SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[ANSWERED] Cannot enable GEX-EU

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphons10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [ANSWERED] Cannot enable GEX-EU
    Posted: November-24-2017 at 4:19am
I had to reinstall FSX-SE and thus all add-ons. I am unable to enable GEX-EU from the interface. It freezes every time after the green loading bar finished.( see pic) From this point onwards I cannot do anything with the Interface and have to restart the PC. I tried all steps known to me (I had a different GEX  issue back in Feb. and Nick helped me to solve the issue so I know a lot of steps to remedy the problem)

I install my add-ons in the order: FSUIPC (paid version as I run all my controls via FSUIPC ) UTX-EUROPE, GEX-EUROPE, aircrafts, airports and other utilities.

UTX-Europe seems to install without any problems and shows as active.

So far I installed and uninstalled GEX-EU  5 times, FSX-SE 2 times, re downloaded GEX via the wrapper and decompress all files to: C:\Flight One Software, following all the installation advise (no virus prg, malaware bytes off,  no UAC, firewall off, defender off) Yet when I get to the stage of enabling the software in the interface, it loads and freezes in the end. I run everything with right mouse click as administrator.
I use the latest version GEX-EU 2.40, it installs successfully, The interface opens with no problem asking me to create the GEX-REGIONS-BACKUP which it also creates successfully. After that I click the button Ground Environment Europe and enable. The green Loading bar appears and runs until full and there it gets stuck. From that Moment onwards I can do absolutely nothing with the interface or loading bar, no reaction but also no error message or Program is not responding message from Windows. Just dead. The only way I can get rid of it is to shut down or restart the PC. After that I can run the whole process again with the same results.

Now when I try to uninstall the program, I cannot do so via Programs and features although it pretends to run but everything is still there in the end. I can also NOT uninstall via the uninstall Application in the GEX Europe folder. The only way to get rid of everything is deleting.

I delete the main program folder which sits on the same SSD as my FSX-SE.

I also delete the GEX_REGION_BACKUP.

I do NOT delete the program itself on C:\Flight One Software with the wrapper and the decompressed files.

I delete the GEX directory from C:\Users\<MY USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Flight One Software

I check my start menu and delete the entire Ground Environment X directory in the start menu.

I delete the GEX interface from my desktop.

The Event Viewer in Windows does NOT show any error messages in the Application window.

Then I start all over again installing either from the wrapper or the decompresses Application file running it as administrator. At the end with the same result when trying to enable the loading bar get´s stuck at the end.

Could somebody point me in the right direction what else I could try QuestionQuestion
Thanks a lot

Al
(Running Windows 10 Home 64, FSX steam, FSUIPC,  UTX )

BELOW: That is the point where it get´s stuck and freezes. I waited the longest for 30 min. when nothing happened I had to restart the PC.Ouch

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2017 at 12:31pm
Given the steps taken I have absolutely no idea.

Nothing like this has ever been reported before and I have never seen it happen under any condition.

The only thing I can think of is some kind of recent Windows 10 update may have created a problem, but nothing we do should be affected by such updates.

I don't have Windows 10 Home, I have Windows 10 pro but only use it for development testing. I can try updating it to the most recent version with Windows updates and see if I can duplicate the issue on this end.

=================================================

EDIT: I do have a few thoughts, it would be a very wild coincidence, but possible. If your hard drive that GEX is installed on has a issue with the Windows file allocation table, I could see the process halting/freezing like that.

Since there are no error codes, no apparent issues creating the backup and the operation runs to full bar, after checking for any W10 update issues, I will see if I can create a situation that will duplicate the problem by simulating folder attribute changes.

It will take some a day or so for me to go though everything here. In the mean time you could run Check Disk scans on all your drives and see if any issues are reported by Windows.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2017 at 1:16pm
One other item...   you should not have to reboot the PC if GEX stops like that. You should be able to open the TASK MANAGER find GEX in the list, right click and select END TASK

and last... 

Now when I try to uninstall the program, I cannot do so via Programs and features although it pretends to run but everything is still there in the end. I can also NOT uninstall via the uninstall Application in the GEX Europe folder. The only way to get rid of everything is deleting. 

That makes no sense unless there is some kind of corruption, or, are multiple installs of GEX from manually deleting/reinstalling and the registry is not cleaned because the uninstaller doesn't know where the files are.

I am not sure why you had to reinstall FSXSE, but GEX did not have to be reinstalled, just the interface re-run after the FSXSE reinstall to cycle the texture install.

What happened that caused you to have to reinstall FSX Steam?

alphons10 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphons10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2017 at 2:48pm
First and most important. IT WORKS.  But the way to achieve it is far from being normal. After trying a few more times it occurred to me to try to enable it in SAFE MODE. And this did the trick, enabled without a glitch. I noticed also that the green bar during the process ran much faster than in Windows normal mode. I checked if it was still enabled in normal mode and yes it is. So there must be a conflict somewhere and you get around it only by running safe mode.

Your other question - I reinstalled FSX-SE because I wanted a clean start, too many addons, traffic, airports, the whole system got pretty slow, when I minimized it I couldn´t maximize it again, had to use the task manager for it, and with SE re installation is easy. Of course I did not know that I did not have to reinstall GEX.
Anyhow I could not solve the problem but I at least I got around it.
Thanks Nick
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2017 at 3:08pm
Something isn't right...   If it runs correctly in safe mode but not in normal mode there is definitely something either blocking or hindering the interface.

I have Windows 10 updated now, I uninstalled FSXSE and STEAM completely as well as GEX regions.

Right now I am reinstalling everything to try and duplicate your end. I will report back as soon as I have everything reinstalled.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2017 at 3:25pm
One item I do know..  if your Steam client is set to update itself and games in the background it is possible the directory for FSX was somehow locked while that silent process runs. I shut all that automatic Steam and Steam game updating down so the only time it will update the client is when I tell it to and the only time it will update FSX is when I launch FSX.

I will post back after everything gets installed and I can evaluate on this end.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2017 at 4:42pm
I have completed my checks on this end. I am posting this list so you can see how I tried to reproduce your issue on this side

I do not run with UAC enabled in Windows 10 but I still run all installers 'As Admin'

What I did:

• 1. Uninstalled FSXSE completely
  • 2. Uninstalled Steam completely
  • 3. Uninstalled GEX (all regions)
  • 4. Confirmed everything uninstalled completely, including the registry entries (no issues)
  • 5. Flushed FSXSE and Steam orphan directories
  • 6. Rebooted
  • 7. Ran Windows Update and confirmed all latest updates were installed/Reboot
  • 8. Reinstall Steam Client (Run As Admin) Disabled automatic client and game updates
  • 9. Reinstall FSXSE (Automated through Steam)
  • 10. Ran FSXSE (first run to establish its base file writes) Launched a flight, closed FSXSE
  • 11. Closed Steam completely.
  • 12. Downloaded GEX Europe from Flight1, verified integrity of files
  • 13. Unwrapped GEXEU 3.4 (Run as Admin) Installed (Run as Admin)
  • 14. Started GEX EU (Run as Admin). It found FSXSE automatically and then ran the initial backup
  • 15. Selected GEX EU and selected to ENABLE

There were no issues here. I verified the file transfer in FSXSE visually.

• 16. Closed the sim and Steam, reopened the GEX interface as Admin and verified the settings held, then I clicked the CHECK FOR UPDATES button. Interface opened the web browser and offered GEX Europe v3.5 update. I closed the interface.
  • 17. Downloaded and installed the patch as Admin. The patch automatically found the registry and the location of the region folder, no need to browse anything.
  • 18. Opened GEX interface as Admin, verified the version was reading 3.5 and re-enabled GEX EU in FSXSE.

No issues were seen. I tried making test changes to directories and configuration files. I could not reproduce what you are seeing on your end.

So at this point I am completely stumped as to why the interface will not complete the process on your end in Windows 10 or why your system became slow other than the possibility of a bug or malware in the mix.

Do note that GEX Europe is now v2.50. The region(s) you have must be 'Enabled in FSX" to check for updates...  Open the GEX interface, click the CHECK FOR UPDATES button. Download the patch(es) available for your install. Close the interface and install as Admin, reopen when complete and re-enable your GEX region(s)

alphons10 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphons10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 5:56am
Yes, there is definitely a Windows problem. I downloaded Version 2.50 , when trying to install, it hangs after about 30 seconds and 20% of the green bar. Have to close it and get message. Program not responding. This is probably the same problem which I get when the enable feature stops at installation. 
So I did what I did before and installed and enabled via SAFE MODE without a problem.
I checked the event manager and got the following error:

The program irsetup.exe version 9.5.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

Process ID: 28d8

Start Time: 01d365d255c68699

Termination Time: 4

Application Path: C:\Users\AMC\AppData\Local\Temp\_ir_sf_temp_0\irsetup.exe

Report Id: 910476d3-eb2a-4fed-a4b3-3f9bf01bf61d

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Application Hang" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>101</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-11-25T09:48:06.466191400Z" />

<EventRecordID>10000</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>MSI-DESKTOP</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data>irsetup.exe</Data>

<Data>9.5.0.0</Data>

<Data>28d8</Data>

<Data>01d365d255c68699</Data>

<Data>4</Data>

<Data>C:\Users\AMC\AppData\Local\Temp\_ir_sf_temp_0\irsetup.exe</Data>

<Data>910476d3-eb2a-4fed-a4b3-3f9bf01bf61d</Data>

<Data />

<Data />

<Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

No idea if that means anything to you but I think I am going to need to repair install Windows 10, don´t see any other choice.

Anyhow, thank you very much for your help, at least I got it working not albeit in a work around way.

alphons10 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphons10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 6:03am
By the way, I told you that I was also unable to uninstall GEX , not in Programs and feature nor via the uninstall app. That´s the message I was getting, just for your info.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 12:11pm
Invalid Start Mode: Archive Filename

I recall some years ago we had a few of those errors show up (like 3 or 4) after folks did a "Windows Upgrade" instead of a clean install of Windows. The error indicates that files or commands are missing to complete the uninstall operation. The files should be in the uninstall folder and they link to registry entries for uninstall through Programs and Features. None of the errors we saw had anything to do with the software but damage caused by the 'Windows upgrade' installation. Some license files became useless as well under the same condition. reinstalls of the software corrected the issue.

In your case, that isn't happening  

The program irsetup.exe version 9.5.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed.

I have seen this listed periodically (not GEX) and at different PC security sites when looking for malware or virus issues. Sometimes its a over aggressive scanner blocking the execution of the installer, other times it was a real bug trying to execute.

Neither one of these errors should be happening. Why they are on your end I can not say, nor can I say a 'repair' of Windows 10 will correct the problems.

You said your machine was getting slow. I'm not sure if you meant the computer outside sim use or both. As long as you are not overloading the hard drives to the point where they are literally filled, I cant see a system 'getting slow' unless there have been many startup programs installed, something was wrong with Windows, or, the system has critters running in the background.

Now a days these malware programs are pretty slick in avoiding detections. The really nasty ones can sometimes require more than one scanner to locate them, ie; Malwarebytes + one or two others. Sometimes it takes a very aggressive scanner such as ComboFix which could leave the PC unusable if it finds Windows system files have been compromised.

Not saying you are infected, just throwing out possibilities for a system to slow down and also exhibit strange behavior as yours shows.

I find it very strange that uninstallers that should run without problems are not being allowed to run correctly. I could not find anything here that would replicate the condition you are seeing. I may be able to force it if I manually corrupt and delete files and registry entries. Something that should never happen.

alphons10 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphons10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2017 at 10:26am
By "machine was getting slow" I just meant the execution of some tasks like enabling GEX went faster in safe mode, but then again this might be due to less load.

I think I will try to repair/reinstall windows - but without reinstalling all my apps. and see what happens. 
Thanks Al
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2017 at 11:45am
The GEX program can appear to stall during operation simply because in Windows mode it is scanning the target directory, verifying the files and checking the backup to confirm the files being replaced are in fact stored safely before transferring. I mean it shouldn't stall for 10 minutes or anything like that but there can be pauses during the operation where it may appear the interface is locked, when it isn't.

If a system is bogged down and slow to begin with those scan pauses can take more time that usual and if there is a AV security scanner running that can increase the time too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic