SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Flight Simulator General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

error scenery cfg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: error scenery cfg
    Posted: July-11-2010 at 10:43am
could someone explain what i can do to remove this error in fsx?
after some download of scenery I got the error
SCENERY.CFG FILE ERROR INVALIDE REMOTE SCENERY AREA 115
after remove the scenery I still got this message
do you know what I can do to get rid off it?

Paula

paula
Ulf B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ulf B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2010 at 12:11am
Hi,

Try the tool FSTscenery.exe, which is provided by Steve Greenwood. You'll find it at his site http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/
Click on the link Resources and then on the link Utility to sort and renumber scenery.cfg layers.

Follow the instructions in the readme file carefully. Make a backup copy of your scenery.cfg file before using any tool or if your'e editing the file manually.

Good luck Smile

Ulf B
Asus Z87-EXPERT, i7 4770K @4.5Ghz, 16GB Corsair Vengance 2400MHz
EVGA GTX 780
2x Intel 520-serien 240GB SSD, 4x 2TB WD HDD
Win7 Pro
paula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2010 at 1:24pm
could you help me a little more.
i cannot find my scenery cfg folder.
and which folder is the tool
and can i copy then to bring it in the same folder
could you respond

paula
paula
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2010 at 10:18pm
AREA 115 error

This is because of some bullsh*t addon you installed/uninstalled recently..   that is RENO from Acceleration and something you installed/uninstalled recently destroyed FSX/Acceleration RENO area

its been a problem for years and to date I have never found out what garbage freeware or payware does the damage.. I wish I knew so I could tell the developer what an asshole he/she is

Repairing the scenery config is not the answer, I am afraid you will need to reinstall at minimum Acceleration to fix the Reno damage, possibly FSX too.

The issue is because the scenery.cfg HAS area 115 listed CORRECTLY but the actual FILES for RENO, NV have been DELETED 

LCSims View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LCSims Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 1:02am
I never saw that the OP has Acceleration installed, so how did you come to that conclusion?

In a non-Acceleration version of FSX layer 115 is the Addon Scenery folder. And yes, many poorly setup installers/uninstallers will take out the installation folder.

To the OP, open Windows Explorer and navigate to your FSX installation. Expand the FSX display to see if you have a \FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery and a \FSX\Addon Scenery\texture folder. If you do not, while still in Windows Explorer make new folders as named above. Start FSX and see if the error goes away.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 1:17am

I have seen this same error posted over and over again in forums since late 2007.. and as I said, I wish I knew what idiot developer made a uninstaller that takes out the 115 area files

[Area.115]
Title=Reno
Local=Scenery\Cities\Reno
Layer=115
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

that doesnt mean this issue is exacly the same.. it may be something else,  but every 115 missing error I have ever seen is Reno

it may be a scenery.cfg list error

but getting back to answering the question, Scenery.cfg in Windows7 or Vista is

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg

drop the FSTscenery.exe in that directory and run it

paula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 2:19am

well, i cannot drop this to the scenery, i cannot copy that file and if I move it I got a lot of abacadabra.

do have another idea how to put this file into scenery?

b.tw there is also another area.222 which come up.
I have seen this before by global2010 .
i unstalled it completely and did run again and it was gone.
But now I installed a photoscenery from AIRHISPANIA I got this 2 messages.
After unstalled it it stays.

paula
paula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 4:38am
in the meantime i created a new map and put the scenery cfg and the tool in it.
i run the tool and a new scenery org was created.
i put the new file instead of the older one and reboot.
but nothing happened, the 115 invalid remote error came back and also the .222
there are only 121 so where the 222 comes from i have not a clue.

paula
paula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 5:01am
lcsims,

there was indeed the addon scenery name without the the 2 folders.
i put this in and started fsx up.
in the scenery library there is now the addon included scenery folder and texture folder, but
the errors are still there.
according nicks picture above the required = false is now changed into true
but no luck so far

paula
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 11:35am
i put the new file instead of the older one and reboot.

I dont understand that

All you need to do in drop the exe file FSTscenery.exe  into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\ and run it

It makes a backup and then writes a correctly outlined scenery.cfg. No need to move any scenery.cfg file or reboot the computer after running FSTscenery.exe and it will list errors if found, just start FSX and let it rebuild.

If you still get errors then this problem is exactly what I posted above.. you have scenery that is listed in the scenery.cfg which have no files associated with them and at some point were deleted.

This can happen if

a. you uninstalled a scenery product that the developer did not design a automatic removal of the entry in the scenery.cfg entry. Its usually always best to remove the entry manually from the list before uninstalling scenery just to be sure

b. you installed/uninstalled some product that not only removed itself but other scenery folders/files, which is what I have seen happeing with area 115 for years, http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=284469&mode=threaded&pid=1764411 not to say this situation is the same
paula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 12:34pm
well, let me explain what I did after having the first reply at my question.
I created a new folder where I put in the tool file and also the scenery folder as suggested in one folder according the replies.
Than I run the exe file and as discribed it created a new file scenery org.
than I took out the scenery old and replaced it by the new one.
Than I could see the differences.
all the other suggestions like add on scenery and textures within fsx did not solve the problem eighter.
so I understand now that there is no solution other then start again but that is too much work in relation to the problem.
Could I do something else?
I have a back up made a few weeks ago and I could install that one again.
At that moment I didnot have the errors.
Or could I delete area 115! I dont know the consequence yet.
I have also area222 do you know what that could be because there are only 121 numbers in the layers of the scenery.

paula
LCSims View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LCSims Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by paula paula wrote:

I have also area222 do you know what that could be because there are only 121 numbers in the layers of the scenery.

If you are trying to edit the scenery.cfg file in the FSX directory your efforts are being wasted, as that's only a backup for FSX to use if it finds no other copy.

You don't mention your operating system, so t's difficult to say where your working copy of the scenery.cfg file is located. On my XP system it is located here;

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

Find your working copy and you might have a chance at clearing the problem.
paula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 1:29pm

yes indeed I was on the wrong path.

according nick I had to follow program data ms/fsx
so Iput in the tool and run.
after this I had 2 new errors one is area 124 and the other one is area213
after this I un tabbed in setting library of fsx the reno and addon
now area 124 is gone but i still have area 213
any suggestions?

paula
luap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 2:36pm
Ok... I am not being critical, just curious, and this is an observation that blankets many of the problems I see being addressed here on Simforums and many others.  When problems take days to resolve, why are people hesitant to just "start over"?  Using tools like CCleaner, FSX and all of its addons can be easily removed and the registry scrubbed.  A clean install of FSX resolves most if not all problems realted to the software itself (hardware, driver and external software use issues are another discussion).

I dabble all the time and I make wreckage of FS on a regular basis.  Rather than fight it, I simply clean house and reinstall.  Sure it takes time but a fresh install of FSX and my addons nets benifits such as less clutter of addons that I no longer use.

Paul Scott Bartelt

The grass is always greener over the septic tank

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 2:58pm
Unless a user understands the scenery.cfg and can go though and verify the entries showing up in error are just line errors, if there are files that have been deleted that are in fact part of FSX then there is only one way to fix, reinstall.. I would never, ever perform a repair install.

If the areas in question are simply leftovers from another addon that was at one point deleted then the lines can simply be removed and FSTscenery.exe can fix the list.

paula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 3:21pm
ok thanks to all your input the problem is solved.
what i have done is, moved to the right path and run the tool.
there were errors again and by untab within the library of fsx The addon one and the other
one I found in germany west from aerosoft.
so i uninstalled that one and installed again.
now no errors anymore.
thanks to you all.

regarding luap
well i have done a reinstall of fsx many times.
to start from scratch and follow the guidelines of nick and install all harware again and many many photografic sceneries and so on, cost me at least 4 to 5 days full days.
so if i can avoid that its fine for me.
besides this I like to learn how to solve a problem.
and with all the help of the forum its part of the fun!

i have another question and will put this in a new thread, perhaps you can help me with some knowledge

paula
luap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 3:48pm

to start from scratch and follow the guidelines of nick and install all harware again and many many photografic sceneries and so on, cost me at least 4 to 5 days full days.
so if i can avoid that its fine for me.

You must have quite the library.  I have FSX, Acceleration, FEX, Ultimate Traffic 2, VOX ATC and one scenerey addon that will remain unnamed because Nick would probably brain me for using it.  I can get up and running in about 2 hours. 

besides this I like to learn how to solve a problem.
and with all the help of the forum its part of the fun!

We have no fun here, Nick makes sure of that.  Yes, dinking and dabbling seems to have supplanted actual playing of the game because we sure like to do an awful lot of the fomer leaving little room for the latter.  FS is as much of an obsession for what we can add to it as it is for what we can do with it.  Glad to have you join the insanity.  Some of us may have CP in our sigs but it is the whole community here at Simforums that provides the knowledge and support of all these great F1 products.

Paul Scott Bartelt

The grass is always greener over the septic tank

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic