SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain Series > Support for all the 'Ultimate' Series of Terrain Products
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FSX very slow loading with UTX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpowers46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FSX very slow loading with UTX
    Posted: June-11-2007 at 10:32am
I have P4,2.4 ghz,1.5 gb ram and 256 video card.Since installing UTX FS is VERY slow loading.Like I shaved and showered last night and it was still loading when I returned to it.Is this normal?Thanks,Ron
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 11:13am

Ron,

No, that is not normal.   The load times should be very similar to FSX, with maybe only a very slight increase.

During testing, I probably had to load FSX between 50 and 100 times per day.  I would have gone crazy if the load times took any more than a minute or so. After dropping down the texture resolution and removing autogen in FSX, I could get load times of about 20 or 30 seconds for test purposes.

Here are a few things to try:

First, make sure that you defrag your drive after installing UTX.   Like FSX itself, UTX contains a lot of files, which can make your disk more fragmented.   One of the popular commercial defraggers will do a much better job than the one that is built into Windows.

The defragging should help.  But, if your load times are really bad, there is probably something else going on.

Another thing I would suggest trying, is to see if the high resolution road and rail textures might be causing you some kind of bottleneck.    Start the UTX Setup tool.  Then, under the "Ultimate Terrain" menu, change the resolution of the UTX textures from 1 meter to 5 meters.   See if that improves things from a texture loading bottleneck standpoint.

On my system, I have occassionally have some problems with FSX loadtimes with or without UTX.    Usually, everything loads quickly.  But on occassion, things slow to a crawl until I reboot.    Something I do is messing with FSX (i.e. running a conflicting application).  But, I have not been able to track it down yet because it only happens rarely. 

A couple other things you might report back to us.....

Are your slow load times isolated to a specific area ?   Or, do they happen all over ?    Exactly how long is long (minutes) ?   During loading, does the FSX progress bar seem to hang at certain percentages (i.e 30%) ?   Or, does the progress bar move slowly from start to finish ?

Allen
rpowers46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpowers46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 11:27am
Allen,Thanks for the reply.I will get the details to you.From what I remember the loading slowed way down at 38% and then again at 95%.I did not defrag after installing UTX,but did just last week with Diskkeeper lite.I will try your suggestions tonight.Ron P.S. Slow is like at least 20 mins.
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 11:59am

20 mins is just awful.   There has to be a problem somewhere.

The 38% and 95% slowdown is also strange.   UTX scenery is usually loaded earlier than 38%.   And in the 90% range FSX is loading autogen.

Are you sure that UTX is slowing things down ?   It sounds like you might also have problems with FSX and no UTX.

Allen
rpowers46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpowers46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 12:16pm
It was loading up fine till I installed UTX last night.I had done a clean install and installed SP1.Defragged etc.It may be a little before 38%,but I think it is when textures are loading.I will run it tonight and get more precise info.Ron
Manny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 12:23pm
Change the testure from 1m to 5m. That brought back the loading time for me to what it was before.

That and the need to reduce car traffic for performance hit. Since more roads have cars now, that needs to be throttleback to the same total traffic as it was before.

MAnny

JoeD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 1:02pm

I'm aslo  having very long loads time after installing UTX. This is with a "high end" sys.

However, it only happens at random and sometimes a flight will load quite quickly but, other times, the same exact flight  will take over 10 minutes to load.

I have tried everthing I can think of and come to the conclusion that there might an inherent problem with FSx in this reguard. I dont think the problem lies with UTX. It sort of seems that FSX get overwhelmed when loading on ocasion for what ever reason(s). 

Consider that FSx wil run differntly on different sys reguardless of the hardware  and/or configurations and even ACES is stumpped as to why this is so. What works for some will have the opposit effect for others even with simular hardware.

mhoffman50 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhoffman50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 1:37pm

I had the same problem and think I might have resolved it.  Defragging alone didn't help.  I needed to defrag and then change some of the options in UTX.  This rebuilt the scenery databases and indexes and now both FSX and Flights load quicker, the sim performs better and I have fewer bluries.  Also, I have almost everything turned on in UTX.

Sys specs; E6600, 2 gig ram, 8800GTS, 320G SATA

quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by mhoffman50 mhoffman50 wrote:

Defragging alone didn't help. I needed to defrag and then change some of the options in UTX. This rebuilt the scenery databases and indexes and now both FSX and Flights load quicker

Good point. I would personally suggest the following for those about to start:

1) Defrag before installing UTX.

2) After installing UTX, do not defrag straight away, but setup all the UTX options you want and then take a very short flight in FSX to cause the scenery library to rebuild and any other FSX changes to happen.

3) Defrag until you have 0% file/directory fragmentation.

I've found that this procedure gives me the best optimisation for file loading and frames for FSX with UTX installed.

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
Howie View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 4:07pm

What defragging software is recommended?

Thanks,

Howard

Howard

System: Intel Core2 Quad Q9650 (3.0), MB-DP45SG, 4Gb DDR3-1333 memory, GeForce GTX 250 1Gb video card, 2 500GB hd, 3 19" monitors with the Matrox TripleHead2Go. Windows 7/64.
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 4:21pm

Howard,

O&O software have one that a lot of FS users.  But, I think there is another that is very poplular.

Allen
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by mhoffman50 mhoffman50 wrote:

I had the same problem and think I might have resolved it.  Defragging alone didn't help.  I needed to defrag and then change some of the options in UTX.  This rebuilt the scenery databases and indexes and now both FSX and Flights load quicker, the sim performs better and I have fewer bluries.  Also, I have almost everything turned on in UTX.

Interesting comment.   I think the indexing is a possible cause for those of us that have erratic load times.    I did not think of that.  But, it makes complete sense.   The occassional long load times look like a database search with no indexes.

Like Joe mentioned earlier.  I don't think that long load times are a UTX problem directly, because not everyone is impacted by them.   However, it could be related to how FSX/SP1 handle 3rd party sceneries in general.

I feel that there has to be a solution.  If everyone had long load times, then I would think otherwise.

Allen
Howie View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 4:36pm
Thanks Allen,  I will hunt it down.
Howard

System: Intel Core2 Quad Q9650 (3.0), MB-DP45SG, 4Gb DDR3-1333 memory, GeForce GTX 250 1Gb video card, 2 500GB hd, 3 19" monitors with the Matrox TripleHead2Go. Windows 7/64.
rpowers46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpowers46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 9:53pm

.Came home tonight and lowered all my UT settings,ran a flight and defragged.Still took 15 mins to load.Still had blurries.Moved all the UTX stuff to bottom of scenery library(still above default scenery).Same problems.15 mins to load and blurries.Disabled all UTX in library and WOW! everything is back to normal.Quick loading and scenery is crisp and Justin's LC is there.Something is wrong.Ron

geofa View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geofa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 10:41pm

I have had loads of 35 minutes with a fresh defragged drive.

I tried lowering the Ut settings and defragged-no joyl

I went to scenery manager and disabled utroads-bingo! went from 35 minutes to 3...

I'd like to have those roads back though...but looks like the culprit is here...

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 11:17pm
All defrag tools are not created equal. It would be interesting to know which ones people are using who are having the issues. The one which ships with Windows is frankly pretty useless. I've also seen that Norton Utilities defag is poor. I'm using PerfectDisk 8.

Having files individually defragged will not be enough if your directory indexes or metadata are not.

The UtUsaRoad scenery folder has the largest number of files of all the UTX files (over 4800 of them). Some versions of Windows can perform poorly with large directories if they are not properly organised. What OS versions do people have who are seeing slow load times? What file system do people have e.g. NTFS or FAT32?

Also, do users who are seeing slow load times have Windows Index Service on? This is also a major system pig when it comes to large directories, as is having the NTFS last access write switched on (do a search on Microsoft's knowledge base for "NTFS disablelastaccess").

I have an old P4 2.5GHz with 1 Mb RAM running Win XP Home, NTFS, defragged with PerfectDisk and see load times of only 3 to 4 mins in worst case. My newer dual core 2.4 GHz, Vista 64 does it in under 1 minute.

rpowers46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpowers46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 12:34am
Geofa,Process of elimination for me.Disabling UT Roads and UT waterclass worked somewhat  but now I get a slowdown loading "adjusting scenery objects".Never stalled there before now.Anyway,except for that I am loading like normal and no blurries.Not sure now what I have gained with UTX.Ron
northtexas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northtexas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 12:41am

Originally posted by quantumleap quantumleap wrote:

All defrag tools are not created equal. It would be interesting to know which ones people are using who are having the issues. The one which ships with Windows is frankly pretty useless. I've also seen that Norton Utilities defag is poor. I'm using PerfectDisk 8.

Having files individually defragged will not be enough if your directory indexes or metadata are not.

The UtUsaRoad scenery folder has the largest number of files of all the UTX files (over 4800 of them). Some versions of Windows can perform poorly with large directories if they are not properly organised. What OS versions do people have who are seeing slow load times? What file system do people have e.g. NTFS or FAT32?

Also, do users who are seeing slow load times have Windows Index Service on? This is also a major system pig when it comes to large directories, as is having the NTFS last access write switched on (do a search on Microsoft's knowledge base for "NTFS disablelastaccess").

I have an old P4 2.5GHz with 1 Mb RAM running Win XP Home, NTFS, defragged with PerfectDisk and see load times of only 3 to 4 mins in worst case. My newer dual core 2.4 GHz, Vista 64 does it in under 1 minute.

What OS versions  - WIN XP SP2 NTFS file sys.

Which DEFRAG Tool - Ultimate DeFrag using both consolidation & recency methods with FSX scenery & textures selected as "high performance" folders.

Windows indexing & Last file write - OFF

FSX load time without UTX roads selected - 1-2 minutes.

FSX load time with UTX roads selected - 7-8 minutes. 

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 1:06am

Guys. I have 3 machines with UTX and FSX.  One of them is a very poor machine with a very outdated video card.  Whether or not the roads are disabled has no real load time impact on any of the machines.   Plus, this problem never happend to any of the beta testers or evaluators.   There was a pretty good amount of people that had copies of UTX before it went out.

So, for a small amount of user's, UTX is triggering something bizarre in FSX that is causing really poor load times.   As far as the road scenery files go, there is no actual "bug" that could be causing the problems.   But, there is definately some sort of threshold that is being toppled on some user configurations.

My guess is that UTX is pointing out a problem that will crop up again elsewhere for you guys if not discovered.   It would probably benefit us all to follow through with diagnosing the issue now.

That being said, we need to try and come up with a strategy here.  Since the problem cannot be duplicated on our end, or by any of our beta testers, we will need to work with the user's that are having issues.

The few higher level options should have already been attempted:

Defragging will help in almost all cases.  But, the really excessive load times indicate a problem beyond defragging as you have seen.

Another possibility has to do with the hi-resolution road textures in UTX.  But, if you have switched to the 5 meter UT textures already as a test, this should have eliminated that possibility.

I will need to think about the lower level things we can try.   If anyone else has any ideas, feel free to throw them out.   Jeff has already had several good ideas.

There has to be a solution to all of this from the user's end, because a majority of the user configurations do not see the same dramatic load time increase.  I will do whatever I can to assist you in finding the source of the problem if possible.

I would like to follow up on a thought that Jeff had.   What happens if you disable all the UT Road features, except for something very minimal, like the freeways, highways and interstates  ?   Are your load times still really excessive ?   I am not suggesting this as a solution.  But, it might help with the diagnosis.

Allen
boris4356 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boris4356 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 1:17am

Just a shot in the dark here, but could it be possible that some people may have been running the FS9 UT USA port to FSX and may have are forgotten to revert back to default textures before installing UTX-USA?

I have absolutely no problems with bluries or load times with UTX-USA. It runs like a charm with all the bells and whistles enabled.

Bill

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 1:24am

Thanks for the suggestion Bill.   It's been a while since I looked at the porting apps.  But, I don't believe they allowed the roads to be ported.    The results were just awful.   

Your suggestion is a really good one though.

Allen
JoeD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 4:36am

Tonight I had absolutly no problems withn load times. Smile

I experimented with saved flights, created new ones, moved the aircraft long distances via the map, etc.  All load times were actually quite brief.

There  is absolutly nothing I did between last night and tonight to account for this. Like I said there seems to be no pattrern or clues about the eratic load times on my sys. 

BTW, I think it may be a good idea if people define what kind of "blurries they are refering to.

There are "near" blurries and "distant" blurries. Near blurries are cause by textures failing to load. Distant blurries are the result of the limited radius of detail inherent with FSX and SP1 and I don't think it is possible to eliminate those at this point so, we all have them.

geofa View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geofa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 7:07am

The blurries I get are the near blurries. I did not get them before installing Ut.

I will test the road issue more later today-but that certainly is the problem on my end.

sulebust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sulebust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 7:25am

After installing SP1 I got very fluent framerates and crips ground textures on the default FSX on my midrange PC.

Now I have installed UTX and immediately experienced long load times, stutters and utterly blurried textures (near).

I have changed the resolution from 1 m to 5 m of the textures without any effect.

Hope this is something that can be fiexed.

Jeremy Deane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 7:31am
Another story of UTX not running well, I'm afraid.  I had FSX+SP1 running at a locked 25 fps in all but the most dense urban areas, with no stutters and almost no (near) blurries, loading times per flight of around 75 seconds and most sliders at or near the right.  After installing UTX I have a loading time of around 240 seconds (with major stops around 30% and 93%), a drop in average fps to 14-18, and near blurries so bad that I can't really see any of the improved scenery other than some of the roads.  I have reduced the texture resolution to 5m and made inactive many of the roads - fps increases slightly (but still not enough) and blurries and loading times are the same (i.e. unacceptable).  I did note that the initial update of the scenery library was particularly lengthy and stuck aorund 95% for ages - don't know if this gives a clue as to what is happening.  I do have quite a lot of photo-realistic scenery loaded (and there have been problems with loading times reported by many, myself included, in the past) so don't know if there is  a clash between UTX and this - when I feel a bit stronger I shall try making all of this inactive and see if it helps.

Very frustrating after waiting for this programme with so much expectation - I have (hopefully temporarily) uninstalled UTX simply to be able to have an enjoyable flight again which loads in good time, and with scenery that I can see.  At present I am afraid that, on my system, UTX is an expensive failure and a major disappointment.  I hope the forum can help in working out how to overcome all of this, and shall certainly try out and report on any suggestions.

Jeremy
Steve Halpern View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 7:45am

One thing to maybe check, just out of curiosity.

Right click your C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\SceneryIndexes folder and see what is in there and the size. Here is mine...

I am just curious as to what the differences are on some users systems that have the slow load times.

Also, check if the "Empty scenery cache on exit" is checked in your Scenery Library. Change it to the opposite of what it is now and see what that does. By default, it is checked.

Steve

Flight One Software
geofa View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geofa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 8:01am

Is this in a different place for Vista users?

rpowers46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpowers46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 9:23am
I started this thread and my main slowdown was at 95%.Air,land and sea.Took 9 mins to load this 5%.Had near blurries.Disabled all UT and all was back to fast loading and no blurries.One at a time I enabled all UTX.Problems came back.Finally found that disabling UT waterclass and UT roads solved the problem.Ron
rpowers46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpowers46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 9:28am
I have size 2.79  size on disc 3.16.Ron (original poster of this thread.)
northtexas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northtexas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 9:52am

Originally posted by rpowers46 rpowers46 wrote:

I started this thread and my main slowdown was at 95%.Air,land and sea.Took 9 mins to load this 5%.Had near blurries.Disabled all UT and all was back to fast loading and no blurries.One at a time I enabled all UTX.Problems came back.Finally found that disabling UT waterclass and UT roads solved the problem.Ron

Same here which is strange since the air, land & sea loads in seconds with UTX roads not activated but all other UTX features turned on.  Also I didn't mention in my previous post that I have a "D" drive used for FSX only.

rpowers46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpowers46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 10:21am
I also am using my D drive for FSX only.I forgot to mention that I have sliders for cars,boats etc turned to almost 0.I also have only main roads activated in UT.None of the smaller stuff.Ron
mhoffman50 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhoffman50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 10:28am

I thought that defragging and changing UTX settings had solved my problem but it came back last night.  Grrrrr!  So I loaded up FSX this morning with no changes and during the load there was a lot of HD activity, even after the initial menu came up.  I decided to wait until the HD slowed down.  It took close to a minute but finally reduced.  It was at that point that I loaded a flight and it loaded in less than 2 minutes and the FPS definitely improved.  I'm not sure what it means but thought everyone would like to know.

ryandinan View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryandinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 11:15am
Originally posted by akriesman akriesman wrote:

Interesting comment.   I think the indexing is a possible cause for those of us that have erratic load times.    I did not think of that.  But, it makes complete sense.   The occassional long load times look like a database search with no indexes.

Like Joe mentioned earlier.  I don't think that long load times are a UTX problem directly, because not everyone is impacted by them.   However, it could be related to how FSX/SP1 handle 3rd party sceneries in general.

I feel that there has to be a solution.  If everyone had long load times, then I would think otherwise.

Upon first running UTX, I had a very fast load time - probably just a hair longer than normal.  However, my computer ended up blue-screening during a flight, and I had to restart (I'm overclocking, and this updrade seems to push the computer harder than FSX can alone).

After restarting and firing up FSX, I encountered several (very) long load times - upwards of 30+ minutes each - and when it would finally get done loading, I had nothing but a black screen (with sound).  It would typically get stuck around 35% and sit there, with the hard drive accessing like crazy.

I killed FSX through task manager, then started it up again.  I went to the scenery manager, and unchecked all of the "UT" sceneries, and hit OK.  The scenery database was then automatically re-written.  I then went back into scenery manager, and re-enabled all the UT sceneries, and rebuild the database again.  I then shut down and restarted FSX (just in case anything needed to get written to the fsx.cfg file).

After doing this, my load times were once again fast.  Unfortunately, in order to run FSX with UTX, I'm currently forced to return my computer to stock settings, otherwise I get a blue screen after about 2 minutes of flying Ouch.  Never had this problem when running FSX or any other game... I may have to check my voltages...

BTW, Im running Vista Ultimate 64-bit - and here are my computer specs:

Intel Core2 Duo E6400 (overclocked to 3.2GHz)
4GB RAM
Asus P5B motherboard
ATI X1900XT 256MB
700W power supply
Seagate 180GB 7200 SATA harddrive

-Ryan
ryandinan View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryandinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 11:26am
One quick thought -
It would seem that these long load times are directly related to the scenery database in some way.  Since I had a blue screen during my first time running UTX, I'm thinking that the scenery index got corrupted, or messed up.  This is why rebuilding the index, and restarting FSX appears to have cured my issue (I didn't let FSX have a chance to crash before saving anything it needed to save...).

Someone also mentioned the Vista indexing service - Mine is running - which may or may not have contributed to the problem.  I'm also running Avast and Windows Defender... I found that by disabling Avast, my load times improved a bit too... haven't tried disabling Windows Defender...

-Ryan

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Steve Halpern Steve Halpern wrote:

One thing to maybe check, just out of curiosity.

Right click your C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\SceneryIndexes folder and see what is in there and the size.

Yes, the way that scenery indexes are handled in FSX is different from FS9, and I also had started to consider this as a potential as well based on some other observations regarding the FSX scenery library.

I have seen cases where even though I have made changes to the FSX scenery library, on starting FSX it did not rebuild the scenery index when it should have. This to me raises questions on how it performs at times.

Everyone needs to remember that when they get into the state where things take a significantly longer time to load and they then change the scenery library, the index will get rebuilt. Maybe when people see this slowdown, they should just go to the Scenery Library and press the OK button which causes a rebuild of the index.

Another thing to consider, and has been noted by ACES, is the potential for scenery file loading contention between the process threads which handle this. When you throw far more scenery files at it for the same area maybe this triggers these conditions (which they also believe has impact on blurries - which people repeat as observations here as well).

It would be interesting to know from those seeing the issue what processor type they have, and whether they have modified the AffinityMask in any way?

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 11:53am

There is something that I would like to try with some of you that have consistently long load times and have pinpointed it to the roads in your case.   If your load times are erratic, this test won't do us any good.

Geofa, Ron and NorthTexas.   You guys would probably be good candidates for this test if you have the time and a little extra drive space.

1) Using the UTX Setup Tool, make sure the default road features are are activated.   This would be all but the minor urban roads and the flat 2D bridges.

2) Move all 4000+ BGL files from the SCENERY\UTUSAROAD\SCENERY folder to another location.   If you have a separate drive, this would be preferable.

3) In the FSX Scenery Library, deactivate the UT USA Road layer and start FSX.   Based on what you are saying, your load times should now be good at this point without the UTX roads.

4) Copy just the RD1*.* files from the backup location into the SCENERY\UTUSAROAD\SCENERY folder.   This should cause only the UTX highways and freeways to be active.

5) Start FSX and note your load times.  How are they ?

6) If the load times were are better, copy the RD8*.BGL and RD9*.BGL files from the backup location into the SCENERY\UTUSAROAD\SCENERY folder.  This should add the road encasements for the major roads.   

7) Start FSX again and note your load times.  

That should be enough for this test.  Please let me know what results you get after steps 3, 5 and 7.

What is the point of this test ?    I honestly believe there is nothing in the road BGL files that are causing some people problems.   This test is to see if there is something regarding the folder size and structure that is messing with FSX on some systems.

Thanks for your cooporation.  I am anxious to hear about your results.  

One more thing...the SCENERY\UTUSAROAD\SCENERY folder should be empty after moving the files to a backup location.  Make sure that you actually move the files and are not just copying them.

Allen
ryanbATC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanbATC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 12:02pm
Not to be rude, but I don't think the extremely long load times are defragging (or lack thereof) problems.

Some people, like me, are having ZERO problems, load times are just plain normal.

Some, who have much better systems than mine, have the uber long loads.....

Something has to be interacting weird with UTX, or UT within FSX.

You guys with the long loads, did you get the "scenery rebuilding" dialogue window after you configed UTX? I believe everyone should have checked and used the setup tool before using FSX, so it can build the scenery database.

I cannot think of what may be causing this issue...my setup was:

Run the wrapper file, extract and run immediately after it was extracted
Install it to my main FSX directory
Run the config/setup tool, change a few things
Start FSX, it rebuilt the scenery indexes
Loaded in about 80 seconds without a defrag
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 12:41pm

I agree Ryan that the extremely long load times for some people are not defrag related.    Defragging can only help to a certain point.  

For those users that are having serious load issues, itt is almost as if a resource deadlock is taking place somewhere.

The test plan that I just posted should help eliminate a few things.   First, it will eliminate the possibility of the large number of files in a single folder causing a problem with FSX.    

I am glad that those that have no problems are contributing to the discussion also.  It gives us something to compare against.

Allen
Cruachan View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 12:42pm

Originally posted by quantumleap quantumleap wrote:

Hi,

Could this be a problem for those of us who are using 3rd party deframenters?

Quote from Koroush Ghazi's Tweaking Companion (XP):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]

NTFSDisableLastAccessUpdate=1

This DWORD disables the constant updating of dates a file/folder was last accessed if set to 1. Using this tweak can improve disk performance, but if recording file access times are important to you, you should not undertake this tweak. This is particularly true for applications like third party disk defragmenters which may prioritise file fragments based on file access times.

Mike

Edit: BTW, mine has been set to '1' for some time now without any apparent issues. I use PerfectDisk 8.0

rpowers46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpowers46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 12:52pm
Where do I check for Windows Index Service on?Thanks,Ron
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic