SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Pieke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2017 at 5:38pm
30+ fps and Treacle?

I would call that great performance   
Bert
Golly777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golly777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2017 at 5:06am
Hi Bert.

Yeah, for a PMDG..... but I was really chuckling at the optimism that we all felt 4 years ago, at the new ddr4 and better cpus. Well I have a SOTA pc, pretty much, but because FSX is such a badly written piece of ......erm, software... it really hasn't improved much.

In the default Cessna, in vanilla FSX.....ie. an empty world, I get 300 fps..... but there is still stuttering when you pan around outside the aircraft. This gets worse the more you add.....add AS clouds and autogen, and even if you are still getting 200 fps, it still jerks around.

I guess it's the nature of the beast, as the sim never knows what you're going to do or where you going to go or look.

As NickN keeps saying....."it doesn't behave like a game."

So, we could get processors 10x faster than we have now, but FSX will always be blighted by the same "issues". We will NEVER have completely smooth 60fps simming. It is not Skyrim or GTA, where 60 fps locked means perfectly smooth as well. It is just not a comparable piece of software. And, of course, sceneries and addons just get harder to run (!) with 2mb, 4mb textures and so on.

But, having said that, when I run FSX as a sim, and not a game... ie. I sit in the cockpit and look through the glass, and don't start changing views all the time and panning around at 100 revs per minute, it flies VERY smoothly and importantly: predictably.

....and, given my current setup, I can enjoy a lot of nice scenery, ai traffic and complex addons, and never dip below 30 fps, even in an FTX airport and a PMDG.....which means take offs and landings are smooth and consistent, and it isn't a jerky slideshow. But, I do restrict myself to 1mb cloud textures in dxt form, and never choose 4mb aircraft textures if possible.

Four years ago, with a q6600, 4mb of ram and a gtx460, I couldn't do squat, and so went back to fs2004

So now, all is good

But FSX in its current form, 60 fps AND smooth, like the latest video games....no chance....not ever !
i5 7600k at 4.2 / gtx 1060 6gb / 16gb ddr4 at 2400 / samsung evo 850 - sounds good, but FSX still suxxxx ! (ASSC, REX ground and water, OrbX global and regional UK with landclass/ vectors. Old + Tired
Bert Pieke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Pieke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2017 at 12:03pm
Quote:

"when I run FSX as a sim, and not a game.."

Exactly!

Bert
Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2017 at 4:25am
Nice thread to revisit.
Now, maybe the answer is buried somewhere but is it correct that when using the "in FSX locked 30FPS and 1/2 refresh rate vsync method" (assuming a 60 Hz monitor) that the monitor draws two equal frames before processing the next frame from the GPU, (assuming the GPU can put out a constant 30 FPS)? Then draws that frame two times before processing the next, and so on...
Hans

W7/64 Ultimate, FSX Gold, SB-E 3930K @ 4.7, Sabertooth X79, GTX580, 4x2GB G.Skill RipjawsZ @ 2133-9-11-10-28-1T, Corsair H110+Obsidian 900D,Seasonic P-1000, GEX, UTX, UT2, REX, S-Tech LC, NGX.
Golly777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golly777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2017 at 10:03am
Think that's a question for NickN !

Way above my head.

He did say it isn't necessary with a powerful pc. I took this line out, and I just lock at 60 fps as I get that outside most addons in the air and looks nice and smooth.

In complex addons on the ground it goes down to 30 but stay in the cockpit its smooth enough to control.

I hate 30fps....locked.....always have.
i5 7600k at 4.2 / gtx 1060 6gb / 16gb ddr4 at 2400 / samsung evo 850 - sounds good, but FSX still suxxxx ! (ASSC, REX ground and water, OrbX global and regional UK with landclass/ vectors. Old + Tired
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic