SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Scenery and Mission Making Tools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IOS copy model possible?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hendrik357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOS copy model possible?
    Posted: January-07-2018 at 5:33pm
I have a question: Is it at all possible to create a copy of a model in IOS?

I have built a mining structure which looks great and works very well but I would like to have another of that model I could give different textures to (example) my original model is red but I'd like to have a model I could put a black texture on without having to make a new model just to give it a different paint.

I know it is possible to create model parts as I have done so.

Dan C.
hendrik357
caveman2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caveman2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 12:28pm
It's been so long since I dealt with IOS, but if you have an exported MDL or even if there was a MDL saved to a BGL file I would use Model Converter X (MCX) to adjust the MDL file. Use MCX to open the file, change the GUID, assign a different friendly name, change texture references and save to a new file name. Sounds difficult, but it's really pretty quick and easy to do.
hendrik357 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hendrik357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 3:25pm
Ok thanks for that information. I have the MCX program. I will give it a try and get back to you. Thanks!!
hendrik357
hendrik357 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hendrik357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 4:55pm
I found something even easier to do. All I had to do was save the model in IOS as a copy. I named: object1_copy. It created a new bgl and model that won't conflict with the original. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees LOL. Maybe this will help someone else who wants to make copies of an object.
hendrik357
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic