why change it without 10m mesh? Because the rendering engine changes priority with the Texture Resolution slider at 7cm and automatically sets the Mesh Resolution at 10m.  

Visually, 7cm makes vector road surfaces clearer along with taxiways and a few other surfaces in FSX since they DO have a basis in that resolution.

The minimums on this for all systems are 76m and 38m Mesh Res and 1m Texture Res based on the FSX installed meshs (note: Acceleration mesh for Mt. St. Helens is 3m) and majority of the textures and you can run any resolution you like however I have always found the settings 10M / 7cm to help with clarity in the high LOD radius when flying over textures @ airspeed.  

Your Milage May Vary - !

FSGenesis USA mesh is 10m.. other products can vary

Mine is set to 10m/7cm and remains there for any area/scene

SPECIAL EFFECTS

This is a by choice setting. I would always run 100% but even the slowest system should not have any problem with 50%

I hope this helps explain perf and settings in FSX. You can use it to evaluate your system and tune FSX for best looks and performance.

FLIGHT CHECK DURING TUNING

I use KSEA (SEATTLE) s the benchmark flight when I use the list above to tune a system, and, I DO NOT use any payware aircraft to tune... I use either the default Cessna, Baron or the default 747 for initial setup.

I fly strait out runway 34 past Seattle, maintain 340 and 3000ft all the way down to the water past the next airport, then turn around to the east and land back as KSEA , RNY 16

3 areas I work the sliders and in that are I DO run UNLIMITED frame lock (your mileage may vary)

a. On the runway at KSEA

b. Just before the city of Seattle over the highways (just before the port around Boeing Field)

c. Aprox 5 more miles north just past Lake Washington where massive scenery boundary files load up

I REPEAT the above flight with 2 weather settings;

1. Fair Weather

2. Building Storms

I use those 2 'constant' weather themes to establish the sim settings with the 3 aircraft I mentioned and I do reboot the system between test flights

Once I have that smooth and a clear as I can get it.. I then try payware aircraft and remember you may still need to trim a bit on scenery complexity or autogen if your hardware is not clocked with payware products due to how complex they can be.

FRAME RATES DURING TUNING:

If you are going to sit there and stare at the frame counter using it to judge performance.. you will be beating your head against the desk forever. Yes, you can use that number when the frame lock is set to UNLIMITED ONLY to get a feel for performance after making a change ASSUMING Unlimited frame lock does not cause microstutters in the area you are flying/testing but DO NOT use the number as a primary target goal LOCKED or UNLOCKED!

In FSX its about SMOOTH flight with CLEAR terrain. If you are seeing that on the screen it does not matter WHAT the frame rate number displays!

You can be set to UNLIMITED and have perfect results and the frame counter showing 18-24.. forget the counter, TUNE BY SMOOTH FLIGHT AND SHARP/CLEAR SCENERY

If you are correctly set up in your drivers with Vsync enabled your frame rate will never go over the refresh rate of the monitor. With LCD that refresh rate is typically 60 (meaning 60FPS is the highest FSX will run) and that is the correct way to run FSX, with Vsync always ENABLED.

When I test for tuning I try both locked and UNLIMITED. With the Seattle flight I listed above I always use 'unlimited'

Locked 30 - outside of large airports and cities (Note: may need to be trimmed to between 24 and 30 depending on the system)

Unlimited - usually best around airports and large cities but may ALSO be of benefit in heavy weather in areas with a large amount of autogen trees

that is a 'try and see' setting and success with it depends on the system

SYSTEM OS/DRIVER INSTALL and TUNING

ONE OF THE BIGGEST MISTAKES users make is SLAMMING a system together software/driver wise and NOT respecting REBOOTS and INSTALL ORDER. The list below outlines a good methodology when installing a OS, updates and drivers

Driver installs after Windows is installed...

On Windows first boot to the desktop, wait 5 minutes and reboot.. then off the Motherboard CD

NOTE: Sometimes it is best to confirm you have the LATEST DRIVERS for your system BEFORE staring this process. If your motherboard has been on the market for a while the CD may NOT have the latest drivers/BIOS for your system. Be sure to check before continuing and obtain the latest drivers which are usually found at the motherboard website.

CHIPSET DRIVERS ONLY: There can be updates for chipsets at Intel and AMD. I would suggest users install the chipest drivers that come with the motherboard CD or the latest ones posted at the motherboard website first, then upgrade from Intel or AMD if a update is available. This procedure ensures all components are correctly configured PRIOR to updating

1. Motherboard Intel Chipset driver, reboot

2. Sound Drivers, reboot

NOTE: With XP users should wait to install sound drivers AFTER the system has been FULLY updated from Windows Update. Windows XP has a surround sound upgrade that MUST BE INSTALLED BEFORE the sound driver goes in.

3. NIC drivers, reboot

4. SATA drivers, reboot

5. Any other hardware you have which needs drivers installed, reboot between hardware driver installs

6. Video driver.. Install, reboot.. wait 2 minutes and REBOOT AGAIN before continuing

7. The lateat DirectX Update http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

8. Install the latest C++ Library update http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB961894/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=2067

You want to download and install:

ENU (vcredist_x86.exe)

ENU = ENGLISH..   you must select your version for the language of the OS

9. Go to Windows Update and make sure to install any and all Windows Critical Updates. You will need to repeat that process over and over rebooting as the system requests between installs of updates. There may be some non critical updates WU requests. You will need to decide what you need and do not need from the list presented

NOTE: WHEN A SERVICE PACK INSTALLS IT IS BEST TO REBOOT TWICE AFTER SUCH A LARGE UPDATE. BE SURE TO GIVE THE SYSTEM A FEW MINUTES AFTER THE FIRST REBOOT FROM A SP UPDATE TO FINISH ITS UPGRADE PROCESS.

10. Install all your software (correctly: See the FSX tuning thread for FSX install) and verify it is working

11. Optimize the OS by removing the unneeded program startups and setting the OS up for performance, then flush all the temp files and maintenance the system with defrag of all drives

This covers the process with links to Vista elements

http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208959973

12. Tune FSX via this FSX tuning thread

REBOOT, REBOOT, REBOOT AND GIVE WINDOWS TIME TO CONFIGURE ITSELF AFTER A REBOOT BEFORE STARTING THE NEXT DRIVER OR UPDATE PATCH INSTALL. A GOOD MINUTE OR SO SHOULD DO THE JOB.

THE #1 USER ERROR IN INSTALLING A NEW SYSTEM IS BEING IMPATIENT AND NOT RESPECTING THE REBOOT OR THE TAKING THE TIME TO ALLOW UPDATES TO COMPLETE BEFORE STARTING THE NEXT INSTALL.

THAT CAN LEAD PROBLEMS WHICH CAN SURFACE IN THE FORM OF EVERYTHING FROM POOR PERFORMANCE TO APPLICATION CRASHES.

Slow Down

The slower you go in the beginning.. the faster/smoother you will end up running in the end

Expect a solid DAY of installing, updating and maintenance to get a system up to speed correctly. Do it right the first time!  Smile

==================================

System Tuning and making sure your Windows environment is performance oriented is another story

There are more myths and nonsense in forums and on the internet about how to properly tweak Windows and hardware than there was in the financial markets in the last 8 years. One of the biggest problems I have seen since FS2004 is going through someones system after they visited BLACK VIPER. I cant even count the number of people I have watched in awe after fixing the mess they made screwing with the wrong services and arguing about how they KNOW better to make a system run clean.

A simple methodology to OS tuning and system prep for performance can be found here:

http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208959973

READ THE WARNINGS: THOSE ON OLDER DELLS OR SYSTEMS WHICH UPGRADED TO WINDOWS XP SP2 VIA THE SP2 WEB PATCH SHOULD NOT PERFORM THOSE TWEAKS. ONLY SYSTEMS THAT INSTALLED WINDOWS XP SP2 CLEAN FROM A WINDOWS XP SP2 DISK ARE SAFE TO USE THAT LIST.

THE ISSUE IS NOTED IN THE LINK TO MICROSOFT

Those on the mentioned systems only have once choice and that is to SLIPSTREAM SP2 (or SP3) and make a WindowsXP SP2/3 install disk, then wipe the system clean and reinstall Windows from that new disk. From that point on you are no longer affected by the Microsoft issue.

If you decide to try the list I posted please do NOT substitute any DEFRAG program for O&O. Ultimate Defrag can make FSX run worse if you do not know how to use it properly. O&O is strait forward if you follow the directions

BOTH O&O DEFRAG VERSIONS 8.6 AND 11 ARE FINE TO USE. DO NOT USE VERSION 10 AND IF YOU DO PLEASE READ THE WARNINGS ABOUT USING THE SPACE DEFRAG MORE THAT ONCE.

PLEASE NOTE: CLEANING OUT YOUR STARTUP SYSTEM IS SOMETHING I CAN NOT LIST HERE BECAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY DIFFERENT SYSTEMS OUT THERE IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO POST A 'SAFE-LIST'

THIS IS AN AREA THAT IS VERY CRITICAL TO SYSTEM PERFORMANCE AND ONE YOU SHOULD RESEARCH AND DISCOVER WHAT YOU NEED TO BOOT YOUR COMPUTER WITH HARDWARE/SECURITY SUPPORT AND WHAT YOU DO NOT NEED

Go through your start registry (START - RUN - Type: MSCONFIG - STARTUP TAB) and make sure nothing is booting not needed... like Real player, MS messenger, Adobe Reader, etc.. those do not need to start with Windows and can be launched from a shortcut on the desktop if desired.

Many software packages install unneeded startup keys. Adobe Acrobat is one, useless startup that does not need to be there.. and many software packages have "automatic monthly updating' features that are also not necessary and clog up the works. You should always enter the settings for newly installed software and check to see if it has 'auto update' and 'start with windows' enabled.. if so, kill those features.

A note about texture and autogen 'hacks'

Using texture reduction and autogen 'hacks' with decent hardware one of the worse things you can do to FSX. There are reasons for that and they are tied back to what the engine expects and does not see. Those 'hacks' may help hardware that would be mediocre or slow in FS9 but I would not use them otherwise.

ABOUT STORAGE PERFORMANCE

Read this post about how to gain the most out of the drive(s) you have in your system regardless of a professional SATA card or motherboard SATA ports in use:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=30507&PID=174413#174413

You do not need the best solution for good FSX perf however you do need to look at the list below and take heed of the precautions when setting up a system for FSX perf.

The storage system presents one of the greatest perf reductions to FSX simply because of the latency and CPU time they consume

About RAID0 in FSX

MOTHERBOARD BASED SATA RAID0 CAN KILL FSX PERF and CREATE SCENERY LOAD STUTTERS in FSX

Due too the file size increases from FS9 to FSX the use of motherboard based software solutions actually REDUCE the number of CPU cycles available to FSX and increases latency in calling file chunks from such arrays.

When you set up a RAID array you set up the STRIPE or BLOCK during the array creation process. That STRIPE or BLOCK size will set the performance of the array based on the average file size of the application to be used. With FS9 the average file size was small and therefore a 64 to 128K STRIPE or BLOCK was fine however with FSX the average file size is 4-5 times that of FS9 and therefore the typical motherboard RAID BLOCK size is FAR too small for the application. A minimum of 256K is required for FSX or the files will be broken into so many small chunks what you are effectively doing is increasing the number of access EACH drive must make to recall a single file, effectively removing and even LOWERING the performance of the storage system... add to that, each time a chuck in called the CPU is polled... double whammy

Drop the motherboard RAID and place FSX on its own drive which has a good chunk of free space left after all addons are installed.

The ONLY RAID that will enhance FSX is HARDWARD RAID on the RIGHT professional PCIe solution which allows a 256K BLOCK OR STRIPE with the RIGHT controller card settings to eliminate features such as NCQ

The best hard drive solution on the market for FSX is the Western Digial VelociRaptor. Its design allows users to enjoy stoage performance only available in the past on professional hardware SATA cards. Here is some information about those drives and how to judge what is right for your budget and your needs.

2 Velociraptors in RAID0 (256K STRIPE) on the right card are very close to SCSI performance HOWEVER UNLESSYOU ARE USING IT FOR A LARGE PHOTSCENERY DATABASE IT IS NOT NEEDED AS A SINGLE VRAP WILL PROVIDE ALL THE PERFORMANCE YOU NEED WITH A TYPICAL FSX INSTALL

2 Velociraptors in RAID0 (or SCSI/SAS) on the right card are overkill for todays processors and memory subsystems in conjunction with the video adapter in FSX and will deliver very large amounts of data faster than the system can process/render it

The best (top of the line) solution(s) for FSX with a Professional SATAII PCIe 256-512MB card based on highest to lowest perf are:

a. 2 VelociRaptors on RAID0

b. A single VelociRapor

c. 2 32MB Cache SATAII HDD in RAID0

d. A single 1st Generation 150GB Raptor

e. A single 32MB cache SATAII

All of which will do the job but the VelociRapor RAID0 configuration on the right card with those drives will do the job and then some.. very overkill

The OS drive should be on another single drive connected to the same card.. does not have to be RAID0 and does not have to be a VRap but should be a decent spec cache SATAII drive

MOTHERBOARD SOLUTIONS based on highest to lowest perf

a. A single VelociRapor on Motherboard SATAII

b. 2 VelociRapor in RAID0 on Motherboard RAID ... NOTE: Due to the Vrap design the single and RAID version of motherboard based storage is about equal

c. A single 1st Generation Raptor on Motherboard SATAII

d. A single 32MB cache large platter hard drive on SATAII

NOTE: If the 32MB cache drive has a very large platter the performance can be equal to and greater than the 1st gen Raptor if the Raptor has less than 30% free space after all addons are installed to it. This drive will not exceed the 2nd generation VelociRaptor in a single or RAID drive motherboard SATA setup

e. 2 1st Generation Raptors in RAID0 on motherboard RAID

f. 2 of any other drive in RAID0 on motherboard RAID

Notice where RAID0 sits on that list for Motherboard SATA RAID controllers and do note 2 VRaps in RAID are not going to do anything for you over a single drive due to the resources consumed by the motherboard software RAID system.

So there is your list to consider when planning for a FSX system

I wish to make something perfectly clear:

What the better card and drive solutions provide is help remove the CPU and latency issues from high scenery file reads and that translates to the screen.

You do not 'absolutely' need to use a SATA PCIe controller card.. a single VelociRaptor will do a very good job on motherboard ports.. the 2nd choice is the 32MB cache large platter drive which will also work but depending on the workload being requested, amount of data on the drive and the condition of the data in terms of defrag that drive can show scenery load issues under certain criteria. They do a good job for the most part and are a good trade off if money is very tight

You do not 'ABSOLUTELY' need the controller card do get good results in FSX but I would suggest the 300GB VelociRaptor on motherboard SATA as it will provide the best support for the least amount spent.

The card will make ANY SATA drive run better in a system and allow CPU 'free' RAID to function. Every CPU cycle freed up goes back to FSX for other things.

If you may be interested in high end storage solutions 3ware makes a great card for under 400 bucks. They have them in 256 or 512MB onboard DDR2 PCIe and you must use the battery backup for the card to ensure safe operation in 'high performance' mode as I assisted someone in this thread set up correctly on the 256MB model card

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=28350

You must have a motherboard with a 2nd PCIe x8 or x16 slot to use those cards

Standard PCI RAID cards are NO BETTER than Motherboard RAID

RULES WHEN SETTING UP STORAGE:

DO NOT PARTITION A DRIVE AND PLACE A OS OR FSX ON A PARTITION OTHER THAN THE FIRST PHYSICAL PARITION OF THE DRIVE

ALWAYS MAKE SURE THERE IS A MINIMUM OF 40-50% FREESPACE ON ANY PERFORMANCE DRIVE OR PARTITION (OS or FSX)

NEVER PARTITION A RAID ARRAY - EVER!

BEST SETUP IS TO PLACE FSX ON ITS OWN DEDICATED DRIVE WITH NO 2ND PARTITION

MYTH: NCQ and advanced BIOS SATA functions such as AHCI increase FSX performance

TRUTH: TRUE for network servers and workstations, UTTERLY FALSE for high performance drives such as the Rap, Vrap and gaming system use.

A Western Digital VelociRaptor is the best investment you can make for a FSX system. Even without an expensive controller card those drives will deliver the goods where others can fall short under very high LOD scenery file calls.

Here is a chart which shows how the WD VelociRaptor fairs against SAS drives and typical SATA drives... the RED is the winner but note the READ/WRITE RANDOM ACCESS time... its equal to SAS, AND... FSX is a RANDOM READ application, not SEQUENTIAL READ which is what most benchmark programs such as HDTUNE and HDTACH use to test HDD speed and performance. Those mentioned benchmark speed tests are NOT indicative of what MSFS needs from the storage solution.. I/O meter results, are:

UTX SETTINGS FOR BEST PERFORMANCE vs BEST VISUALS

========================================================

UTX is a wonderful addon however it incorporates items by default that may choke a slower system… but they give you options to work with.

You may be seeing degraded performance due to some of your UTX settings. I will give you the settings that I use so you can try them and see if they help or not.

The UTX NIGHT LIGHTING (and Cars) feature has the most impact on performance.

Installing UTX can be a bit confusing because of all the patches..  below I have posted how to install UTX. I posted instructions when a user desires all three versions but the methodology is the same for a single version. Please read the instructions carefully

========================================

The offical patch and instruction page for UTX is located here

http://www.scenerysolutions.com/ut_downloads_FSX.html

I have provided a simplifed list below

Your base USA should be 1.2b which is the current version posted at Flight1. If your version is indeed 1.2b then skip down to the 1.4 Patch listed below. 

If you are using an older 'base version' of UTX USA (v1.0 v1.1) then follow this list:

If you are using v1.0 (check the interface after initial install) you need the 1.1 patch first, located here:

http://files.100megabyte.com/ultterrain/Patch/UtxUsaV11Patch.exe

NOTE: ALL FILES must be decompressed, if they are in zip format, before attempting to install

1.2(b) Patch: http://files.100megabyte.com/ultterrain/UtxUsaV12Patch.exe

NOTES:

1. After the base install of UTX and the install of ANY patch (any version) you MUST  always open the UTX tool first, then close it and open the sim. Start the sim and let it complete the update cycle. You do not need to boot a flight, only run the sim interface. Close the sim and install the next patch. Reboot the computer as UTX directs during patch installs.

2. The 1.2 patch DOES NOT come with a automatic patching tool. You MUST OPEN the UTX Config tool and select PREPARE FOR PATCH OR UPGRADE. Once selected THEN run the patch as directed.

3. All other patches past 1.2 for the USA come with a PATCH.exe file. USE THAT TOOL to upgrade UTX and do not open the interface. In the patch.exe tool, click the prepare button then install the patch

4. Reboots are only required when the patch or install says you must reboot, or, when you complete an entire UTX version install with all patches, which ever comes first.

thats it for USA

UTX Canada:  Base version should be 1.0

1.2 Patch:

http://files.100megabyte.com/ultterrain/utxcanv12.zip

Same instructions as above. Boot the interface and the sim after the base install and after the patch. Use Patch.exe for the upgrade

UTX Europe: current base version from Flight1 is 1.1c

1.4 Patch that installs all updates in one shot! http://files.100megabyte.com/ultterrain/UtxEurV14.zip

Same deal with the install..  unzip 1.4, use UTxPatch.exe,

boot interface, close.. boot sim, close

Be SURE to run your GEX interfaces and install/reinstall any UTX options after all these updates are complete.

Ultimate Alaska, v1.0 is the current full download

v1.1 Patch: http://files.100megabyte.com/ultterrain/utxakv11.zip

Last Patch, Acceleration: The patches posted below ASSUME you have installed, updated and are using all 3 UTX products.. if not, see the post here about which patch to use: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=23111

If you have all 3 versions of UTX installed (USA/CAN/EU):

Patch1: http://files.100megabyte.com/Ultterrain/Patch/UtxUsaAccel.exe

Patch2: http://files.100megabyte.com/Ultterrain/UtxEurAccel.exe

Must be installed USA first then EU

Make sure to OPEN the USA/Canada and then EU config tool after installing the Accel patches open/then close. let it do its configurations..  then open the sim and close

Next Step... confirm installs and REPAIR issues. You will do this for EACH version to run its self diagnostic to ensure no duplicates of files are found. 1. Open a interface. 2. Once the interface runs through its initial checks, on the keyboard hit: CTRL -SHIFT - R (three finger salute) The tool will  ask if you wish to run a cleanup, select YES. A message will appear at then end.. close

Close the tool and open the next.. repeat for each version of UTX.

NOTE: A problem was found with UTX Europe and ROAD SURFACES in the USA and other areas covered by UTX after the install of the Europe product. After you have installed all versions of UTX the quick fix is to OPEN THE UTX USA TOOL and use the ULTITAME TERRAIN - CHANGE ROAD SURFACE COLOR menu feature to repair the problem for all versions of UTX automatically Simply make selections in this area and click OK

========================================

THE FOLLOWING IS ONLY A SUGGESTION. THIS IS HOW I PERSONALLY SET UP UTX.. 

You may wish to set it up differently    Smile

FOR USA and CANADA

NIGHT LIGHTING – DISABLE NIGHT LIGHTING for MAJOR ROADS but if you have a decent system leave night lighting enabled for INTERSECTIONS. If you disable Intersection lighting you will get even better performance however I like the feature and it works well with the GEX patch for UTX and GEX night lighting.

FOR EUROPE – There is only ONE night lighting option… you will need to decide if you want this on or off but be aware, night lighting is a major performance killer.

=========================================

Once all installs are complete, I open the USA Config tool and make the following changes:

Menu: ULTIMATE TERRAIN – Change Road Surface colors

Uncheck ALL the “add auto imprint options”

Make the first 5 options CONCRETE
Make the next 2 options ASPHALT
Make the next option CONCRETE
Make the last option ASPHALT

Click OK

NOTE: The above is done to correct a problem found when UTX Europe is installed with other UTX products.. after you have changed the items above in the USA tool you can select what ever road surface you like but DO IT IN THE USA TOOL, not the Europe tool!

If you wish to make changes to the default wave effects..

Open: Change FS9 style Wave Effects

NOTE: There is a bug in FSX whereby if a user changes the FS9 wave effect in UTX, then later selects NO WAVES  frame rates can DROP and stutters can ensue.. 

If you do not make any changes to the wave effects after UTX is installed the issue will not present itself.

If you do happen to make changes in the wave settings, do not set any of the wave options to NO WAVES.. set to SMALL WAVES however there is a method to correct the problem which I posted below.

YOU CAN SKIP this section if you do not wish to make any changes and the performance issue will NOT effect you. However if you change/set any default 'NO WAVES" area to use waves, you can not turn those waves OFF without manually editing the FSX terrain.cfg file

The UTX devs are looking at a fix for this.

=============================================

UPDATE FOR THIS ISSUE:  If you make changes to the WAVES and wish to set NO WAVES for some selections, after doing so in the UTX interface you can correct the perf problem buy following these simple steps..

1. Open the main FSX folder

2. COPY and SAVE the file terrain.cfg to a safe location it case you make a mistake and can use it as a backup

3. OPEN the terrain.cfg file in the main FSX install folder in NOTEPAD

4. Go to TOOLS - FIND     TYPE: EFFECT= in the box, let it search

What you are looking for is ANY ENTRY that has a

EFFECT=      

with NO entry after the = sign. If there is nothing specified then DELETE the entire entry

EFFECT=  

Search for the next entry..   once you get to the end of the terrain.cfg, SAVE and close.

The issue is now resolved and you can run NO WAVES where you like. BE AWARE if you make any changes to the UTX settings for WAVES and turn one OFF later, you will need to manually re-edit the terrain.cfg

Open: Change Lighting Effect Brightness.

Set to 25% or 50%, your preference..

Click OK

ADVANCED MENU

MODIFY FLATTENING CAPABILITY – Bullet in Streams

Set the following from top to bottom using the same method for each.. click on each of the 4 items. At the bottom of the tool make sure OFFSET is in the dropdown, make the following changes in the order they appear in the list clicking SAVE after each change:

Click DONE

MODIFY ULTIMATE TERRAIN FEATURE WIDTHS – bullet in ROADS

Set the following from top to bottom using the same method for each.. click on each of the 37 items (skip the tracks). At the bottom of the tool you will see LINE WIDTH, make the following changes in the order they appear in the list clicking SAVE after each change:

Do not change the tracks, stop at the track options

Click DONE

WHY DO THE ABOVE with road width?   Please see this post.. you will understand why very quickly..     http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=26352&PID=180350#180350

NOTE: All changes with respect to lighting scale, waves, flattening and width are finished for ALL three versions. The ONLY items you need to address in each tool now are the FEATURE TREE dropdown items.

In the FEATURE TREE dropdown menus of the interface on the side.. Expand NIGHT LIGHTING

DISABLE Major Road Night Lighting.

OPTIONAL: Leave Intersection lighting ENABLED.

For highest performance disable both however the intersection lighting works well with GEX so if you have the hardware ability it is up to you which to leave enabled/disabled.

OPTIONAL CHANGES

These are up to you.

In the OTHER TERRAIN FEATURES:

I DISABLE the following

Highway Interchanges  - optional, some people prefer these
RPT Sports Tracks – again, optional NOTE: Must ALSO disable RTL Sports Tracks under ROAD SURFACES

In the ROAD SURFACES dropdown, DISABLE the following (some may already be disabled)

RD4 Minor Urban Roads
RTL Sports Tracks - optional Only if you disable RPT Sports tracks under OTHER TERRAIN FEATURES

Close the USA setup tool.

Open the Canada tool

REPEAT the same settings made for USA above.

I disable Glaciers for Canada only since I have seen issues with those but it depends on where you fly.

Open the Europe Tool, REPEAT the same settings made for USA above EXCEPT under the ROAD SURFACE dropdown, DISABLE the following. (some may already be disabled)

BR4 and BR5 Bridge objects for minor Urban and Rural roads
RD4 Minor urban roads
RD5 Minor rural roads
RTL Sports tracks

again, all optional..  the more roads you disable the more autogen will appear in cities. Roads overidde autogen as shown in this post:

NOTE: If you do not want moving CARS in UTX and this feature is a performance issue for you, then you MUST DISABLE the item RTX MOVING TRAFFIC located in each UTX configuration tool do NOT use the FSX car traffic slider with UTX installed!

==============================

Be aware that the UTX 1.2 patch increased car traffic for the USA on side streets.. many systems may find this a hard drag on perf especially in urban. The MAX car slider I would use with this is 5-7% and some older systems need to shut cars down completely by entering the UTX configuration Tool and under the ROAD SURFACE heading DISABLE moving traffic as that is the only way to remove the footprint of cars off the system.. the FSX slider for cars will not remove that footprint even when set to zero

===============================================

I hope this information has been helpful

Good Luck!

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 4:05pm

I will edit and update this document as I get time and any new information may come along

1/5/09 ADDED: Weather Cloud Draw Distance FSX.cfg edit

1/5/09 ADDED: Information on memory upgrades

1/7/09 ADDED: Links to C++ Library Update

1/8/09 ADDED: Out of memory errors and how to tune Windows virtual address space 

1/10/09 ADDED: Out of memory errors explanation of the edit VS physical memory

1/11/09 ADDED: Clarifications in Storage system solutions about the use of a card and motherboard SATA

1/13/09 ADDED: Bufferpool use and how to tell when and when not to use it by visual result  (FSX.cfg) 

1/14/09 ADDED: Better explaination and clarification about ATI card use in FSX (Nhancer section)

1/15/09 ADDED: Clarifications around autogen slider settings (Autogen section)

1/17/09 CHANGED: Item #2 in how to select memory.. expanded on the selection process for those who may not understand memory and clocking (Memory Upgrade Considerations Section)

1/26/09 ADDED: Driver Installs or upgrades REQUIRE Nhancer be set back up correctly. (Nhancer section)

1/28/09 ADDED: Out of Memory Errors: Can be visual graphic errors on the screen and not just a OOM Message with example thread (Out of Memory Error Section)

2/12/09 ADDED: Better explanation of why motherboard RAID hinders FSX performance (Storage Solution Section)

4/02/09 ADDED: BUFFERPOOLS for SOUND CRACKLE issues and smoother performance. (FSX.cfg section)

4/02/09 ADDED: AFFINITY MASK tweak Includes i7 and HYPERTHREAD (FSX.cfg section) 

4/18/09 ADDED: Nhancer 2.5.1 updated for 182.xx drivers or higher (Nhancer section) 

4/27/09 Added: UTX settings: How to get Perf vs Visuals (Last Entry)

5/07/09 MOVED: Nhancer visual instruction tutorial to this thread (nhancer section)

5/07/09 ADDED: Nhancer 2.4.5 required for drivers under 182.xxx, 2.5.1 for drivers 182.xx and higher and added NEW 2.5.1 settings information (nhancer section)

5/18/09 ADDED Link to Popping Cloud Issues (weather tab section)

5/27/09 ADDED Link to STORAGE PERFORMANCE consideration.. how to get the most out of what you have - Storage Performance section

6/4/09 ADDED Memory Speed/Timing list for user to find the best memory product and performance value - Memory Section

7/17/09 ADDED A higher that normal Texture Bandwidth Multiplier can be used with full Photoscenery packages (FSX.cfg Section)

8/25/09 ADDED A methodology for installing Windows, drivers and updates which ensures a correctly updated and prepared system is ready for stable, high performance use (SYSTEM OS/DRIVER INSTALL and TUNING section)

9/3/09 ADDED UTX, how to install it correctly and how to set it up for best results  (UTX Section, end of post)

10/10/09  ADDED  ATi 5870 Testing shows equal with some better performance results over the Nvidia 285 in FSX. The 5870 can be used for FSX (ATi Section)

11/26/09  ADDED  Nhancer 2.5.7 settings images

2/23/10 EDITED UTX patch links and added fix for the performace problem brought on by setting NO WAVEs in the UTX tools (UTX Install Section)

2/25/10 EDITED UTX Europe install ... new full version 1.1c, patch to 1.4 (UTX Install Section)

4/15/10 ADDED Link to Windows 7 Optimize gude

5/25/10 ADDED Updates to UTX Patches and link to a "temp fix" for using Nhancer settings with the Nvidia 257.15 drivers

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic