SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New GPU with ASUS Z87-A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driver170 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New GPU with ASUS Z87-A
    Posted: April-13-2018 at 10:06am
Going to pull the plug and get myself a GTX1080ti as i'm running a samsung 78' 4k tv and need more juice.

Someone just told me i should also upgrade my Motherboard and CPU as its an old generation.

If i decide to get a Intel z270 what Intel CPU should i get?

Or is my CPU and MB still capable or is it time to upgrade.
Overclocked Intel Core i7-4770k Quad Core, ASUS Z87-A EVGA GTX 980ti
robmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2018 at 11:02am
Before you take that advice there's was a discussion here last year you definitely want to read: http://www.simforums.com/Forums/7th-and-8th-gen-pc-and-windows-7_topic59143.html

As you can see from my sig I made the decision to upgrade to a 1080Ti (from a 980) in Feb even though I paid somewhat over the odds for the card (but not too much).

I saw a definite benefit and avoided the cost and hassle of effectively building a new system.

Technology after Haswell does offer improvements but not so much for raw performance so there are pros and cons.

Having said that, if you get the 1080Ti and try it with your current system you've lost nothing if you decide it doesn't offer enough improvement as you can use the same card with a newer platform.

By all accounts a good 1080Ti will still be a top GPU through most of this year and does work well with a Haswell based system.

Rob
i7 4790K @4.4 GHz, Asus Z97 Deluxe, 8GB 2400 DDR3, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, Samsung SSDs 850 Pro + WD HD, Windows 7 Pro 64.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2018 at 11:03pm
Rob is correct
As long as you have a reasonably clocked Haswell setup you have the CPU and memory buss ability already. You also have PCIe3 available.  
Given that, if this is about recent P3D, what you need is the better video card.

That being said, if you are a scenery junkie who just cant get past loading your sim to the hilt, nothing you do will allow that to happen.

Driver170 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driver170 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2018 at 8:02am
GTX1080ti it is then! I have a good system and a good clock from the Haswell guide and I don’t run any daft settings. I do however use ORBX scenery.
Overclocked Intel Core i7-4770k Quad Core, ASUS Z87-A EVGA GTX 980ti
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic