SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Partner Forums > FSiPanel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Challenge RNAV 02 MHTG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-P Garraio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Challenge RNAV 02 MHTG
    Posted: November-15-2014 at 12:45pm
Hi guys,

Following a challenge request by one of you, I have flown this approach, yu can see the result here :

video

This approach is very challenging due to the terrain on final and around the airport, it is as well a high altitude airfield with 45m width runway 1800m long.

You can fly this approach using the new STAR feature, I choose to fly it on the PMDG 737 at MLW.

Looking at my approach, you will notice some errors :-( training comes with some errors and this is why we train this kind of airport before flying the real thing!

You can find the approach charts there:

charts

If you feel like taking the challenge, please put any comments, reports, suggestions and landing reports on this topic.

Safe Landings,

J-P
FSiPanel for FSX
www.fsipanel.com
Jean-Pierre Garraio
simbio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simbio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 1:42pm
It's the first airport I tested with this new version, actually the Vor approach, which is challenging also.
I never understand the Holding pattern on TNT as it is the opposite where you heading for descent.
In regards of the RNP approach, I have the scenery, not so great in quality, but more difficult to archive as with the flat default scenery of FSX.
The terrain in the final of RWY 02 is not flat it follow the hills so you psychologically stay more high and you end up on floating.
On the final turn, you have the feeling of loosing the left wing.
I still can't get it right and need more practice I always overrun and destroy the aircraftCry.

What kind of software you use to record your video Jean-Pierre?

We should create a compilation with all those difficult approach even the kay Tak, which is more easy to archive.

Thank's for this update and for making great this software.
It's the first time that I buy a software and get incredible future on month update for free.
J-P Garraio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-P Garraio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2014 at 2:48am
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback! Yes quite challenging, we will add other challenging approaches later.

I use Action for recording, easy and user friendly!

Cheers,

J-P
FSiPanel for FSX
www.fsipanel.com
Jean-Pierre Garraio
Papangue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papangue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2014 at 12:54pm
I tried with a B777-300ER (the airfield looks adequate to CAT D Aircraft) proceeding with the given Jeppesen RNP 02 Approach. It looks that the Missed approach point TG010 is coded as a fly by instead of a fly over point. As a result I undershot the runway on first attempt in base turn. Second attempt after G/A, passing TG011 at the MAP 4194 ft (4144+50ft margin) with HDG Hold then visual approach it is difficult to turn base with a normal bank angle: Landing weight 230T gives a vref 30=143kt+5knt for the wind, equals 148kts. Very tight...
I will try a third attempt by tomorrow. Anyway, thanks for the nice practice and the challenge J.P!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-P Garraio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2014 at 1:00pm
Nice! I have to try with the 777.

The final turn is very low if you follow the route.
Don't feel confortable with a 30 degrees bank turn below 500 ft.

Special approach requiring training :-)

J-P
FSiPanel for FSX
www.fsipanel.com
Jean-Pierre Garraio
Papangue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papangue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 1:38am
Third and forth successfull attempts. Inspired by viewing JP video, I used a constant and high bank angle of almost 30 degrees to join the center line following the papi path after passing TG011 and it matched. It is hard to disregard and not go around when the EGPWS is yelling at you TERRAIN TERRAIN - PULL UP. I could have used the Terrain inhibit but it is definitly not a good idea in regard with airmanship, I think ;). 
I can imagine the fear of some pilots with a slight drifting eastward wind and some mist/fog around the airfield!
Good experience anyway and thanks for this ride JP. I will try to perfect this approach later on.
Look this nice and cool approach in Queensland (NZQN - New Zealand) not as technical as MHTG but the RNP GNSS or RNP-AR is magik for this kind of approach. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mxmFCw-Dig

It is a RNAV GNSS G via SUNGU runway 05 I believe.

Regards,

simbio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simbio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 3:11am
Originally posted by Papangue Papangue wrote:

Third and forth successfull attempts. Inspired by viewing JP video, I used a constant and high bank angle of almost 30 degrees to join the center line following the papi path after passing TG011 and it matched. It is hard to disregard and not go around when the EGPWS is yelling at you TERRAIN TERRAIN - PULL UP. I could have used the Terrain inhibit but it is definitly not a good idea in regard with airmanship, I think ;). 
I can imagine the fear of some pilots with a slight drifting eastward wind and some mist/fog around the airfield!
Good experience anyway and thanks for this ride JP. I will try to perfect this approach later on.
Look this nice and cool approach in Queensland (NZQN - New Zealand) not as technical as MHTG but the RNP GNSS or RNP-AR is magik for this kind of approach. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mxmFCw-Dig

It is a RNAV GNSS G via SUNGU runway 05 I believe.

Regards,

I invite you to download this for RNP on NZQN if you have the PMDG.
http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=166014

This are for PAKT / PAPG / PASI / PAWG
http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=169307

Now we need Bhutan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-P Garraio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 3:20am
Great. Maybe we should open a new thread if all info, docs and start a training there.

I will try it and post a video.

J-P
FSiPanel for FSX
www.fsipanel.com
Jean-Pierre Garraio

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-P Garraio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2014 at 1:49pm
NZQN video is ready.
Will appear in a couple of minutes.

Very nice approach, RNAV Y 23.

New thread will be online tonight.

Cheers,

J-P
FSiPanel for FSX
www.fsipanel.com
Jean-Pierre Garraio
simbio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simbio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2014 at 4:38pm
Check
Nice to learn on how to change scenario with the slew, and of course your knowledge in practice as a pilot.
Those video really help.
One question all RNP are only with the use of automatic instrument, no pilot can fly them manually even if He has visual contact.
Thank's for share

Mik75 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mik75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 9:35am
Hi there!
I really enjoy your excellent piece of software to the fullest! ;-)
I´ve been waiting ages for something like FSIPanel, but the wait was worth it. It looks nice (just like the real instructor panel on a FF sim), it´s easy to setup and use, and your videos just made me try the MHTG RNAV approach as well. ;-)
I still have to do a soft landing on the center line, but with FSIPanel, praticing it, is as wasy as it gets!
Here some impressions of my session:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-P Garraio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 3:06pm
Hi,

Thanks for your kind comments, I'm happy to hear you enjoy the software.
May I ask you how did you hear about the software?

looking at your screenshots on the RNAV approach, it looks like you did a good job!
Stable speed and path on base and final.

Cheers,

J-P
FSiPanel for FSX
www.fsipanel.com
Jean-Pierre Garraio
Mik75 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mik75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 6:31am
Originally posted by J-P Garraio J-P Garraio wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your kind comments, I'm happy to hear you enjoy the software.
May I ask you how did you hear about the software?

looking at your screenshots on the RNAV approach, it looks like you did a good job!
Stable speed and path on base and final.

Cheers,

J-P

I still need a lot of training to get a well centered and smooth landing! ;-)
I randomly found your excellent Videos on Youtube, so I watched a few of them, to directly buy the software afterwards! ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-P Garraio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 3:37am

Smile

What is a good landing:
- Centerline
- Touchdown zone.
- ROD less than 300ft / min
- Stabilized approach for the last 1000ft.

Smooth landing is a bonus refered as a commercial landing.

Cheers,

J-P

FSiPanel for FSX
www.fsipanel.com
Jean-Pierre Garraio
Mik75 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mik75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2015 at 6:53am
You´re right! ;-)
Although I  had to practice as much as it needed to get all the data fields of the landing report green! ;-)
What a great fun!
dougal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2015 at 8:00am
The MHTG Toncontin approach with default scenery is REALLY easy compared to when using the Latin-VFR addon.  It maybe a little dated now, but its a million times better (and harder) with the addon, which installs into P3Dv3 without issues.

If you really want a challenge, you've simply got to have it!
Phil 'Dougal' Symonds - Windows10 x64 - P3Dv4 - M/B: Asus Z170-Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700 @ 4.7ghz - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200 - Vid: Asus GTX970
JaguarXJ6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaguarXJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 6:09pm
Well, as a new FS iPanel customer, I decided to have a go at this using the PMDG 747-400 at MLW.

At attempt number 85 (in CAVOK!) I finally got the four greens: "Very Good", "Good", "Nice Landing" and "Perfect". Clap It looked nice from the outside too.

I should really try and repeat it with some more challenging weather, but I've had enough of Toncontin for now and want to explore some other places in the FSX world courtesy of FS iPanel. Thumbs Up

Happy approaches to all.
Best wishes,

Michael
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic