SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Flight One Product Support
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - McAfee Users - Important Information and Warning
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

McAfee Users - Important Information and Warning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: McAfee Users - Important Information and Warning
    Posted: February-13-2009 at 5:44pm

McAfee security products have been recently causing many customers problems due to McAfee deleting some files in error, such as the flt1chk4.dll or similar. But there is more to it than this, and it could leave you in a position with other software becoming disabled at undesired times.

It appears the Home version of McAfee DOES NOT have a default method to exclude files like most other scanners (the McAfee Business and Enterprise versions seem to have this feature enabled). This leaves home version users with no options (initially) shoud a file get mistakenly removed by McAfee, and can cause you a lot of extra work to restore your files. There may be a possible workaround... McAfee can issue you a file called Extra.DAT. This will prevent the files from being scanned. You have to get this from McAfee. See http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=224799 for more information.

You can get some of the replacement DLL's via http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24061. Send them these files, or any file you still have that is being flagged incorrectly, and ask for the Extra.dat file in return.

Our warning: This is a tough situation for McAfee customers. Not allowing exclusions for Home customers is a huge error and quite remarkable in my opinion. Just think what could happen if McAfee accidentally deletes a file that is very important to you, and you need to use that software. We DO NOT RECOMMEND you use McAfee until they add exclusions to their interface.  This is regardless of whether you use Flight1 products or not. McAfee told me that it is when they get enough reports of a false-positive that they will fix their regular virus definition files to stop reporting the false-positive, but waiting for this may not be a good option for you. And to leave you with no alternative in the interum, unless you disable or unintall McAfee, is quite unbelievable. Yes, there is the Extra.dat option, but until you can get that, you may be unable to use your application.

Lets hope McAfee can fix this problem soon. We will see what we can do to help also. In the mean time, we recommend NOD32... http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.php. We have had a few false positives with them over the years, as with other scanners, but NOD32 is fully configurable. If you go to the NOD32 site, you want the Anti Virus product. The Smart Security product is more expensive, and adds an extra firewall which we do not recommend, especially if you have Vista and a router or modem with a firewall already in it.

False-Positves are fairly common in the software industry, so if you ever have a question about a file, do feel free to ask questions in the forum.

Update....

It appears flt1chk4.dll from the link above is now OK. See below.

AVERT Labs - Beaverton
Current Scan Engine Version:5300.2777
Current DAT Version:5525.0000
Thank you for your submission.

Analysis ID: 5135798

Name Findings Detection Type Extra
flt1chk4.dll no malware no

no malware [ flt1chk4.dll ]
Avert Labs has found no indications of malicious code. Upon examining the file we observed no malicious behavior.

Regards,

McAfee AVERT tm
A division of McAfee, Inc

Steve

Matt_B View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 9:20am
I tried the link to McAfee - doesn't work.
Matt

alastairmonk View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alastairmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 5:01pm
Hi Matt,

As the initial posting is now well over two years old, this isn't all that surprising. The obvious solution is NOT to use McAffee but another more reliable/accommodating application.

Alastair

Core i5 3570K overclocked to 4.7GHz, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GTX 680 graphics, Win 7 64-bit

AOPA #04634067
Matt_B View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 6:04pm
Yeah, unfortunately this is the anti-virus software that came pre-installed on my new Dell PC.
Matt

ubersu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubersu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 6:40pm
Remove it and get MS Security Essentials for free... it's an excellent piece of software.

DJ
Overshoe View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Overshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by ubersu ubersu wrote:

Remove it and get MS Security Essentials for free... it's an excellent piece of software.

DJ

Agreed. It works great, has low overhead and so far I have had no false positives.
Tom Constantine

http://mainescenery.proboards.com/
willhauck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willhauck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 10:58pm
OK it is now the middle of 2011.... Is this still valid???
Louis E Willhauck
evren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 6:04pm
no willhauck .. new mcaffee software version eliminates all of the problems :) you are safe :D
Laurieltw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurieltw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2011 at 7:09pm
Well I sure hope your correct on that asumption. Mcafee unfortunatly is supplied with Yahoo/Bt account. I have only one problem with it,  Rex is barred from updating during a flight due to its firewall I have allowed it to pass through both ways but still get the warning to configure McAfee to allow REX to update, so I just turn the wall off during a flight of any duration. I have had no problems with Flight 1 products with regards this issue to date.
Any more confirmations that McAfee now does now have a default method to exclude files will be helpfull.
Mrmartinnico View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrmartinnico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2013 at 4:36pm
this topic hast 9 replies, can anyone freaking helop me with my post ?
i7-3770 @3.9 GHZ 8GB Ram AMD 7570
dabscheck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabscheck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 8:24pm
Thanks Heaps Steve. Bought a new you beaut Laptop tother day 2 months ago  plenty of grunt for FSX.

Loading times long. Most disappointing. Found out I had a free McCafee and read your post. Mccafee is gone gone. Load times are chalk and cheese and maybe othe probs will be resolved. Back to security essentials for me. I had some time to run on Mccafee but who cares Thanks once again.
ubersu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubersu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by dabscheck dabscheck wrote:

Thanks Heaps Steve. Bought a new you beaut Laptop tother day 2 months ago  plenty of grunt for FSX.

Loading times long. Most disappointing. Found out I had a free McCafee and read your post. Mccafee is gone gone. Load times are chalk and cheese and maybe othe probs will be resolved. Back to security essentials for me. I had some time to run on Mccafee but who cares Thanks once again.

If you are running Win10 you do not need McAfee or any other A/V program - Defender now incorporates MS Security Essentials.

DJ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic