SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ENB BLOOM MOD: NICKS CONFIG UPDATED

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ENB BLOOM MOD: NICKS CONFIG UPDATED
    Posted: December-04-2009 at 10:35pm

Just a FYI    if you are using the ENB bloom mod with GEX Africa and the Middle East, it really does not work that well in the dryer regions of the planet because the FSX render engine does not take into account the far brighter and more intense sunlight that appears in these location.   The ENB mod will overdarken the tiles in these locations because they are made to reflect light correctly and they are sensitive to lighting changes.  They will darken far more than they should with ENB enabled so you may need to adjust

[COLORCORRECTION]
DarkeningAmountDay=xx

to a far lower number than you would use elsewhere in the world, or not use the bloom mod at all in the desert and drier/brighter regions

the issue is the FSX render engine does not understand 'brighter tropics' and Aces tried to hide that with completely washed out and over-brightened desert, savanna and mid east texture sets.

You can also adjust the monitor brightness control a bit in the driver to compensate for the FSX lighting too    its really a balancing act between ENB and driver control brightness that can be tricky to get right.

It would have been great if FSX understood 'brighter sun'   but it doesn't   just like it does not understand 'dark night'   Big smile

Note that this mod may not work for all systems... do be sure to set the refresh rate for your monitor in the INI file as noted below.

There can be several other reasons why this may not work for some systems. Drivers, OS, hardware can all play into the result. 

I removed the harder hitting performance features of this mod in the settings below as they may be great for artistic screenshots but to me offer little in the way of realism. The system/drivers in use will make the final call on performance and how it may change. Most find little or no perf loss.

I have been getting a lot of PM’s asking for my ENBseries HDR Bloom settings.

What I use you may not like. In my sim I do not like excessively bright sky, washed out relections on aircraft or very dark ground that is not true to real life.

My settings for that tweak are designed to correct the lighting on the ground during the day, enhance and corrects ground lighting at sunrise and sunset and correct the level of light at night but at the same time compensate for the reduction so city lighting is rendered correctly and stars can be seen.

During the day it creates a natural "hot spot" in reflective surfaces based on sun position without the excessive 'wash' and darkens the shadow areas. The effect is sublte at times and more dramatic at others which is exactly how I like my sim.. very dynamic, surprising, ..  and not 'static' in lighting changes

They should compensate and correct the ground texture light 'bug' at night when cockpit lights are turned on.

You may even find they fix the excessively bright cockpit lights in some aircraft

If you use these settings be advised they are made so the monitor levels do not need to be adjusted for night flying in the driver. (contrast/brightness should remain the same)

They will provide a natural ‘lift’ in light to the horizon and to reflective surfaces as the sun rises and sets.

However ALL monitors are different and what I post may need to be adjusted to your liking or monitor but do not be hasty in making such changes as these settings work together for day and night and for dusk/dawn. Changing them too much may result in undesireable results especially at dusk/dawn.

I can not say how well these settings will work with other addons outside of the GEX Europe coverage area. I tuned these settings specifically for the GEX Europe textures based on their special design and sensitivity with respect to lighting

Instructions:

1. If you do not have the DX and .ini files for this hack, first download them from here and extract them from the RAR file. (Winrar will do this)

http://speedskater.ru/download/arccvid/EMBserie_for_MSFS.rar

2. Open the file enbseries.ini in NOTEPAD, go to the EDIT menu and select: SELECT ALL. This will highlight the entire contents.

3. Copy the settings list below (BEGIN COPY)  and then paste it into the enbseries.ini file OVERWRITING all the contents. If you did it right, the top of the list should read:

//GEX Europe ENB Bloom Settings by Nick Needham

4. Close the file and allow it to SAVE

5. Place both the d3d9.dll and the enbseries.ini file in the MAIN FSX directory with FSX.exe and boot a flight.

6. To turn the effect ON and OFF in the sim, hit: SHIFT-F12

ON = The ground will darken somewhat.. how much depends on what time of day/year, weather and sun position.

NOTE: If you see no change while switching this effect ON and OFF using SHIFT-F12 in FSX, something is not working right.  ... the files may not be in the right place or the ini file edits were not made correctly.

ADJUSTMENTS:

Be aware, I balanced these very carefully with other settings in that config and to produce natural changes in the sim. If adjustments are desired I would focus on the following, but do give the list I posted some hours of flying to be sure they need to be trimmed.  

If you wish to change the lighting for DAY, adjust this value:

[COLORCORRECTION]

DarkeningAmountDay=25      

+ = darker

- = lighter

I would not change that more than +/- 5 

GammaCurveDay=-3

- values = brighter

+ values = darker

Very sensitive and critical .. +/-  1 or 2 at most

If you wish to change the lighting for NIGHT, adjust this value:

[COLORCORRECTION]

DarkeningAmountNight=35      +/-  5-10 at most

GammaCurveNight=-3

+ = darker night

- = lighter night

I would not change GammaCurveNight unless you alter the DarkeningAmountNight and need to trim a bit more 

[ENGINE]

DisplayRefreshRateHz=60 <------ MAKE SURE this is set to your monitor refresh rate (see next post)

UNINSTALL:  REMOVE the 2 files d3d9.dll and the enbseries.ini from the main FSX directory

BEGIN COPY---------------------------------------------------

//GEX Europe ENB Bloom Settings by Nick Needham

[PROXY]

EnableProxyLibrary=0

InitProxyFunctions=0

ProxyLibrary=

[GLOBAL]

UseEffect=0

AlternativeDepth=1

AllowAntialias=0

BugFixMode=0

SkipShaderOptimization=0

QuadVertexBuffer=0

EnableShaders_3_0=1

UseMRTRendering=0

AdditionalConfigFile=enbseries2.ini

[EFFECT]

EnableBloom=1

EnableOcclusion=0

EnableReflection=0

EnableMotionBlur=0

EnableWater=0

EnableShadow=0

DepthBias=0

EnableDepthOfField=0

[INPUT]

KeyUseEffect=123

KeyBloom=120

KeyOcclusion=121

KeyReflection=122

KeyCombination=16

KeyScreenshot=44

KeyShadow=119

KeyWater=118

KeyShowFPS=106

[REFLECTION]

ReflectionPower=60

ChromePower=60

UseCurrentFrameReflection=1

ReflectionQuality=1

ReflectionSourceSpecular=50

ReflectionSourceTFactor=50

UseAdditiveReflection=1

ReflectionDepthBias=0

UseLowResReflection=1

ReflectionSinglePass=1

UseEnvBump=0

EnvBumpAmount=100

EnvBumpOffset=100

ReflectionFlip=0

[BLOOM]

BloomPowerDay=7

BloomFadeTime=400  

BloomConstantDay=1

BloomQuality=0

BloomScreenLevelDay=30

BloomCurveDay=0

BloomPowerNight=0

BloomConstantNight=0  

BloomCurveNight=0

BloomScreenLevelNight=10

BloomAdaptationScreenLevel=24

BloomAdaptationMultiplier=100

BloomAllowOversaturation=1

BloomMaxLimit=100

[SSAO]

UseFilter=1

OcclusionQuality=2

FilterQuality=1

DarkeningLevel=15

BrighteningLevel=20 

IlluminationLevel=20  

AdditiveIlluminationLevel=25

UseAmbientOcclusion=1

UseIndirectLighting=1

FadeDistance=50

UseForAlphaTest=0

UseForAlphaBlend=0

[COLORCORRECTION]

DarkeningAmountDay=25

ScreenLevelDay=50

ScreenLevelNight=1

DarkeningAmountNight=35

GammaCurveDay=-3

GammaCurveNight=-3

ColorSaturationDay=1

ColorSaturationNight=1

UsePaletteTexture=0

[WATER]

UseWaterDeep=0

WaterDeepness=20

WaterQuality=0

[SHADOW]

ShadowFadeStart=40

ShadowFadeEnd=80

ShadowAmountDay=50

ShadowAmountNight=40

ShadowScreenLevelDay=40

ShadowScreenLevelNight=30

ShadowQuality=1

UseShadowFilter=0

FilterQuality=2

ShadowBlurRange=30

[ENGINE]

ForceAnisotropicFiltering=0

MaxAnisotropy=8

ForceDisplayRefreshRate=0

DisplayRefreshRateHz=60

[MOTIONBLUR]

MotionBlurQuality=1

MotionBlurVelocity=0

MotionBlurRotation=0

[PERPIXELLIGHTING]

SpecularColorMin=0

SpecularColorMax=100

SpecularColorMultiplier=100

SpecularGlossinessMin=0

SpecularGlossinessMax=100

SpecularGlossinessMultiplier=100

[DEPTHOFFIELD]

DOFQuality=2

DOFNumberOfPasses=1

DOFFocusRange=50

DOFBlurinessRange=10

END COPY----------------------------------------------------------

You CAN use the FSX light bloom feature with those settings above however they are made so users can enjoy bloom without the FSX bloom checkbox enabled or the perf hit the FSX bloom setting places on a system running DX9

Note this hack can NOT be used with DX10

The settings I posted should create some very awesome and realistic sunrises and sunsets without the excessive daytime bloom the default ini file creates and is difficult to tune out however the effects are not by any means limited to that time of day.

Note the images above include my Sunfix Mod which can be found here:

http://www.fswaterconfigurator.com/downloads.htm

Nick and Paul's Sun Mod..   the installer will allow you to choose which to install.. 

NOTE: This mod will overwrite any addon that changes the sun and its size/intensity but can be uninstalled/changed. If you use other addons that change sun be aware the they can overwrite the one in the package above if you change themes and do not disable sun changes.

One other item, I do not use the default FSX haze layer. Its far too hard. I use Active Sky Advanced and set it to replace the haze layer in FSX which creates the a soft mist instead of the hard fog/haze default FSX displays. Other products of that type may provide a similar replacement.

ENJOY!

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2009 at 7:08pm

One item I forgot to post.. 

In the file enbseries.ini

[ENGINE]

DisplayRefreshRateHz=60  <--------  Make sure this is set to your monitors refresh rate

Most LCD's are 60hz, some can be higher and CRT monitors can be far higher than TFT

So verify the MONITOR REFRESH RATE in the Windows DISPLAY properties and set that line value to the same as your monitor in Windows

And on other settings..  

[BLOOM]

BloomPowerDay=5     <----  this can be nudged up to between 6-10 for brighter hotspots off reflective surfaces.. 7 does well

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 6:37pm

I wanted to add one other item to this thread

Although the ENB mod can be nice for daytime and even dusk if it set up right, night flying still tends to be a little on the dark side with reference to the gamma levels

For those that like a bit more robust lighting at night, disable the mod (SHIFT-F12) and using the driver control panel to raise contrast about 10-15% and dropping the brightness about 10% (you must adjust for best results and your monitor) is an option and will provide a much higher impact with night lighting and stars but keep the ground textures dark.

Dont forget to reset the driver levels to default for daytime flying

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic