SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Heli Traffic 2009 and FSDiscover Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ATC + Heli Traffic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ATC + Heli Traffic
    Posted: December-23-2014 at 9:39pm
Bought Heli Traffic 2009 two days ago.That's what I needed.My questions:
1. How does ATC handle take off and landing by helicopter ?
2. How does ATC recognize helipads ? Using "AI made easy" I have installed 3 AI helios, which slows down other traffic, as they are directed to the runway for take off.How should I adress the helipad in my flightplan, instead the airport ID ?
3.Using Heli , I created an helipad, but , I do not see any texture of said helipad. Should I afcad this helipad.
Any detailed infos are welcome. And thank you for producing Heli_Traffic.
Bob Bance
Bob.*
freddy_ View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 7:47pm
Someone may correct me here, but I believe due to the way the program works, it is not possible for the ATC to see or recognise the helicopters. Therefore, ATC has no interaction with the HeliTraffic helicopters.

And, yes, creating the helipads using the program only configures a landing spot in the sim. If you want to "see" a helipad, then you will need to use an AFCAD program such as ADE to do that.
bance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 1:47pm
Thanks Freddy for replying.

Prior to installing Heli-Traffic, I had helios (3) in my regular AI traffic. ATC does recognize and handle Helios.But When they are in line for take off, they must taxi to the departing runway, while all other traffics are held up at the taxiway. I figure that helios must depart and land from/on helipads with instructions from ATC. I am expecting from Heli-Traffic such operations. The infos from Helli-T are not clear as how to designate the helipads in relation to the airport ID,when writing a flight plan ( for exemple). At this moment, I need to relocate my AI helios parking to my helipads (2). It will be a pleasure to see them buzzing on and off, without slowing down other aircrafts.

For the "phantom" helipad created with Heli-T, I will Afcad it to a visible texture.

I hope to get other replies regarding my original post.

Bob.*

Bob.*
freddy_ View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 5:38pm
Helicopters in FSX that have AI flight plans set for them to fly from one airport to another are treated like normal aircraft. The reason for this behavior is that FSX does not support helicopter flight dynamics (vertical takeoffs and landings). Because of this, ATC interacts with AI helicopters as if they are airplanes and will expect them to ask for a runway to takeoff from, give them clearance, etc, followed by the helicopter subsequently taxiing to that runway before taking off. All of this is very unrealistic indeed. So, yes, what you have previously seen and heard from ATC with your AI helicopters is correct, just that they behave like airplanes.

However, helicopter traffic simulated by HeliTraffic is simulated by the product internally, using its own engine, separate from FSX. Therefore, FSX knows next to nothing about it. This means the helicopter traffic that's handled by HeliTraffic will not be displayed in any FSX aircraft screens and will not interact with FSX ATC in any way. It's a small price to pay for the awesome realism that HeliTraffic adds to the sim. If you have an AI editing program, and you have the time, then you might decide to remove the normal FSX AI helicopters from the AI flight plans ... doing that would mean you will not see taxiing helicopters in your sim and will instead enjoy only the added realism that HeliTraffic brings. The loss from doing that is that helicopters will no longer interact with FSX ATC.

A hint regarding using an AFCAD program to make the helipads ... if you set a helipad and then add a "helipad start" to that helipad, FSX and ALSO HeliTraffic will recognise that as a normal helipad. This means that helicopters under the control of the HeliTraffic product will automatically see this helipad and will land and takeoff from it. In other words, because you have just created a normal FSX helipad at this location, there would be NO REASON TO CREATE A PHANTOM HELIPAD landing spot here. So, if you just want to use HeliTraffic to create a PHANTOM helicopter landing spot, and then use an AFCAD program merely to show a visible helipad texture, you can certainly do so ... just don't add a "helipad start" for this spot. But, if you want to create an normal helipad that both FSX and HeliTraffic will recognise and use, then you would use your AFCAD program to set the helipad and you would also add a "helipad start" to it ... in this case there would be no need to use HeliTraffic to create a PHANTOM landing spot at this location.
bance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2014 at 2:07am
While I also have FSX, I prefer FS2004, where I have added more improvments.(texture wise etc) The helicopters behavior is the same in both FS9 and FSX. I will study Heli-T further to take full advantage for helios flights. I need to understand how flight planned helio traffic is handled, regarding helipads. I will afcad the actual phantom helipad.

Regards
Bob.*
Bob.*
jr747 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jr747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 11:14am
Originally posted by freddy_ freddy_ wrote:

-if you set a helipad and then add a "helipad start" to that helipad, FSX and ALSO HeliTraffic will recognise that as a normal helipad. This means that helicopters under the control of the HeliTraffic product will automatically see this helipad and will land and takeoff from it. In other words, because you have just created a normal FSX helipad at this location, there would be NO REASON TO CREATE A PHANTOM HELIPAD landing spot here. So, if you just want to use HeliTraffic to create a PHANTOM helicopter landing spot, and then use an AFCAD program merely to show a visible helipad texture, you can certainly do so ... just don't add a "helipad start" for this spot. But, if you want to create an normal helipad that both FSX and HeliTraffic will recognise and use, then you would use your AFCAD program to set the helipad and you would also add a "helipad start" to it ... in this case there would be no need to use HeliTraffic to create a PHANTOM landing spot at this location.

There is no FSX heli traffic w/out Heli Traffic installed. Even if u remove the start spot, they still land there, you have go to the spot, use Heli Traffic to set the spot to 0/0/0 landings, min time and max time.
 I had this problem at Patrick AFB where I have scheduled AF S-70's come an go on Heli Traffic created spots with FSX Heli pads with no start spots.
 Ai traffic was landing where the spots were I removed, AND they even landed on the S-70 spots w/out start spots till I also set those to 0/0/0 settings. The scheduled S-70's only land there now.
You cant delete FSX Heli pads, but they still see them an land there-you have to use heli traffic to set the spots landings/min/max to 0/0/0.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic