SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Asus Z97 Deluxe Sata-Port Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asus Z97 Deluxe Sata-Port Problems
    Posted: November-11-2014 at 7:50am
Hi,

In my new Rigg I use Asus Z97 Deluxe Mobo with 10 Hdd.

All my SSD,s with Windows, Fsx/P3D are connected to the 6 Chipset Sata-Ports (1-6) - it works fine.

2 Veloci-Raptor are connected to the first 2 AsmediaController Ports - it works fine

But as soon as I connect additional Raptors to the second Asmedia Controller, Chipset-Port 5 or 6 are suddenly not recognized in Bios.
Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

If I disconnect and connect again and then start, everything seems to be fine, for a few starts all Drives are recognized.... until suddenly port 6 (Chipset Sata) disppears in the Bios.
So I can never use 10 Drives as described in the Manual.

The Drives are all ok, I made a test on another Computer. Also I testet
all Sata-Cables.

What am I doing wrong or is this a common Problem?
My Bios-Setup is according to Nicks Bible.

Best regards,
Storm    

4790K @4,6; Zotac 780 OC; Asus Z97 Deluxe; Skill@ 2400; extern Watercooler; HAF X; Samsung SSD, Win 7
robmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Storm Storm wrote:

What am I doing wrong or is this a common Problem?
My Bios-Setup is according to Nicks Bible.

I hope not! I am building a new system using the same board and I noticed one of my drives dropping off occasionally over the first couple of weeks, just using the chipset ports. I have 4 SSDs connected to chipset ports 1-4 and one mechanical drive connected to chipset port 5 - I'm not using the ASMedia ports and have these disabled in the BIOS. The BIOS is currently set to optimised defaults with XMP profile for the memory while I'm building. I also tried moving the drive to port 6 but the same problem re-occurred after a day so I moved it back.

Like you I've checked the cables and the drives elsewhere and they seem to be ok but this is an intermittent problem so I can't be sure there's not a fault in either. The BIOS was updated to the latest version (2012) right at the start of the build. For now I've put it down to a poor connection and I've used a new cable and re-routed so there is no lateral strain being put on the connection. The drive has been ok for a few days now.

I also noticed that when this problem occurred a re-boot would not fix it but cycling the power would. There are also occasional reports on the Asus forums of others having issues with ASMedia connected devices but nothing specific to this problem and anyway in our case it was located at a chipset port.

Hopefully this isn't a design problem but that's always possible with new hardware as the board has only been out since June and it has had a few BIOS updates since then.

Rob

(One other thing to check as you are using lots of ports: you need to disable PCIe16 slot 3 to be able to fully use the ASMedia SATA ports - it's in the manual but this link makes it clear: http://atomic-station.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/asus-z97-deluxe-its-problems-and-hidden.html). I see I've just cross-posted with Nick mentioning port sharing as well...
i7 4790K @4.4 GHz, Asus Z97 Deluxe, 8GB 2400 DDR3, Asus GTX980, Samsung SSDs 850 Pro + WD HD, Windows 7 Pro 64. FSX Acceleration.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 9:35am

I don't know anything about this specific board but in addition to a possible connection or cable problem I would check the motherboard manual and see what the ports SHARE with.

Sometimes if a slot is in use that shares with a port that can create a conflict.

I have seen young drivers that can need tweaking cause such issues too.

It could be a driver or BIOS issue they need to address if the cables are confirmed (switch cables to check) and there is nothing sharing on the port.

Storm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 12:47pm
Hi Nick and Rob,

thanks for the answer.

Yes these ports are shared with the Sata-Express-Device. I disabled the PCI Ex 3 Slot in Bios, but this deactivated the Asmedia-Sata ports completely, so none of the drives connected there are seen.

I have the latest Bios and I switched all the cables.

It's strange that the devices connected to asmedia work fine, while Chipset port fails. If I disconnect the asmedia-ports all the Chipset ports are working fine. And this is not reproducable, because sometimes all 10 ports are working for a while.

It seems to be a conflict between the asmedia Sata/Sataexpress and the Chipset Sata/Sataexpress because only these 4 ports are affected.

It's already the second board with this symptom, so i'm afraid I have to live with either 8 Ports or to buy another Mobo.

Best regards,
Storm
4790K @4,6; Zotac 780 OC; Asus Z97 Deluxe; Skill@ 2400; extern Watercooler; HAF X; Samsung SSD, Win 7
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 1:17pm
I just took a quick look at the motherboard manual for this board

ASM 1 1061 shares with PCIe x1_4  SMBus and AMS 1142 that means anything in that 1_4 slot can create a conflict

ASM 2 1063 not only shares with PCIeX16 3 but also PCIex16_1, PCIe x1_1 and PCIe x1_3   AND the Intel USB EHCI host controller

Note that x16 3 is not the same slot as x1_3 but even so if there is something in slots 1 (which would be the video card) but more so in the 2 others on top of it (1_1 and 1_3) I could see a conflict if the drivers for the devices in those slots were not very IRQ share friendly.

USB devices on EHCI2 may effect this too

So anything in those slots could effect the controller.

They really stacked the shares on that board, more than I have seen in the past. I would have been exceptionally weary of using the ASM system with all those shares and probably opted for a 4 port SATA card in PCIx16_3, shutting down ASM completely. Such cards are cheap these days

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 1:44pm
I just noticed the BANDWIDTH allotments for PCIex16_3

This may be key to using the ASM drive system. It is here for the card I have in PCIex16_3

Look on page 3-43 under PCIeX16_3  BANDWIDTH

Try all of them to see if there is a change..    AUTO/X2/X4

That is where I think the issue lies..   there could be something that is out of sorts with the assignment of the bandwidth..   driver or other

EDIT: Now that I re-read that, it would appear it must be in AUTO mode for the ASM SATA ports to be enabled.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 2:03pm
Which port are you losing

There are actually 2 SATA Express here..  _1 is off the INTEL chipset   _E1 is the ASM

If you are losing _E1 then it could be a conflict between INTEL _1 and ASM _E1

The bandwidth selector defines that in X2 Mode SATA EXPRESS_1 (INTEL) should be DISABLED

So what that is telling me is, you cant have both the INTEL _1 and the ASM _E1 populated at the same time without conflicts. 

Now that's just a guess.. Asus has been messing with this share situation for a long time off PCIex16_3    it popped me with a PCIe SSD card I wanted to use in the slot and had to limit it to x1 in order to make use of eSATA on the board I had...   they DONT explain it very clearly to SELL product, and its not just Asus.. a lot of the motherboard makers are doing this now

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 2:22pm

I think the solution for a rack of drives when you need all these ports is to simply not use ASM _E1 and instead get a 2 port (internal port) SATA card, use it in PCIex16 or one of the other unshared or less shared PCIex1 slots and disable ASM_E1 completely.

Storm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 3:17pm
Hi Nick,
thanks for your help

ok I try to sort it out, in the moment i'm not near my Computer.

I played with the PCIeX16_3 Settings last week and tried Auto/X2/X4. It disables the Intel or ASM Ports. Only Auto-Mode is working with both.

If I use ASM-Sata6G-E5 I lose after a few bootings Intel Sata6G-6. After disconnecting, booting, and then connecting again, everthing is ok....until the next morning when booting and the Intel Port is dead.
It looks like a bug with the initialisation of the ports, if all are in use. And it affects only these Sata/Sata Express Ports. The 2 Ports on ASM1 1061 are doing their duty.

The solution with 2 Port internal Satacard sounds logical. Is there a really good one you can recommend? I know nothing about this kind of Cards.

Thanks and best regards,
Storm
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 3:57pm

Yea, this reads to me with standard SATA drives you either get to use one or the other, but both are too much

That could be a BIOS or driver or BOTH need to be addressed.

So you only lose the INTEL side? 

If you can replicate this issue easily, I would disable the ASMedia side and see if the Intel side still drops off leaving the bandwidth at AUTO

If you still lose the Intel side then I don't think is ASM 1061 doing it and could be a defect or something else.

If you can replicate that it only occurs with ASM 1061 enabled then a conflict is probably the reason, and the more I think about it..  its probably the case, you see if you are not using SATA EXPRESS drives which have two ports to one drive then that could be the issue. If both Intel and ASM were setup using SATA E drives then when one port goes down the other is active and visa versa.

Its starting to look more and more like its the system and something that they didn't take into account. None the less if you can replicate it and confirm it would be a better path since if you put a card in there and shut down ASM 1061 it could still happen if the problem has nothing to do with the ASM 1061 to begin with.

as for a card.. any cheap internal SATA port card should do. its just a interface to replace the motherboard ports. You just need to decide if you wish to spend more money for SATAIII over SATAII

If these drives are simply used for backup and dead storage, SATAII is fine. SATAIII are the last 2 in this list, the first 2 are SATAII

just make sure to confirm OS and 32/64 bit for driver support. You may have to go to the manufacture product page to get that specific information.. they link that on the SPECIFICATIONS page of the product toward the bottom.
robmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 6:35pm
Just booted up my Z97 Deluxe and 5 chipset SATA ports are still holding so far. I was getting my problem when booting up after a few hours of inactivity (I tend to switch my PCs off when not in use) but the PSU was still connected to main supply so the board wasn't completely powered down. The PC is being constantly rebooted as well as I'm installing and setting up but has not lost the SATA port under those restart conditions.

Chipset SATA ports 1-4 have always been ok, it's chipset port 5 that has shown the problem and also port 6 once when I tried moving the cable. Throughout I have had the ASM controller disabled, so that's both ASM SATA and USB, as I don't need it and figure that's one less driver I need to run. I'm only using PCIex16 slot 1 for GPU and PCIex1 slot 4 for a sound card. Can't get much simpler than that!
i7 4790K @4.4 GHz, Asus Z97 Deluxe, 8GB 2400 DDR3, Asus GTX980, Samsung SSDs 850 Pro + WD HD, Windows 7 Pro 64. FSX Acceleration.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 7:58pm

Throughout I have had the ASM controller disabled

That's why I am wondering if

a. There is a issue with the Intel SATA EXPRESS ports that has nothing to do with ASM

b. The two issues discussed are different and unrelated. Where Robs was either a cable or other problem, Storm has a different issue.

If they are related then if ASM is disabled and it still happens it would confirm it has nothing to do with ASM and even a SATA card wouldn't correct the problem. At that point its probably a BIOS/Driver issue related to Intel only

A workaround could still be a SATA card, just don't use the last 2 ports on the Intel SE system or ASM and instead use a 4 port internal SATAIII controller card off PCI. Probably could use a 2 port and ASM too, but I would shut that down and let the bandwidth go to a PCIe SATAIII solution for all 4

If its something that has enough attention it will probably be addressed in some kind of update, thing is, not a lot of people are going to be running a full monty rack of drives so it may take time for it to be reviewed and corrected

robmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 4:53am
Yes, that what I was beginning to worry about as I never intended to use the ASM controller anyway (I bought the board for other reasons). I assumed that the implementation of the Z97 chipset would work fine at least as I do see reports on occasion of these extra controllers causing issues.

So far it hasn't happened again for me so perhaps it was a cable issue - these 6Gbs cables are quite thick and I did twist it near the connector maybe a bit too much when first routing the cable. The new cable is now positioned as straight as possible. Another problem is that the 4TB WD drives don't allow the SATA connector clip to engage so I have to hope that the connector stays firmly in place by positioning it so there's a bit of inward pressure from the cable.

Thanks for the suggestion of the SATA PCIe card. That might well help with both of our problems even if they do have different causes.

If we keep having problems is it best to post at the Asus forums or raise a support ticket to get this noticed?
Storm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 11:35am
Hallo,

Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

So you only lose the INTEL side?

Yes, only the Intel Ports. But when I disconnect the ASM-Ports the Intel-Ports start to work again.

Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

If you can replicate this issue easily, I would disable the ASMedia side and see if the Intel side still drops off leaving the bandwidth at AUTO

Actually I did not test this long enough, I was completly focussed on the ASM-Side, but it would really be interesting.

Originally posted by robmw robmw wrote:

I was getting my problem when booting up after a few hours of inactivity

and I noticed exactly the same.

In the rare situations, when all ten ports are properly working, I can constantly restart from Windows and everything is fine. I lose the ports after switching off the Computer and hours of inactivity.

So, same like Rob:

1. If we lose ports, we lose Intel-ports 5 or 6
2. We lose the ports after a while of inactivity

Different to Rob:
   I have ASM enabled and use the ports, Rob has ASM disabled.

Until weekend I'm in Holidays and cannot test anything. Probably during the next week I can use another Asus Z97 and then i will try to find out what happens with ASM disabled.

With my 10 Drives I have not many alternatives. Asrock and MSI have - I think - the same Asmedia-constellation.
Only Gigabyte has Marvell-Controller.
But exept of this Sata-Trouble i'm very satisfied with this Asus Board, it overclocks very nice.

Best regards,
Storm

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 1:02pm
I think you need to retest for a while with ASM disabled completely

If it does it with ASM disabled then its a Intel issue with the BIOS or drivers and nothing to do with ASM

If that is the case and until they issue a fix, if at all, then the solution would still be the PCIe SATA card and simply not use the 2 SATA E ports on the Intel side.
robmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 2:05pm
Well, I just lost port 5 again, first time in a few days and this time after powering up completely from cold.

I took a long look at the BIOS settings again and it seems I DID still have one of the ASM controllers enabled for extra USB support. I know it's not SATA but I thought I had completely disabled all ASM.

Anyway, I disabled it and re-booted (the BIOS did a couple of restarts of its own as well) and port 5 was visible again. Doesn't prove anything by itself but I'm now at least in a state with ASM disabled completely. So if we both stick with this for a while and maybe Storm tries testing with that 2nd board we may be able to narrow in on a fault. My instinct is telling me this board has problems with all the controllers working nicely together.

I'm still building at the moment and will be for another 2-3 weeks so plenty of time to monitor...
warrior-poet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warrior-poet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 1:59am
Wondering if any of you guys figured anything out. I'm experiencing the exact same issue with a new ASUS Rampage V Extreme board. I've replaced the drive, SATA power, SATA data cables, tried reseating and even different RAM, unplugging power from most other components, etc. and have disabled ASMEDIA controllers as well as AMEDIA USB 3.0 in the UEFI. I have a drive on all 6 IRST ports that can be in a RAID and port 5 intermittently fails to see the drive on random cold boots, and only after some time of inactivity. Once it sees it then it works fine until the next period of being turned off for a while. I'm almost to the point of just stop using the port.
Storm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 9:54am
Actually I never found out what happened. May be I was unlucky and had two defect boards.
I had this problem with my first board and sent this board back. But the second board had exact the same issue. From time to time I lost port 5 or 6.

So I made all the tests with disabling ASMEDIA and, and ....., but didn't find any reason. Sometimes it worked  and sometimes not.

I changed again the board and this third board (always Asus Z97 Deluxe) now is working perfect since 1 year.

On the first 6 ports  I have 5 SSD with 3 Windows and the Disc-Player. The rest are storage HDD.

All together 9 Drives. The setup is according to Nick's bible and overclocking guide.

Best regards 

warrior-poet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warrior-poet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 11:58am
Thanks for the quick reply! I was hoping desperately this wasn't going to be a MOBO issue, but suspected it probably was. Based on what you just described it most likely is. Frustrating. Thanks again for the info!
Ronski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 9:02pm
Something that may be relevant,

I've been having problems with swapping out cloned disks,  mostly, updates not working and Internet explorer folder reading 0,  no pictures in outlook etc.  Using new cloned disks in windows 7.
After some research it turned out that the newer drives are moving to the 4K sector format as opposed to the older 512 format.    Now, windows 7 does not by default recognise this new format, service pack 1 and updates are supposed to improve compatibility, depends on the disks.  windows 8 does fully support them.   This leads to the disks to sometimes not being recognised in windows 7.

The solution was to go to Intel and update to the very latest storage drivers.   That fixed the cloned drive issue.

Not sure if it applies to the issue here, but something to be aware of.

Microsoft have a bulletin here ; https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2510009
read through, there are some issues you describe.

I did try this first, but it was , in my case, the Intel drivers.  They also recommend being sure BIOS is up to date etc. etc. usual stuff.

Hope this helps,

Ron.
robmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 8:12am
I've been using the Z97 deluxe for over a year now and the problem hasn't completely gone away although it only occurs rarely (say 1 in 20 start-ups). I just watch the BIOS start-up screen and a hard reset always fixes it if a drive is missing.

Interestingly in my case it only seems to affect my mechanical drive. I have 4 SSDs and 1 large mechanical drive connected to Intel ports 1-5. I've moved the mechanical drive between ports 4 and 5 and on both occasions that was the drive that wasn't recognized when the problem occurred. Since then I've just left it on port 4 and live with the occasional dropped port.

I've also very recently replaced the mechanical drive with a larger one but it's too soon to say yet if this has made any difference.

Rob
mybuilt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mybuilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 4:06pm
Hi robmw, I had been having the same problem like others with configuring the drives and CD's. One of the memory module failed as it turned out it was defective and had to replace the whole set and somehow the images got messed up too and had to do a fresh install.

Playing around with the ports and finally it seems to be stable. My set up is as follows.

INTEL:
Intel 1 : C drive SSD 850 Samsung EVO
Intel 2 : WD Drive
Intel 3 : WD Drive
Intel 4 : WD Drive
Intel 5 : x
Intel 6: CD Pioneer BD

ASMedia:
E1: Top front inputs
E2: Sata Plextor 512
E3: Removable Front swap drive 
E4: CD Asus 

Seems to be working after some juggling around and it seems the Computer likes the current setup. Previously one of the drives or CD would not show up or they would show up after some time. I hope it stays stable.

Intel i7-4790K @4.00GHz;Asus Z97 Deluxe; HAF X; Samsung 850 EVO SSD, Win 7 Ultimate; 32.0 GB 64 Bit, Bios 2903
mybuilt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mybuilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2016 at 2:27pm
Had to rearrange as I realized that the Plextor SSD had to be connected  to the Intel slot to get the SATA speed of 6 Gb/s. In the ASMedia slot it was reading as PCle. Embarrassed
 So everything is working fine now. All drives and CD drives show up Smile

INTEL:
Intel 1 : C drive SSD 850 Samsung EVO
Intel 2 : WD Drive
Intel 3 : WD Drive
Intel 4 : WD Drive
Intel 5 : Sata Plextor 512
Intel 6: CD Pioneer BD

ASMedia:
E1: Top front inputs
E2: X
E3: Removable Front swap drive 
E4: CD Asus 
Intel i7-4790K @4.00GHz;Asus Z97 Deluxe; HAF X; Samsung 850 EVO SSD, Win 7 Ultimate; 32.0 GB 64 Bit, Bios 2903
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic