SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Problems with ground textures in FSX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diigg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems with ground textures in FSX
    Posted: October-31-2011 at 12:10pm
Hello,

I still long forum, but until now had never written on it. Take this opportunity to say hello to everyone and especially nickN, whose advice is so useful.

The point is that a few weeks I've been a little frustrated with my fsx. This is due to a bug that has appeared to me recently. Despite everything I've read and applied all my attempts to resolve it have been frustrated. So now, a little desperate, I ask your help and advice to see if I can solve it.

The specific problem is a slow loading of ground textures, both low and high altitudes. No matter the model of aircraft used and the flight speed. The textures on the flight takes several seconds to load at all. If I pause during the flight and wait a few seconds (4-5 sec. About) these are perfectly fine and clear.

To begin, I will make a description of my computer: Processor i7 @ 3.2 GHz (4 cores with HT enabled - 8 threads -), 6GB RAM, 9800GT 1GB Graphics Card PCI Express x16, 7.200 RPM HDD 1.5 TB dedicated (and defragmented, of course) for FSX. The operating system is Windows 7 64 bits.

Regarding FSX. FSX Acceleration. UTX, GEX, REX2. Some scenarios and airports freeware and paid (Aerosoft, Newport, FTX, etc..) Planes also free and paid. The installation is fresh, as a result of buying the hard drive dedicated to the simulator.

I know I not have a super high computer (4GHZ, 550 graphics or SSD drives) but I think it is powerful enough to have an internal configuration in the upper-middle FSX. It varies depending on the type of scenario where I'm going to fly, taking into account the addons installed for that area. Not the same level of demand in an area where there is an FTX escenery that where there is not, for example.

Externally I used the guide to configure the utility nickN Nvidia Inspector 1.9.5.5 and I use 0.2 as the fps limiter limiter 30fps outside. The currently installed driver is the latest NVidia 285.62, although I tried a couple of previous versions with identical results.

I have also applied various tweaks and fixes in the fsx.cfg for smoother operation of the simulator.  While improving the smoothness of the sim, do not solve the problem of loading textures.

These are the ones I have actually applied:

[JobSchedule]
AffinityMask = 84

[BufferPools]
RejectThreshold = 131072

[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX = 1
ALLOW_SHADER_30 = 1
STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD = 1024
ForceFullScreenVSync = 1
ForceWindowedVSync = 1
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD = 2048 -> same results with 1024 and 4096 textures
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10 = 1693500672
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED = 1693500672

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GT.0 GeForce 9800]
Mode = 1680x1050x32
Anisotropic = 1 -> same result with trilinear = 1

[Main]
DisablePreload = 1
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION = 0.33

[Display]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT = 80
TextureMaxLoad = 30

[TERRAIN]
AUTOGEN_DENSITY = 3
DETAIL_TEXTURE = 1
LOD_RADIUS = 5.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY = 100
MESH_RESOLUTION = 23
SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT = 30
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL = 700
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL = 500
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION = 29
WATER_EFFECTS = 4

[SCENERY]
MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS = 3

I've tried various settings in Terrain, these are just the latest I've tried and now contained in the fsx.cfg.

I have tested with several of them, especially those related to the textures (FFTF, TextureMaxLoad, LOD, SWT) but none of the combinations to solve the problem ends.

I still have some testing to do yet, but I'm at a point where I could use fresh ideas.
Besides, I have some doubts about some things I've read on this and other forums.

1. Can be related to the problem with nvidia driver Inspector and used?. Perhaps you should use older drivers because my graphics card model?. Any suggestions about the driver to use for someone who still use this model of graphics?

2. NickN, the values ​​for the configuration of the utility serves as Nvidia Inspector for my model of graphics card or just high-end models such as 200.400 or 500 series?.

3. In your most recent guide using version 1.9.3.2, does it just use the 1.9.5.5?, Could have changed something in this latest version?. I set out to do a test with an older driver as the nHnacer 197.xy to see if it improves anything.
Is it worth it or is it a waste of time?.

The most curious of all is that before I did not have this problem (with almost the same addons now, UTX, GEX, etc.). At least I had not done so obvious as to realize, as now, but not exactly when it started.

A greeting. See if you can give me some ideas before being forced to perform a new installation from scratch.This also assures me that will fix the problem.
justme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2011 at 6:08am

Ermm  let's see ... it's this one ... it's that one ... nope .... nope ... oh yeah ... found it :

CLEAN INSTALL

First read this one http://www.simforums.com/forums/setting-up-fsx-and-how-to-tune-it_topic29041.html  although it's intended for XP there is some very good info about hardware and fsx.cfg tweaks so read that

Now if you've read Nick's posts, try and accept your hardware limitations

What i mean (following Nick's advice)  is that instead of applying all kinds of tweaks, which eventually will cause you more headaches then before, back those sliders a notch (autogen, scenery complexity, disable bloom, DX10, water 2x low etc) and live with it

The tweaks in the fsx.cfg that you can keep are those mentioned in Nick's guides, but with your hardware you can keep fps limiter, if you know what it does and how to use it

Another thing, you should disable hyperthreading 'cause it's no good to fsx, which sees only the physical cores, and with that disabled, instead of having "AffinityMask = 84" you should try "AffinityMask =14" and see if it's any good for your system (search "FSX JESUS TWEAKS" on google and see what is all about)

About your video card, well ... i don't think you can apply those settings with inspector

Please overclock that CPU

Make sure to read Nick's settings with UTX

As a final note, keep it clean and keep it simple   Thumbs Up

EDIT: if this topic was adressed only to Nick sorry for steping in
dazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2011 at 1:38pm
One thing... this:

[JobSchedule]
AffinityMask = 84

is wrong. Shoud be:

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask = 84

Diigg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diigg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2011 at 3:03pm
Hello,

thank you both for your comments.

justme, everything you mention and I've read and tested, but thanks again. These days, I read in other forums to trynew things. I will tell.

dazz, thanks for the note. I have reviewed my fsx.cfg and well written. It must have been a failure to edit the post. By the way, for different values, that had always tested with a value of 14, but recently I read a post where it was said that this value is valid provided they have HT disabled. In case of active HT values ​​vary. 84 is the value returned mybojote tool.
dazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2011 at 2:24am
Originally posted by Diigg Diigg wrote:

Hello,

thank you both for your comments.

justme, everything you mention and I've read and tested, but thanks again. These days, I read in other forums to trynew things. I will tell.

dazz, thanks for the note. I have reviewed my fsx.cfg and well written. It must have been a failure to edit the post. By the way, for different values, that had always tested with a value of 14, but recently I read a post where it was said that this value is valid provided they have HT disabled. In case of active HT values ​​vary. 84 is the value returned mybojote tool.

Yes, for all I know 84 or 168 are the correct affinity mask values with HT enabled to replicate the 14 mask with HT off
Diigg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diigg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 3:09pm
Well, after several days of testing I decided to give up and try to enjoy the simulator as best you can. Although I have achieved an improvement in the smoothness I have not managed to solve the issue of blurriers. I tried several things, including the return to old drivers and nHancer Inspector instead of Nvidia but nothing worked.

I'm considering testing with a modern graphics card. I've been looking at the NVidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5. Seems like a good card at an affordable price (128 ), what do you think?. It seems that the Asus comes overclocked and gives a slightly better performance.

Greetings and thank you. If you think of any solution I'm all ears.
Zman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 3:48pm
A newer video card will help some ,,, 560ti or above would be a better choice, BUT it will not help alot , that is because fsx is cpu Intensive not gpu,,, i sugest u turn off hyperthreading and OC your cpu a little ,, providing u have a good cpu cooler NOT STOCK COOLER And what i7 cpu do u have, what MOBO do u have what speed Memory ie 1333,1600 and what is the Cas Latency of the memory, all this plays a role in makeing fsx run smooth,
Also NickN has many post in this forum to set fsx up and to Optimize Win7 I Recomend u do a search in the forum under your issues and also set your Sys up the way Nick Sugest if u can ,, you will see a great deal of difference in performance and smoth, blury , Also if u get rid of alot of those CFG tweaks u r using u will see a improvement the CFG tweaks Nick uses r
This is what is in all my config files and other than a few exceptions this is all I use

[Display]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120
WideViewAspect=True // For wide screen aspect monitors
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0
ForceFullScreenVSync=True
ForceVSync=True

[Main]
HideInfoText=1
DisablePreload=1

[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1 //only needed with heavy hitting payware planes

THIS IS NICK N FSX CFG
Read what Jetline Systems have to say about hardware and fsx heres the link
Darryl
Diigg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diigg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 6:18pm
Thanks for the recommendations Zman. Of course, I followed the recommendations of nickN and I've read posts on the forum. It is an important factor is the CPU, but I've also read that some of the problems are solved with the textures better graphics card. The 560 is a bit out of my budget, so you asked about the 550 Ti.

By the way, which driver version you use?

Greetings
Zman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 7:28pm
Diigg
the 550ti does not have that many procesing cores go to newegg.com and do a comparson of the 2,,, Also if you can wait until the first part of the new year nvidia is suppose to be coming out with a new GPU, use driver 275.33, Nvidia software tech have not done a good job with the last 2 driver release ,, they will stop responding doing simple task , Personally my self i would save my money and wait to get a new card in the new year,,,
Darryl 
justme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2011 at 4:15am

STOP WASTING MONEY 

Diigg a 550 will do sh*t or at most very little for you

If doing a full upgrade in the next 2 years it's out of the question, then the obvious choice would be a clocked CPU at around 4 Ghz with an aftermarket cooler, coupled with at least a 560

But if you've read Nick's posts, the key in FSX is a balanced system, that including CPU, GPU, RAM, DRIVE solution, and least but not last a solid MB for overclocking

The blurries, lagging, low fps, etc can be caused by ANY of those, including a bad overclock, unproperly applied tweaks, bad system optimization, scenery involved

Hope that helps you Beer

Diigg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diigg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2011 at 9:49am
Hello,

thanks for the advice everyone. At the end I managed to solve the problem almost entirely without reinstall FSX. The solution has been to start from the beginning and go step by step, following the recommendations given by nickN and others in their guides.

Though I suppose it will be a number of factors, one of the keys seems to have been correct configuration of UTX. Especially in terms of traffic car, freeing up a lot of processing load on the CPU.

The truth is that I'm going to enjoy FSX, even with parameters higher than before and without external limiters FPS. I've even stopped using some of the tweaks that before seemed indispensable. I even think I have still some room to improve a little more fine tuning some parameters.

Anyway, I'm thinking of upgrading the graphics card, but will listen to Zman and Justme and I'll wait a bit to see if NVidia graphics card brings some new and lower prices a bit in the series 560. The 550 is completely ruled out.

Regards
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic