SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Partner Forums > Opus Software
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flashing cloud texture

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flashing cloud texture
    Posted: December-07-2012 at 9:13am
Hi Stephen
I installed 2.70.2 beta and selected enable wind stabilisation, d/l GRIB forecast and force Sim Friendly GRIB Wind targets.

Cruising at FL240 and I'm getting two new behaviours that I haven't seen before.  

1. My wind target is showing 263/44 and FSX display is cycling between 275/43 and 262/42 about every 20 seconds with 275/43 prevailing most of that time.  Seems like the two values are fighting each otherLOL

2. The other issue I'm getting is a flashing high altitude texture that comes in every minute like clockwork.  The texture doesn't last long - just flash on/off.

<edit> I should also add that this behaviour ended as I descended and went below the recovery altitude.

Hope this helps!Smile

Cheers
Brent
i7-2700K @ 4.8 GHz, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro GEN 3, MSI GeForce GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme 3 Gb, 8Gb, WD Raptor 150Gb x3, WD 1 Tb, Crucial M4 SSD 64 Gb,TM Warthog HOTAS, W7 64bit, FSX with Accel
Opus Software View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2012 at 10:41am
Hi Brent

This is the big brother effect being tested in this beta. The LWE will not let FSX drift too far and too long from its target wind direction to prevent a major wind shift. FSX is trying to get out of sync but the LWE is bringing it back to the GRIB forecast target for that flight level. You should have noticed a new weather injection every minute as well to try and stop FSX from drifting too far off target. But FSX should settle back at its target, yours obviously didn't. Then as soon as you started to descend the sim recalculated to the new targets the LWE had set at the lower altitudes.

This behaviour gives me some more ideas for the next beta, because I think the LWE could have let FSX settle during the cruise only to reassert itself during the descent or if you ever started to climb again. I will implement this in the next beta.

I have no idea about flashing textures, nothing really to do with the LWE.

A very useful report Brent, I know what I have to do next now and know exactly how the LWE can handle this. I think with that in place your wind speed may have settled at 275 and then either drifted or jumped down on its own accord. Very useful, thanks.

Regards
Stephen
Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2012 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Opus Software Opus Software wrote:

snip....You should have noticed a new weather injection every minute as well to try and stop FSX from drifting too far off target.....snip

...I have no idea about flashing textures, nothing really to do with the LWE.

Hi Stephen
Perhaps the weather injection was what I was observing (it timed out every 60 sec)...but I was seeing a rapid overhead texture switching on/off when it occurred.  I thought it might be related to the change with "cirrus_overcast03.bmp" but that doesn't make much sense.LOL

The wind cycling approx 10 deg didn't unsettle the aircraft at all.

Regards
Brent
B777ER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B777ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2012 at 11:17am
I see it as well. I am thinking it has to do with that cirrus alpha mask texture that was included in the latest beta. I did not have it prior to this beta. I looked in my texture folder and the cirrus texture is now 1MB from the 86KB one I had in there. After I land I am going to replace it with the one I had (thank God I had a backup) and see if that fixes it. 

Stephen, I really think this should be made an option for users to use this texture.
Eric
Alvega View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2012 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by B777ER B777ER wrote:

I see it as well. I am thinking it has to do with that cirrus alpha mask texture that was included in the latest beta. I did not have it prior to this beta. I looked in my texture folder and the cirrus texture is now 1MB from the 86KB one I had in there. After I land I am going to replace it with the one I had (thank God I had a backup) and see if that fixes it. 

Stephen, I really think this should be made an option for users to use this texture.

That's what i was afraid of. I'm happy i didn't have time to install it yet.
I agree it would be better to have the option to install the bmp or not.
Alvega
Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2012 at 3:04pm
Alvega
I have installed it manually in the past to eliminate the 'cloud of doom' and not had any issues...best to wait for Stephen to weigh in on whether this is part of the issue I was experiencing.

Brent
B777ER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B777ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2012 at 5:28pm
Well, put my old cirrus texture back in and still seeing this flashing sky issue. I notice it only when up at altitude. It's getting very annoying and hope it gets fixed soonest. AS2012 does this when in another mode other than DWC. It's caused by an overload of simconnect not being able to handle all the data going through it. I wonder if Opus software has finally reached a level where the data that Stephen is adding to the program has finally overloaded simconnect as the sky flashes everytime the clouds update in the sim. Going to have to switch wx programs until this gets sorted because seeing this flash at night really becomes a distraction.
Eric
russianspd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russianspd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2012 at 7:21pm
I would think if OPUS is now trying to constantly keep the respective upper winds that the extra load might be the cause for the simconnect overload. 
molleh View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2012 at 9:55pm
If Opus is using Simconnect to update the weather/winds aloft, then the flashing sky is a permanent FSX bug. It happens when any program sending weather updates into FSX weather stations via Simconnect and you're at 15,000+ft altitude. The sky will flash briefly, like a frame or two.

I first saw this problem using the weather utility called Open Clouds. It would flash the sky every time the program was injecting weather. So I'm assuming that's exactly what is going on here as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russianspd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2012 at 10:07pm
The sky flashing also happens when you use REX's weather engine as well.
B777ER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B777ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2012 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by russianspd russianspd wrote:

The sky flashing also happens when you use REX's weather engine as well.

The only weather engine that did not do it was AS2012 in DWC mode until opus came along. I hope Opus now is not suffering the same result.
Eric

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russianspd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2012 at 11:58pm
I believe it was just stated above that it is an FSX issue NOT an OPUS one. Remember, OPUS is just the data. FSX is ultimately the decider of how the data is utilized and represented. So again, as Stephen has stated before, "STOP slamming OPUS for issues that don't even relate to it. ( with the slight possibility that the cirrus auto generation is the cause)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 4:39am
Thank you russianspd, he is right Eric. That wonderful AS DWC mode you keep raving about is NOTHING more than GLOBAL weather plus a few METARs injected to fool you in to believing you are seeing weather. The DWC is just static and global weather, that is, totally unreal and very simple. This was the only solution AS found to solve certain problems.

Our sky flashes are only momentary and are a result of FSX loading weather data (we inject the weather in less than 100ms), FSX does this every time it loads weather related data, including individual METARs. If you are noticing a few more updates with the latest beta then that will be my fault i am trying to get the beta to control FSX and prevent the internal wind bugs from taking over. If this concerns you just leave the beta testing alone and reinstall the previous release version. It will all be sorted soon as we examine and trial various different methods. But please start blaming FSX and not me, I have no control over the FSX code and I absolutely refuse to give you a global weather option. We are all about getting RW weather, not phoney global weather with a bit of eye candy.

Regards
Stephen
B777ER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B777ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 6:16am
Didn't mean to get you irked. I don't think I "keep raving" about DWC, it's just all I ever have used with that program so that is what I have to compare Opus with. What you say about how AS2012 works in DWC mode is very interesting as I have never read before exactly how DWC works. If what you said is correct than is all the more reason to stay with your program.
Eric

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 6:31am
Sorry Eric, having a bad day as they say.

Yes DWC is really very simple. It only takes a single METAR injection into FSX to set global weather then that cures all the FSX winds aloft problems because the weather everywhere is static. Then just insert a few METARs around the plane to give the impression of changing weather and you are done. Been there, tried it, rejected it.

Best regards
Stephen
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 6:32am
There is also a FIX for FSX for flashing clouds..   its been around for years

I apply this to all FSX installs and it requires the shader cache be flushed when first applied

Prepar3D has that fix already applied, FSX does not. Its been a issue since the day FSX was released and if you look at the date of that post you will see it was addressed years ago

The weather engine has nothing to do with clouds flashing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 6:36am
Once more to the rescue Nick

Many thanks and best regards,
Stephen
molleh View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 8:36am
Sorry Nick, that is not the issue being described here at all (although I can understand how you might think so, the description sounds similar)

You are describing the cloud redraw issue, what is being talked about in this thread is actually not related to clouds at all but a quick flash in the sky texture caused by a bug with Simconnect and how it handles weather data injections.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 8:44am
This can't be on all systems then, here the weather injection can hardly be noticed, its virtually instant with very little flicker. Is this not the case on all systems?

Stephen
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 8:55am
Then I think that settles how AS DWC mode is working..  I would still prefer real world data being calculated and updated in real time.

If it is a simconnect issue then it is something that is still not weather 'engine' related but is instead a coding problem that the defunked Aces team is no longer around to fix.

What I posted should be applied to all systems regardless.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 9:45am
I should also have said we found serious problems with the METAR updates within FSX, problems that meant any chance of providing real weather was nothing more than a pipe dream. FSX morphs all such weather as soon as it is injected, so it starts to change and bang goes your real weather, also the weather in between METAR sites is hopeless. That is why we looked at alternatives that the others hadn't bothered looking into.

But I'm still confused about the flashing, if you blink you can miss the weather injection here. Its nothing like the sky flash you get with every METAR injection.

Stephen
B777ER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B777ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 9:58am
Stephen, yes your are correct. It is a very quick flash. Much much less than what REX and AS2012 do when they inject weather (in the other two modes of AS2012, not DWC mode). That is why up until now the only thing I could use that would not give me a minute (litterally a minute long) multiple flashing in the upper atmosphere as the weather was injected was AS2012 in DWC mode. Your program seems to do it as well BUT it happens very very quickly and thus almost negligible. It is certainly worth it to have the much realistic weather your program outputs. It is even less noticeable during the day than at night.
Eric
Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 10:21am
Eric
I would agree - it does happen very quickly....perhaps the frequency of the updates (every minute) is what is noticeable.  Perhaps a  5-10 minute interval would work.  I suppose it depends on what aircraft speed you're cruising at and/or how rapidly you're ascending.

I've reverted back to 2.70.1 until Stephen and Cheryl can work their magicBig smile

BrentCool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 10:30am
I am going to get rid of the 1 minute refreshes, just call it an experiment that didn't quite work. Well it worked OK here but our system tends to behave itself. I also have some new ideas based on what has been reported. So best wait for 2.70.3. I will try to get all this current GRIB stuff sorted before Xmas break. We can return to it later after everyone has had a chance to fly with the next release version for a while.

We would then like to get on with Bump Aircraft (aircraft turbulence), camera view ordering, cirrus clouds and perhaps weather smoothing.

Regards
Stephen
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 10:51am
Originally posted by B777ER B777ER wrote:

Stephen, yes your are correct. It is a very quick flash. Much much less than what REX and AS2012 do when they inject weather.

Probably part of that is because Opus is a TRUE multi-thread application (not hyperthread, multi-thread) and makes full use of all the 'physical' cores on your processor. That and the TLC that goes into the design so such things are reduced or avoided.
B777ER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B777ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 10:52am
Sounds like a good plan. Looking forward to .3
Eric
ukflight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ukflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 1:56pm
@Nick - I assume it is just the shaders/Misc folder is cleared out not the misc folder under Shaders10
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 4:08pm
correct..  
ukflight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ukflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2012 at 3:07am
Thx.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic