SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[ANSWERED] GEX v2.0 Performance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danewatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [ANSWERED] GEX v2.0 Performance
    Posted: August-03-2017 at 12:24pm
Before purchasing, my question is - does GEX v2.0 affect flight loading times and/or FPS?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 2:12pm
No, not at all. Most say they get higher FPS and nothing in GEX effects load times.

Load times are slowed by photo-scenery, large AI traffic addons and addons that pile in a large number of custom models..   they can also be affected by a large number of addons in the scenery library, none of which GEX changes.

Be sure to update to GEX NA v2.1 after installation and enabling GEX NA in FSX

Once 'Enabled in FSX" click the "Check for Updates" button, follow directions

danewatson View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danewatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 10:18pm
Thank you so much Nick for the info.

Another question - 
Is there any conflict if I have installed ORBX FTX Global Base Pack and/or ORBX FTX  Open LC North America?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 5:06pm
You can not use FTX Global.. the two products are completely incompatible which was outlined on the product page and in the forum

Orbx LC calls textures that do not exist in the library, therefore it can not be used either.

That's how Orbx rolls.... its either all or nothing with them. We are compatible with any scenery that does not replace core sim control files.
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danewatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 5:50pm
Thank you, I am happy to hear this as actually I uninstalled FTX Global as it added almost 3 minutes to my load time and took away some of my FPS. Open Land Class has not been an issue but I also uninstalled it as well and I have been simply using stock FSX-SE with much better performance.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 5:55pm
We recommend Ultimate Terrain X for landclass and other features. It needs to be adjusted too but it adds in detailed information to the landclass that makes far better use of the textures and layout for suburban and city areas.

Our interface includes support for Ultimate Terrain X. When detected on interface open the interface will allow you to install files that create a matching blend between the products.

Be aware, FTX may not uninstall correctly. There has been far more than one support topic in this forum about FTX leaving files behind that can mess with the landclass and cause texture issues.
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danewatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 6:28pm
Good and bad news in your reply.
The possible bad news is how to ensure all of FTX is gone.
I need to do my homework - thanks.
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danewatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 1:34pm
At the point of posting too much, forgive me. But I do not want to make the wrong decission, so for my benefit as well as others that read this and are also looking to UTX / GEX...

My goal is to install all of your related GEX, UTX, Etc. prodcts for my FSX-SE sim as opposed to ORBX FTX products, as well as my upcoming purchase of P3D v4.

1. Is GEX the equivalent type of product to ORBX FTX Global?
2. FTX Global seems to be global where GEX seems to be by regions - is that correct?

3. Is UTX the equivalent type of product to ORBX FTX OpenLC?
4. FTX OpenLC North America covers USA and Canada, where UTX seems to be two different purchases - is that correct?

5. Do you offer an equivalent type product to ORBX FTX NA Pacific Northwest?

6. ORBX FTX provides your purchased product to be installed in multiple sims like FSX-SE as well as P3D without any extra cost - is that also your policy?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 1:44pm
1. Equivalent as in a ground graphics and autogen annotation replacement, yes

2. Yes

3. It is far more detailed than OpenLC with more accurate features

4. Yes

5. No, that is a specific area product

6. Yes. UTX and GEX can be used in both FSX and FSXSE with no extra charge
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danewatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 2:58pm
Thanks again for your answers.
One problem though - my last question (#6) - is that a typo, did you mean P3D and FSXSE instead of FSX and FSXSE?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 3:19pm
I don't recall reading P3D included in the inquiry when I originally read it. Perhaps it was edited or I missed it.. GEX can be used in FSX Box and FSX Steam Edition at no extra charge.

P3D is a different platform with changes to files as well. GEX can not be used in Prepar3D.

Ground Environment Prepar3D World Edition which is a world-wide coverage and not single region product is what would be used for Prepar3D and is a separate purchase. http://www.simforums.com/forums/ground-environment-prepar3d-world-edition-release_topic52610.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic