SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Flight Environment Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to get RID of Annoying Flashing Clouds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to get RID of Annoying Flashing Clouds
    Posted: January-31-2008 at 9:18am

This fix is courtesy of Mike (haldir) over at AVSIM. It gets rid of the issue of cloulds popping in and out of scenes...

Here are the instructions from him and my notes below

=================================================
Quote:

The ultimate culprit lies in the material handling of the cloud shader.

Go to this folder:

FSX\ShadersHLSL\misc

There you will find a file called SwarmCloud.fx. Make a backup copy of this file somewhere. (as always no crying if you don't do this step)

Open the original SwarmCloud.fx in notepad or wordpad and then look down about 20 lines down from the top. You will see this entry:

bool NewMaterialUsage = true;

Change its value from true to false. Make sure to keep the semi-colon.

Save and close the file.

Now, go to C:\documents & settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\

(If you can't get to this folder make sure that "show hidden & system files/folders" is turned on in your windows folder options.)

(This is the XP path by the way, Vista users will have to hunt for their equivlalent in the users folder.)

You will see a folder there called: Shaders.

Either move that folder out of there or delete it. Don't worry, FSX will build a new one the next time you run it. It contains a cache of the compiled shaders. This folder must be removed to ensure that the change you made to the cloud shader file above will be compiled and used on FSX's next run.

==============================================

Note: This fix can be undone by simply editing TRUE into the line as noted above.

Also, I suggest you not delete the entire SHADER folder from

C:\documents & settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\

as suggested and instead simply empty the contents of:

C:\documents & settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders\Misc

Of course be sure to backup the MISC folder I noted above before trying this so it can be restored -and- backup the original SwarmCloud.fx file in the Flight Simulator X\ShadersHLSL\misc directory.

I do not know if anything is truely lost using this method but so far its has cured the clouds popping in and out here.

alex330 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 1:49pm
Thanks, I will give it a try :)
Andydigital View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 6:52pm
Thanks for posting this here Nick it works great.
Ramasurinen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramasurinen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 1:22am
Hehe, I see you kept your word and have been spreading the fix Nick. :)

In my quest to find a fix for this I ended up changing a *lot* of my fsx content around, so if you guys can give me any feedback on oddities or bugs you notice with that cloud shader change I'd appreciate it.

The only things I've noticed as a result of the change are that multiple layers of cumulus aren't sorting quite as well as they did before, showing a bit more bleed through. Stratus though appear to play along just fine. Also I'm not sure if it's related or something else I messed up in my FSX, but a lot of global scenery objects are now coming in at their high lod values rather than low, port cranes and such especially. If anyone else sees this side effect from the fix, please do let me know. Could be just my currently shredded FSX install haha.

I'll check back here often, but I'm glad it's bringing some relief from the flashing clouds issue. With Aces having said there will be no more fixes for bugs after SP2, I guess it's up to us to find solutions. :)

thanks,

-mike (aka lotus/haldir...)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 4:55am

Hi Mike...I tried your fix but found the radius of displayed clouds seemed a lot smaller [with 8/8 coverage and full density I could see blue sky all around me], there also seemed to be a lot of popping of new clouds as I flew.

Maybe a quirk of my setup or drivers - currently using 171.16 which may well handle shaders in a slightly differant way.

I reversed the changes and things are back to normal – disappearing clouds includedCry

Thank you for you efforts though...I may try again with a differant driver set.

dharris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 8:16am

Hi Nick,

This probably isn't related to this fix, a coincedence I would assume, but after doing this fix ( thanks for all previous help as well) I saw, a well, a ufh, that is an unidentified flying house.  I was landing at KMor in Tennessee and this house, I kid you not was flying just over the airstrip and coming in my direction, I gave chase but was flying the luscome which is not really fast enough.  I was just wondering if it were possible for an autogen object (house) to somehow become identified with and A.I.?  It is the only thing I can think of.  No I was not smoking any funny stuff, nor imbibing any hard stuff.  Kind of caught me of guard.  I kept trying to recreate it and get a screen shot of it but no joy.

Ramasurinen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramasurinen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 10:39pm
Well, I saw a 2000 tonne US coast guard cutter flying over the rockies once, back in RTM, long before I started messing with FSX, so really anything goes with this program. ;)

-mike

Dooky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 11:33pm
dharris, I had the same thing happen to me after this edit. I don't think they were actually moving, but I would have 3 or 4 houses floating from time to time. I reversed the edit and haven't seen it since. 
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2008 at 4:54pm

Not sure what is going on guys... as I said, I do not know what else this may change however if you are into making videos, this fix is probably critical because you wont have flashing clouds in your show

As the same time we are approaching the 11 oclock hour with the GEX update so I do not have time to test and possibly tweak this right now

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 10:26pm

OK guys I just saw flying houses and it had nothing to do with this tweak because I had it disabled.

They were not flying, just floating about 1000 feet above the ground in central canada. They appeared to be moving because I was moving but they were stationairy

So the flying building mystery has nothing to do with this tweak as far as i can tell.

luap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 10:49pm

Any ruby slipper wearing dames, flying monkeys or dogs named Toto?

Paul Scott Bartelt

The grass is always greener over the septic tank

Peter Wilding View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Wilding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 5:22am

Thanks Nick, we will investigate this.

Peter

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Peter Wilding Peter Wilding wrote:

Thanks Nick, we will investigate this.

Peter

Thanks Peter... not really a lot to investigate. It is a nice tweak to use if you wish to make a video and dont want the clouds playing peek-a-boo  LOL

Dooky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 9:09pm
Odd. I have only seen this phenomenon after the "tweak", and once reversed, haven't seen it since. 
sargeski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sargeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 10:58am

Originally posted by Dooky Dooky wrote:

Odd. I have only seen this phenomenon after the "tweak", and once reversed, haven't seen it since. 

I've seen this phenomeon crop up from time to time ever since Acceleration (SP2) was installed.  It's definitely not a product of the flashing cloud tweak mentioned here.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2008 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by luap luap wrote:

Any ruby slipper wearing dames, flying monkeys or dogs named Toto?

http://www.kansasoz.com/wav_not_in_kansas_anymore.wav

Phase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2008 at 8:56pm

Hi NickN

Is this you as a young Thespian? [UTX, GEX enhanced, FEX, FSGenesis LC, Megascenery Kansas].

PeterH

Nil illegitimum carborundum est

FSX SP2; i7 2600K, OC 5THz liq N2 cooling 16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, GTX670, WINDOWS 7 64; 256GB OCZ Vertex SSD; Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz Monitor
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Phase Phase wrote:

Hi NickN

Is this you as a young Thespian? [UTX, GEX enhanced, FEX, FSGenesis LC, Megascenery Kansas].

PeterH

http://www.socalgal-1.net/wav/getyou.wav

Phase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 7:29pm

Nick
I'd know that laugh anywhere!!
pH

Nil illegitimum carborundum est

FSX SP2; i7 2600K, OC 5THz liq N2 cooling 16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, GTX670, WINDOWS 7 64; 256GB OCZ Vertex SSD; Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz Monitor
udidwht View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote udidwht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 4:52am
Would this fix resolve the same issue for users of REX, Active Sky etc...
Win764BitSP1
GigabyteGAZ68XP-UD3
i52500K
8GBDDR3RAM
XFXHDRadeon68701GBGDDR5256bit
1TBSeagateSATA3 32mbcache
1TBHitachiSATA 2 32mbcache
LGBlueRaywriter
SoundBlasterX-fiXtremeGamer
Antec650wPSU
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 7:37am
It has nothing to do with FEX/REX/AS/Opus.. this is a FSX issue and should be performed on all systems
Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 6:09am
Since this is an old thread with no links for Windows 7, this is the correct link to the Shader\Misc folder in which, according to Nicks note, you should delete everything after backup: 

C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders\Misc
Hans

W7/64,FSX Gold, SB-E 3930K @ 4.7, Sabertooth X79, GTX580, 4x2GB G.Skill RipjawsZ @ 2133-9-11-10-28-1T, Corsair H110+Obsidian 900D,Seasonic P-1000, GEX, UTX, UT2, REX E+, S-Tech LC, NGX.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic