SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain Series > Support for all the 'Ultimate' Series of Terrain Products
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flashing Lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TVC15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flashing Lights
    Posted: December-27-2008 at 10:59am
I am using UTX USA and GEX USA/CAN.  When flying and looking at the ground, all of the road traffic lights flash in unison from dim to bright.   On a clear night the roads look like strings of flashing christmas ornaments going bright to dim at the same time.  Is there a way to keep them from flashing?Confused
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2008 at 1:58pm
As in the real-world, when lights get temporarily obscured by clouds or buildings they seem to flicker on and off. Saying that, in the FSX world there are factors in place because of the scenery engine and so some compromises are taken for the UTX night lighting.

The UTX night lighting is created as a set of scenery objects. When you look down at the ground, the FSX scenery engine has to work out whether the object is blocked by another and if so hide it e.g. a building. With clouds, depending on their density, it needs to dim the level of light which it lets through or not. Also, the FSX scenery engine can batch drawing of multiple scenery objects together to reduce number of drawing calls it needs to make.

For performance reasons, UTX also creates its night lighting as a clustered set of scenery objects. This means that under certain circumstances, multiple of the night lights in the same cluster can flicker on and off at the same time. During development, the balance between size of the night lighting clusters for performance, and least amount of 'flickering' was fine-tuned. Unfortunately it can never be fully eliminated. Note that improvements in the batching of drawing calls were made in the FSX service packs, these helped improve the situation, so if you have not already done so you should install the FSX SP1 and SP2 service packs.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
Tailwinds View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tailwinds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2009 at 3:17pm

I'm a new UTX user and have all three volumes. I too have noticed the ground lights flickering on/off from above while flying and even after landing, I could see the various lights flickering in the distance from the nearby towns and villages at night. Is this a limitation or something that can be fixed?

Thanks.

quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2009 at 4:52pm
As per my previous answer, this is a limitation on the way that UTX night lighting and the FSX scenery engine interact which means that in the circumstances noted, there will always be the potential for some flickering lights.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic