SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Partner Forums > Opus Software
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OpusFSI Beta 5.21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OpusFSI Beta 5.21
    Posted: February-09-2018 at 12:32am

OpusFSI Beta 5.21.x Software

So far we have improved the Sim Friendly upper wind targets and increased the airborne turbulence effects when the landing gear is lowered or the spoilers extended. The default weather update distance has also been set at 80km to minimise cloud shifting. An optimum weather update distance will be determined during the beta trials (most likely to be somewhere between 80 and 120 km). The Spy window now indicates the Distance Since Last Update in km each time the weather cell data is displayed.

This beta also trials a 'New Wind Stabilisation' method which hopefully will elliminate the weather updates needed during altitude zone changes and the subsequent possible forced wind recovery.

We will also be adding a simple and quick method to specify and inject Global Weather as an option within the 'Import METAR' section in the Weather dialog. This new quick method of specifying and injecting global weather will include a Recall option to recall previous weather conditions. This feature will be useful for those wishing to practice bad weather approaches and conduct circuit training in a variety of conditions.

As you may be aware, Lockheed Martin may be fixing the problems with the SimConnect weather injection functions. We will be preparing a new selective or 'Dynamic Weather Update' mode which will elliminated the need for any theme updates during flight. We will also investigate an improved FSX Selective Update mode for those not flying the P3D sim. These new modes will most likely be introduced in a subsequent beta.

I will let you know here when the 5.21.0 Beta is posted.

Stephen Smile

Opus Software View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2018 at 2:56am
I have added a new 'Global METAR Conditions' Checkbox and Combobox option to the Weather dialog's METAR File Import section.

This new import option can be used to select and specify Global METAR conditions for use in the sim. The global conditions are specified in standard METAR form excluding the ICAO and Day/Time code at the start. In other words excluding the 'ICAO DDHHMMZ' phrase at the start.

For example, the string 27004KT 0200 SCT042 04/01 Q1018 would specify a surface wind of 270 at 4 knots, surface visibility of 200 metres, scattered cloud at 4200 feet, temperature 4, dew point 1, and a QNH of 1018mb.

Stephen Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2018 at 3:19am
I have added a temporary Enable Wind Stabilisation (Beta Test) checkbox option to the Weather dialog. This option must be ticked prior to generating weather each time the OpusFSI server program is activated. Setting this option before flight, along with setting all defaults in all the weather related dialogs, will prepare the weather engine ready to test the new wind stabilisation method. This method eliminates the need for weather 'theme' updates during the altitude zone changes and forced surface wind recovery.

Users can experiment with the Weather Update Distance setting (recommended 80 to 120 km) to get a feel for the optimum weather update distance that minimises cloud shifts. This will be as a result of allowing Opus to preserve the current cloud coverage and layers. The sims cloud layering and depiction becomes less accurate the further you fly making the cloud shifts more noticeable. Bare in mind Opus preserves the cloud formations, layers, and coverage. It has no say over the placement of individual clouds.

Stephen Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2018 at 6:50am
The weather update distance may now range from 32km to 240km. We've also improved the Cloud and Visibility Smoothing procedures and extended their range.

The DHM turbulence effects now factor in landing gear and spoiler positions. The Spy window now indicates the 'Distance Since Last Update' in km each time the weather cell data is displayed.

Stephen Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 5:40am
OpusFSI Beta Version 5.21.0 is now available for download on our website.

See Announcements.

If conducting beta tests or just trying out the new beta please set the new Enable Wind Stabilisation (Beta Test) checkbox option in the main Weather dialog, then click Defaults in all other Weather dialogs. Make sure you specify your intended Destination and Max Cruise Altitude before injecting the pre-flight weather.

Stephen Smile

Work in progress...

I am now looking at improving the visibility smoothing in an attempt to minimise the sudden vis changes (or VF flickers P3D generates). As you know the Volumetric Fog option in P3D allows vertical vis changes to be seen within the sim but is still is incapable of rendering any lateral vis changes. The new smoothing will hopefully minimise the undesirable consequences of this limitation.

651132 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 651132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 4:26am
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for all the work!

Did a short flight yesterday with the new beta. Only climbed to 34000 then stopped (lack of time).

All settings default (even deleted the content of the Opus installmap, except for my cams) and with the Enable Wind Stabilisation checkbox set.

Shortly after take-off there was an update. The clouds did move (to the left, due to windconditions I think), but I believe their appearance stayed the same. Thats good!

Not much later the same thing happened. The interval of 80km is about 7-8 minutes for a 737 high flyer.

So far my first findings. I like it a lot. But have to wait untill Friday for the next test.

I am curious about the vis smoothing. Can't wait to test it.

Regards,

André

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 5:06am
Thanks, I will try a few longer flights and different update distances. There will always be some cloud shifting as all that can be preserved during a theme update is the actual cloud patters, layering, coverage, etc.. that can also depend on how much cloud the sim has dragged along with it. But the new cloud smoothing should do a much better job at preserving the overall cloud cover.

You could try different update distances see if that makes any difference to the cloud smoothing. Say 120km then 160km, the max is 240km but that’s really approaching the limit inside the sim.

I am still making a few tweaks to the new wind stabilisation and also DWC but things are looking promising.

Regards
Stephen
w6kd View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w6kd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 8:25pm
Any reason to believe this won't work with P3D v4.2?

Regards

Bob Scott

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 2:43am
None, just use the P3D or P3D4 program argument to FSISERVER.EXE and the start up program will prepare everything for dotNet 4 use. So compatible with all P3D Version 4.x sims.

Stephen Smile
w6kd View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w6kd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 12:37pm
ranksarot

Bob
651132 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 651132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2018 at 9:05am
Hi Stephen,

LIMF IXUSA RONOP MEDAM KINES GIGUS BALSI GIPNO RUBLO RUSIT ESIDA LERGA MOKDI OLRAK TBO ORTEZ BIDAC BTZ URUNA SSN BLV LEBB

PMDG 737-NGX
FL=34000ft
Surface VIS at 128
EMUVL off
Update set to 60min 80km

7:48 startup at gate
8:25 update (CS, but little)
8:32 update (CS, but little)
Update set to 60min 160km
8:42 update (CS, but little)
9:01 update (CS, but little)
9:13 at 253km from DEST ACTUAL
9:26 pass 18000ft (NO UPDATE)
9:27 LAST update at about 16000ft (CS, but little)
~9:40 landing

There were VIS SHIFTS along the way, but this is normal in this beta.
ENABLE WIND STABILISATION is disabled as soon as you open the FSI Server.

Nice flight with no unexpected wind shifts.

Regards,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2018 at 9:33am
Thanks for the report.

I have possible solutions for vis smoothing which I am preparing to try out. As you know the sim (P3D) is not capable of rendering lateral vis changes hence any change manifests itself as a sudden global change in the VF vis. I think I can smooth this out but it also depends how the sim reacts to minor changes to its VF effect. I think it will work.

I have made some more improvements to DWC and also still optimising the cloud smoothing at lower altitude levels. The new wind stabilisation option will turn off the old stabilisation options thus preventing the previous altitude zone updates.

I will post the next beta as soon as it’s ready and continue working to prepare the new vis smoothing ready for testing. As it doesn’t seem to make too much difference I will try my Update Distance at 160km as well, will make a better default.

Regards
Stephen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic