SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Landclass and how it effects what you see

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kensei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 4:36am

You're right about my "minute" reply...I took that much time to get myself a cup of coffee LOL With my latest try-out it was actually a couple of seconds before the terrain was loaded properly.

As for the PSU...yup, you're spot on with your comment. I've seen those issues myself too. However...I build my rigs myself and know what I do and how much power it needs. People sometimes forget that upping the ante with a more powerfull CPU and videocard also implies a higher powerconsumption. On the other hand I've seen enough kiddies putting a whopping 1,2kW PSU in an old PC with an 1,8Ghz CPU, a Geforce 7600 and 1 320GB HDD Cry

Eric

I7 920@3,8GHz | 6GB DDR3 | Asus P6T v2 | eVGA GTX275FTW | 80GB SSD | 2 Spinpoint 320Gb | 1 Spinpoint 1TB | HP w2408 TFT | VRinsight MCPcombo | GF TQ&T8 | CH yoke&rudder | Synology DS710+ 4TB
Kensei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 2:33pm

Well, after turning down some sliders the textures are applied faster (still not great mind you, but at least it's a big improvement).

Current settings:

Turned boats, cars etc to 0%. Now I noticed what Nick and Rick were saying...scenery/textures are offloaded to the 2nd core. After turning down the sliders the 2nd core dropped to about 86%. Core #1 remains 100% but that's supposed to be normal as I've read in numurous topics on this great forum.

I7 920@3,8GHz | 6GB DDR3 | Asus P6T v2 | eVGA GTX275FTW | 80GB SSD | 2 Spinpoint 320Gb | 1 Spinpoint 1TB | HP w2408 TFT | VRinsight MCPcombo | GF TQ&T8 | CH yoke&rudder | Synology DS710+ 4TB
FalconAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FalconAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 2:57pm
Reducing your Mesh Complexity has a very real impact.  The number of data points FSX has to calculate is vastly reduced, especially with higher resolution Terrain Mesh.  I rarely run my mesh slider at more than 90%, but then only with a low and slow aircraft that doesn't fly over the terrain very fast.  At higher altitudes and faster speeds ("airliner"), I'll crank it down to 80% or so.  From 10K feet above the ground, you can't see the difference between a 10-meter mesh vs a 5-meter mesh anyhow, as far as DETAILS are concerned.  The fewer terrain data points FSX has to calculate, FOLLOWED BY laying those textures on top of them, makes a difference.  If FSX is still calculating terrain data points, it's kinda hard for it to "already" be updating textures on the terrain.  The textures have to wait.
Kensei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 3:24pm

Originally posted by FalconAF FalconAF wrote:

Reducing your Mesh Complexity has a very real impact.  The number of data points FSX has to calculate is vastly reduced, especially with higher resolution Terrain Mesh.  I rarely run my mesh slider at more than 90%, but then only with a low and slow aircraft that doesn't fly over the terrain very fast.  At higher altitudes and faster speeds ("airliner"), I'll crank it down to 80% or so.  From 10K feet above the ground, you can't see the difference between a 10-meter mesh vs a 5-meter mesh anyhow, as far as DETAILS are concerned.  The fewer terrain data points FSX has to calculate, FOLLOWED BY laying those textures on top of them, makes a difference.  If FSX is still calculating terrain data points, it's kinda hard for it to "already" be updating textures on the terrain.  The textures have to wait.

So...what are you saying? Smile Keep it this way or change some sliders? (since it isn't always clear what slider does what exactly and what impact does a slider have where on the CPU)

FalconAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FalconAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 3:33pm

Eric,

OK, let me try and say this one more time...

NOBODY can give you a definite answer to that question.  YOU have to experiment withyour own computer, the type of flying you are doing, etc, etc.  As Nick has said in some of his posts, INCREASING the Autogen slider will in some cases IMPROVE performance in FSX.  Sounds backwards...but it's true.

The above reasons are why many people have and use multiple FSX.CFG files.  They configure the CFG file with settings pertaining to the TYPE of flying they will be doing.  Low and slow VFR, highe(er) and fast(er) "airliner" routes, different weather conditions...it ALL makes a difference UNLESS you have a computer that is 100% capable of running FSX with EVERYTHING maxed out to begin with.

You gotta do the experimenting yourself...for YOUR computer.  Keep notes if you have to.  NOBODY can tell you that "the first thing" you should turn down is Terrain Mesh, or Autogen, or AI.  What do YOU want to see in FSX?  Then adjust ALL the sliders to allow that.  Then THAT CFG file will be what "works" for you for the type of flying you are "experimenting" with.  Either SAVE that CFG file separately for future use, or make "notes" of the slider settings in it so you can manually adjust them for that type of flying later.

Rick 

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2009 at 5:51pm

Guys..

This thread is going in a direction it was never intended to go. This kind of discussion is better for a thread that is specific to a performance issue

I donít have time to analyze a blur problem but I can tell just by browsing through the posts the problem is more than likely centered with a combination of issues, a weak PSU being suspect too but not defined as such at this time without more information on the PSU specs

As for PSU..   750 is more than enough for a single monitor/single video card system even uberclocked on i7. The only time one needs to consider higher is for dual cards in which SLi is as useless as boobs on a bull to FSX for performance and dual core cards will never be used. And there is another issue with dual cards, the motherboard BIOS may reduce the PCIe slot bandwidth to run more that one. Some do, some do not so if a user wishes to run more than one card for MM use they must make sure they are using a platform that will allow x16 operation on both card ports at all times.

A 520W PSU IS BORDERLINE for this kind of clock and video card..  Unless that PSU has a VERY HIGH efficiency rating, I would suggest a MINIMUM of 600 for the system being presented here and the clocks involved.

600 MINIMUM, 650 preferred

The hardware involved is DDR2 800 and that is not helping things. At 4GHz there is a major bottleneck going on here between the video card which can handle i7 @ 4Ghz on DDR3 1600 spankin that memory and being bottlenecked at the northbridge.

My money is on a combination of problems here..   the OS setup, possibly background activity from startup programs, the defrag method in use (If FSX is not on SSD but there is another issue with SSD on the SATA buss noted below), and last that massive bottleneck between the video card and the processor at the memory. Dual core is also not helping things but adding in a Quad would then further bottleneck that northbridge and the current PSU would NOT run a Quad in a clock.

The best you can do with DDR2 memory is right around DDR2 1066-1100 @ 5-5-5 timing unless you can find memory that will run 4-4-4 at that spec.

Now, I am ASSUMING this dual core is not being run at its TOP END for heat spec too. Make sure that proc under a 1hr OCCT load test does not exceed 80c

I see no reason to drop the sliders as shown above. The mesh complexity is not going to hit the system very hard nor will special effects. Traffic, weather, scenery complexity and autogen are the major players involved. Mesh Complexity 80-100% is fine, Scenery Complexity to a minimum of DENSE.

A VERY DENSE scenery complexity setting enables the moving jetways at airports which is why that setting can hit a system already under stress. Past that most system should be able to run ďVERY DENSEĒ SC with the CPU speed shown with this system. Traffic/Weather and Autogen is where this system is being nailed due to the CPU type, the memory type and speed, and the bottleneck at the northbridge.

My advice is to:

1. Review the system for the clock, make sure the clock is using at least a 333 or 400MHz CPU STRAP which will lower the northbridge latency and allow a bit better communication with the money. If it isnít, then reconfigure the clock to use the 333 or 400MHz STRAP.

2. Confirm this system is not overheating in any way. A borderline PSU can heat up and drop current to the system even if it runs the devices, that means a PSU of such borderline specs can work but the system drops in performance as the load increases.  http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=263274

3. Go through the OS and set it up right. I donít know what OS is involved but there is a complete list to work through here: http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208959973

If itís W7 the Vista links should provide the same settings in W7 but you will need convert the Vista settings I posted to W7 and make the same changes.

4. Use the right defrag software and the list I provided to set it up,.,, and donít skip operations. BUT DO NOT DEFRAG A SSD DRIVE. Always do the defrag clean ups the mechanical drives but never defrag a SSD

5. If you use FSX with Vista or W7 make sure it is NOT installed to PROGRAM FILES. A 2nd drive with no partitions is the best way, installed into the OS drive on the 1st partition is the 2nd best in its own folder on the root named:  FSX   or what ever melts your butter.

I use XPx64 and thats where FSX is staying till MS releases a SP for W7 at which time I will evalaute it again.

6. BE AWARE that running SSD and a huge list of SATA drives on the motherboard SATA ports will saturate that SATA buss to the MAX. SSD alone wants 250MB/s of that buss which MAXES at 384MB/s with port restrictions.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=32455&PID=187501#187501

And lets leave the performance discussion for another thread started specifically for this discussion, and start a new one where you can continue this.

Ruski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 9:41pm

Hello

I'd read your post about organization of scenery files in the hard disk, but I run FSX in windows 7 and that method don't work. When I select the directory above scenery folder (with bgl files) nothing is selected!! No area is added to the scenery list. Know you about this in Windows 7? Thanks

FalconAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FalconAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Ruski Ruski wrote:

Hello

I'd read your post about organization of scenery files in the hard disk, but I run FSX in windows 7 and that method don't work. When I select the directory above scenery folder (with bgl files) nothing is selected!! No area is added to the scenery list. Know you about this in Windows 7? Thanks

Yup.  I wrote that tutorial 18 months ago.  That's how it works in XP and Vista.

There is a different method you have to use to add addon folders to the Scenery Libray using Win7.  Do you know how to do that?  Thanks.

EDIT:  Here's how you do it:  http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=205432

Ruski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 2:11pm
Hello Falcon your help was very useful. The scenery installed well now. Thanks and better regards!
B42L8 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B42L8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 8:48pm
First, thanks for te helpful info on "landclass"", I think I have some idea of what it is now........concerning the FSGenesis National Landclass, I had trouble getting the download to go into my 7C/downloads/Scenery payware/FSGenesis Landclass/scenery folder, so I dragged the bgl file into that location.......then started FSX, got to the Scenery Library, did the "Add" and clicked on the FSGenesis Landclass folder, but now it will not go into the Library??..it has an open label for the "directory", that confuses me????????  Why won;t this bgl go into the library??.........hate to bother you on this but sounds like you have a bunch of great suggestions and I want to get it right!!..............Once it does go tho the library, I will put between the "URBAN" and the "VEGETATION", correct??       B42L8
bankheadd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bankheadd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2010 at 7:45am
Originally posted by FalconAF FalconAF wrote:

NickN,

Just a suggestion.  I spent several of my 25 years in the Air Force as an Instructor ("teacher") and it occurs to me that "inexperienced users" of GEXen and Multiple Landclass addons might run into a problem setting all this stuff up correctly.  It hasn't been addressed above anywhere yet, so....

The "problem" is making sure the multiple Landclass addons are really being added correctly to FSX in the Scenery Library.  For instance:

1.  FS Genesis Landclass comes as a single .bgl file.  In order to use it as a "multiple landclass" addon, you need to create a folder (usually under the FSX "Addon Scenery" folder) with a subfolder called Scenery for the .bgl file.  So the FSX directory would have, "Addon Scenery\FS Genesis USA Landclass\Scenery", with the .bgl file in the "Scenery" folder.   Then in the Scenery Library, you add it by clicking on the "FS Genesis USA Landclass" folder, then add it.

2.  But this is NOT how it will work with the Scenery Tech landclass if the user selects the "default" installation location when installing the Scenery Tech landclass.  The installation will put the landclass in, "FSX\Scenery Tech\Landclass\NA\Scenery".  The .bgl file is 4 folders down in the sub-directory in this case.  In order to add it to the FSX Scenery Library, the user has to select the folder IMMEDIATELY ABOVE the folder where the .bgl file is located...in this case, the "NA" folder.  They can rename the Scenery Library entry at this point so that what shows up as the "title" in the Scenery Library makes sense ("NA" certainly wouldn't), then they add the scenery and are good to go.

I'm just thinking that there may be "new FSX users" who aren't all that familiar with working with the Scenery Library, and they may think they have actually added some landclass addons when they haven't (like if they selected the "Scenery Tech" folder above instead of the "NA" folder, then exited the Scenery Library).  This would prevent them from getting the benefits of the landclass and your outstanding textures (and could contribute to forum posts like, "I don't see any difference in the landclass addons!")  Smile 

Not trying to re-invent the wheel here.  Just want to possibly help out any "new users" who don't have the experience some of us old timer's have with Flight Simulator.

FalconAF 

I tried this methed for installing my FSGenesis LC into the FSX scenery library but but it's working out for me. It won't allow me to add it to the library. The path I'm trying is: FSX,ADD-ON SCENERY,FSGLC,SCENERY,.BGL, but when I click to add to my library nothing happens? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong?
Don
i7 980x @ 4.3GB/12GB 1600/ EVGA GTX 580SC/X-Fi Pro/Crucial MX100 512GB FSX /Crucial MX300 1TB WIN7 /SAMSUNG 24" PX2370/ENERMAX REV85+ 950/SilverStone TJ11 /H80iX
FLighT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLighT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2010 at 9:00am
I think there's something quirky about adding scenery to FSX when you use WIN7. I think instead of clicking on OK or ADD you just click anywhere in the window itself to add. I'm still on Vista64 so I'm not very familiar with it. Try a Forums search for "adding" or "adding scenery" and see what comes up.
Kensei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 11:42am
Am I correct when I want to divide add-ons from FSX with this setup:

F-drive
- FSX with UT installed incl airports atc...

H-drive
- FSGlobal
- GEX
- MegasceneryX Southern California
- SceneryTech landclass

I thought, after remembering Falcon's posting, this should be OK, also performance wise? Or do I need to move the landclassfiles?
FalconAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FalconAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 12:08pm
Kensei,

Looking at your list of hardware, it depends.  You have an 80GB SSD, 2-320GB in RAID-0, and a 1-TB....4 different hard drives.  Which ones are the F: and H: drives?  Is the SSD being used for your Operating System only, or is it your FSX drive?  Give me a list of your hard drives saying which is which...by letter designaton and the drives shown above, and what you intend to use each drive for (Operating System, FSX main installation, FSX addons, etc).  Which drive is your OS on now?

FalconAF
Kensei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 4:12am
Hi Falcon,

My bad Smile I should have posted it here.

My RAID0 is since last weekend End Of Life...it's back to two independent 320GB disks again.
My OS WIN7 x64 runs on 1, FSX is installed on the SSD, the add-ons like FSGlobal etc are installed on the 2nd 320GB disk.
That way I kept all things apart from eachother...FSX has it's own drive like Nick advised (SSD in my case). All add-ons are also on it's own drive (320GB).

The SSD is labeled F: , the add-on drive is labeld H:

The 1TB disk is just a storage drive and isn't used actively.
FalconAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FalconAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 8:47am
OK.  The FSX SSD drive is gonna be much faster than the "addon" 320 GB Spinpoint (7200 RPM) drive.  So, depending on how large your OVERALL FSX installation will be, you need to look at some options.

1.  If your TOTAL FSX installation (main FSX install up through any Service Packs or Acceleration, AND any addons mentioned in paragraph 2a below), PLUS all your (other) addons, will fit on the SSD drive alone (reasonably...not maxed out using all 80 GB of it), I'd create a "main" FSX "folder" for your primary FSX install (includes any Service Packs or Acceleration plus any addons from paragraph 2a below), and a SEPARATE folder for your (other) addons.  Then link the (other) addons to the FSX Scenery Library from the folder(s) they are in.  This will keep your main FSX installation "pure" in it's own folder.  You could uninstall / re-install FSX again if you had to (up through and including Acceleration...you would also have to re-install items from paragraph 2a below), then just re-link all your (other)addons back to the new Scenery Library.  The advantage here is that EVERYTHING used by FSX will benefit from the speed of the SSD drive...FSX and all your addons are on the SSD drive  Examples of addons you WOULD want on the SSD drive would be things like your Terrain Mesh.  FSX will continually be "calling" for the elevation data points for the ground as you fly along.  The faster it can get the info, the less likely you will encounter "pauses" or "stutters" or "late updating terrain" as you fly along.

2.  If, however, your total FSX installation including addons would not fit on the SSD drive alone (my total FSX plus addons right now exceeds 800 GB), then you need to look at what you would want as far as addons to benefit from the SSD drive speed.  Put those addons in a separate folder on the SSD drive and link them to the Scenery Library (like the Terrain Mesh mentioned in #1 above).  Any other addons that "won't fit" on the SSD drive after that...put on the Spinpoint 320 GB drive and link them to the Scenery Library.  Those will get used by FSX as needed, but only at the rate of 7200 RPM's when FSX "calls" for them.

Couple things to remember:

1a.  Your "main" FSX folder on the SSD drive...your "original FSX installation"...will include ALL PRIMARY parts of FSX (Service Packs and / or Acceleration), AND anything mentioned in paragtraph 2a below (see #2a immediately below).

2a.  Some addons REQUIRE that you add them to your main FSX folder (unless you really, REALLY know how to "get around" this...and then it usually isn't worth it).  Things like Ultimate Terrain X, ORBX, etc.  Plan on having to install these addons to your "main" FSX folder, and consider the final size of that folder when done (that will determine how much space you will have left on the SSD drive for OTHER "addons" in their own separate folder(s) on the SSD drive (outside of the main FSX folder).

3a.  Do NOT put anything like GEX (or any other addon that uses an "interface" to only "replace textures" in the main FSX folder) on the SSD drive, OR on the Spinright 320 GB drive you may use for other "addons".  You "run" these type of programs BEFORE FSX is running...to simply install (COPY !!!) textures INTO FSX.  You don't want something like GEX "installed" on ANY drive FSX actually "accesses" while running FSX.  For instance, I have all my GEX products INSTALLED on external hard drives.  I "run" them from there if I want to use their interfaces to change textures in FSX.  Then I run FSX, and it doesn't have to "sift through" all those files from the GEX installation (that were ALREADY copied into FSX) while using the "real time" files from other addons installed on your SSD or "addon" 320 GB drive.  In other words, if FSX isn't gonna use the main GEX program while FSX is running (it doesn't), don't INSTALL GEX on your SSD or 320 GB "addon" hard drive.  It just increases the number of files FSX has to sift through on those drives to find what it needs.

Hope the above helps.  What you will end up doing will be determined by the "final size" of your overall FSX and the addons you have.  Just use some logic about what FSX needs the "fastest" while running, put those things on the SSD drive, and any "leftover" addons on the 320 GB drive, and go from there.

Rick          
Kensei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 2:54pm
Hi Rick,

Just to let you know that i'm in the proces of re-installing the whole lot according to your specs/advice. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your reply and help!

A little update:
I'm installing, as you advised, all non-relevant stuff like TOPCAT, RadarContact, FSBuild, GEX on my 1st 320GB HDD where the OS also resides.
I then install scenery related stuff on my 2nd 320GB HDD (disk is only going to be used for FSX related add-ons that don't fit on the SSD
FSX and the directly related add-ons that can't be 'moved' to the 2nd 320GB disk will be installed on the SSD

I only wonder if FSGlobal and small landclassfiles from scenerytech should preferably installed on the SSD. I guess that FSGlobal files and landclasfiles are accessed frequently during a flight and therefore should benefit from the SSD.

I do know for sure that not everything will fit on the SSD.
FalconAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FalconAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 5:05pm
I'd put your FS Global on the FSX SSD drive.  I don't have it, but according to the Flight1 website, it is about 13.1 GB.  It should fit OK even with a "full" FSX install up through and including any Service Packs or Acceleration.  FSX is going to be constantly using the FS Global files as you fly along to update the terrain mesh data points.  Get your terrain mesh on the fastest drive along with FSX.

Landclass:  Do the same.  Most landclass products are VERY small in storage size, and they should fit on your FSX SSD drive with no problem.

You should have plenty of room on the SSD for the "required" stuff.  I have all my terrain mesh products (everything available from FSGenesis) and Landclass products, all the UTX products, and MANY other addons (other large scenery products, complex aircraft like PMDGs, complex third-party airports, etc, that I want FSX to be able to "get to" as fast as possible) on my main FSX drive, and I am only using about 70 GB of the drive (a V-Rap).  The other 700+ GB of my "addons" is on a separate 2-Terabyte WD Caviar Black (about 50% of that 700 GB is photoscenery, which I like to use once in a while).  It all works very well, even when using my TripleHead2Go 22" 3-wide monitors setup.  No stutters, pauses, etc while flying in FSX.      
Kensei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 3:29am
Maybe it's better if we continue via PM so as not to get this topic all filled up with things that aren't related primairily to landclassfiles?
So..please chack your mail Wink
Swanny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2010 at 11:43pm
Nick, I am getting UTX, GEX and scenery tech for the rural areas. I am extremely puzzled and bewildered be all of this info and never realised it was this complicated! Like wise with this topic of yours:
Is there anyone I can pay to do It all the installing for me Tongue?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2010 at 3:39am
Originally posted by Swanny Swanny wrote:

Nick, I am getting UTX, GEX and scenery tech for the rural areas. I am extremely puzzled and bewildered be all of this info and never realised it was this complicated! Like wise with this topic of yours:
Is there anyone I can pay to do It all the installing for me Tongue?

Its not complicated for what you are using

just install UTX and all its patches first..  if you use FSX Acceleration, make sure the UTX Acceleration patch goes in last, then install GEX and make sure its patched fully and install the options..   the landclass can go in at anytime after UTX is installed, just make sure with UTX is listed in the Scenery Library list between

UT LANDCLASS - Urban

SceneryTech Landclass, any version

UT LANDCLASS - Vegetation

Click OK and let the database build.

Rick is helping people with everything from mesh to LC's to disk strategy with this thread.. your case is simple, dont make it complicated

FalconAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FalconAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2010 at 8:14am
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

Rick is helping people with everything from mesh to LC's to disk strategy with this thread.. your case is simple, dont make it complicated

I agree with Nick.  Keep your install simple following his instructions.

Also, keep in mind this thread started 2 and 1/2 years ago in early February 2008.  On 27 Feb 2008, it kinda "morphed" into Terrain Mesh with my "tutorial post" in answer to a poster's question.  Since then, it also "morphed" a couple other directions.  My bad on some of those "morphs".  Embarrassed

But it's still a good "learning" thread.  LOL

Rick (FalconAF) 
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2010 at 10:31am
I have no problem with you helping people with different subjects Rick. You are one of the few that has the background and the experience to do it right.

Psybear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2010 at 10:52am
Agreed.  And he morphs well too!
Win 10x64-256GB 840Pro | P3Dv3.4-512GB 850Pro
Z270 XPower Titanium i7-7700K @4.7GHz-H115i | 32GB TridentZ @3200MHz 14-14-14-34-2N
GTX1070 Quicksilver 378.78
FalconAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FalconAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2010 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

I have no problem with you helping people with different subjects Rick. You are one of the few that has the background and the experience to do it right.

Computers...yeah.  But.....

I just bought me one of them new Sprint cell phones a couple days ago.  Really nice.  Got more buttons and apps on it than my combination TV remote controller.  Touch pads...slide out keyboard...voice recognition...4G...GPS nav...hell, it probably would make my breakfast for me if I knew how to make it do that. 

Can somebody recommend a 12-year old to show me how to use it all?  Confused

I think I accidentally made a call to Outer Mongolia last night on it......  LOL 
KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2011 at 8:50am
New White-Tooth phones coming out end of 2011.
They are installed in a tooth by your dentist. Runs off the electrical current from one's own body/brain. No heaqdphones required as you can hear the call privately in your head!

Can't wait to sink my teeth into this technonogy!
LOL
Flying a 2 Seat Simulator Toronto Canada YouTube:KennyKanada
i7 2600k OC-4.5G, GTX680, P8Z68VPro, Mushkin 8G 9-9-9-24, Corsair1050w, CorsairH90, 256SSD, x2-300VRAP, Epson WXGA PowerLite 1760W, W7x64
mseelbinder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mseelbinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2012 at 1:50pm
(Sorry to extent this thread into 2012...)

I have read the GEX Tropics instructions, and have tried to follow the pertinent discussions in this thread ... and I'm still a bit confused on one question.

I have stuck the Scenery Tech NA Landclass between UT Landclass Urban and UT Landclass - Vegetation, as instructed.

My question regards flying in the US and Canada with UT US and Can, and GEX NA: 

Should I disable the Scenery Tech landclass, so that UT controls the landclass while flying in US and Canada (assuming UT Landclass is "better"), or,

Will Scenery Tech actually enhance the UT and GEX experience in US and Canada?

Thanks for your time.

Mark

FYI:  The following Landclasses currently populate my scenery Library:

25  UT Landclass - Custom (Europe only)
42 UT Landclass - Custom
43 UT Landclass - Urban
45 Scenery Tech NA Landclass
46 Addon Scenery (no landclass in there that I can detect)
47 UT Landclass - Vegetation
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2012 at 1:58pm

Q: I have UTX which is a landclass as I understand it. If I have UTX, I donít need another landclass product, do I?

A: That is up to you. UTX is an excellent product and it provides one of the most detailed urban landclass projects produced however it is targeted at urban areas and as such properly adding and layering other landclass files to the install will increase your show outside of urban developed areas UTX may not cover as well.

Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 3:42pm
This may be a silly question but If I want to install Scenery Tech landclass Europe and North America in a folder on my E drive named Scenery Tech do I need to create that folder before installing the first product or does it create it for me automatically? I would like them installed such as E\Scenery Tech\Landclass\NA\Scenery and E\Scenery Tech\Landclass\EU\Scenery.
Kind regards,
Hans
Hans

W7/64 Ultimate, FSX Gold, SB-E 3930K @ 4.7, Sabertooth X79, GTX580, 4x2GB G.Skill RipjawsZ @ 2133-9-11-10-28-1T, Corsair H110+Obsidian 900D,Seasonic P-1000, GEX, UTX, UT2, REX, S-Tech LC, NGX.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 5:40pm
Landclass files are not that large. You should not be browsing them and simply let them install where the developer outlines which in the case of SceneryTech they install to the FSX install directory and as I recall are added to the scenery library list automatically.

but if you want to install them somewhere other than the FSX, you can do that too
Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2012 at 2:04pm
Thanks Nick. I'm preparing my system for the new GEX Europe and North America releases by adding Scenery Tech Europe and North America landclass. On page one of this thread you mentioned that you (in 2008) used the "Improved Slope Landclass" option with Scenery Tech. Is that statement still valid and something you still consider worth installing?

Edit: The option "Improved Slope Landclass" seems to be available on both the Europe and North America products so if I decide to install it, should I check the option in both products or only when installing the first one?

Kind regards,
Hans
Hans

W7/64 Ultimate, FSX Gold, SB-E 3930K @ 4.7, Sabertooth X79, GTX580, 4x2GB G.Skill RipjawsZ @ 2133-9-11-10-28-1T, Corsair H110+Obsidian 900D,Seasonic P-1000, GEX, UTX, UT2, REX, S-Tech LC, NGX.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 5:12pm
A quick note and vote of appreciation. I came across this discussion and topic searching for answers to FSX performance problems (etc etc). After much careful reading, over and over, I set about reinstalling FSX and adopting all the obvious, commonsense and wise advice that is provided by all and sundry here.

A special thanks to NickN, FalconAF, Psybear, and Holger you have unlocked the mysteries of FSX for me and made that bird fly sweetly. In my previous ignorance I ended up with a system that was simply a mess, ran like a dog with two legs and was a source of continuous frustration, even though I was computer savvy and have some technical expertise in some areas of programming and OS's. Fantastic guys!!

I did a complete fresh install from scratch. I now have no addon scenery in FSX, it is all outside in a separate FSX Scenery ADDON directory and broken down into regions. I have the layers from objects down to mesh layered properly and I understand now how REX and other stuff works as an enhancement. My main FSX is now uncluttered, there is no FSX addon scenery enabled. Best of all a variety of scenery goodies are where they should be and work flawlessly.

Not the end of the story by any means. Still grappling with why ORBX/FTX always wants to be top of the pile, but hey, that is for another day.

A big thanks for many wise words and well done guys.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Fly happy Fly happy wrote:

Edit: The option "Improved Slope Landclass" seems to be available on both the Europe and North America products so if I decide to install it, should I check the option in both products or only when installing the first one?

select it for all of them..
mobsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2012 at 9:21pm
Nick

when you switch between Landclass, do you always have the tick on "Empty Scenery cache on exit" ?

is this necessary every time you add something and/or remove as well ?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2012 at 10:52pm
'Empty Scenery cache on exit'   should be checked and stay checked

you should not have to check it manually.. it should always be enabled by default!

Sent from my iPad on the AT&T Wireless Network
mobsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 6:28pm
If I want to add landclass for AFME, should I place them between the UTX entries like before?

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 7:57pm
As the 1st post says..  everything goes between the 2 UTX entires
mobsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 12:22am
I think it is way better using the default landclass in AFME in most areas, ST Asia makes alot of difference but I don't like how they are clearly pasted on top. I know this is how FSX is and we can still see it in NA & Europe but in Asia it's too much! Anyways GEX AFME Rocks!

here GEX with default

same area with GEX+ST Asia

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 7:47am
It depends on where you fly Mobsky

You cant judge a LC based on one or 2 flights..   and that is also why there is more that one LC as well as the option to switch
mobsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 5:27pm
Nick, I am using Fsgenesis nextmap eu, but I have an issue as you can see the screenshot, I thought it might be a utx problem but I deleted the .bgl file and the issue is gone, i also have your terrain.cfg file, can you please confirm this is a mesh issue?

Fsgenesis mesh

No mesh

2600K@4.8Ghz, 8GB 7-8-8-24-1, EVGA GTX580SC, 480GB SSD for FSX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic