SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Add on scenery error pop up on FSX start up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver wings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Add on scenery error pop up on FSX start up
    Posted: June-13-2012 at 9:29am
I am getting a popup when I start the FSX program with the following message:
Cfg File Error. Local Scenery Directory (Addon Scenery\SCENERY) in scenery Area 115 not found. Click ok to continue.
How do I get this straightened out. Do I need to reinstall FSX with all addons again or is there a fix.

Thanks,

Alec
i7 960 3.2Ghz Asus P6X58D GTX560 500GB,300GB velociRaptor 6GB DDR3 Win 7x64 UTX,GEX,USA,Can, Eur.
idahosurge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idahosurge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 10:35am
Go find your scenery.cfg, in Win7 it is at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX, make a backup of your scenery.cfg and put it in a safe place just in case.

Open your scenery.cfg with notepad and scroll to #115 in your scenery.cfg and see what it is.  Start FSX and open your Scenery Library go find the entery for #115 and delete it.  Start FSX and see if your problem is solved.  If it is then go back into the scenery library and you can add whatever #115 was back in if it was something that you want to keep.  Restart FSX and see if it is okay.  If you get the same error then you are going to have to figure out what is missing from the scenery that is #115.

STZ87 / 4770K @ 4.7GHz/4400MHz; TR SB-E x2; G.Skill Trident X 8GB 2400MHz @ 9-11-11-31-1T; Gigabyte GTX780 OC; OS SSD-840 Pro 256GB; FSX SSD-840 Pro 256GB; CS AX860i; Win7 Ult 64b; HAF-X
Silver wings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver wings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 2:33pm
Well I tried that procedure and all it did when I removed item 115 from the scenery library it reverted one of the other items in it's place and named it 115 and I can't replace it. I think that the best method would be to reinstall FSX and all the addons. By the way if I click ok on the popup it reloads files and I can still fly , but I just don't like that popup so will redo FSX starting tomorrow. This makes it about the fifth time I have to do this. Sure is a lot of work just to fly a plane occasionally. Oh well no rest for the wicked. LOL

Alec
i7 960 3.2Ghz Asus P6X58D GTX560 500GB,300GB velociRaptor 6GB DDR3 Win 7x64 UTX,GEX,USA,Can, Eur.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idahosurge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 2:50pm
So you still get a 115 error?

If so and if you want to try something before you just uninstall/reinstall open your scenery.cfg and copy then paste here what you have for #114,, #115 and #116.  Include everything there is under those three enteries.

Did you delete anything from your FSX folder just before this started?

Edit:  Actually post #113 through #116 from your original scenery.cfg and put the original back into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX
STZ87 / 4770K @ 4.7GHz/4400MHz; TR SB-E x2; G.Skill Trident X 8GB 2400MHz @ 9-11-11-31-1T; Gigabyte GTX780 OC; OS SSD-840 Pro 256GB; FSX SSD-840 Pro 256GB; CS AX860i; Win7 Ult 64b; HAF-X
meshman View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meshman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Silver wings Silver wings wrote:

...so will redo FSX starting tomorrow.

Oh, that's not necessary. What the message box is telling you is that it cannot find a folder for the entry. FSX will still function just fine. Want to fix things? Here's how, quick and easy.

Open a Windows Explorer window. Navigate to your FSX installation folder. Expand the main folder to show the sub-folders. Don't see one named Addon Scenery, do you? Probably a bad uninstaller ate it on it's way off your hard drive. Inside Windows Explorer make a new sub-folder underneath FSX named... \Addon Scenery. Then underneath \Addon Scenery make two new sub-folders, one named \scenery and the other \texture.

Start up FSX and go into the Settings | Scenery Library page. Add the newly made \Addon Scenery folder, hit OK and fly happy!

There are a lot of people, like me, who do not install addons into FSX unless it's absolutely necessary. I use a specific folder to install to far away from FSX. This allows me to see what's happening to my computer and to be able to stop some things that I don't want to occur. A copy and paste can get things into FSX most of the time or if I have to, I uninstall from my "safe location" and then go back and reinstall into FSX.
econiii View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote econiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 7:10pm
I was having the same "scenery area 115 not found" error and I found this application that fixed it.

Un-zip it and be sure to follow the instructions in the "Read me" file.

Worked great and I had no problems but use only at your discreation... Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver wings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 11:43am
I give up. I have been trying since last night to find the FSX installation folder both in the main drive and the FSX drive  to no avail. I get FSX cannot be found and there is no folder with FSX anywhere . The FST scenery.exe doesn't help either. When I get back this afternoon I am going to reinstall FSX and possibly the entire system again since this is becoming a permanent procedure anyway. At least I'll be moving ahead and it may be the best thing to do since I don't know if any other problems exist with the computer and program. I made the mistake of including the FSX drive for a system check by Advance System Care Pro which removed the missing item in FSX. I tried system restore and it would't restore and actually locked up the computer. I tried to repair the operating system with the Win7 disk after System restore did that and got a message that Microsoft could not repait the problem. I finally got around that stupidity and repaired the system myself. When the new system is on line I will follow NickN's suggestion to disable System restore since it doesn't do any type of decent job when you need it anyway. System restore was returned to operating condition after I completed O&O defrag. Perhaps someone may have a suggestion on whether I should continue using Advance System Care Pro. Gads!! What a nightmare.

Alec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idahosurge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 12:55pm
If I were you I would not ever use Advance System Care Pro again and I never use anything like that.

Why did you use it in the first place?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver wings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 1:15pm
It was ridiculous I guess to use on the FSX drive, a first. What do you use to clean your registry of reduntant files, empty folders, leftover sections, malware, spyware, etc. I have also just installed Eset DOD32. I am open to suggestion to keep my computer running well.
After a fresh start what is good to use.?

Alec
katyp View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 4:14pm
After a fresh start make a back-up image of the disk then don't install any of these snake oils cleaners, just keep the OS and the antivirus up to date. MS Security Essentials is light and all that is needed really.

Best
Katy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver wings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 5:54pm
This sounds like a good plan. I will take your advice, redo the entire computer and start fresh. What is a good Image save program. I have recently bought Spotmau Boot suite to restore  the FSX computer after it got hit with a short blackout and the system developed a popup which stopped the computer from booting. That's when I bought that. it didn't work and  had to be reformatted anyway. Spotmau may have an image back up setup on the disk I hope. It is odd though, my other computer didn't fail.
I also invested big bucks for a UPS back up battery system for the gaming computer a weekj ago. It is strange I've been into computers since the 1980's with just a surge protector and don't ever recall any problem. We seem to be getting many thunderstorms around here lately ,upstate New York, so that may have a bearing on the power outs and surges.
I was thinking of just reformatting the FSX drive but since you and Idahosurge say it is best not to use that garbage I'll do the entire computer again.
Thank you,
Alec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idahosurge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 11:51am
As far as registry cleaners I use CCleaner and GlarySoft's Registry Cleaner, I have never had a problem with either, but I have seen Nick post that he does not use anything like that and does not think it is necessary.

I use ESET NOD32, Malwarebytes and Spybot.  As far as old files and folders, I get rid of them manually, I do not use any kind of software to do it for me.

I do a CHKDSK on all drives once every three months or so and keep my FSX drives defragged with O&O.  I update Win7 on my OS SSD once a month.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 12:23pm
reg cleaners are not needed with Windows7 as the issues with the registry and performance were addressed with W7. As a matter of fact reg cleaners can be dangerous.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver wings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2012 at 1:32pm
Thank you Nick. I guess the best thing is to stop using all these crazy programs that seem to be causing nothing but trouble for me including Ccleaner and do the clean up of old folders and files, and temp folders that are installed every time the internet is accessed.

Alec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver wings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2012 at 1:43pm
Hi all, I kept at it before redoing the system and was able to remove the Scenery.cfg 115 popup by following instructions. Now I have a new popup as below.
Scenery.cfg File Error.  Path in Scenery Area 151. Click on ok to continue. This does not exist in the scenery.cfg fil but I found it by accessing Note pad finding Scenery.cfg old and removed it from there but it still pops up.
A question for you Nick is : should I bite the bullet and redo the entire system not installing any thing like Registry cleaners, Spyware, Mallware except DOD32 and O&O defrag to clean up this mess.
Thanks,

Alec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver wings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 11:48am
OK,
After pondering my options and reading information on line about Registry cleaners and defrags etc I have answered my own questions and will rebuild both computers without installing any of these snake oil products. Nod32 and O&O defrag are it. From what I gathered it seems that Win 7 was corrected and updated to take care of these unneeded  gimicks. Besides, both computers are acting strange and crashing at odd times because of all this garbage to which I've exposed them. I will say one thing for sure I believe that redoing computers has become easier LOL It takes a while before I come to my senses and stop buying all these stupid setups.

Thank you for all your feedback,

Alec
katyp View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 9:02pm
The trick is resisting the urge to "just install that program to see if this one works"  Smile
Best
Katy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic