SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Scenery and Mission Making Tools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInstant Object Studio FAQ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Instant Object Studio FAQ
    Posted: May-28-2012 at 9:17pm
Product demo videos

Official demo video

Making a simple sign    (the Alt+PrintScreen combiation is used to capture a screenshot)

We will add more demo videos later on.

Is it really as easy to use as shown in the demo video?

Yes, it is! The demo video shows several short sessions with Instant Object Studio, with no video editing, apart from transitions between individual scenes.

After having used the product for a while, you will discover that the most difficult part is actually taking dimensions of actual objects, and not modeling them with Instant Object Studio.

Can I try it for free?

We have a free demo version available for download from the product page. The demo version does not save any files, but you can test all other functions with it.

Do I need Instant Scenery to place objects I make?

No, you can create a BGL file with the object already placed. In the product demo video, the house object is saved this way - it immediately appears in the scenery when you save it, and stays visible when you close Instant Object Studio.

But if you want to create a model library and make a separate placement BGL file for it (e.g. to place many copies of the same model), you will need Instant Scenery.

Can I make scenery libraries with Instant Object Studio?

Yes, you can! Instant Object Studio will automatically create the corresponding description file used by Instant Scenery. If you are using Instant Scenery version 2.03 or above, any models you save immediately become available in IS without having to restart Flight Simulator.

Do I have to constantly move my aircraft around the object I am building?

Yes. When building a 3D object, you often have to change the viewpoint and the view direction, and the viewpoint is attached to the user aircraft. Moving the aircraft is very easy in Instant Object Studio using the mouse wheel. To move around, just drag the ground with the mouse wheel depressed. To move vertically, drag the ground with the Control key and the mouse wheel depressed. And to rotate the view direction, drag the mouse with the Shift key and the mouse wheel depressed. If before rotating the view direction you point at the ground or any part of your object, you will rotate exactly around this point.

And to move closer or further away, just rotate the mouse wheel (you can also reassign it in options to use the zoom function).

I am getting huge tooltips that obscure my view!

These tooltips explain some common editing operations, so that new users would know what to do. You can disable them in options. Click on the Menu icon in the main Instant Object Studio window and select Options. Disable the Explain tools in tooltips checkbox.

Working with the mouse is difficult, I cannot even make two identically sized boxes. How can I make high-precision objects?

After creating a new part, you can always enter the exact part size as numbers. In a similar fashion, you can enter the exact distance and heading when moving parts or vertices.

If you need to move something in an exact direction, click on any edge running in this direction - the next movement will happen along the line of this edge. In the demo video (at 16:50), this is used to move a lattice column in the direction of one of its edges. And clicking on any polygon will restrict the next movement to the plane of the polygon.

The gravity function helps build precise objects. When creating a new part, starting near an edge or vertex (so that it gets highlighted) will automatically attach the new part to this edge or vertex. And when moving a part, it will stick to nearby edges and vertices (hold down Shift to disable this, when needed).

You can also create guidelines to make exact measurements and align new parts along lines - use the Guidelines tool for that. Finally, you can center any part relative to any polygon or edge.

How can I make boxes that are not oriented in the North-South direction?

After making your first box, you have to rotate it by right clicking on it and rotating around the vertical axis (or any of its vertical edges).

After that, clicking on any edge will automatically orient the next box you create along that edge. The same applies for roofs with a rectangle base.

How can I move parts or vertices in the vertical direction?

With the default settings, if you drag the part in the direction that roughly corresponds to the vertical as seen on your screen, it will move vertically. Otherwise, it moves horizontally.

You can also enable an alternate movement mode in options that requires you to hold down the Control key for vertical movement.

Moving parts in 3D is difficult, I always have to move them separately in 2 directions

Since the screen is only 2-dimensional, a movement in 3D always involves two steps (horizontal movement and a vertical movement). But there are shortcuts.

You can grab any part by one of its vertices and drag it to the new location, When you do so, the elevation is automatically adjusted so that the vertex under the mouse stays either on the ground, or on top of the polygon under the mouse. This allows you quickly move parts in 3D. You can also use gravity for precise movement - drag the vertex onto any other vertex, and they will snap together, giving you an exact alignment.

You can also click on any edge or polygon to constrain the next movement to the direction of this edge or the plane of the polygon. In this case, the movement will happen according to your constraints and will not be limited to the horizontal or vertical plane.

For vertices, you can enable a special movement mode in options that only moves the vertex along one of the attached edges. Again, in this case there is no need for a separate horizontal/vertical movement.

How can I make a fence with vertices placed at precise locations?

You need to mark these locations before starting to draw the fence, e.g. using intersecting guidelines or by putting temporary parts there. After that, click at these vertices or intersections when making a fence - and the gravity function will snap it to the parts and guidelines you placed there.

Can I make a suspension bridge with Instant Object Studio?

Yes you can! There are two functions that are very useful when making suspension bridges. First, you can create rods that connect two points. You can use them to quickly add cables. For the main cables, add curved rods, and then connect them with the deck using straight vertical rods, making suspender cables. To space cables equally, you can use guidelines.

Second, Instant Object Studio allows you to bend any (simple) part by pulling by its center or one of its ends. If the deck is not level but raises towards the middle of the bridge, you can use this function to raise it at the middle.

Can I make a lattice tower?

Making lattice towers using polygons for every beam results in a very complex model reducing your frame rate.

Instant Object Studio includes a generic lattice texture. You can create it with any color you want, and use in your model. Use the "Create generic texture" option in material properties when selecting the texture. For the lattice to appear properly, the texture should be set to stretch horizontally and to keep the aspect ratio in material properties.

If the tower is supported by cables, you can quickly add them using the Rod tool.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask in this forum!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic