SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed7th and 8th gen pc and windows 7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Ted striker Ted striker wrote:

Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

The monitor updates through the USB-C port so to get firmware updates you must have the Thunderbolt rated USB-C cable, and, a computer that has USB-C output

This seems like a bizarre requirement to have the latest and greatest motherboard ports and cables just to update the monitor firmware. Sounds like I won't be getting this monitor in the near future. Thanks for the heads up on this.

How does P3D look and perform for you in full screen UHD on this LG monitor?

Ted

P3D performs fine on it but I don't use extravagate addons either. 

A correction,.. LG provides a USB-C to USB-3 (or 3.1) standard plug converter in the box but they do not provide the thunderbolt cable which is something one must purchase at BestBuy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/belkin-38-thunderbolt-3-usb-c-cable-black/5688511.p?skuId=5688511

You do not need the USB-C output on the tower just a minimum USB-3 or 3.1 which the converter plugs into and the USB-C thunderbolt goes between that and the monitor.

I simply used the USB-C tower port without any converter when I updated the firmware. It can be done without USB-C on the tower itself, just not through USB-2

Ted striker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2017 at 2:35pm
Thanks for clarifying that Nick. Looks like my old Asus z77 does motherboard supports USB 3.0. Having to buy the extra cable is not as bad as having to upgrade the motherboard.

Ted
3770K @4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-C12P, Asus Z77-V Deluxe, Corsair 2133-9-11-10-27-2T, 780 GTX, Win7-64 on 128gb Intel 520 SSD, FSX on 256gb Intel 520 SSD, PC Power & Cooling 750W, Antec P193 case
TheFamilyMan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2017 at 11:38am
NickN, thanks for the deep dive with a DDR4 system, and giving comfort for my thought that my 4770k OC is still FSX relevant.  As for how I like to run FSX, it gives me all I desire as it has for years now. I've not yet seriously considered a new build...sad state of affairs considering 4 years have passed.  Bummer that Win10 has turned the PC into a recurring "wack a mole" experience, and that's not just for the FS enthusiast.  Been fighting that new war with my kids' and wife's laptops:  "how come this no longer works....?"  Argh!!!!!

Here's a link for what looks like a death-defying 8700K OC with smoooookin' low DDR4 latency:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1634577/various-6-core-coffee-lake-lineup-i7-8700k-i5-8600k-official-reviews-benchmarks-update-19/5300_50#post_26414506
Of course, Mt. Everest sized grains of salt accompany such posts, but at least it sets a bar.

Keeping an eye on DTG FSW.  Their trajectory looks to bring innovations to ESP which P3D will be playing catch-up, that is if they bother at all.  I hope their efforts continue successfully.

Originally posted by Ted striker Ted striker wrote:

How is that new UHD monitor working out for you though? Wink

Love it..    I don't have to wear my glasses when looking at it.  LOL
HA!  This is precisely why I wear my glasses...to revel in that razor sharp clarity!!! Shocked
Rod O.

i7 4770k @4.5/4.3, Asus Z87 Pro, 2x8GB DDR3 2400 cas 10, evga 1070 gtx SC, Corsair TX-750 PSU, Silver Arrow SB-E HSF

Win 7 Ult 64, Asus 25" IPS 2K monitor
Avidean View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2017 at 12:23pm
At this point I am considering returning the DDR4 3200mhz CL14 that I got from newegg while I can. Is it worth keeping or should I send it back. Thoughts and suggestions?

EDIT: I guess its a keeper since they want $71 for restocking.
i7 4770k, SABERTOOTH Z87, GTX 980ti, G-SKILL TRIDENT 2400MHZ 9-11-11-31
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2017 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Avidean Avidean wrote:

At this point I am considering returning the DDR4 3200mhz CL14 that I got from newegg while I can. Is it worth keeping or should I send it back. Thoughts and suggestions?

EDIT: I guess its a keeper since they want $71 for restocking.

are you going to buy a Kaby or Coffee processor?

Keep!

Sky it will work but Do hit the motherboard QVL hard on that one

Probably should for the others but that was NOT a bad investment for the latter procs and clocks possible

Originally posted by TheFamilyMan TheFamilyMan wrote:

Here's a link for what looks like a death-defying 8700K OC with smoooookin' low DDR4 latency:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1634577/various-6-core-coffee-lake-lineup-i7-8700k-i5-8600k-official-reviews-benchmarks-update-19/5300_50#post_26414506
Of course, Mt. Everest sized grains of salt accompany such posts, but at least it sets a bar.

Lets get real here..  If I am doing 38-39 on the latency  with DDR3 2400 C9-11--11 and he has to push it there to beat that?

I can fry the crap out of any processor or video card in order to post computer screen pron

Wanna see what a 780GTX can do over and above in compare to a say a 980 when I wont be using that 780 for very long after?

Better yet, my 4770K Haswell running 24/7 overclocked safely for 4.5 years could be smoked in order to get computer ProN clicks from all over the world... I figure I could register about 5.4Ghz long enough to make several screen caps, I would be smart enough to embed click ad income into that WinkLOLLOLLOL

seriously  there is this week/month in reality and then there is  24/7 for the next 5 years, IN reality

Kingpin over at Futuremark has been going for the LN2 proc/vc/mb result since I can remember. He wins then throws it all in the dumpster behind his flat because its all trash after that.. but he is still "Kingpin" at "Futuremark Beer

Fly happy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2017 at 2:46am
Maybe there is a valid reason now to look at the ROG boards. As an example, I looked up the Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero QVL and sure enough, GSKILL 3200C14 32GB was on that list. 

I assume that list was made when not overclocking the snot out of the processor, though.
Hans

W7/64 Ultimate, FSX Gold, SB-E 3930K @ 4.7, Sabertooth X79, GTX580, 4x2GB G.Skill RipjawsZ @ 2133-9-11-10-28-1T, Corsair H110+Obsidian 900D,Seasonic P-1000, GEX, UTX, UT2, REX, S-Tech LC, NGX.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2017 at 4:53am
ROG may be a good idea if you are going for the tight high speed memory

In the past they were what I would call, "ridiculously marketed" , to those who had no idea what the were doing or needed them for

I actually do see a change in how the ROG boards will run the faster/tighter memory and I am sure they know what they are doing with that change. People are no longer complete nincompoops..  they are making those boards to run the higher speed/tight memory, where in the past the cheaper boards would do the same job for 1/2 the price but of course may not have the tower features.

From what I saw with the z270 Mark1 and DDR4 3200...  .. stepping it up would have made a huge difference with ease of build. 
Avidean View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2017 at 8:10am
I am in two minds weather to wait another year or not. I had a couple of issues with my system.
One on my memory modules stopped working so I was down to 12MB of Memory but I RMA'd it to G-Skill and they sent me a new one the exact same as the modules I already have so that was great back up to 16GB. I am also having a couple of mother board issues. Nothing terrible = the assists fans on my sabbertooth Z87 have started to squeal very loadly and the system often does not shut down completely, i.e. fans continue to run after system is shut down. I got an RMA from Asus and the board is still under warrantee. I asked them if they would just send me replacement Assist fans. The answer was no and they said they would most likely be sending me and new board and not the same one and a different model. So if I follow through on the RMA I might be lucky and get a z370 board back then all I would need is the 8700k for the build. If I though there was a chance of getting 5ghz + and installing windows 7, I'll probably do it.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2017 at 5:09pm

I am impressed Asus is honoring a warranty after this many years but I would think they have to send back a board that supports your current CPU and hardware

Avidean View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2017 at 7:26am
The Sabertooth Z87 has a five year warranty so its covered until August this year. I was more surprised that G-Skill honoured the lifetime warranty on the memory module because I overclocked the sh*t out of it LOL!
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2017 at 11:41am
G-Skill I know is very good on returns. One of the reasons why hanging on to low timing memory when it comes out can be important. Its not like you will be out of warranty if you don't build right away. Asus can sometimes be a flaky about returns.

They are both good companies.

Avidean View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 5:55pm
Ive taken the plunge. I disassembled my system and took the faulty Sabertooth Z87 back to Asus today. They said that if they didn't have a replacement board they would contact me with options. I figure that would be offering me an alternative MB. Cant see them giving me a Z370 MB so whatever it is will be going on fleabay with the rest of old system except the 980ti. I looked at my old 3dmark06 scores and the best I got from my previous system which was an i7 720 with GTX 580 was 32064. The CPU was overclocked to 4.6ghz.  If I remember correctly it wasn't very stable. LOL! Best score I got with the Haswell at 4.8ghz and a 980ti was 41490. I've seen 47158 for a i7 8700k at 5ghz with a 1080ti. I know the CPU is a lottery but hopefully I'll get 5ghz+

I probably wouldn't have bothered but my hand is somewhat forced given I had to RMA the MB anyway.

Nick you mentioned that after you delide the CPU you stuck the heat spreader back on. Mind sharing the name of stuff you used?

Edit: I saw one result on Future Mark of 51691 at 5.2ghz so I'll aim for that LOL
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 6:23pm
4.8ghz and a 980ti was 41490 

that's a nice score and right in line. I had hit 41-42 with the Haswell @ 4.8 and the GTX 780 clocked up as I recall. @ 4.75 and non clocked it sits stable at 3900-39800

What I did discover about the better video card, IE 1070 was that there was only about a 4000pt increase so the 1080Ti kicking 4700-4800 sounds just about right

The hard thing to swallow is, 3.5-4 years ago we gained somewhere around 15000-18000pts for less money than would be spent today. I honestly think that says a-lot about processors and video cards today, their cost to value but of course the newer cards are better challenged with a far more modern benchmark programs, which Unfortunaly are not in line with the application.

I can see 3DM FireStrike DX11 as somewhat of a metering tool, but not a direct compare for P3D at this time.

I know its not for the faint of heart, but even with the CPU genre known for running higher clock on its own,...I would still delid it, but, I would also find a reputable site that shows me what is under that cap and where the 'gotchas' might be

NOTE: 6700K and up the wafer is about 1/2 the thickness of a Haswell so you must be careful not to apply too much torque as the wafer can flex and crack under too much stress. You would have to be horsing on it but everyone has their own idea of 'firm but gentle"

When it comes to delid, I use a flexible schick or other razor of that type.. the old time blade is the key.

Its not about digging, the ulra thin blade that flexes you can wrap electrical tape around one side, over and over to create a handle then use the flex of the blade to slowly eat into each corner, then the lid lock sides

Because you are not using a hard strait blade there is far, FAR less chance of scratch or damage and because the blade is so thin it gets under the cap so much easier.

I have always put the cap back on, I have never run one bareback

That's sort of a trick, you have to look for light between the cap and the slug by putting it back in place and holding it up to the light after cleaning the sealant off bot the cap and the wafer.. if you see any light then the inside of the cap needs to be polished out more

Back cap polish: I used a plastic tool that has a flat flexible blade and is 1/2 inch wide. I wet sand by wrapping 600 (to find the depth) then 800 then finally 1000 to polish to a mirror (typical automotive chrome polish can be used to finish things up) It doesn't take much

What I found is, when copper just starts to appear, that's about the right depth however that also depends on the amount of original silicone was used.. you have to be careful flat sanding the perimeter of the cap and not go very far, just clean off the silicone. Your fingernail works pretty good to get it all off the wafer itself.

The die gets coated with Coolabratory pro original, flows like mercury, only takes a miniscule drop the spread, then repeat for the inside of the cap where polished.

Last, I placed a few very small drops of superglue (not the TV stuff but Locktite Professional) on the underside of the cap edge and carefully placed it back down.. under a lighted magnifier the stain left behind by the silicone that marks the outline can still be seen.... or sometimes I will pre-fit the cap and mark the corners before applying glue ...once down and with little time to change position, .... it WONT come back up easy

I then take a ultra shine line farpie, (whoops, wait... reverse that) Ultra Fine Line Sharpie and carefully trace the perimeter very carefully under a magnifier. Once it dries I wipe the outside edge very gently with a low % rubbing alcohol wipe. If do it right, it takes on the appearance of the silicone and no one can tell the difference unless they get in there and delid it again..  not happening at the parts houses, its all visual and in this day and age, they don't care the just RMA price and forget about it..

NOTE: that last paragraph is only done if one might need to RMA, otherwise that last step can be skipped

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2017 at 7:38pm
Ok, a reality check this time for smooookin' fast and low latency DDR4, coming soon to an online dealer near you:  http://gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-releases-ultra-low-latency-cl17-trident-z-rgb-ddr4-4266mhz-kits

Not for the faint of heart, for I imagine one will pay $$$$ dearly for this level of performance.  That 2x8 4133 looks really sweet; might have to consider a new build next year.  I hope these kits will also be available without the colored lights, can't say I'll ever have use for such showboat bling.
Rod O.

i7 4770k @4.5/4.3, Asus Z87 Pro, 2x8GB DDR3 2400 cas 10, evga 1070 gtx SC, Corsair TX-750 PSU, Silver Arrow SB-E HSF

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2017 at 11:40am
Just remember that to be able to run frequencies like that you will need a board that is able to do it as well as a possibility of not running the highest stable CPU speed. The more slots populated and the faster the memory the harder it is on the processor memory controller.

From what I have been reading there is far more success running high memory speed like that when the memory selected is in fact listed on the motherboard QVL sheet

A lot of this new hardware comes with lights nowadays but from what I have seen the bling can be turned off.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2017 at 1:59pm
Thanks for the heads up on this.  I will definitely only consider asus mobos that at least can support such OC DDR4 speeds...or maybe it's time to give msi a try...or not (all my builds for the last 12 years have been asus with 0 regrets).
Rod O.

Avidean View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2017 at 3:03pm
The next question is which z370 Asus board to get? Will there really be a difference when it comes a 5ghz OC.

In other words if the CPU will do 5ghz does it really matter that much which board is used. I really don't see that getting and Apex board or a Maximus Hero is required. I am considering the Prime or the TUF
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 2:37am
Can't answer that

What I can say is

Skylake/Kaybylake/Coffeelake   There is no difference clock per clock with Haswell, none

KaybyLake will naturally clock higher than Skylake

CoffeeLake offers the same upclock ability of Kabylake, but if selected correctly with the right motherboard offers 40 lane CPU for true x16-x16 video card performance

What does this all mean?

nothing if you don't know what you are doing to take advantage of it and even then, it may only provide advantages to Orbx junkies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Wg4mr75yY

..till the next version of P3D whereby our hero's Rocky and Bullwinkle are in quite a pickle and must travel elsewhere to catch the dragon.............

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 2:23pm

What I can say is

Skylake/Kaybylake/Coffeelake   There is no difference clock per clock with Haswell, none

(snip)
I imagine this statement solely targets ESP based sims' performance.  Otherwise it's hyperbole, considering that you contradicted this (somewhat) with your 3DMark06 results above, and as well by other online posts of clock per clock benches.

This is what I see.  Processor base instruction set performance improvement is effectively dead.  It's things like SSE/AVX/FMA, IO capability, RAM density, core count and energy efficiency that have moved along.  And it seems ESP doesn't give a damn about these improvements...any hope in sight?

When I first got my 4770k to replace my 860, I ran a very old version of LINPACK which demonstrated only modest computational improvement between the processors.  Some would call foul, saying "Well, of course.  You didn't run the version optimized for the 4770k".  Running that version gave astounding improvements.  Why is this?  Read "This is what I see" above.  So hope problem solved...simply optimize ESP to use modern processor architecture...right? Confused
Rod O.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2017 at 1:23am
Hyperbole?

Go buy the hardware and find out yourself

I did.. put your money where your mouth is.. then we can talk

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2017 at 2:10am
Originally posted by Avidean Avidean wrote:

The next question is which z370 Asus board to get? Will there really be a difference when it comes a 5ghz OC.

In other words if the CPU will do 5ghz does it really matter that much which board is used. I really don't see that getting and Apex board or a Maximus Hero is required. I am considering the Prime or the TUF

The game has changed. In the past there were boards that would run the gauntlet for 180USD or under, today that has (somewhat) changed.

There are ASrock boards (Asus budget product) that will clock like crazy stable for 125USD..   but they are hit and miss.. the ones the review sites get are cherry picked. Unfortunately the game has changed. You either pony up for the 250+ dollar board, or, you roll the dice and hope for the best.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2017 at 5:46am
This thread is closed

goodnight, and.. good luck  <Edward R. Murrow>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic