SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GEX Enhanced Wont Install ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GEX Enhanced Wont Install ?
    Posted: February-12-2008 at 7:15am

Oh No... Using Vista 32 :

I run the GEX-USA-CAN-eN.exe and it pops up the Vista security warning, I say OK to install and nothing happens?

If I run as Admin, it pops up the UAC prompt but then nothing???

If I run from a cmd window, nothing.

Tried rebooting, turned off virus scanner, downloaded 2nd copy of the installer but still cant install???

Jack2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 7:44am

Solved it by copying the setup exe and data file to a directory in the C: root.

It will not install from my users download directory.

Maybe this will help others.

Steve Halpern View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 7:54am

Problably some wierd Vista issue with Permissions.

Vista is one huge MESS!!!

Microsoft wanted to protect you from bad things out there, but they also protected you from yourself, and many other friendly applications.

On our www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=vista page we go into some of the details so you can try to "get your machine back".

Steve

Flight One Software
Jack2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 7:59am

I agree, but as of June of this year, it will be all MS sells.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 8:44am

Yes, for me personally when I installed Vista, I made it as XP like as possible.

1. Installed Vista on my new machine.

2. Turned off User Account Control

3. Turned off the Defender service.

4. Disabled Aero (saves CPU's to do so)

5. Totally re-permissioned Program Files. There is no folder virtualization active so the folder acts as it has previously.

6. I disabled the Indexing service, as it would do things I did not like, especially with huge ZIP files.

I then installed NOD32 as my security product.

With the above I have a machine that runs very clean, with little interference from Vista itself. It for the most part runs just like XP.

Yes, maybe a bit extreme, but for me the only way if I had to use Vista.

Steve

Flight One Software
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Steve Halpern Steve Halpern wrote:

Yes, for me personally when I installed Vista, I made it as XP like as possible.

1. Installed Vista on my new machine.

2. Turned off User Account Control

3. Turned off the Defender service.

4. Disabled Aero (saves CPU's to do so)

5. Totally re-permissioned Program Files. There is no folder virtualization active so the folder acts as it has previously.

6. I disabled the Indexing service, as it would do things I did not like, especially with huge ZIP files.

I then installed NOD32 as my security product.

With the above I have a machine that runs very clean, with little interference from Vista itself. It for the most part runs just like XP.

Yes, maybe a bit extreme, but for me the only way if I had to use Vista.

A man that knows the difference between OS and BS!

Everyone, take notice... that is a highly recommended list to follow!

Vigilius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vigilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 9:02am
I have Vista on my work (no FSX) notebook and I have done all these things before  reading it here. Only number 5 it's not clear to me
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 9:14am

You may not need to do all of #5 after User Account Control is turned off, but Program Files has reduced user rights. So if you open Notepad, and save a small text file in Program Files, it actually would get written to another location, like C:\Users\Roaming or something.

Create a small "test" folder on you C drive, right click it, and select Permissions. Then right click Program Files/Permissions, and compare.

XP may get extended... http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,142302-c,xp/article.html. But maybe not. Regardless, as a software company, we have to deal with Vista from a customer service point of view.

Steve

Flight One Software
Valcor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valcor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 10:32am
Steve, I think your #5 just explained why my edited aircraft.cfg's in notepad are not saving properly!  I keep losing my downloaded liveries because the added entries are disappearing from the cfg.

Can you tell me how to prevent darn Vista from doing that?  (UAC is already off)
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Steve Halpern Steve Halpern wrote:

You may not need to do all of #5 after User Account Control is turned off, but Program Files has reduced user rights. So if you open Notepad, and save a small text file in Program Files, it actually would get written to another location, like C:\Users\Roaming or something.

Create a small "test" folder on you C drive, right click it, and select Permissions. Then right click Program Files/Permissions, and compare.

XP may get extended... http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,142302-c,xp/article.html. But maybe not. Regardless, as a software company, we have to deal with Vista from a customer service point of view.

I use to meet up with the head of the Vista server dev team at a little pub in Kirkland, WA on Fridays...    you dont want to know what he had to say especially after a few snorts

ROFL

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 10:40am

Do at your own risk of course...

Right click C:\Program Files... Select Properties, Security, and press the Advanced button.

Select Owner, then press the Edit button.

I then selected Administrators. Make sure the Replace owner on sbcontainers and objects is also selected.

Then OK all the way out.

I then went back in to permissions, security and made sure that Administrators had Full Control. Make sure you agree for it to apply to everything when prompted.

Also, if you do not install FSX to Program Files (C:\FSX for example), you do not have problems from it being in Program Files.

Steve

Flight One Software
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic