SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[ANSWERED] P3D v4 Updates and GEP3D reinstall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEK_the_Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [ANSWERED] P3D v4 Updates and GEP3D reinstall
    Posted: August-28-2017 at 3:21am
Hi guys,

another Q from a newbie related to P3D..

I'm new to P3D (got my first license with v4's release) and I can't find anything of how to coop with HF or P3D updates that req uninstallation of actual P3D packages...
Since both UTX and GEP3D change files inside of P3D, how exactly should I proceed when LM releases updates?
What part of the package Client / Content / Scenery is modified by GEP3D and UTX?

Regards,
Gerald

PS: Just point me to the manual if my answer is there (I have not read it...) mea culpa Geek.
P3D v4, GEP3D+UTX, ASP4+ASCA, FSGlobal Ultimate NG, ORBX Trees HD, Chase Plane,...
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2017 at 5:11am
Uninstall completely and reinstall with UTX if you change the install directory.

If you do not delete the install directory for P3D and reuse it, UTX should be OK, just open the UTX config tool after reinstall of P3D and it will repair the terrain.cfg. If you change the P3D install directory then UTX will have to be uninstalled/reinstalled

With GEP3D simply do one of the two:

A. Before update, disable GEP3D using the GEP3D interface which will automatically disable UTX upgrades, then after upgrade of P3D, open GEP3D after reinstall of UTX and enable.. always use Run As Administrator

B. If you forget to disable first, After update of P3D, simply run GEP3D after reinstall of UTX and then DISABLE/ENABLE. all fixed 

That's how it works

Make sure to use "Run As Administrator" if you are using any OS above Windows 7. UAC is overbearing crap above Windows 7 even if it is disabled.

GEK_the_Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEK_the_Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2017 at 5:42am
Nick, thanks for your quick reply. I'm still a little confused about the UTX part.
1. So UTX needs to be unistalled (it is not enough to disable UTX from GEP3D interface)?
2. If UTX has to be uninstalled, do I have to disable it first from within the GEP3D interface?

General Q
3. When do I have to uninstall / deactivate the product? (Do I have to do the steps even if only the Client part needs to be updated...).

Thank you.
P3D v4, GEP3D+UTX, ASP4+ASCA, FSGlobal Ultimate NG, ORBX Trees HD, Chase Plane,...
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2017 at 6:07am
This isn't UTX support but we support UTX

So, again...

It doesn't matter with GEP3D if you forget to disable anything before P3D update, go back up and read A and B

UTX may need to be uninstalled and reinstalled..   In the past all I had to do was open the UTX interface after a P3D update and it repaired the terrain.cfg, but, I also know what I am doing and did not delete the P3D install directory where UTX was installed prior and made sure my P3D update installed to the same location.

So at this point, I have explained how to deal with GEP3D which is very simple. If you uninstall P3D but do not delete the install directory, and then reinstall P3D in the same directory, UTX should remain OK, but the terrain.cfg must be repaired which is done by opening the UTX config tool.

With GEP3D use A or B above.. if you happen to change the P3D install directory GEP3D will request a browse to the new location at which point A or B above

Bottom line: Did you disable GEP3D before P3D update? IF SO: USE A   if not, USE B

GEK_the_Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEK_the_Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2017 at 8:57am
Thank you again Nick for your quick answer. I think your last answer is much more complete and understandable.

Unfortunately, and I hope I'm wrong, I "read" a bit of a harsher tone in your writing. I know this is not UTX forum but since your product supports and integrates UTX within it, I thought that this might be the right place to ask my questions. I'm sorry if I was that wrong.

BR,
Gerald
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2017 at 10:38am
Not intentional Big smile

For UTX install/uninstall/reinstall questions its always best to ask the developer who makes UTX directly.

We simply provide a update to their textures that blend with ours but I can not officially answer direct technical questions and be sure I am right, I can only pass on what I know and what I have done.

Anything else must come from the people who make the UTX product.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic