SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Scenery and Mission Making Tools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need a working windsock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPSflyin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a working windsock
    Posted: March-11-2010 at 8:06am

I'm using AFX 1.09 + IS 1.04 to improve a default airport in FSX.

Microsoft placed the windsock in the wrong location in this airport, so I have created an exclude rectangle to get rid of it.  OK, that works perfectly.

Now I need to use IS to plant a new windsock in the correct location.  There seems to be a generic one in the airport_objects library {c545a273-e2ec-11d2-9c84-00105a0ce62a}  I have no trouble planting it exactly where it is in real life, and it shows up in FS.

But this windsock in non-functioning (it does not react to wind conditions like the default windsocks that Microsoft planted at all the default airports).  It also displays as all-gray (the sock is not orange, the entire object is completely dark gray and not animated).

Where do I find a working (and correctly colored) windsock that I can place with IS?  Where can I get my hands on the default windsock that Microsoft used?

FSDiscoverer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSDiscoverer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 11:16am
Default windsocks are not supported by Instant Scenery at the present, sorry. They are not scenery objects.

JPSflyin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPSflyin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 12:40pm

OK, so I can't use AFX or Instant Scenery to move the stock windsock or place a new windsock.

If the default windsocks are not scenery objects then I'm guessing they are pieces of XML code or a similar FS-specific construct.

Can you tell me which of these files (which define the stock 1B6 airport) would contain the stock windsock(s) for the airport:

Scenery\0302\scenery\APX28170.bgl <--most likely candidate
Scenery\0302\scenery\BRX28170.bgl
Scenery\0302\scenery\cvx2817.bgl

I'm not shy about digging into data files, even if it's with a binary editor in one hand and a SDK in the other.

FSDiscoverer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSDiscoverer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 12:51pm
I don't know exactly, but my guess would be the OBX* files. APX files contain taxiway signs, but no other 3D stuff.

You can exclude the default windsock using AFX and just compile an XML file per hand using the SDK. If you do not have the FSX SDK, you can use the FS2004 SDK for making windsocks - they are compatible with DX10.

JPSflyin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPSflyin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 5:13pm

I have FSX Deluxe with Accelleration Pack, so I have the latest SDK.

The SDK's help file explains how to create an XML definition for a windsock and how to compile it into a .bgl using bglcomp.exe.  Then just move the resulting .bgl file into Addon Scenery/scenery.  Quick and easy.

For those following along at home, here's my new windsock for 1B6. I changed the color of the pole to black, because that's what it's like in real life:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<FSData
     version="9.0"
     xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
     xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd" >

<SceneryObject
      lat="N42 6.279"
      lon="W71 30.586"
      alt="0"
      altitudeIsAgl="TRUE"
      pitch="0"
      bank="0"
      heading="0"
      imageComplexity="VERY_SPARSE">

<Windsock
      poleHeight="5.5"
      sockLength="3.5"
      lighted="TRUE">
      <PoleColor red="48" blue="48" green="48"/>
      <SockColor red="255" blue="128" green="128"/>
</Windsock>

</SceneryObject>
</FSData>

I believe you can put more than just the windsock into the same XML file (buildings, objects, beacons, etc.) and compile them all into one .bgl file to go along with your airport file.

Star Thanks for your advice.  I'm headed down the road in the right direction now.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic