SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CYPQ questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryJet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CYPQ questions
    Posted: December-17-2016 at 12:35pm
Hi,

Purchased CYPQ the other day and have two questions for the developers.

1. Why is the start position for Rwy27 so far up the runway? There is a taxiway that goes to the beginning of said runway but Airport Design Editor shows the starting position way forward of there.

2. I use FSCommander as a flight planner and moving map. I've rebuilt the FSCommander database but for some reason it's getting confused by two files (XS_CYPQ.bgl and CYPQAirport.bgl) and not giving me any information on the airport (parking spaces, taxiways, runways, frequencies, etc.) I don't think you guys are the problem as Avilasoft EFB reads your airport files and correctly displays all the information. I'll bring this up on the FSCommander forum and in case he needs these two *.bgl files is it OK to send them to him?

TIA,
--
Jerry
JerryJet View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryJet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2016 at 1:06pm
Hi again,

Knew this would happen. Reinstalled the Database manager executable for FSCommander which solved the problem with #2. Ghost in the machine.
--
Jerry
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2016 at 1:48pm
Not sure what you mean by starting position..  

Google shows CYPQ - 27 here; https://goo.gl/maps/2ZvgmXKLhMz  which nearly matches the sim render right down to the slightly offset taxi line.

EDIT:  Do you mean where the sim starts the flight if RWY 27 is selected?  I have always taxied from the terminal or parking so I didn't notice it during testing.  When setting a direct boot to RWY 27 the plane does sit down the runway at the taxi crossing line for RWY 13

Allen will have to jump in here for this one.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2016 at 2:00pm
Follow up...

I see that real world CYPQ has a 'displaced threshold' marking where the sim boots RWY 27   https://goo.gl/maps/wrsFtkstSTv

That means takeoffs from the beginning of 27 are fine, but landings must take place past that threshold line

Perhaps the data for this airport has the start point buggered up and has it at the threshold point instead of the beginning of the runway.

Again, Allen will have to comment further on this.

JerryJet View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryJet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2016 at 3:55pm
Hi Nick,

I used SkyVector.com for the airport info. They list Rwy 9-27 as 5000 ft, not 7000ft as your AFCAD does. And there's no mention of a displaced threshold on their site. 2000ft seems a huge displacement so I'm guessing they just didn't have any paint left to finish the extension.

No big thing. I was just wondering.
--
Jerry
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2016 at 4:28pm
The SkyVector information about CYPQ is grossly out of date. Looks like it is based on free and poor quality US military data which hasn't been updated for donkey's years.

Starting around 2011 they added a new terminal, extended the main runway to 7000 ft and paved another runway to replace the previous grass strip that was there. Having flown in/out of that airport in real life a few times they have done a lot of work to expand and improve it from when I first went there.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2016 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by JerryJet JerryJet wrote:

Hi Nick,

there's no mention of a displaced threshold on their site.

The runway is clearly marked for displaced threshold in real life and as Jeff said the data you are looking at is very old.

As for why the plane starts there in the sim, that I cant answer. I am not a XS developer, just trying to lend a hand till they can respond. Perhaps the information I posted might be a clue.

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2016 at 5:56pm
I can answer this question.   The default FSX version of CYPQ did not have the extended runway part of 27.   We added the extension but kept the main taxiways the same.

Could we have added an extended taxiway path and moved the start location back up the runway ? Yeah.  But, at the time I was probably thinking "don't fix whats not broke" when it comes to the traffic patterns.   Sometimes I think that there may be reason why things are located where they are.    And, even though the parking at CYPQ was way off and had to be reworked, the original taxiways were spot on from an accuracy standpoint.

P.S.-As far as FSCommander goes.  I am glad you back with us because that question will come up again.

It is going to be interesting to see what we do in the future with XpressSim airports.   Compared to the Cityscapes, all the problems during testing pretty much have to do with the airport portions.   And, the airports take more time and frustration.    If the Cityscapes end up being more popular, then the airports may end up becoming more rare due to extended support issues.   And, at the low price we are asking, the support and patching could become a factor when it comes to future viability.

Allen

JerryJet View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryJet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 11:32am
Allen,

Back to square one. Subsequent runnings of the FSCommander Database Manager still fail when reading CYPW and 3W9, the only two XpressSim airports I have installed.

FYI Here's some snippets from the Database Manager produced log file showing the error encountered.

00001 , 0211 , CYPQ  - Peterborough
Error detection and correction in ReadAirportSubsection: CYPQAIRPORT.BGL (#9)
E:\P3D3\SCENERY\XPRESSSIMCANADA\scenery\CYPQAirport.bgl

00002 , 0210 , 3W9   - Middle Bass-East Point
Error detection and correction in ReadAirportSubsection: 3W9AIRPORT.BGL (#9)
E:\P3D3\SCENERY\XPRESSSIMUSA\scenery\3W9Airport.bgl

I'll take this matter up with FSCommander support, but in other matters concerning AFCADS he requests sending him the *.bgl in question. So I hope it's alright sending the two airports listed above.
--
Jerry
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 6:20pm
On a rare occassion or two, I remember users have issues with the repositioned airports in UTX and FSCommander.   But, they were isolated.

I am not really familiar with the FS COmmander.  But, if it is popular, I may see if I can get a copy to test with.
Allen

JerryJet View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryJet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2016 at 8:53am
Hi Allen,

It's popular enough that I'm wondering why no one else has chimed in to confirm or contradict a problem. FSCommander has a try before you buy mode that will run for 15-30 minutes before shutting down. The Airport Information window lists many things including the filename it's getting the information from.

I'm sending FSC support the two AFCADs. We'll see what happens.
--
Jerry
JerryJet View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryJet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2016 at 11:18am
Hi all,

With the help of FSCommander support we've determined the problem being CYPQ installed in the "<P3D root>\Scenery" directory. Once I moved the XpressSim folders out of there things began working without error.

The P3D SDK explains installing addon scenery but never explicitly states not to use the P3D default scenery folder. I know recent updates suggest leaving the P3D root directory alone, but it's mostly ignored to date. I guess the real answer is above my paygrade.

BTW, this is really, really nice scenery. Just walking around the airport shows the attention to detail. Even the taxiway lines are straight.

Think CYQX, Gander Int'l. I know it's way out there but I like to stop by once in a while to say "Thanks." I think the people deserve some notoriety for what they did on that day.
--
Jerry
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2016 at 3:20pm
Jerry,

Thanks for the update.   Moving the scenery does prevent a bit of a challenge.   I do remember hearing that LM was at one time pushing an initiative to not use the root folder.

You probably moved the scenery files and then changed the SCENERY.CFG file directly with the new paths.     This will work of course, but beware of side effects.  For example, you will not be able to configure the scenery from the XpressSim interface if you want to.  Also, when you install future products in the same region (i.e. another XpressSim Canada product), it is going to add a new scenery layer for Canada by default, resulting in 2 layers.

I will try and look for ways that we change the XpressSim interface to support installation outside of the normal root path.    Most likely, we would need to add another entry for "install target" to the XPressSim Platform Assistant.  Right now, XpressSim uses the "Executable" path defined in the Platform Assistant to determine the root folder.    

Also, I appreciate the nice comments.   The point of XpressSim is to find a good balance between detail, performance and cost effectiveness.   The all-important press releases are finally coming out in a day or two.  Based on the comments we have received from limited exposure so far, things should go well.

Lastly, as far a CYQX goes, I looked at it and that would certainly be a good target airport in Canada.     Jeff (one of my business partners) just moved to Newfoundland.  So, I am sure he would certainly be interested in us creating that one ;)

BTW-That Gander story is pretty awesome.  I had to look it up as I never heard about it previously.  

Allen

quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2016 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by akriesman akriesman wrote:

Lastly, as far a CYQX goes, I looked at it and that would certainly be a good target airport in Canada.     Jeff (one of my business partners) just moved to Newfoundland.  So, I am sure he would certainly be interested in us creating that one ;)

Yes, that's a great choice. I'd also like to do Deer Lake (CYDF) as well as its the airport I now get to fly in/out of on my trips.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic