SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Scenery and Mission Making Tools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scenery object "shimmer"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scenery object "shimmer"
    Posted: May-14-2017 at 5:32pm
I downloaded, from another site, a free 3d object ( corn stocks) that  I wanted to populate a field with, for crop duster simulation in P3D.  IS recognizes the object and I can easily lay down multiple realistic rows as lines of objects.  The corn looks great up close but as I move away to a distance, and am moving in the aircraft, the whole field "shimmers" badly.  So this object is quite different from default vegetation objects in this regard, and I don't know the reason : (  and if I can correct it by some manipulation.  Does anyone have any ideas about this they can share with me?

Thanks in advance,

Larry
ualani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ualani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2017 at 5:59pm
Do other objects shimmer in the distance, or just these? 

Where did you get the object, what library is it from, and what is the object name? I can look at it for you and see if it's something inherent within it. Could be a Z fighting issue.
Wiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2017 at 7:02pm
Hello ualani

No,  this particular object is in a class by itself as far as shimmer in P3D with my video card and settings.

Here is the link to the object

Thanks for trying to help

Larry
ualani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ualani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2017 at 9:03am
I initially see the same thing that you do after converting .obj through MCX and placing about 150 of these with IS3. I'm going to experiment with various settings within MCX to see if I can eliminate the shimmer, but I doubt it.
Wiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2017 at 4:28pm
OK thanks for looking at it.

I know almost nothing about graphic files but I have noticed that vegetation objects that do not shimmer actually just consist of  2 x 2-dimensional planes at 90 deg to one another while this one is actually 3-dimensional as rendered in MCX. Maybe this has something to do with it? 
ualani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ualani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2017 at 10:06pm
I haven't particularly noticed this in other 3D vegetation that I can remember. This is a strange one. I messed with all kinds of anti alias graphic settings using Nvidia Inspector and couldn't totally eliminate the shimmer.
Wiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2017 at 8:06pm
OK thanks for looking at it for me. I think it's something inherent in the rendering of the object that makes it shimmer when viewed from a moving viewpoint.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic