SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain Series > Support for all the 'Ultimate' Series of Terrain Products
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Out of Memory Error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olseric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Out of Memory Error
    Posted: May-05-2006 at 4:31am

Rather than tack onto the last thread and possibly get WAY off topic, I figued it best to start a new thread.

At any rate, I am a recent victim of the dreaded out of memory error.  This shouldn't be happening in a system with 2GB of physical memory and a 4GB swap file.

So, I have run the wonderful file monitor program and now have approximately 10 000 entries in an hours time before we got the dialog box in my face telling me that I was out of memory.

So now out of curiosity, has anyone here has played with that program before and if so, what should I be looking for exactly?  I know that one major cause of the "memory leak" deals with landclass and texture, which, I seemingly have no issues with.  All of my add-on scenery is stored in their own folders within the main scenery directory and all texture files have been removed and placed into the main texture folder of Flight Sim.

I highlighted anything which flagged an "error" and found several throughout the entire run.  The one that stood out at me the biggest though was FS's repeated search for some autogen files (I presume that's what a .AGN file is) and failure to locate them.  I have searched my PC high and low and do not have them anywhere.

So, from a Ultimate Terrain point of view, does UT install any Autogen files?  If so, I suspect that I may have had a faulty install and may need to reinstall the program.

As I start to rip this log apart in detail, does anyone have some direction as to what I should be looking for other than repeated failed (and ultimately unfound) attempts to access textures?  Will an effects file that isn't present cause a memory leak?  How about a scenery BGL that isn't found?

Unforuntately, there is little documentation available to us users who know a little about the sim, but not enough about the inner workings of it to make an educated decision based upon the data presented by FileMonitor.

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 2:02pm
Only UT Europe installs AGN files for the ind/comm landclass layer.   UT USA and UT Can/AK do not install any autogen files or custom landclass textures.
Allen
olseric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olseric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 11:00am

Thank you Allen.  Another quick question for you...

The "out of memory" error as I understand it can be caused by a number of things such as a missing texture for a landclass file, etc.

Will missing textures for objects do it?  How about a missing autogen file?  Missing effects file?

I'm just trying to get a base here as what direction I should start and I figured the missing stuff would be the place to look first.

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 4:03pm

Missing textures will cause a CTD, not an out of memory error.

Memory leaks seem to occur when a texture is missing from the local TEXTURE folder, but it is not missing from another default texture folder (i.e. TEXTURE or SCENERY\WORLD\TEXTURE).  

FS9 most likely keeps an internal list of displayed objects and textures.  Each time a new texture is to be loaded, I believe that FS9 pre-allocates memory for this texture. Then, it tries to load the texture from the local TEXTURE folder (associated with the local SCENERY folder).   I think that problems occur when the texture cannot be found in the expected location, and FS9 erroneously does not release the allocated memory for that texture slot.

Based on this theory, empty TEXTURE folders will cause bad memory leaks because FS9 preallocates memory for the expected texture load, but then cannot find it.

Landclass is even more tricky that other types of objects, because some textures are used indirectly by FS9 when the terrain has drastic elevation changes.    This is what caught us off guard with the ind/comm landclass portion of UT Europe.

Most landclass addons do not contain TEXTURE folders, so they should not cause a problem.

It is a very difficult explanation for me.

Allen
United001 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote United001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2006 at 11:58pm
So, if one is having CTD's randomly, say one in every 5 or 6 flights in ALL areas of N.American flown.... might it be reasonable to assume that a texture is missing. I use UT USA and Canada/Alaska since July 2005 and have battled this issue since then. I have scoured my system hi and low and corrected all AFCAD duplicates ect. Could there be a faulty or misinstalled texture in UT USA or Can./Alaska? Could I solve this as one post suggested by placing a copy of the default FS9 textures into the UT folders?? I am SO tired of scenery provoked CTDs.

Randy Jura, KPDX
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2006 at 11:03am

Randy,

Texture CDT's would not be completely random, because you should be able to repeat them if you take the same exact flight path, during the same season, at the same time of day.

In the USA and Can/AK, just about every CTD can be traced back to a missing texture, or some kind of messed up TERRAIN.CFG file entries from other scenery packages (those that may have changed the textures associated with FS2004 named textures).

If you follow a lot of the older CTD threads in this forum, and check the FAQ regarding CTD's, then you might be able to isloate the problem.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=16485&am p;PN=1

Once you can duplicate the problem (same flight, season, and time), then we can help you isolate the problem textures.   You would do this by turning on/off different UT features.  Once you can isolate the problem to a specific UT Feature, then we can tell you where to look for problem textures.

For example, if you eventually come to the conclusion that streams are causing a CTD, then we can tell you which textures to look for.   And, we can tell you which entries to look for in the TERRAIN.CFG file that might be corrup.

The key to all this is being able to duplicate the CTD.   In FS2004, there really should not be any random CTD's unless there was some kind of a hardware/driver issue.

Allen
olseric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olseric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2006 at 7:08am

Just a thought here, but I suspect you could get the TERRAIN.CFG file off the FS9 install disks and do a comparrison.

By the way, I think I tracked my issue down to a bad freeware scenery package, although, I think there's more to it yet.

United001 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote United001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2006 at 1:34pm
Well, what if I removed (and saved aside) the terrain.cfg file. Would FS9 rebuild anew and "fix" any possible problems therein?

Randy Jura, KPDX
olseric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olseric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2006 at 2:05am

I don't know the answer to this one.

Try zipping up the one you have and then starting FS.  Worst that can happen is FS will crash.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic