SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Scenery and Mission Making Tools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AFX problems and update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunbjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AFX problems and update
    Posted: September-09-2017 at 11:24am
Some days ago I bought AFX and now the runways will not be created although the nodes and links are. I have got version 1.08 but there is no update file in the folder "Flight One Software".Where do I find the updates? Do I need to update both 1.09 and 1.10?

Thanks in advance for any help

Gunbjo

Win10, Nvidia Geforce GTX660, Intel Core i5-4460 CPU 3.20GHz, HD 1 TB, RAM 8GB
Gunbjo View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunbjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2017 at 3:04pm
I can't say I agree that AFX is such a great program as long as I can't create the runway Surface. The taxiways are created directely so no problem there. I am trying to edit a stock airport by lengthen the runway with help of a background image from GoogleEarth. I am doing as told in the manual but no new runway.
By the way, I found the update so I have got the 1.10 version but it didn't change anything.
I can't either recommend AFX for changing the altitude of airports because it too often fails in changing the ground altitude so you either get a runway hanging in the air or under the ground.
GaryGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2017 at 11:46am
Hello:

Did you first create a terrain flatten under your RWY(s) ? Question

Regardless of whether you use the built-in feature to do this in Airport Facilitator X (aka "AFX"), Airport Design Editor (aka "ADE"), or via manually coded SDK BGLComp-XML, if you use default FS RWY objects, they will be flat, hardened surfaces that only accommodate the internally supplied theoretical 'curve' of the Earth's surface at various positions on the FS 3D world globe.

This is required to accommodate the new "Earth Curvature" 3D world model of the terrain in FSX / P3D (unlike FS2Kx terrain which was a sequence of 'flat tiles' submitted by the FS run time rendering engine).

This process (automatically provided by AFX or SDK BGLCompiler utility functions) does not accommodate 'substantial' local variations in the default or custom terrain mesh, so a "flatten" must be placed by end users underneath default RWY objects. Wink

http://www.simforums.com/forums/afx-flattening_topic41689.html

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=AFX+flatten&oq=AFX+flatten&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i22i30k1.1838.6892.0.8949.11.11.0.0.0.0.123.1079.6j5.11.0.dummy_maps_web_fallback...0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.11.1076...0j0i131k1j0i131i46k1j46i131k1j0i10k1.0.Uk9J69facmQ

GaryGB
Gunbjo View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunbjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 2:25pm
Many thanks for a quick answer. No,I hadn't flattened the area but now I have done so and yet the result is the same. I even deleted the links and the end node and created them again but no luck. Must it be done in a certain order?
I am inserting an image of the airport so you can see the result. It is the airport of Aracaju in eastern Brasil and it has been changed a lot compared with what is shown by Scenery Tech Landclass, and the runway is about 500 meters longer than before. I hope the picture can be a help.

Gunbjo View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunbjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 2:39pm
I see the picture became a bit odd but it is the upper part that is concerned. You can see the old end node and also th flattened polygon and to the left of the old endnode a very short part of the runway has been created. I see that the boundary fence is partly outside the flatt poly. Does it matter?
GaryGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 5:12pm
Hi again:

Assuming you have...

1.) Saved the BGL for the CVX vector flatten polygon to a \Scenery sub-folder under a top-folder

2.) Linked that folder chain to a new Area at or near the top of the layer stack in FSX Scenery Library GUI

3.) Exited, then re-started FSX

...the flatten 'should' modify the default FSX terrain in that area.

If all the above steps have been performed, and the terrain is still not flattened, I must ask:

* Are you using a 3rd party add-on scenery containing terrain mesh or flattens for that airport area ? Question

GaryGB
Gunbjo View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunbjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2017 at 2:06pm
Yes, I have done all that. I am using the AddOns folder for everthing I do with help of IOS; IS3 and AFX. Earlier I used the free version of AFX to be able to change the altitudes of the airfields situated on the wrong altitudes. But while some airfields was changed together with the surrounding texture many others changed only the run and taxiways and other principal airfields objects but not the surrounding texture.
And the AddOn folder is at the top of the library.
I have got the UTX Landclass covering Europe and Norh Ameica. The rest of the world is covered by Scenery Tech Landclass.
As texture I am using GEX Africa-Middle East and Asia-South America. But I haven't got any add-on airport yet.
Well, I also haveFSGUX 3D terrain covering the whole globe.
I wonder, if there is no problem with the taxiways why must it be with the runways? Are they made in such a different way so it would be a difference?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic