SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No Water Textures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wgills502 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Water Textures
    Posted: July-14-2017 at 3:33pm
I recently downloaded Ground Environment Pro (GEX) and Ultimate Terrain v 2.3 from Flight One. I flew a Moony Bravo over San Francisco Bay but there is no Bay, only ground textures (trees, buildings, etc, thousands of them. No visible water anywhere. In GEX I ran the program as "administrator" and cleared the Autogen Forest Fix by disabling it, but that didn't do the trick. Any idea what may be a solution to this problem? What fun is flying without the realism I am trying to achieve.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2017 at 7:02pm
The issue is some addon has damaged or is not allowing access to the terrain.cfg, or, Windows is blocking access.

GEX is just textures and does not use the terrain.cfg or scenery library. It will not effect water in any way.

Usually this issue is caused by Orbx products messing up the terrain.cfg when Ultimate Terrain is added, however it could also be from the Windows UAC system not allowing Ultimate Terrain interface access to the terrain.cfg. Make sure to run the UTX Config tool 'As Administrator.

If you have any Orbx products installed, they may be the issue.

I moved this to the Ultimate Terrain support forum. GEX wont have anything to do with this issue.
wgills502 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wgills502 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2017 at 1:33pm
I uninstalled and reinstalled UTX and ran as administrator, which solved the problem.  I have water textures and the trees are showing up where they should, thanks NickN. 

New problem:  Some of the land textures appear angel white in the distance, like irrigation systems spraying water into the air.  They fade as you get closer or fly over them.  Is there some adjustment I need to make in the setup of UTX?
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2017 at 11:28pm
This is more likely that your graphics card is having issues swapping the textures in and out of memory. This is more a resource issue than something in UTX or GEX. You'll need to adjust your FSX settings to reduce the scenery load.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
wgills502 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wgills502 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2017 at 5:55pm
Thanks Jeff for your reply. I've adjusted my FSX display settings in all sorts of ways: set graphics to low, Aircraft to medium high, weather low.   If I drop my scenery to low I lose the white textures, but sacrifice land based details with buildings, bridges, roads, etc rendering UTX useless. Maybe some sort of "customized" adjustment in FSX is needed? Most everything is set low right now. Any other ideas welcome!
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2017 at 11:01pm
Based on your comments it seems to validate my previous statement that it is a resource issue with you system i.e. the CPU and/or video card is not up to running FSX with multiple add-ons installed.

Can you provide details of your PC i.e. CPU speed, amount of memory, graphics card make/model and memory size, OS, etc..

Also indicate what other FSX add-ons you may be running e.g. weather apps, AI apps, etc., and whether you are running any resource intensive aircraft add-ons e.g. PMDG.

Jeff

wgills502 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wgills502 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 12:26pm
Capacity: 916GB, CPU: 3.6GHZ, Memory: 16GB, Graphics card: AMD Radeon (TM)RX560, Intel(R)HD Graphics 630, OS: Windows 10 Home.

FSX add-ons: GEX, UNX, UTX and I just added Active Sky 2012. No fancy aircraft at this point.

Now that I look at it I wonder if my graphics card needs to be beefed up...Other thought, I should uninstall GEX and reinstall as administrator (which I may or may not have done - don't remember)

Thanks for your help Jeff
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 6:34pm
Yes, that video card is an average performer at best.

The addition of Active Sky will have also added a lot more load to your system and FSX and along with other add-ons like UTX will tax your CPU. Did you install the high-resolution clouds with Active Sky? These again cause additional load.

Do you see the same issues with Active Sky disabled?

Jeff

wgills502 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wgills502 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 12:24pm
Same problem with Active Sky disabled.

What video card would you recommend to run FSX with all the add-ons above. I'm also considering Birds Eye View and additional aircraft.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 5:02pm
FSX is CPU intensive as it does not offload much to the GPU. So while improving the GPU will help somewhat with everything you are running and looking to add, your system just isn't going to get good performance unless you improve the CPU and/or do things like turn down scenery settings, do not use high resolution (4096) cloud textures and keep the weather with clear skies. My old system was similar spec to yours and I would not consider running any weather app on it as framerate and texture loading would suffer.

Everything is a trade-off when running FSX and you need to find the right balance between hardware, FSX settings, 3rd-party add-ons (scenery, aircraft, weather, AI), and what else is running in the background when you run FSX (anti-virus/anti-malware, start-ups, etc.).

As an FYI, are you talking about Birds Eye View ground textures? That was an FS2004 product which is no longer under development and cannot be used in FSX.

Jeff

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic