SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Heli Traffic 2009 and FSDiscover Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FSDiscover + FSX Steam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APA603 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FSDiscover + FSX Steam
    Posted: May-13-2015 at 3:40pm
I've tried to install FSDiscover to my new FSX Steam install, alongside my existing FSX DVD install and encountered two problems.

1. After the install completes, when asked to confirm the path to FSX, the default only shows the option of ..\FSX and does not allow selection of ..\FSX-SE as exists with the two side-by-side installations of FSX.
I got around this by renaming the respective FSX folders to trick the installer to install/modify the FSDiscover into FSX-SE and not FSX DVD. This seemed to work but led to problem #2.

2. When running FSX-SE all goes well until being asked to approve the use of the FSDiscoverFSX.dll for FS Version 10.0.62313.0, whereupon the loading of FSX crashes with the following message:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BEX
  Application Name: fsx.exe
  Application Version: 10.0.62613.0
  Application Timestamp: 551a6ac5
  Fault Module Name: StackHash_4caf
  Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
  Exception Offset: fada3abb
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Data: 00000008
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID: 2057
  Additional Information 1: 4caf
  Additional Information 2: 4cafedea6969e480b61eb82e9b6021a0
  Additional Information 3: 90f4
  Additional Information 4: 90f40f2a202b727bf6ff6dc8d5e61132

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

So is FSDiscover compatible with FSX Steam or not....yet?
APA603 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APA603 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2015 at 5:30pm
Not sure how this got in the wrong Forum section, but have reposted it in the Flight1 Product Support Forum.
Jeff Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2015 at 5:43pm
I moved it to the correct forum. Wait for the dev to respond.
Keep the Blue Side UP! - Flight1 Sales / Customer Support
APA603 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APA603 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 1:19pm
Which Forum is that Jeff. I can only see it here, although I reposted it myself into "Flight1 Product Support"after spotting my mistake, it isn't there anymore, nor is the one you have moved?
troye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 10:00am
Hi APA603, I also have a problem with FSDiscover and FSX Steam and found this post, but cannot find where it has been redirected to and the answer. Have you found a solution?
APA603 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APA603 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 10:28am
Hi Troye

Unfortunately no I have not had any response of even the courtesy of a reply, other than the first one saying my post was being moved to "the correct" forum, which it never was! Neither have I found my own solution to the problem.

I'm beginning to get the impression that there is no interest by Flight One in updating legacy products like FS Discover for the FSX-SE version. This lack of interest in customers by Flight One will definitely influence my software buying decisions in future.
troye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 11:09am
Well, i have now posted a detailed message in the correct forum (I hope), so let's see what happens. But my gut feel says that you are right. I ran the demo succesfully in the FSX box version some time ago, so i know it works.

Unfortunately, since switching to FSX Steam, i didn't try the demo before buying the full version. I didn't see the need to, as there is no warning or message about Steam incompatibility on the product page. If we cannot get it working and there is no support, i reckon the company should give us a refund.
FSDiscoverer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSDiscoverer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2015 at 7:43pm
FSDiscover! is currently incompatible with Steam. We hope to make it compatible at some point in the future.

tbisque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tbisque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2015 at 10:32am
Is there any more information about this?

If not you have my vote for making FSDiscover compatible with the Steam version of FSX. Sure miss knowing the landmarks!
rich12545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2016 at 12:03am
I'm also voting for compatibility with steam.  Not only would this be good customer service but it would introduce thousands of new prospects to FSDiscover.
rich12545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2016 at 6:48pm
I now use the steam version and would like to use FSD as well so I've been thinking about the lack of compatibility.  I don't understand why it is not compatible.  The steam edition is FSX and every other addon I've used works just fine.  It's not P3D or some other wholly different system.  

FSDiscoverer, can you please explain why it is not compatible with the FSX steam edition? 
rich12545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 12:20am
Sigh.

It's now been three weeks since I posted a simple question for FSDiscoverer.

Looks like he doesn't have the time to spend less than five minutes to answer a question for a customer.  
FSDiscoverer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSDiscoverer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2016 at 12:08am
The reason why FSDiscover is incompatible with Steam is that is uses some undocumented functions. Their location has apparently changed in the Steam version, which causes crashes.

We hope to make FSDiscover compatible with FSX:SE soon.

rich12545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2016 at 6:17pm
Thank you.

What was so difficult about writing that it took you a whole month?
tbisque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbisque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2016 at 2:17pm
You need to cut them some slack.

Often times no answer doesn't mean they are ignoring you but more likely they don't have the proper answer yet. Sometimes that can take a lot of time to get to the root of where the actual problem is.
By the way for anyone reading this I for one will gladly pay full price for an FSDiscover Steam Edition version. I mean rather than a an upgraded price I would be fine paying full price again to get it working.
StarfhishMan
rich12545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2016 at 11:16pm
tbisque......

What you should do is mind your own business.  You have no idea what you're talking about.
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2016 at 11:57am
Nothing is ever too difficult for the person who doesn't have to do it. You were promised FSDiscover for FSX and you got it. You are going to be rewarded with an upgrade to Steam which you were never promised. It's time to set aside the attitude and be grateful and patient.
John Patterson
rich12545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2016 at 2:29pm
cal2177.....

You also need to mind your own business.  You don't even bother to understand what this is

about before making a dumb comment.

All I did was ask FSDiscoverer why the program was not compatible with Steam.  That's it.  

It took him a whole month to answer a simple question.  That is incredibly terrible customer service.  

Two people, so far, think it's just fine.  
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2016 at 2:59pm
Reread what I posted. Meanness won't get you very far.
John Patterson
rich12545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2016 at 3:24pm
lol.  Meanness?  

Your post was from left field.  It had nothing to do with the situation.

The situation was that FSDiscoverer took a whole month to answer a simple question and that is terrible customer service.

Your post did not even mention that.  Next time you criticize someone, try addressing the actual topic instead of avoiding it and writing about something totally different.

I don't disagree with what you wrote.  It's just meaningless in reference to the actual topic.
krylite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krylite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 7:28pm
Still no word on an update fix for FSX steam?
Too bad. It's a really nice tool.
rich12545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 11:41pm
It really is a shame.  From FSDiscoverer's description of the problem, it doesn't look like a big deal to fix.  Then look at all the new potential customers.

Ya know, FSDiscoverer used to give good service on this product but he's gone way downhill.  
Jeff Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by rich12545 rich12545 wrote:

It really is a shame.  From FSDiscoverer's description of the problem, it doesn't look like a big deal to fix.  Then look at all the new potential customers.

Ya know, FSDiscoverer used to give good service on this product but he's gone way downhill.  

rich12545,

He hasn't gone downhill and what appears "not to be an big deal to fix" could be, otherwise, it might have already been done. The software never stated it would support FSX Steam Edition.

Honestly, I am growing tired of your same rants over and over again when someone new posts. We get that you are upset that it doesn't work with Steam Edition, nor is FSDiscoverer obliged to provide an update for it to work with the Steam version as well.

Continue posting in this manner and you might lose the ability to do so in the future! You have been warned!
Keep the Blue Side UP! - Flight1 Sales / Customer Support
rich12545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 3:51pm
Jeff, I guess I'm really confused about this whole thing.  A lot of devs have improved their products to be compatible with the steam edition and/or P3D.  Not only is this good customer service but it opens the door to thousands of new customers.  So I can't help wondering why FSDiscoverer has refused to do this.

One of the main problems, so far as I'm concerned, is his lack of communication on this forum.  I had to nag him over and over just to get him to post what the problem is and why it doesn't work.  He's never said he would update with an approximate eta.  He's never said he wouldn't so we could forget it.  It's like pulling hen's teeth to get him to say anything.  That's the number one reason I keep posting about it.  I have no idea what's going on.  

Yes, I know he is not obligated.  The product works as advertised.  But unless it involves reinventing the whole thing, improving for compatibility is pretty much SOP in this industry so far as I can tell.  It just makes good business sense.  

Based on what he said, it looks like a pretty simple fix.  Some files are placed in the wrong place by the FSDiscover program.  Ok, then change it so the files go into the right place and maybe there could be a need to do a little more.  It doesn't sound like a big deal.

But if he doesn't want to do that, he should say so.  Then we can all forget it.  Don't leave us in limbo indefinitely.  That's not a good way to conduct business. 

If you want to ban me for trying to get information and service on a product I purchased, go right ahead.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic