SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Flight Operations Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Approach Woes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandpaKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Approach Woes
    Posted: April-20-2017 at 8:19pm
No, it's not my flying and it's not setting up the FP properly, it is getting from arrival to approach that my knowledge lets me down.

Just today I was hand flying a DME arc followed by AP controlled ILS approach in the F1 B-200.  The arc went stunningly well, perhaps even good enough to pass a RL checkride so I elected to see what would go wrong this time when I gave the approach to Otto.

I started the turn to final then turned on the AP.  As per normal it went to ROL mode and tried to level the wings.  No surprise, I expected that and quickly activated APP.  She quickly re-established the bank and captured the localizer.  All good so far, but here it comes. 

This IF and turn are so far out, the PFD shows "No GS" where to GS bug should be, I am that far below it.  The plane begins climbing... and climbing.  The climb became so steep, I was in serious danger of stalling especially considering I was at about 80% N1.  (Just so you know, I had the altitude bug set for the next lower altitude step and was flying the published altitude for the current leg.  VS was off, ALT was off.)  I quickly went to NAV mode and VS mode and got things under control.  When the GS finally registered, I re-engaged APP mode and all was well.

This is just a sample of the kind of gong show I go through trying to fly an approach with autopilot.  Another thing that can mess me up is the (often? usual?) discontinuity between the end of the arrival and the beginning of the approach.  It seems too that activating an approach too early can cause unexpected results.

What I'm looking for is step by step procedures for getting correct results.  This includes tips on the flight plan itself and manipulating it as well as proper use of the autopilot.

Thanks
Kim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic