SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Flight Environment Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fog/Haze issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cellular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fog/Haze issue
    Posted: September-29-2011 at 2:19am
Hi,

I use ASE/SP3 and FEX and I'm facing an issue when I'm close to airports reporting less than 10 miles of visibility: the main issue is related to bad lines at the horizon and graphic artifacts.

The issue is progressive (as showed in the attached pictures (the scenery is showed in a good way at the beginning (first picture), but after a few and in different steps the final reults are artifacts at the horizon like shown in the last picture).

I run ASE with the haze layer disabled and in any case the issue is present also if I use the FSX weather engine instead of ASE.

Any support will be appreciated to understand what I can do for this.

Thanks and best regards

Joe

luap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2011 at 3:35am
FSX issue as I know it.  I thought ASE had a better haze transition or is that just for stratified and not distant?

What is view distance set to?

A little sys info might help, especially video.

Paul Scott Bartelt

The grass is always greener over the septic tank

cellular View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cellular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2011 at 4:58am
Hi,

the weather report gives clear sky and visibility less than 10 miles.

In ASE I have set: DWC mode with the haze layer disabled and visibility transition smoothing enabled 20K feet, Minimum Visibility=0,Maximum Surface Visibility=50,Maximum Upper Visibility=75.

But as mentioned the same happens using the FSX wesather engine.

My main specs are: Win7/74 with FSX/SP2 - Intel I7/2600k - Nvidia GTX 470

Colud be that I'm missing some special texture for haze?

Hope this helps to find a possible solution

Thanks

Joe
luap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2011 at 5:06am
Location and direction of pix... Let me try some duplication trials.

Paul Scott Bartelt

cellular View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cellular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2011 at 9:34am
Hi,

thanks a lot for your support.

The location is LIMC (Milan Malpensa) active runway (should be 35R) looking north/west (in that direction between the control tower and the hangar the effect is more evident, but it is visible close to all the mountains looking to north) and it is visible with visibility less than 10 miles.

Also visible in LIME (Bergamo Orio al Serio) from the active runway looking at north / north/west still close to the mountains, same visibility.

Thanks again and best regards

Joe

Phase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2011 at 12:21am
Cellular
I can confirm what luap says ie it is probably an FSX issue, I know that the original developers of FEX took a great deal of trouble trying to get a realistic haze layer but that was a few years ago now.  I know that somewhere on these forums NickN produced some guidelines on this wrt to ASE/FEX/REX and this is what he said at that time :

QUOTE: "and DO NOTE   if you install any REX/FEX cloud themes you MUST disable and then REENABLE the FOG LAYER in ASE (visibilty tab) with FSX closed.. which is the best damn fog/haze layer in FSX I have ever seen . . ."

He also stated after making the various changes to ASE:

QUOTE "Click save and apply after making changes in the tab

Do not enable boxes I did not show checked unless you know you need that support

its pretty much default other than the haze/fog layer, sliders are up to you

Do not launch FSX from the internal ASE interface..   Start ASE, let it do its inital start up, then minimize it and then start FSX from the desktop shortcut. There is a technical reason for that."

Unfortunately I do not have the link to his original post which gives excellent settings (illustrated) for setting up ASE with FEX/REX.
Regards
PeterH
Nil illegitimum carborundum est

FSX SP2; i7 2600K, OC 5THz liq N2 cooling 16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, GTX670, WINDOWS 7 64; 256GB OCZ Vertex SSD; Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz Monitor
luap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2011 at 12:58am

Not to go OP, Mr Phase.... is ASE really "all that"  I have an FSX itch to scratch.  I;d rather go for something with wings or rotors but if ASE really fixes haze... Im in.

Paul Scott Bartelt

Phase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2011 at 1:14am
Luap
I used Nick's guide as above and it worked for me (wrt Haze), but like the OP, some days I'll use ASE and other days FSX I like them both and ASE is great when it is set up correctly.  They used to have a good upgrade price from ASA but I don't if they still do?  When I get lazy I use some prebuilt weather themes that I ported over from FS9 and some the Orbx weathers that also give good dramatic skies and conditionsWink.  Go Rotor (Dodosim)!
pH

FSX SP2; i7 2600K, OC 5THz liq N2 cooling 16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, GTX670, WINDOWS 7 64; 256GB OCZ Vertex SSD; Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz Monitor
cellular View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cellular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2011 at 2:36am
Hi,

thanks for your help.

What I can say is that I always run ASE before FSX and restart it before to launch FSX when I do some changes in the options (I have enabled/disabled the haze layer several times now),

What I really cannot understand, if this is really a FSX's, is why I did notice this issue never before.

Unfortunately going around the web I'm not able to find nNcks's guidelines for ASE and FEX, if someone is able to provide me directions for that I will appreciate.

@luap: were you able to reproduce my issue?

Best regards

luap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2011 at 3:03am
When I get some armchair time, sure. Probably fri am some time.

Paul Scott Bartelt

toby23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toby23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2011 at 10:33am
luap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2011 at 11:28am
I hope I put these in progressive order...  from 10 miles to unlimited.

FYI... Shade and ENB effect lighting, but not visibility.

Paul Scott Bartelt

vic_baron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2011 at 12:28pm
If you are not using ASE, you're missing a great part of FSX. As to fog/haze - ASE uses coding *AND* a specific texture set "cirrus_overcast_03" to workaround the FSX flaw. You need the correct settings AND the 03 texture for the best results.

If you load ANY other cloud textures, ie FEX, REX, etc - you MUST reinstall the 03 textures last.

Remember - once FSX is started you can not CHANGE textures - they can only be installed when FSX is not running.

Still the best weather program out there!

Vic
980x 4.43G P6X58D 1612 6-8-6 GTX680 DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, 3Ware 9650SE,Armor+ W764 Pro

3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 2-GTX780 SLI 1000W PSU 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W764 Home
cellular View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cellular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2011 at 4:19pm
Hi,

thanks for all your support.

After to have tried several and different things, I decided to uninstall ASE and reinstall it.. and... everything is now fine!!!

Thanks again and cheers

Joe

cellular View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cellular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 2:10pm
Hi,

despite what I have prevously post the issue came out again.

But now doing several other attempts seems that now I have finally solved it replacing the FEX textures with another weather add-on I have.

Now I would like to understand what I could have done wrong with FEX, because I do not really think that the issue is really caused by a FEX's fault.

What could I verify to understand what I'm doing wrong or if something is corrupt in FEX?

Thanks

Joe 
Phase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 5:02pm
Cellullar
That's a mystery - I have never seen that with FEX before but anything is possible.
Its unlikely that FEX has been corrupted.
You could try as a test:
Reset all the settings/options in FEX and clear the cache (see manual)
Install a new theme set of FEX into FSX.  (You could even try a fresh fsx.cfg file if necessary)
Open FSX .
Do not use your external weather option but use the inbuilt FSX weather and you should see the FEX textures that you have installed. 
If it still happens then I'm not sure what might be causing it.
Regards
PeterH

cellular View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cellular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2011 at 6:19pm
Hi,

I have done several tests and attempts , with different themes, resolutin, compression and rebuilding fsx.cfg.

Nothing changes in csae of fog close to the mountains the bad effect is there.

With other add ons verything is ok
cellular View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cellular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2011 at 2:56am
Hi,

I have executed a complete reinstallation of FSX and the issue was still present.

Doing some tests, using the FSX weather, I noticed that:

1. Setting the visibility to 5 miles the issue was present
2. Then I selected a weather with full fog
3. Setting after another time the visibility to 5 miles the issue was gone away

I do not know what this could mean and overall is useless if you want to use ASE

Anyway during the flight I got the issue already mentioned in this forum by another simmer and titled 'Horizon line issue' and as mentioned there I changed the sky theme to 'kosher'.

The bad effect almost disappeared.

So I think that the issue is due to the quality of some FEX's sky textures.

Which sky did you use in the pics you posted?

I will do more tests using FEX clouds and waters and skies coming from another add on.

Thanks and best regards

Joe
KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 12:07am
No doubt that some FEX sky textures do some funny things.
I notice bad fog snaps in and out quite frequently. I have tried many settings for ASE and FEX, all set by the book.
Clouds still pop in and out too.
Sunset textures sometimes have way too deep a color, or vary from too dark on one side to too bright and washed out on the other side.
Rain comes down from cloudless sky's above (set at 6 layers).
I have never solved these issues as yet...
Flying a 2 Seat GA Flight Simulator Toronto Canada:
i7 2600k OC-4.5G, GTX680, P8Z68VPro, Mushkin 8G 9-9-9-24, Corsair1050w, CorsairH90, 256SSD, x2-300VRAP, Epson WXGA PowerLite 1760W, W7x64
KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 8:37am
After a new cloud set or new graphic is installed from FEX, as Nick has stated, one must disable, then re-enable the haze layer in FEX Options.
This has solved (for me) the issues I indicated above.
It's now stable and shows fantastic haze layering!
i7 2600k OC-4.5G, GTX680, P8Z68VPro, Mushkin 8G 9-9-9-24, Corsair1050w, CorsairH90, 256SSD, x2-300VRAP, Epson WXGA PowerLite 1760W, W7x64
KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 9:20am
Haze layer Option is in the ASE menu. ASE will take a new snapshot if you change set or add as flight plan in Briefing option.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic