SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black screen of death in fsx,need help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black screen of death in fsx,need help
    Posted: July-25-2009 at 2:07pm
Hi i just got a new system for fsx i7 920 @4.20 ghz,6gb ram,gtx 280 and having some vary bad luck with fsx.Every time i load up a flight and fly around for about 2 mins the screen goes black and all i can hear is the sound and the only way to get out of it is shut down my computer.I have installed loads of different drivers and still the same problem,i even installed windows 7 on a clean install and still the same problem.Every game i played on this computer works fine and i also did 3dmark 06 about 5 times with no problems and my overclock is 24 hours prime95 stable.Running out of ideas now and really frustrated after paying all this money to play fsx and i cant even play it.Any help will be much appreciated
vic_baron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2009 at 2:17pm

W7 and FSX has problems for many people - you might be one of them.

Also, just because your clock is 24 hours stable in benchmarks does NOT mean it's stable in FSX. Prime95 is outdated technology - use OCCT.

Remove the clock and see if you have the same problem and go from there. And you are using a beta OS, what do you expect?

Good luck

980x 4.43G P6X58D 1612 6-8-6 GTX680 DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, 3Ware 9650SE,Armor+ W764 Pro

3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 2-GTX780 SLI 1000W PSU 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W764 Home
dogzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2009 at 2:27pm
I went back to vista 64 and still the same problem and i have put back my overclock to the default settings but with no luck,installed uninstalled fsx loads of times,cleaned out my drivers with driver sweeper.Ran OCCT for 4 hours with no problems.Playing crysis everyday now and not a problem so my system is running fine
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2009 at 7:13pm

This happens with any aircraft?

This happens with no addons installed?

This happens and you are following the list for the correct way yo install FSX and patches?

182.50 drivers?

Nhancer set up correctly?

If so I cant help.. If all test checkout I would have to look at the possibility of a defective FSX disk

vic_baron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2009 at 9:36pm

I'd also check the event viewer to see if anything shows up there. Look for any program that might run in the background and do something around the time of the lockup.

Happens in both full screen and windowed mode?

Happens in all locations?

980x 4.43G P6X58D 1612 6-8-6 GTX680 DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, 3Ware 9650SE,Armor+ W764 Pro

3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 2-GTX780 SLI 1000W PSU 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W764 Home
Phase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2009 at 11:29pm

DZilla

I had a similar problem with certain of the 18x.xxx series drivers and found by unticking AA in the sim the issue ceased.
On other forums I have seen posts that the BS problem may be the way Vista/w7 handles sound?? May be worth a try to see if the problem exists with the sound turned off.  The solution was to lower the sound quality settings to the lowest available: http://forums1.avsim.net/lofiversion/index.php/t253282.html
Other contenders (without much hard evidence) included:
SP2 going back to SP1 "fixed" it????
Perversely fixed on some systems when SP2 installed.
DX10 preview on some systems
Multiple driver entries in the fsx.cfg file
Light Bloom especially if using FS9 planes converted to FSX
Using the mouse to access the menus in FSX
Windowed vs full screen and vice versa.
"Pause on task switch" selected in the SIM.
DirectX install has become corrupt.
Nvidia driver version - for most people 182.50 seems to be the favored one. ( I use the 190.xx series with no issues)

I hasten to add these are just observations that I have seen reported by various posters as there does not seem to be a universal solution to the problem.
Regards
PeterHSmile

Nil illegitimum carborundum est

FSX SP2; i7 2600K, OC 5THz liq N2 cooling 16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, GTX670, WINDOWS 7 64; 256GB OCZ Vertex SSD; Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz Monitor
dogzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 11:16am
Thanks for all the help guys but after more testing i found out that it was my overclock after all.When i set my overclock to the default settings it also set the memory voltage to under what it was supposed to be so i set it to the rated voltage with the default overclock and everything is fine now
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 11:55am

As Vic pointed out FSX will bring issues to the surface no other program will.. When you said "i have put back my overclock to the default settings but with no luck," I had to assume that was not the issue

That clock on i7 can be TRICKY

i7 wont show you errors in other applications but in FSX it sure will

If CPU VOLTAGE is set correctly and QPI/DRAM as well, you probably need a bit of IOH and ICH voltage to stabilize, or, you may be running the wrong CPU multipler against the BCLOCK pushing the memory a touch over the edge on the QPI buss

dogzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 12:25pm
Im not great when it comes to overclocking.I bought this system pre overclocked to 4.20ghz and thinking about bringing it back or i might try it myself.Any good sites where i can get detailed instructions on overclocking an i7?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 12:33pm

I can give you what should be stable clock settings but I need to know the following

1. What PSU is in this system.. watt rating and brand

2. What memory is in this system, brand and memory Speed AND timing spec.. a model number would be nice

3. What Motherboard is in this system. Revision and model. NOTE: I really hope its a Asus P6T becuase EVGA is not my bag. I dont use their boards for a reason.

4. What CPU heatsink is in use

And you may need to wait for an answer.. becuase I am not really in a position to stop and run BIOS numbers for people right now

dogzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 1:09pm
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 1:28pm

First

The HSF is NOT high quality.. I dont think you are going to get much further than 3.9GHz stable on a 920 with that CPU heatsink.. possibly 4Ghz if it is a D0 proc and the ambient temp in the room is cool but 4.2?  I dont think so

Second, the memory you are using is slow (CAS 8) with respect to timing and may also be a factor in stability. It will definitely IMPACT performance with i7. Minimum should be CAS 7 with CAS 6 as the sweetspot with i7

This is even MORE important with i7 and clocking

Third..

The motherboard is a Gigabyte, which means I must convert settings by getting into the motherboad manual for that board and posting the settings based on how the Gigabyte BIOS works.. something I dont have time to do right now and may take me a few days to get to it

dogzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 2:03pm
Thanks,you have been so helpful doing all this for me,talk to ya in a few days
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 2:35pm

OK I just browsed the BIOS on that board.. I can post settings but I dont have time to give you their locations in the BIOS. It will be up to you to locate and set them correctly.

If I didn’t post it.. then AUTO or the DEFAULT setting is probably correct

MB Intelligent Tweaker: MANUAL
CPU Ratio Setting: 20x or AUTO
Advanced CPU Features
CPU Ratio Setting: 20x or AUTo
C1E Suppport: DISABLED
Hardware Prefetcher: ENABLED
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch: ENABLED
Intel® Virtualization Tech: DISABLED
CPU TM Function: DISABLED
Execute Disable Bit: DISABLED
Intel (R) HT Techology: DISABLED
Active Processor Cores: ALL
A20M: DISABLE
Intel (R) SpeedStep (TM) Tech: DISABLED
Intel (R) Turbo Mode Tech: DISABLED
Intel (R) C-STATE Tech: DISABLED

BLCK Frequency: 190: NOTE 190x20 = 3800 this is where we start
PCIE Frequency: 100

NOTE: the next two settings are based on a 190 BCLOCK and a memory MULTIPLER of 8 and ASSUMING the BIOS is using a fractional BCLOCK value you cant see

Typically 190 BCLOCK 2 a 8x MEMORY MULTIPLER will equal a DRAM FREQUENCY of 1520 however if the BASE BCLOCK on the motherboard math is not 133 but 133.6 then that changes the result.. the settings below reflect an estimated offset

Your actual BIOS settings for DRAM FREQUENCY @ BLOCK 190 may be different by 10MHz

DRAM Frequency: 1532 (depending on BIOS math): NOTE: this is driven by BCLOCK and MEMORY Multplier. You want your DRAM FREQUENCY as CLOSE to 1600 as possible without going OVER 1600. This can be anywhere from 1400 to 1600

UCLK Frequency: 3065 (depending on BIOS math) NOTE: UCLK is ALWAYS 2xDRAM FREQUENCY so what ever you set for DRAM FREQUENCY this valuve MUST BE 2x that

QPI Link Data Rate: AUTO

DRAM TIMING
DRAM CAS# LATENCY = 8
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) - 8
RAS# Precharge (tRP) - 8
Cycle Time (tRAS) - 24
COMMAND RATE (CMD): 1N

NOTE: Gigabyte boards have a feature called PERFORMANCE ENHANCE. This feature can cause instability. If you are unstable at TURBO, set this to STANDARD

CPU Voltage: FIND LOWEST STABLE VALUE typically somewhere between  1.28-1.42v. START AT 1.28v but this will most likely need to come up to 1.32v min on a 3.8GHz or greater clock speed

CPU PLL Voltage: 1.80 NOTE: 1.88 is sometimes needed for higher clocks. DO not EXCEED 1.90v. If unstable, try 1.88v
QPI/Vtt Voltage: 1.35 NOTE: Some system may be more stable at 1.40. DO NOT EXCEED 1.42v and START at 1.35v which is normal for clocking i7

IOH Voltage: 1.15 TO 1.20v Start at 1.15v
ICH Voltage: 1.20v
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.65 to 1.70 MAX - Typically 1.65 -1.68 DO NOT EXCEED 1.70v. Always start at 1.65v

LOAD LINE CALIBRATION: DISABLED

CPU SPREAD SPECTRUM: DISABLED
PCIe SPREAD SPECTRUM: DISABLED

Once you set all that up then its time for stability and temp tests. You need OCCT v3.01 and REALTEMP v3.0 to do that right

http://www.ocbase.com/download.php?fileext=exe

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1325i/RealTemp_3.00.zip

and use CPUz to verify CPU speed, QPI LINK RATE, MEMORY FREQUENCY, MB FREQUENCY and TIMING
http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz_152_setup.exe

The MAX temp for the 920 is 80c. The proc WONT burn up above 80c but it can NOT go over 100 or damage will occur. 80c is the MAX for stable operation in a full LOAD test of all cores at once.

RUN the OCCT 1hr automatic CPU Test. IF it fails then it failed because of VOLTAGE, FREQUENCY or TEMP one of the three. If the TEMP remained BELOW 80c then the failure was a BIOS setting. Usually voltage but an improper frequency setting can cause it too. Verify.

If Frequency is correct then RAISE the CPU VOLTAGE from 1.28v to 1.32v and retest. If stable during the entire test, then check FSX. If not, raise CPU VOLTAGE to 1.35v. That SHOULD be the MAX needed for 3.8GHz on i7. Remember the LOWER the CPU voltage that rus stable the cooler the proc runs and the better.

If you are stable and wish to try for higher clock,

CPU RATIO: 20x (or AUTO)
BCLOCK: 200
DRAM FREQUENCY:1600
UCLK FREQUENCY: 3200
CPU VOLTAGE: 1.35v
WIll net 4GHZ @ DDR3 1600 operation

NOTE: SOME 920s are known to be unstable at the defualt CPU Multiplier of 20x. In some cases, RAISING or LOWERING the multipler to 19x and RAISING BCLOCK is the key

CPU RATIO 19x 200 BCLOCK = 3800MHz
CPU RATIO 21x 190 BCLOCK = 3990MHz
etc, etc

This CHANGES DRAM and UCLCK FREQUENCY which YOU must set manually after such changes. As stated above you DRAM wants to be as close to 1600 as possible without going over and the UCLK will ALWAYS be set to 2xDRAM

D0 stepping 920 processors are known to run lower CPU voltage at higher frequency. Typically CPU Voltage will be between 1.32 and 1.40v. DO NOT EXCEED 1.42v and 80c Temps for ANY REASON
And dont forget, CPU PLL VOLTAGE may need to come up to 1.88v

NOTE; IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING TAKE THIS SYSTEM TO SOMEONE WHO DOES. THE PERSON WHO CLOCKED THIS SYSTEM INITIALLY DID NOT KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING OR YOUR STABILITY PROBLEM WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED.

dogzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 4:22pm

Ok i was able to hit 4ghz @ddr3 1600 stable with 1.35 cpu voltage,ran OCCT for an hour and my max temps were 86 a bit high but they will never go that high when playing fsx,should i try to go higher or will 4.2ghz make much difference in fsx

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 4:37pm

NO

What did I say?

80c MAX

You are in fact pushing things further than what I posted as SAFE

And I fail to understand how OCCT allowed greater than 80c to run. By default it is set to SHUT DOWN the test if you hit 80c. If you disabled that, you are in fact exceeding safe engineering settings

Your solution is a better heatsink or DROP the CPU speed to 3.8GHz and with it the CPU voltage. You can use the memory multiplier and the CPU RATIO in conjuction with BCLOCK to try and get the memory speed as close to 1600 as possible without going over, stable

I KNEW that Coolmaster v8 would top out at around 3.8-3.9GHz . That HSF is NOT a 4GHZ+ HSF unit

Thats why you crapped out in FSX..   4.2GHz was well OVER safe, stable operation temp on a Coolmaster v8

One other thing.. OCCT says 8 Threads.. did you shut down HT (Intel HyperTransport) in the BIOS as posted? If so there must be some kind of glitch beteen the BIOS and OCCT. If not, then shut it DOWN as that MAY allow you to run 4GHz @ 80c

HT is uselesss to FSX and runs the proc hotter

I can deal with 1c higher than 80, no more

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 4:54pm

Just so you understand

The thermal specification shown is the maximum case temperature at the maximum Thermal Design Power (TDP) value for that processor. It is measured at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader.

Intel Spec for the 920 is 67.9°C but that is not the TjMAX its the TCase with a formula applied 

80c is what translates to that value

1c more and you are exceeding Intels SAFE Thermal Specification for stable operation

So when I say 80c, that means 80c

80c is the absolute top end.. you run it higher, you assume the responsibility for all the hair pulling issues that come with it

everything from crashes, shorter proc life and performance issues in FSX under a load

dogzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 5:50pm
Ok then going to back it down to 3.8 and drop the cpu voltage and see how we go from there
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 6:29pm

as long as you are 80c or less and within the voltage limits I posted above... and of course stable, thats the ticket

To go higher you need a better HSF

Think of FSX perf from a stable clock in terms of 300Mhz blocks. Its always going to run better with a higher CPU speed but the difference between 3.8 and 4GHz is not going to be anywhere near as impressive as the difference between 3.8 and 4.1or 4.2

I understand the desire to want to get the most out of the hardware and that is always the goal.. but in order to do that we must also very carefully respect the limts imposed and in the process understand that if we want to do better we must buy the components that allow the increase and function within safe specification limits.

When we exceed those limits we subject ourself to more problems, perf issues and possible cost due to hardware damage than the cost of the right cooling solution to begin with.

If you want higher, its either going to be a better air cooled HSF or liquid CPU cooling one of the two.. and getting CAS 6 memory in that system with that clock will peak your performance to the max..

You DO get what you pay for, .. IF you know how to use it  Smile

and one other thing too.. when people ask me what to buy in a CPU one of the reasons I dont post a 920 proc is because of exactly what you are running into. Regardless of what you read at the hardware sites the better 940, or better yet 950, andespecially the 975 are running 4GHz+ much cooler than 920s and are no where NEAR as limited in that respect.

The 975s run 4.4GHz on 1.32-1.35v no sweat

That, and the ability to run the memory flat out at its full rated speed without tinkering with BCLOCK and the memory multiplier, is what you pay for Wink

frostynz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frostynz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 7:12pm

"I KNEW that Coolmaster v8 would top out at around 3.8-3.9GHz . That HSF is NOT a 4GHZ+ HSF unit"

Hi Guys,

I am actually running one of these on my i-7 920 o/c to 4GHz as per your guide Nick and it it stable and only reaching a high of 68oC during the 1 hour test so maybe I am just lucky with my MB & CPU. Perhaps a large case and additional fans assist.

Dave

dogzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 7:13pm

All looking good at 3.8 max temps are 79 after 1 hour of OCCT and fsx is running fine now,thanks for all the help.Now at last i can install all my addons and enjoy fsx for once,my computer almost went out the window

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by frostynz frostynz wrote:

"I KNEW that Coolmaster v8 would top out at around 3.8-3.9GHz . That HSF is NOT a 4GHZ+ HSF unit"

Hi Guys,

I am actually running one of these on my i-7 920 o/c to 4GHz as per your guide Nick and it it stable and only reaching a high of 68oC during the 1 hour test so maybe I am just lucky with my MB & CPU. Perhaps a large case and additional fans assist.

Dave

Its the luck of the draw on the 920s Dave

Some of those 920 D0's are doing just what you say, most are not

Intel pulls those 920s from the 975 runs through a process known as "speed-binning' the ones that pass all tests with a specified amount of overhead become 975's which are then further certified to be golden.. the ones that pass just barely become 950s and the ones that fail but are verified at lower spec become 920s

Now.. from that if they see a lack of stock in the 920s they may take some of the 950 or even the 975 slugs and convert them to 920s. In that respect anyone who gets one of those golden 920 D0s can probably run 4GHz stable on very low temps

Understand?

I do very much agree that tower airflow optimizing and ambient temps are very important as well as correct application and installation of the HSF unit, but the fact of the matter is the majority of 920s are not going to run 4GHz on that coolmaster v8 and you can take that to the bank. Consider yourself very lucky Dave

and by the way.. if what you are posting is correct you should have absolutely no issue running well above 4GHz stable. Its just a matter of trimming it up

frostynz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frostynz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 7:52pm

The more I read the various threads on these forums mate, the more I realise how lucky I have been with my total setup.

If you could explain to me how to 'display' the OCCT charts on this thread, I would love to show people how successful your guide can be!

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 8:34pm

Inthe OPTIONS of OCCT 3.0.1 you will see an option to GENERATE GRAPHS

Each time you run tests OCCT generates graph data and stores it in My Documents\OCCT\ TEST DATE FOLDER

After the test is complete in OCCT, you may access those charts. Each chart serves a different function in displaying results be it temp, voltage, compares, etc

CPU LINPACK is VERY aggressive.. be careful with that test if you run it. Many times user who pass the CPU OCCT test will FAIL with temps and possibly stability in LINPACK

NEVER use any of the tests in OCCT other than the CPU OCCT or CPU LINPACK tests.. the GPU and PSU tests are still beta and may cause problems with weak hardware

frostynz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frostynz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 8:22am
frostynz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frostynz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 8:25am

...... it was supposed to be titled "My lucky little i-7 920 DO Chip"  but as usual I cocked it up   Smile

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 11:39am

You are using OCCT v3.0 instead of 3.1. You should uninstall version 3.0 and install version 3.1 since it was updated for Bloomfield and rerun that test

http://www.ocbase.com/download.php?fileext=exe

As I recall there was an update specific to i7 with v3.1 which may not be loading the cores down correctly.. Cant remember for sure and would need to check up on it. I know v3.0 was the first version for i7 but as I recall there were some issues that were corrected in v3.1

frostynz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frostynz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 5:39pm

you can be a right little party stopper sometimes ............

Wink

dogzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 5:42pm

Was on to the support guy early today to tell him im not happy with the temps and the overclock i got and this is what he had to say

90C is normal for this bundle and normal for this type of processor, at stock they run 75C+. The cooler provided is the best air-cooler on the market, if you want lower temperatures you have to use a decent watercooling kit. These bundles are tested for hours using prime95 prior to being shipped but we cannot account for all conditions. Some cases have lower airflow, some power supplies have lower voltages so sometimes they are not totally stable when the customer installs them.

The chances are that you only need to tweak a couple of voltages to make it stable at 4.0GHz as I assure you that it was stable when it left, however if you have a problem with the temperatures then I am afraid that there is nothing we can do for you there as you won’t get any better without some radical cooling.

These systems typically ship with the following settings:

The BCLK should be set to 200

Turbo mode off

Set the performance enhance to standard

Enable loadline calibration

Disable CPU and PCI Spread spectrum

Set CPU Voltage to 1.375

Set QPI Voltage to 1.34 (or as close as possible)

Set DRAM voltage to 1.64

If you can check this against your settings it there may be a variation to explain your problems. However in my opinion it is more likely that VDroop is the problem and you will find the CPU running at 1.31-1.32V rather than the 1.35V that I would prefer 

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 6:12pm

90c huh

75c plus at stock?  

Well, I am not going to get in the middle of that one

I posted the Intel Specification where the processor begins to shut itself down due to excessive heat and that temp is 80c (tCase 67.9c) so I guess those stock chips are already running over Intel spec?

I dont think so

Every professional i7 clocker on the net respects that limit

I also stated the max is 100c and after that.. PooF.

Prime95 is no longer used to stress test CPU after i7. OCCT or Intel LINPACK is the test software used

Air cooling

Thermalright IFX 14 Intel BP <---  top dog

Prolimatech Megahalems

Thermalright 120 Extreme 1366

Scythe Mugen 2

and there are 2 or 3 others as well

all better than a Coolmaster v8 and will run 4Ghz @ spec if they are installed correctly, the tower has proper airflow and its location allows it to breathe and the ambient room temp is not excessively high

As mentioend above do make sure the tower has good airflow and if the ambient temp is warm due to summer and no air conditioning in the room then there can also be limits

If you wish to run your proc at 86c in those load tests its up to you. I have posted the engineering data

D0 stepping i7 920

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLBEJ

C0 stepping i7 920

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLBCH

Be aware, if you have a C0 stepping i7 920 it will typically run hotter than a i7 920 D0 stepping chip

That is seen using CPUz, CPU tab on the STEPPING readout

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by frostynz frostynz wrote:

you can be a right little party stopper sometimes ............

Wink

Naaaa..  I just want to make sure you are indeed running safe. With the overhead you are showing even if the load test in 3.0 is not putting the screws to it correctly, you should be close none the less..

If the same result comes up then you definitely have a golden 920 from the 975 bins..

dogzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 6:29pm

First off i dont agree with anything this guy said and if i dident talk to you i would be still at stock speeds,i just wanted to show you what i was dealing with.Even at 3.8ghz with hes bios settings fsx was still crashing.

Just 1 other thing,going to i7 i though i was going to get a smoother sim but i still get alot of sutters and i fps r locked at 30 and stayed there most of the time.I haved followed your settings to every detail in how to tune fsx trend and have used the bufferpools tweak but that made it sutter even more.Anything else i could try to make it smother

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 7:07pm

Smooth is something that can be traced back to several possibilites

1 HDD in use and proper maintenance of it

2. OS in use and if that OS has background activity causing problems such as UAC, SEARCH (AKA: Indexing), Windows Defender are just some of the times that can cause problems

3. Installed programs that are booting with Windows.. especially AV and any security scanner products

4. System running too hot - incorectly install HSF unit or settings out of spec

5. Poor memory speed/timing

6. Defective video card or other device which may also include a bad driver

7. FSX not tuned correctly or improper FSX.cfg tweaks

A combination of one or more of the above

I have seen in a few rare cases where the tweak AffinityMask can smooth out issues when everything else in the list above is verified as good

All I can tell you is the 182.50 driver from Nvidia appears to be the sweet driver for the 8800GTX and the 285 cards right now I would assume that driver would probably be best for the 280 as well.

Check you startup  - START - RUN - type: msconfig - click OK, click the START tab.. what is starting up with Windows?

The items I mentioned above for Vista ( I assume you run Vista64) can be shut down by following this list http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=30437&PID=174126#174126

If FSX is installed to PROGRAM FILES or PROGRAM FILES (x86) in Vista you can expect problems even with UAC shut down .. FSX should live outside the Program Files folder, on another drive would be best or if not available in its own folder on the root of C

I would say if you followed my guide and looked at the images posted for settings, for you.. on the SCENERY tab, set Autogen to DENSE to start, and Scenery Complexity to Very Dense .. Traffic tab.. set AL and GA to 30% and make sure lables are disabled..  Cars, no more than 5-7%

all the other settings on those screens should be identical.

Realsim Settings.. dropdown to HARD then set PFactor to 50% slider.. the rest of the items in that area are up to you

Depending on the clock and where you are flying autogen level can come up a notch to Very Dense and Scenery Complexity to 100%

FSX.cfg file

Texture Bandwidth to 80

DisablePreload=1

WideViewAspect=True   for wide screen monitors, false for standard

thats really about it in the config

If bufferpools causes stutters, remove it. Typically on a 1GB card between 80 and 200MB is valid but that is problematical with testing, sometimes its better to not set any BP level

The problem is one or a combination of items I listed above

dogzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 7:25pm
Ok thanks will go over this tomorrow and see if i can improve,thanks again
frostynz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frostynz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 6:00am
frostynz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frostynz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 6:07am

Good Morning Mr N

I thought the results using the newer OCCT programme were interesting, it seemed to run at a lower temp. If you think its ok, how would I go about trying to go for say 4.2Ghz? (Read into this that I only managed 4.0Ghz by following your tutorial to the letter). Would I be right in picking that my Corsair 1600 DDR3 8-8-8-24 RAM will be the limiting factor?

Kind Regards Dave

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 11:33am

Yes.. but notice the CPU USAGE between the 2 tests.. you are using the corrected version of the software which also corrected Bloomfiled temp code

Therefore congrats are in order.. assuming you dont live in an area where the ambient temp in the room is 68 degrees or less  LOL   you have a golden 920

Absolutely you have the option to go higher.. as for how to do it the goal is simple

Lowest CPU VOLTAGE on the HIGHEST CPU SPEED stable and remain around or below DDR3 1600

That can be accomplished through several means.. you can leave CPU RATION at 20x and raise BCLOCK, you can DROP the CPU RATIO to 19x and push BLCLOCK up or RAISE CPU RATIO to 21x and do the same.. there are reports that the default RATIO of 20x can be unstable in a manual clock however that is not conclusive so your goal is to find the highest CPU speed possible and remain at or below 80c in the 1hr test and DO BE AWARE even if that test passes, FSX can bring instability up due to placing the PCIe buss in the mix on the clock so although you may be stable in OCCT, in FSX you may need to trim a voltage to stabilize.

CPU Voltage: FIND LOWEST STABLE VALUE typically somewhere between  1.28-1.42v. START AT 1.28v but this will most likely need to come up to 1.32v min on a 3.8GHz or greater clock speed

CPU PLL Voltage: 1.80 NOTE: 1.88 is sometimes needed for higher clocks. DO not EXCEED 1.90v. If unstable, try 1.88v

QPI/Vtt Voltage: 1.35 NOTE: Some system may be more stable at 1.40. DO NOT EXCEED 1.42v and START at 1.35v which is normal for clocking i7 and normall does not need to be increased past that however 1.37 may be a sweet spot

IOH Voltage: 1.15 TO 1.20v Start at 1.15v
ICH Voltage: 1.20v
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.65 to 1.70 MAX - Typically 1.65 -1.68 DO NOT EXCEED 1.70v. Always start at 1.65v

LOAD LINE CALIBRATION: DISABLED

As for the memory timing.. DDR3 1600 6-6-6 is going to provide a much lower latency to the CPU cache in communcation with the memory than 8-8-8. IF you are looking for the highest perf possible with current memory product than DDR3 1600 6-6-6 is the way to go.

If you are trying to correct a problem and are assuming the memory is the issue then that is problematical. FSX will respond much better to lower latency however problems in FSX may not be related to memory timing and instead one of the issues I listed above

dogzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 3:46pm
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 4:04pm

You may be dealing with defective parts with this system

I just got finished assisting someone from Atlanta with a similar problem.. he had 2 problems.. 1 the PSU was defective and undervolting the CPU, .. 2 his video card was defective. After getting the new PSU the problem changed.. he was no longer locking up the computer but the graphics in FSX would become corrupted under heavy scenery load and lock FSX

We surmised the PSU may have damaged the video card, none the less the problem was resolved and he is one happy camper

As for your parts..    Make SURE you have a tower big enough to handle the heatsink which is an excellent choice.

You WILL need at minimum ONE fan for that unit..

You need a fan designed for the motherboard CPU 4pin plug, has an excellent CFM rating. Unfortunately the only one they have listed are these

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-010-SY

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-056-AK

Which are good fans but the CFM and RPM rating is too low.. you need to find a 120mm 1900-2500RPM 4pin PWM fan with a CFM rating of 78-100CFM and a sound level of no more than 39dB

I would typically suggest this one for that purpose:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5879/fan-294/Cooljag_Everflow_120mm_x_25mm_9-Blade_PWM_Fan_R121225BU.html

If you dont mind 100% fan all the time (3 pin fans can not be speed controlled by the motherboard unless you have a manual fan controller in place) you can use this one:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-022-SY

which will do the job very well and many overclockers use 2 of those on the heatsink you selected (one push the other pull) and a fan controller to the CPU fan plug on the motherboard.

One fan will still work however..

Make SURE the airflow from the CPU HSF passes through the HSF and out the back of the tower.. the unit should be installed so flow travels toward the rear fan for quick heat removal from the tower.

The memory.. those specs are great and the selection is good.. I have no expereince with GSkill however their reputation is excellent from what I understand.

Power supply: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-001-PP

that would be minimum and should do the job just fine

If you wanted to step it up their 910 would be the next choice however unless you are running dual video cards for other games (FSX wont make use of 2 cards) then I see no need for that

video card

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-091-EA

just as a reference, here is how my tower is set up for airflow

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163091

You will need a tower with good depth to handle the heatsink. Mine is 8.2 inches wide

dogzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 4:31pm

I all ready had the psu and graphics card installed on my old set up e8600 4ghz 4gb ram and everything was working fine so i dont think thats the problem and at stock speeds with the i7 everything is fine so i thing i have a good reason to bring it back,here is what i got off them http://cgi.ebay.ie/i7-4-0GHz-OVERCLOCKED-CPU-MOTHERBOARD-BUNDLE-6GB_W0QQitemZ370230492792QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motherboards_CPUs?hash=item563374fe78&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1300%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50 as you can see i didn't get the cooler in the page which kind of made me a little mad aswell.This is the case i have http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-070-AN&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=

When i do get my refund back and get my new parts would you be able to give me a hand in the overclocking?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic