SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Flight Simulator General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FSX DX9 Vs DX10, what loss or gain.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimBeamBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FSX DX9 Vs DX10, what loss or gain.
    Posted: April-29-2012 at 1:37am
 Howdy y'all,

I'm trying to stop flickering images on runways and some buildings and I read about turning off DX10 preview, and this does work.

However do I really lose anything as far as detail by using DX9 Vs DX10? I do feel a small to medium performance loss (enough to make me put it back on DX10) but I really can't tell if that is just in my head or not, also I feel as if something is different somehow as far as graphics but I just can't put my finger on it.

I've searched all over the web and read a ton of stuff that is all over the place as far as what is and what isn't, are there any good technical articles on this?

thanks, and if this is in the wrong place just let me know and I'll move it.
ASUS Sabertooth Z87 BIOS 1504 : i7 4771 @ 3900mhz CM Seidon XL120 cooler ; 16gig Corsair Dominator DDR3 2133; EVGA GTX780 ; Creative X-Fi Ti ;Windows 8.1-64bit
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 7:56am
DX10 is buggy and that is why they call it a 'preview' in FSX

There are more glitches and errors with DX10 in FSX, including buildings missing in some cities which never happen with DX9

DX10 provides better performance with shadows, water reflections and light bloom which is why you see a performance difference. Past that there is no benefit and a lot of glitches.

I never use DX10 and always run DX9

There is no AA and shimmer control in DX10. Applications such as NV Inspector or even the Nvidia driver control have no influence to allow better levels of AA in FSX DX10, which is actually another reason why people think DX10 runs better than DX9. Although it is true that you can run higher levels of water reflection and light bloom in DX10 without a massive performance hit, on the flip side you can not raise AA to control autogen shimmer and flickers which means you also never see the performance hit typical AA settings invoke in DX9 which means you must also put up with the autogen and cockpits shimmering/flickering in DX10

of course in final analysis its ultimately up to the user and what they are willing to put up with, or not, as to which DX API they want to run

JimBeamBlack View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimBeamBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 10:50am

Thanks Nick, great informative answer as usual.

I've done some testing and other than the lights at the ends of runways being big black blocks, only sometimes, I'm thinking I'm gonna go with DX9 for awhile and just try it out.

I know the flickering is a small issue in the scheme of things but It bothers me when everything else looks so good.

Thanks for the info sir!
RobC

PS: should I reinstall/redo all my mods after I turn off DX10 preview? UTX/GEX, UTX2, FEX? Or should I make a new Config?

thanks 

ASUS Sabertooth Z87 BIOS 1504 : i7 4771 @ 3900mhz CM Seidon XL120 cooler ; 16gig Corsair Dominator DDR3 2133; EVGA GTX780 ; Creative X-Fi Ti ;Windows 8.1-64bit
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 12:15pm
The black 'boxes' you see periodically is mainly due to a change Aces made to priority render in SP2/Acceleration. The faster the video card and CPU and the lower the scenery load in the area, the faster those boxes flash, sometimes you cant see them flicker its so fast...  but, Aces never fixed that issue.

It happens in DX10 too, its just so fast due to the DX10 API and the card not dealing with shader load , you just do not see it.

No reinstall of anything..

No reason to delete FSX.cfg but you may find you need to retune a bit depending on the scenery load

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic