SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

external fps limiter.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: external fps limiter.
    Posted: December-27-2010 at 5:26am
Hi,
Can  somebody guide me how to install the external fps limiter?
I downloaded it, unzipped it, but can not install it from its exe file.

Question: Does it really give a great increase in fps?

Thanks,
Christos 
Ulf B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ulf B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2010 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Christos Christos wrote:

Hi,
Can  somebody guide me how to install the external fps limiter?
I downloaded it, unzipped it, but can not install it from its exe file.

Hi Christos!

Nick posted a short description a long time ago here on SimForums, but I couldn't find the thread. But I've kept his instruction on my disk and here is a quote from Nicks instruction:

This was introduced in another forum
Credit goes to Gizmo and Noel for bringing to our attention
This may be one of the all-time best tweaks to use however at this point testing is limited to a small number of users
Unrar/unzip
Be aware that where you place the folder must remain or it will break its use and you will need to reconfigure the bat file
USE:
Run FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar and click SEARCH EXECUTABLE
browse for and select FSX.exe
set frame limit to 30 under MAXIMUM FPS
Click CREATE BAT
Once complete close the interface and use the created file: fsx.exe.limited.bat to start FSX (double click it)
set frame lock to UNLIMTED in FSX and use the AG slider to tune
You MUST have JAVA installed to use that interface

Now here is the deal... this attacks the UNLIMITED FRAME LOCK problem related to Vsync introduced by Aces in SP1/SP2. Instead of tuning the FRAME LOCK you will tune the AUTOGEN slider for smooth results where you are flying. Leave the FSX frame lock slider at UNLIMITED at all times.
You can fine tune this app as well...
I found 30 was the sweet spot for all occasions. I would suggest no less than 24 and no more than 30 but start with 30.
FSX must always be started by clicking the created command line BAT file.. NOT the FSX desktop icon
See if this has a positive effect... especially you i7 people
and try this WITHOUT the affinity mask setting in the config file

The issue this tool attacks is the one introduced with SP1/SP2 whereby Vsync creates HI/LOW stammer in the frame rate. Using this tool as posted will allow the full priority of UNLIMITED to the application by the hardware but governs the frame rate stammer.

You must have Java installed. The command file (bat file), that the tool creates, must be stored in the same folder as FPS_Limiter.exe.

Question: Does it really give a great increase in fps?

No. It limits the fps, which should give you a smoother flight with less stutters.

Ulf B
Asus Z87-EXPERT, i7 4770K @4.5Ghz, 16GB Corsair Vengance 2400MHz
EVGA GTX 780
2x Intel 520-serien 240GB SSD, 4x 2TB WD HDD
Win7 Pro
Christos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2010 at 3:52pm
Thanks a lot Ulf,
The thing is that according to Jesus's recomendations this limiter would have a massive performance increase!
Has anybody experienced this?

Christos
Superglide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2010 at 4:18pm
I've install FPS Limiter and started FSX with the *.bat file. I have limiter set to 30 and unlimited in FSX. However, when I press SHFT-Z, I still see frames well above 30. Everything is running smoothly but I expected to see nothing above 30. If I set frames in FSX to 30 without using the FPS Limiter, I then see max frames of 29.9 or 30 and smooth running. What am I missing here?
Joe Brown
W7 Pro 64b|i7 4770K @4.5|CORS H80i|ASUS Z87 Pro|EVGA GTX780|16GB CORS 9-11-11-31|FSX ACCL|Rosewill Blackhawk|
vic_baron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2010 at 4:44pm

Thanks a lot Ulf,
The thing is that according to Jesus's recomendations this limiter would have a massive performance increase!
Has anybody experienced this?

Christos
You will never get a massive increase from the limiter. What you will get is smoother performance and less wildly fluctuating frame rates. That's what it is designed to do.
But if you are looking for a big increase in frames - you won't find it with the limiter.

Vic
980x 4.43G P6X58D 1612 6-8-6 GTX680 DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, 3Ware 9650SE,Armor+ W764 Pro

3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 2-GTX780 SLI 1000W PSU 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W764 Home
aceridgey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceridgey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 1:56pm

Can someone point me in the direction of an up to date download location,

someone should put it on avsim, becuase every link i have come across is dead
Rastafari Worldwide. Musician playing Drums, Steel pan, Bass keys etc. Dreadlocked Rasta
Superglide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 3:47pm
There's a link in the second post above, from Ulf B.
Joe Brown
W7 Pro 64b|i7 4770K @4.5|CORS H80i|ASUS Z87 Pro|EVGA GTX780|16GB CORS 9-11-11-31|FSX ACCL|Rosewill Blackhawk|
Ulf B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ulf B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 3:50pm

Sorry, but the file seems not to be available at rapidshare any more.

Ulf B
EVGA GTX 780
Win7 Pro
aceridgey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceridgey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 4:59pm
yep link is dead
Rastafari Worldwide. Musician playing Drums, Steel pan, Bass keys etc. Dreadlocked Rasta
truck911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truck911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 5:07pm
http://www.venetubo.com/fsx/FPS_Limiter_0.2.rar

If you need something to open it download the applicable WinRAR 4.00 beta  from here http://www.rarlab.com/ 
Regards,

Gary

HAF932|GA-P67A-UD7|2600K@4.6 GHz|NH-D14| 2x4GB 1333GHz 7-7-7-24 1T |Dedicated FSX WD Black/64mb 1TBx2 Raid0| W7x64 600GB VRap| 3Ware 9650 w/BBU|GTX 580 | AX750 PSU|SMT750 UPS|ASUS 27"
yair1956 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yair1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2011 at 12:03am

Got the FPS_Limiter GUI Name & Path, clicking on the create bat, but nothing is happning ...any idea ????/

truck911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truck911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2011 at 6:31am
Originally posted by yair1956 yair1956 wrote:

Got the FPS_Limiter GUI Name & Path, clicking on the create bat, but nothing is happning ...any idea ????/

Doesn't work in DX10

USE:
Click CREATE BAT
Once complete close the interface and use the created file fsx.exe.limited.bat to start FSX (double click it)
Regards,

Gary

HAF932|GA-P67A-UD7|2600K@4.6 GHz|NH-D14| 2x4GB 1333GHz 7-7-7-24 1T |Dedicated FSX WD Black/64mb 1TBx2 Raid0| W7x64 600GB VRap| 3Ware 9650 w/BBU|GTX 580 | AX750 PSU|SMT750 UPS|ASUS 27"
bisailb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bisailb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2011 at 3:23am
I found that running an FPS Limiter is totally useless and unnecessary. Then again I am running a quad-core and Windows 7 64-bit so I guess it depends on your rig's setup. Personally, running at 22FPS with extremely smooth flight using FSX frame locking is better than higher frames with stutters, blurries and strange artefacts.

See my thread:
http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=37774&title=22fps-average-on-old-hardware

Oh yeah, and ENBSeries Mod is useless too. The only thing that was cool about it was the Night Vision mod but it depends on using ENBSeries so I've learned to live without it.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2011 at 3:40am
Originally posted by Ulf B Ulf B wrote:

Hi Christos!

Nick posted a short description a long time ago here on SimForums, but I couldn't find the thread. But I've kept his instruction on my disk and here is a quote from Nicks instruction:

This was introduced in another forum
Credit goes to Gizmo and Noel for bringing to our attention
This may be one of the all-time best tweaks to use however at this point testing is limited to a small number of users
Unrar/unzip
Be aware that where you place the folder must remain or it will break its use and you will need to reconfigure the bat file
USE:
Click CREATE BAT
Once complete close the interface and use the created file: fsx.exe.limited.bat to start FSX (double click it)
set frame lock to UNLIMTED in FSX and use the AG slider to tune
You MUST have JAVA installed to use that interface

Now here is the deal... this attacks the UNLIMITED FRAME LOCK problem related to Vsync introduced by Aces in SP1/SP2. Instead of tuning the FRAME LOCK you will tune the AUTOGEN slider for smooth results where you are flying. Leave the FSX frame lock slider at UNLIMITED at all times.
You can fine tune this app as well...
I found 30 was the sweet spot for all occasions. I would suggest no less than 24 and no more than 30 but start with 30.
FSX must always be started by clicking the created command line BAT file.. NOT the FSX desktop icon
See if this has a positive effect... especially you i7 people
and try this WITHOUT the affinity mask setting in the config file

The issue this tool attacks is the one introduced with SP1/SP2 whereby Vsync creates HI/LOW stammer in the frame rate. Using this tool as posted will allow the full priority of UNLIMITED to the application by the hardware but governs the frame rate stammer.

You must have Java installed. The command file (bat file), that the tool creates, must be stored in the same folder as FPS_Limiter.exe.

I pulled what you quoted above from the FSX tuning thread a long time ago after discovering the majority of the benefit was limited to the scenery being flown and how lazy the user is with respect to tuning on the fly. If the scenery is a over-stuffed and the hardware may not be top shelf (or the user can't find the courage to reduce a slider) then the limiter may help, but the bottom line is I have not used it in a very long time, and have no need for it.

I simply lock frames to 30 or 60 (depending on the complexity of the aircraft.. more complex =  30, less complex = 60) outside of heavy urban or large hubs and inside or entering a large urban area/hubs, I set to unlimited.

The FPS limiter can make a difference under the right circumstances and it does do what I posted, to a certain extent, but IMHO after the smoke clears its a placebo for the most part if one understands and correctly tunes FSX for the system which includes changing frame lock in-game as needed.  it's 6 of 1   or 1/2 dozen of the other

I fell for the FPS limiter a short while. Granted I was involved with GEX production which shortened my attention to testing but none the less, after some time using it I came to the conclusion I posted here and removed the above from the FSX tuning thread.

Weaker/older hardware may like that tool.. I dont care about weaker hardware. If you want to fly FSX pony up for the parts or stay with FS9

The hardware is what dictates the nonsense.. people buy cheap, or do not understand the BIOS or hardware/OS setup and instead look for tweaks..  or they simply cant accept 1 slider tick less and spend more time tweaking and less time flying.. the tweak threads at AVSIM are a mile long with people returning for more/another tweak, or, 'change my settings' posts. I have yet to see it stop with a list of fully satisfied users. Some say they are and one, two or three weeks later they are back with another issue, or later they post to a developer (and waste real time and money) their aircraft does not work right,... to find out its some "god be blessed" automated online tweak tool, or, 'miracle shader hack'

Its a never ending crock of crap is what it is...

We should all first consult the book of FSX, Chapter 2, verses 9 through 21, as the explanation and the result is exactly the same

Ulf B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ulf B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2011 at 11:07am

Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

Its a never ending crock of crap is what it is...

Agreed LOL

Ulf B
EVGA GTX 780
Win7 Pro
skipph View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2011 at 12:23pm
Well said Nick.   Skip
Asus Rampage 4 Ex 2011 Int 3930K OCZ Ver3 240GB boot OCZ Revo 480GB stor GSk DDR3-2400x4096x4 850watt ps EVGA 780 W7 64 Noct14, UTX Al, USA, Can, Eur. GEX USA, Can,Eu.AFME.ATPAC. FSX Gl Acc,ASA,REX
TheFamilyMan View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2011 at 3:34pm

I concur with your assessment Nick.  I have tried most of the snake oils in hope of the 'miracle cure', and in the end I've always ended up with BP=!0 and TBM= being the only tweaks with tangable value for my setup (though I am experimenting with running the texture loader threads hypertheaded...forgive my transgressions).  IMO FSX is incurably FUBAR (but when it sings to me I forget all that):  4 years later and still no rig can max it out.  My hope rests now in 'Flight'.  BTW, I tried and abandoned the external fps limiter as well.

Rod O.

i7 4770k @4.5/4.3, Asus Z87 Pro, 2x4GB Samsung green DDR3 @2133 cas 9, msi 780 TF OC, Corsair TX-750 PSU, Silver Arrow SB-E HSF

Win 7 Ult 64, Asus 24" HD 2ms monitor
ponyboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ponyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2011 at 7:29pm
Ha, and after five years of sitting on my shelf I have finally decided to install FSX on my new PC to see what  the rave is all about.  Gee, I would have thought after five years you guys would have worked out all the bugs for me LOL

But that's why I am also keeping FS2004 fully intact on another drive so I can still have a flightsim rather than a tweaksim.

Clutch
Ulf B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ulf B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2011 at 7:53pm

No need to spend much time tweaking. Most of all these exotic tweaks is not needed and seems to make more harm than good. Nicks advice on how to setup the system and FSX is good enough.

But to be fair - As far as I remember from the time with FS2002 and FS9 there was a lot of tweaking. And I guess there are some FS9-tweakers still around?

EDITED: I almost forgot - The best FSX tweak ever: http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=11307.0

Ulf B
EVGA GTX 780
Win7 Pro
fespezim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fespezim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 8:13am
Just press the executable file and it´ll work behind the fsx. Doesnt appear as a commun program.For me, it worked very well. Don´t look for it in the windows explorer.
aceridgey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceridgey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 9:19am

Nvidia inspector has a fantastic limiter!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic