SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scenery.cfg file could not be located error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scenery.cfg file could not be located error
    Posted: January-03-2018 at 11:34am
I have seen this in the FAQ section but the solutions do not fit my problem.

Yes I am running as administrator and no I only have one version of FSX SE on my system and yes it is installed in the default location as is UTX Europe and finally yes I have run FSX lots before installing UTX Europe (in fact UTX Canada works perfectly which is why I am expanding!)

At the end of install it is asking for the ...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX_SE\Scenery.cfg but in my set up those files are located in ...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.cfg.

How do I get the program to recognise the difference?
Bruce66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2018 at 11:54am
Out of desperation I tried the Boxed Version install even though I do not have, and never have had, the boxed version of FSX.

It seems to have worked but I have not had time to test it thoroughly...we shall see.
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2018 at 10:20pm
What you tried would have been one of the suggestions I would have made to you as when FSX-SE is installed on a system which has never ever had a 'boxed' FSX install it actually tries very hard to look like the 'boxed' FSX version.

We have had reports like yours before and in investigating the registry there always looks to be something which has made some changes to the Windows resgistry for FSX (boxed or Steam versions) which do not exactly match an FSX-SE only or an FSX/FSX-SE co-existance configuration. This confuses the UTX installers.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
Bruce66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 2:19am
So there is no difference in the content or running between versions? If that is the case the problem is solved.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2018 at 2:42am
There is no difference in final scenery file content between the FSX boxed and FSX-SE versions. The UTX install managers just handle the configuration file differences and location differences.

Jeff

Ron Wall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Wall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 6:24pm
This is my problem: I bought UTX Tropical America and Caribbean. I'm running FSX SE on a Windows 10 machine. I recently cloned my old hard drive that was giving me errors to a new hard drive, but I do not believe that is causing the problem. I was running FSX SE on the old drive and after the clone I have had no other problems. Three or four years ago I installed FSX SE and have been running it since then. Before that I did have the boxed version of FSX. When I ran the setup for UTX TA&C I'm getting the error mentioned above. I tried running the setup as the boxed version and that did not help. I uninstalled the software and reinstalled it and tried again. No luck. I'm up to my eyeballs in frustration, and am very disappointed in this product. I have never had a problem installing any other FSX SE product and it seems to me the install/setup process should be very straightforward, which in this case seems to be a nightmare. The last thing I want to do is mess with the Win-10 registry. If it is a registry problem, as you say, do you have a software tool to fix it? I'll be happy to try that if you do, otherwise someone needs to step me through the process one step at a time. I have wasted enough time on this over the past couple of days. If it cannot be fixed I want my purchase refunded.
Ron Wall
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 10:43pm
Do you still have the boxed version of FSX installed? If not, was it removed before or after FSX-SE was installed?

Was you Windows 10 install a clean install or an upgrade from a previous version? Was FSX boxed and/or FSX-SE installed before or after the Windows 10 install/upgrade?

Are you running the UTX Install Manager by right-clicking on it and selecting "Run as administrator"?

Exactly what is the error message with path that you are seeing?

Note we have no automated tool to address the registry changes needed to clean issues like this up as it all depends on order in which things were installed, what FSX platforms are still installed, how things were removed, what the current registry entries are for all FSX platform related entries, etc..

As for stepping things through manually, again it depends on your specific situation, though there are some walkthroughs I have provided to other customers which can be found in this forum which may apply in your case.

Jeff

Ron Wall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Wall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2018 at 8:51am
The boxed version is NOT installed. When I purchased FSX-SE it removed the box version but left some files that were unimportant and imported all of my files that were. This was a few years ago and I do not remember if I uninstalled the box version before installing FSX SE, but there were no recommendations to do that so it is possible, even likely that I did not. Windows 10 upgraded XP,  of that I'm sure. I have had FSX for a very long time, before Win 10 was released, so the answer is yes. Windows 10 installed with no errors and I'm reasonably sure that I used FSX boxed after the Windows upgrade. I ran the UTX software as administrator, which I always do even though I am on no network. I use the Windows Virus default program and it allowed the download-Install-setup programs to run with no warnings. The path for the error message is the same as that others have written about, [user]/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX (not FSX-SE). I looked on your forum for a solution and I did not find any instructions for editing the registry. If you can point me to that post I'll gladly try that.

I understand this is not your program, but any software that does not take these things in consideration should not be a product offered to consumers. I'm 75 years old, I spent most of my working career, both in the military and IBM as a computer systems analyst/programmer/manager. If one of my programmers failed to account for problems with the platform his/her product was to run on, had not tested it thoroughly for possible problems with the third party platform and the QA team allowed something like this to go into production, I would have had a serious discussion with all of them. There is no excuse for this. If I run the install/setup as FSX-SE, registry or not, no one should be having this problem. You can pass that on from an old fart with a lot of experience with programming issues along with a recommendation for a patch. If I can get UTX to work, we'll be friends again.
Ron Wall
Ron Wall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Wall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2018 at 9:08am
I searched this forum for the registry instructions. If it is on this forum, I cannot find it.
Ron Wall
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2018 at 10:05am
Installing FSX-SE with FSX boxed already installed does not remove the boxed version but installs in co-existance mode i.e. so you can still run both versions.

I too have had considerable experience (over 30 years) working for software development companies and did research and lectured in higher education in this area for 5 years before that. No software is bug free. A lot of design thought and testing went into the UTX Install Manager and associated installers but as there is no way to replicate every single customer's system or the order in which they installed/uninstalled/installed various versions of the OS, FSX environment or UTX, there are always some cases where issues are seen. When this happens we do our best to try and get the issue resolved via this support forum and feed this information back into the development process to try and add more checks to prevent it happening in the future.

As for an example from this forum of a previous thread on this same issue with information on registry checking and changes see this post. Of course this was with reference to someone else's registry so yours may be different so caution is required.

If you therefore really want to try and get the software working then I am happy to try and assist, if not, Flight 1 has a 30 day money back guarantee.

Jeff

Ron Wall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Wall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2018 at 1:35pm
I found your instructions for MATTSIMM. Since my registry entries and my environment is not like his I want to make sure I have the right info for my system. I notice the the old FSX SDK is listed in the registry, but I have not had the SDK on my system for quite some time. I also notice that in the screen shots there is no 10.0 tree under Flight simulator Steam Edition. I see that the 
co-existence is set to Hex 1. Here is my screen shot of the current registry entries for FSX.
Ron Wall
Ron Wall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Wall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2018 at 1:38pm
I should have mentioned that I ran CClean registry cleaner. It eliminated a lot of old stuff. I have both my registry and a full system backup that I ran yesterday evening before I ran the cleaner this morning.
Ron Wall
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2018 at 2:16pm
Hi Ron,

OK, that is certainly very different from anything I've seen before and CCleaner (a good tool) may have been a bit over-zealous. For example the fact that the 'Co-Existence' flag is set to '1' it is effectively saying FSX-SE and FSX boxed are both installed yet there is no 'Flight Simulator' registry tree at all. Note - That when FSX-SE installs in FSX-SE only mode, it tries very hard to look like FSX Boxed for many registry entries.

Anyway, I think it can be fixed up but before I make my recommendations, can you please click on the '10.0' sub-tree under 'Flight Simulator - Steam Edition' and send a screenshot so I can see what entries are inside.

Jeff

Ron Wall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Wall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2018 at 4:52pm
Thanks Jeff. The "Launch" branch contains on the Default value not set. I don't know if this helps or makes things worse, but while trying different things with FSX I discovered that I cannot print my Navigation log from the flight planner and my flights are not being logged in Pilot records (this might because of a corrupted log file, but I don't think so (just a hunch). Here's my screen shot.
Ron Wall
Ron Wall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Wall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2018 at 6:20pm
I will get back to this tomorrow. Don't work overtime. Cheers.
Ron Wall
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2018 at 11:15pm
Thanks for all the information. I think there is a way to move this forward.

In general you need to end up with registry entries as shown in the 3 screenshots in this specific post. That specific post (and the one after it) detail how to create and modify various registry entry types and content along with some folder/file name changes which may be needed (but may not be in your case).

Anyway, if this was my system, here are the steps I would take to get it to an FSX-SE only system.

1) Backup registry.
2) Using registry editor go to 'Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft Games'.
3) Rename key 'Flight Simulator - Steam Edition' to 'Flight Simulator'. Do that by right-clicking on 'Flight Simulator - Steam Edition', selecting 'Rename' and then doing the rename.
4) Next right-click on 'Microsoft Games' key and select 'New>' and then pick 'Key'.
5) When the 'New Key #1' appears, rename it to 'Flight Simulator - Steam Edition'. Make sure you have the space before and after the '-' and of course do not add the quote (') characters.
6) Click on the newly created 'Flight Simulator - Steam Edition' key and then, following the instuctions in the specific post I listed above, create the four entries as shown in the last of the three screenshots in that specific post, if they do not exist.
7) Click on the 'Flight Simulator' key and delete the 'Co-Existence', 'FirstTime' and 'Language' items.
8) Double-check that your registry now looks like the entries in the three screenshots in the specific post.
9) If they do, close the registry. If not, recheck all the previous steps.
10) Work through the items in the post after the one with the three screenshots to see if any of the folders/filenames suggested do not match what you see on your system. Change as appropriate (in most cases this is if you find a reference to 'FSX-SE' it gets changed to just 'FSX').
11) Run FSX-SE to see if things still work. If not, report back on what you see and we'll work from there.
12) If things look good, you can now re-run the UTX TAC install and report on whether it works or not.

Jeff

Ron Wall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Wall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2018 at 9:17am
Thank you, Jeff. I have some business to take care of this morning so if I cannot do this before then I'll get back to you ASAP. There is no urgency to worry about. Thanks.Big smile
Ron Wall
Ron Wall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Wall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2018 at 11:12am
Great! Working really well. Thanks loads, Jeff. The scenery looks like I hoped it would. I hated those jagged coast lines in FSX default scenery. I Think I look at your other products. Cheers.
Ron Wall
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2018 at 4:36pm
Ron,

Glad that things are working now. If you see any issues which may be related to the installation or any of the registry and folder/file name changes, just let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

Jeff

Ron Wall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Wall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2018 at 8:58am
Thank you Jeff. So far so good.Smile

Ron Wall
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic