SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Partner Forums > Opus Software
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OpusFSI Version 5 Prototype

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2017 at 12:48pm
It builds the camera list once when you go into camera edit mode. It could be something trying to block access to that disk, e.g. Win defender.
JohnH1984 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2017 at 1:07pm
Hi Stephen, 

I am currently using version 5.00.13 with P3D v3.4, does it matter if I start it with P3PSERVER.EXE or FSISERVER.EXE P3D34

Thanks, John

Opus Software View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2017 at 1:28pm
You should use FSISERVER.exe with the P3D or P3D34 argument.
JohnH1984 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2017 at 1:52pm
Thanks for the quick reply!

John
Adamski_NZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2017 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Opus Software Opus Software wrote:

It builds the camera list once when you go into camera edit mode. It could be something trying to block access to that disk, e.g. Win defender.

I disable Avast when I'm running P3D. Windows Defender is off permanently anyway.

Does it build the camera list from all the aircraft.cfg files? If so, they're all on my P3D/SSD drive so should be super fast.

If not the aircraft.cfg files, what files does it need access to?

Adam.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2017 at 3:30pm
It builds from all the simobject files. We haven't changed that software but will have a look at it tomorrow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 3:35am
Hi Adam,

SSDs can provide very fast reading but slower in writing and the aircraft.cfg files have to be amended to ensure the OpusFSI CameraDefinitions are in place. I will look into it but haven't changed any of the software. In the meantime you should check your sim folder and files to make sure all is as it should be and all additional SimObjects are defined once only.

Also check your OpusFSI_v5 SimObjects_P3D.log (assuming P3D sim type). Opus creates this log file showing all the sim object folders it accesses and recording any errors.

I have an SSD and mine is very quick indeed but I only have one addon aircraft.

Stephen :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 4:34am
Only one add-on aircraft??? Wow!!! How on earth did you manage that!!!! LOL! You really don't want to know how many I have. Maybe I've reached some threshold?

I'll check the log. Does OPUS only look for aircraft.cfg files (specifically)? I edit them quite a lot and often save them in the form aircraft_BAK.cfg etc. If it's processing all those (as well) then that could slow things down.

As to SSD etc. - my hardware hasn't changed for months (and neither has much changed in the system in general) but this slow-down has just started happening.

Adam.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 5:04am

Aircraft Lists and CFG Files...

The OpusFSI software checks the following,

1. Searches all simobject 'Airplanes' and 'Rotorcraft' folders.
2. Searches all AddonPath folders.

The AddonPath folders are obtained from all folders listed in ...

a) The OpusFSI_SimObjects_P3D.txt file.
b) The Program Data's 'Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D vX\SimObjects.cfg file.

All AddonPaths are searched for 'Airplanes' and 'Rotorcraft' sub-folders.

For each folder search...

1. Ignores all aircraft that have no 'panel' type folder.
2. Finds all '.cfg' files in a folder.
3. Updates the 'aircraft.cfg' file creating '.cfg.bak' and '.cfg.old' backup files,
   If no 'aircraft.cfg' file found then it updates all files with '.cfg' extension.

An OpusFSI SimObjects_SIM.log file is created to log all aircraft/rotorcraft folders checked and all reported errors.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 9:06am
OK - thanks for that, Stephen! I checked the log and did find some errors - but I have some queries as a result (!):

1) Rotorcraft
All the logged errors were in my add-ons folder outside of P3D - where it was looking for a "Rotorcraft" folder. All the components (per aircraft) are listed in the "add-on.xml" file. None of my add-ons there have a "Rotorcraft" folder - yet, strangely, not all of them produce an error.

I've just pasted dummy/empty folders in all of them and will re-test.

2) No "panel" folders
I have a host of ORBX AI aircraft in simobjects. None of them have panels. The folders appear in the log, but I suppose that's OK as I expect it looks no further.

3) ****.cfg files
Would it help if, rather than rename my copies to aircraft_BAK.cfg, use aircraft.BAK?

Adam.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 9:18am
Yes, avoid using the .cfg extension.

You can email me your log file, it might give me some insight or ideas for your setup. The rotorcraft folder is checked but I don't think the error matters. The lack of a panel folder is to ensure dummy aircraft are not included in the cfg file updates as they cannot have cameras assigned.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 11:27am
Hi Stephen!

Placing dummy "Rotorcraft" folders got rid of the errors. The time taken is now 20secs (yay!!).

I'll work my way through and rename all my additoinal .cfg files - and will email you a log file soon.

My memory is pretty atrocious these days, but I dimly remember some discussion in the past about the scanning procedure including/ignoring certain locations/folders. Could it be that "Rotorcraft" was once not checked for (in external to P3D locations) - and has become re-enabled?

Could a solution to this be to have the external locations (in OpusFSI_SimObjects_P3D.txt) referenced with more granularity by:

[path]\AddonName\Content\SimObjects\Aircraft
... or ..
[path]\AddonName\Content\SimObjects\Rotorcraft

.. rather than the current "catch-all"
[path]\AddonName\Content\SimObjects

Adam.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 11:37am
The Aircraft and Rotorcraft sub-folders are standard but I could look at allowing one, both, or neither (just SimObjects) to be specified. Then the software can assume both if the path ends in SimObjects, or just the one folder if ending in anything else. Anything to optimise the scanning. If the errors were causing delays that was most likely just windows takings its time to attempt the read and return an error exception. I may be able to look at weeding out such delays using a different procedure.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 12:07pm
Fantastic - thanks, Stephen :-)

Adam.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 2:41am
Don't forget to email me your SimObjects_P3D.log file.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 1:18pm

Don't forget to email me your SimObjects_P3D.log file.

Looks like I may have counted my chickens a bit early :(

I'm back to 90secs again. Check your email! :)

Adam.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 1:25pm
Ok, thanks Adam.

Cheryl

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 1:46pm
Got your zip file, will take a look tomorrow.

When you say you 'disable' Avast, do you mean you shut it down completely and then restart it after you've finished sim flying. If not try it as just disabling Avast or trusting OpusFSI will not stop it double checking all disk access, especially if you've installed your sim in program files. Also whenever any AV program is stopped Win Defender will act as a full fledged AV itself so you must get rid of Win Defender.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 1:49pm
Also Win Defender will auto restart itself after a delay if you just disable it. Hence it must be shut down completely.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 1:56pm

When you say you 'disable' Avast, do you mean you shut it down completely and then restart it after you've finished sim flying. If not try it as just disabling Avast or trusting OpusFSI will not stop it double checking all disk access, especially if you've installed your sim in program files. Also whenever any AV program is stopped Win Defender will act as a full fledged AV itself so you must get rid of Win Defender.

What I've been doing for years is to temporarily disable all the [Avast] shields while I'm "flying". I've been checking to see if Windows Defender kicks in: it doesn't - probably because I haven't *totally* disabled Avast.

Totally disabling Avast isn't easy, I don't think - without stopping all the services, disabling the startup options, then rebooting. Not something I'd like to have to do every time I want to jump into P3D. I suspect that, once Avast is disabled totally, then I'd *also* have to disable Windows Defender <?>. Arrrgh!

I'm on Win7x64 (fully up-to-date) BTW.

Adam.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 2:14pm
No need to completely remove Win Defender on Win 7, it's only Win 10 that's a problem.

If you could try the sim with Avast shut down instead of disabled. Even after disabling an AV programs options it can still slow everything down. Avast has caused problems with users in the past.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 1:06am
Can't see anything wrong with your log file. You should check your c:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v3\simobjects.cfg file and make sure you haven't got any of your folders already listed in there. If you have then they will end up being accessed twice.

I notice you have installed the sim in 'H:\Program Files (x86)\..'. This means it is essential you shutdown your Avast AV software completely before running the sim. In fact prevent it from starting up automatically and only run it manually when needed. It's most likely slowing the disk access to 'H:\Program Files (x86)\..' down to a crawl, even when you turn all its options off.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 8:49am
Well, well, well ... what can I say???

7 seconds!!!

1) Nothing untoward about my simobjects.cfg file - and I double-checked the extra paths file (no problems there either).

2) So ... I downloaded an Avast uninstaller utility and had it primed (!).

3) Before that, however, I took another long hard look at its config. As with many A/V programs these days, it's actually quite hard to stop all the services (presumably because that's what a dodgy file would try to do). Other than the three main "shields", Avast installs a whole heap of additional components - either by default, or silently via updates.

Rather than simply turning them off, I uninstalled ALL the *components* (you get the option to reinstall them easily if you want/need them again). There were about six of the damn' things. Once nuked, the initial Live camera scan went back to normal. YAY!!!!!!!

I'm glad we went through all this in public, as it may help others out with similar problems.

Well done (and thanks), Stephen!

Adam.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic